PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted

ZombyWoof
2011-03-13, 12:49 AM
It's very clear that the cats in our house are not being taken care of. Here's the thing though: I do not want to own a pair of cats. I like having them around, they're sweet and lovable and playing with them is a good time, but I don't have the money or the inclination to feed them and maintain a litterbox, etc.

Serpentine
2011-03-13, 01:12 AM
Soooo... What? You have two cats, and you don't want them anymore even though you quite like them? Try advertising, see if anyone wants them, I guess...

ZombyWoof
2011-03-13, 01:14 AM
My housemate has two cats and she doesn't take care of them. They're not mine, but they're suffering.

Serpentine
2011-03-13, 01:19 AM
That would have been useful information to know :smallwink:
In what way/s are they not being looked after properly?

thubby
2011-03-13, 01:44 AM
call an animal care/wellfare group.

ZombyWoof
2011-03-13, 01:55 AM
That would have been useful information to know :smallwink:
In what way/s are they not being looked after properly?
We're pretty sure the litterbox hasn't been changed in... well long enough that we don't remember it. We're not sure they're eating. White cat threw up, and if you looked at black cat's stomach, you'd want to throw up. Plus her hair is thinning out more than usual. We have to make sure the dog's water bowl is constantly filled because it serves as the cat's bowl as well. Also again, I'm really not sure when the last time the cat's litterbox has been changed.

In addition they're often shut up in the hosuemate's room for hours at a time. Which wouldn't normally be an issue except that she has a high quantity of molding food and trash in there.

I really do love these cats... Blackcat is kind of a loner and used to be scared of me but when my roomate was petting her, I came over and we were properly introduced and she would NOT stop rubbing her face on my legs. Whitecat used to jump up in my lap whenever I was on the couch doing anything and just lie down and purr... but she stopped doing that and doesn't much care for being pet/held anymore (I suspect the owner has something to do with this).

wxdruid
2011-03-13, 11:03 AM
It sounds like both cats need to visit the vet for a check up. Which, unfortunately costs money. And, if your roommate isn't picking up after them and not feeding them properly than something needs to be done. To me it sounds like you need to either convince your roommate to do the right thing and keep up after them, or you need to convince your roommate to find a new home for them.

The third choice is that you take care of them, but you've already said you don't have the money. Humane societies and animal cop type organizations may hold you just as responsible for the animal's welfare since you live there with the cats (something to remember).

The end result if nothing is done may be the long slow decline and death of the two cats.

If I might ask, how is the dog doing? Does the dog get enough food? Who does the dog belong to?

I hope things will get resolved in a way that is beneficial to the people and the pets.

ZombyWoof
2011-03-13, 01:12 PM
The doggy's fine. He's a huge baby and won't eat until his master's awake so occasionally he throws up his empty stomach but I don't blame his master for that: there's plenty of food in the bowl at all times (he's free-fed) and plenty of water, and he gets walked 2-3 times a day by various people, and gets plenty of attention.

Soilborn
2011-03-13, 01:17 PM
I'm worried about the dog a bit too.

I'd say the cats' current problems are clearly the cause of your roommate's negligence. Many of these problems could have easily been avoided if proper care was given, but it sounds like they've advanced beyond the stage where simply fixing your roommate's habits are going to cure anything. A little proactivity on your part wouldn't have hurt, but I'm not here to chastise.

Right now I'd clean the liter box first thing. If your roommate refuses to clean his or her room don't allow them take the cats in there or, at the very least, insist that the door remain open so that they can leave if they wish.

A vet visit would be the next step, but as you said you don't have the money. Find someone you know who does and will take better care of them, and try to trade the animals off. Your roommate may protest, but the welfare of the cats really comes first.

Failing that, a welfare group is your best bet. These guys will waltz in, judge the living conditions, and forcibly take the animals if need be. Make sure you carefully choose one that you know will not put the animals down.

If anything I'd like your address so I can come over there and slap your roommate around for a bit. I've lived with an extremely messy roommate before, but that would have ended a lot more quickly if he had been too lazy to clean molding food out of his room. Extra backhands if your roommate refuses to let the animals go.

Cyrion
2011-03-13, 01:27 PM
Also be aware that if the cat box isn't cleaned, at some point the cats will start using other places. If you're renting, this can lead to expensive problems for you and your housemates.

Do you live near a vet school? If so, theCay might have a cheaper-than-average clinic or at the very least a kind vet student who can give you advice regarding how seriously the cats need medical attention.

Keep your eye out for pet store vet days. Some times they'll have free/cheap clinics.

What kind of food does the dog get? If he's free-fed, do the cats have access to it? Keep an eye out and see if the cats are getting fed on their own or if they're eating the dog's food. Cats don't starve well- they go into organ failure quickly and have a hard time recovering. (No, starving isn't good for anything, but cats fare particularly poorly.)

grimbold
2011-03-13, 01:28 PM
Call animalcontrol
now
these cats are in some serious trouble

ZombyWoof
2011-03-13, 02:08 PM
I'm worried about the dog a bit too.
Totally different owner. His only real problems are that he's a huge baby and he's a tad bit spoiled, but whatever. He's a sweatheart and everyone loves him. They fixed the problem of him not eating in the morning by putting a second foodbowl where his master sleeps... and he's been eating fine.

What kind of food does the dog get? If he's free-fed, do the cats have access to it? Keep an eye out and see if the cats are getting fed on their own or if they're eating the dog's food. Cats don't starve well- they go into organ failure quickly and have a hard time recovering. (No, starving isn't good for anything, but cats fare particularly poorly.)
Dog... food? And yeah, the cats have access though I'm not sure they're eating it. We trained them pretty hard not to (because this particular dog has a weird mindset: he'll think the food belongs to the cats and be REALLY disinclined to eating out of his food bowl. I suspect that the cats eat a bit out of it anyways which isn't good for them (dog food tends to be heavy on grains, after all) but I'd rather eat McDonalds than starve to death.

Savannah
2011-03-13, 02:38 PM
You've had the answer a couple of times now, but I'll say it too, anyway: Call your local animal shelter. Now. (If you don't know the number and aren't willing to look for it, I will be happy to try to find it for you if you are willing to say approximately where you live.)

Your roommate is neglecting these cats to the point that they will die if this continues. If you're not willing to help them, you are just as responsible for their deaths. Call your animal shelter.

The fact that your roommate has such a messy room as well might be a sign that they have some sort of mental problem, although no one but a professional can actually say that for sure. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to force a person to get help if they don't want to, so there may not be much you can do for her. But really, what matters is that these cats are being severely neglected and no one in the house actually cares enough about them to see that they get help. Be that person. Call your animal shelter.

Seppha
2011-03-13, 02:46 PM
The cats need help as quickly as possible. First talk to the owner and see if she even realises what she is doing is wrong, she might want to take them to a vet. Otherwise you should really take things further by informing a cat shelter or pet welfare. They would take them to the vet from there and hopefully find them a new home.

This person seems to be genuinely unable to look after her pets and so shouldn't keep them for their own sake. They deserve better living than this. It needs to be done quickly in the hope that there is no irrepareable damage. It's tough to do so I wish you good luck.

Lycan 01
2011-03-13, 06:46 PM
I'm just curious, and not trying to be sarcastic or anything... But why can't you clean the litterbox? :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2011-03-13, 06:47 PM
My housemate has two cats and she doesn't take care of them. They're not mine, but they're suffering.

Talk to them about this in a civil way.

Serpentine
2011-03-13, 09:32 PM
Hokay, so.
Step 1: Talk to the owner about your concerns. Don't skimp on it out of fear, it might be awkward but you need to get all of it clear with her in one go. Explain that you're worried about the condition of the cats, and that they either need to be looked after better or, if the owner doesn't feel like they can, they need to be found a new home.
Step 2: Take them to a vet for a check-up. Find out just what their condition is. This might help convince the owner that they need better care.
Step 3: Give the owner a chance to change. Say, a week or two. If they do, great. If they don't, go to step 4.
Step 4: Tell the owner that this is not an acceptable condition for the cats. Offer to help find them a new home (I recommend starting with newspapers and posters before moving to animal shelters, to give them a better chance). Inform the owner that if they don't want to give the cats away, then they either needs to clean up their act immediately or your concience will dictate that you contact animal welfare.
Step 5: Act. Either find a new home, or contact animal welfare if the owner doesn't change.

I don't know that there's anything else you can do...

Abies
2011-03-13, 11:44 PM
Just because no one has mentioned it yet... "Free-feeding" a dog is entirely contrary to any sort of responsible dog-feeding strategy..

Of course, that pales in comparison with the neglect being shown to the cats but still, the problems with the dog needs to be addressed as well.

The dog waiting for its master to eat is not an indication of it being a "big baby", but just that it is well-socialized as a submissive pack member. This is not bad. Its owner needs to make the time in their day to allow the dog to eat after they have eaten. This is the way "good dogs" are fed.

The issue with the cats is several orders of magnitude worse. Failing to change the litterbox regularly (1/day per cat, more if you use wheat litter...) is asking for them to potty elsewhere. What does this mean? Your roommate is a filthy person, no ifs, ands or buts.

My advice? You've apparently lived in this arrangement for quite awhile. You have no apparent immediate concern for the animals. Move out, get roommates who are responsible people capable of caring for the living things they have chosen to custodian. If for some reason at this late point you have taken a legitimate concern for the woefully neglected companion animals kept in your home, call animal control after you get out. You will be held equally accountable for any perceived neglect if they are notified while you still live there.

thubby
2011-03-14, 06:16 AM
Just because no one has mentioned it yet... "Free-feeding" a dog is entirely contrary to any sort of responsible dog-feeding strategy..

only if they eat too much or not enough on their own. IME, dogs raised on free feeding dont have a problem.

Black_Pants_Guy
2011-03-15, 06:20 AM
You need to get those Cats veterinary attention. NOW.:smallannoyed: