PDA

View Full Version : Just... stunned

TheThan
2011-03-14, 12:48 AM
Something quite amazing and awesome happened to me just now, Iím so amazed that Iím a bit stunned. So Iíve got to share it.

My grandparents recently sold their house and moved. Theyíre currently in the business of unpacking (anyone whoís ever moved probably knows how long that can take). Anyway my grandmother was unpacking a box and found this little leather container in the bottom of it. She pulls it out and opens it up and behold inside is a twelve hole chromatic Hohner harmonica in the key of ďCĒ thatís practically brand new. Well she remembered me, who happens to play the harmonica (well studying it). So she gave it to me, turns out this harmonica belonged to my great grandfather that passed away several years ago.

Now Iíve been at a lan party this weekend so I literally just got it as I got home. She gave it to my dad (whoís also a musician) at church this morning and he passed it on to me. Naturally Iím going to call her in the morning and thank her for it. But still Iím justÖ stunnedÖ

Thanqol
2011-03-14, 01:57 AM
The world is a wonderful place where people do amazing things all the time for no reason.

Temotei
2011-03-14, 02:21 AM
Harmonicas are great. :smallcool:

rakkoon
2011-03-14, 02:59 AM
Congratulations, play his favourite song in honour of him I would say

Fri
2011-03-14, 04:56 AM
ancient ancestral heirlooms... always awesome, really. I bet they're magical and would hold importance in your obvious quest to save the world. Or at least would be, if you could get your hand on some starmetal.

Lord Loss
2011-03-14, 07:43 AM
That's very awesome. I tried playing the harmonica myself a while back. I could get every note but one... after a few weeks I gave it up. In a similar vein (although note quite as cool as a family heirloom), I just learnt thar one of my favorite relatives, my great-aunt, who I rarely see/talk to and who has quite a few relatives she sees more often than me has informed my parents that (I'm using similar words here) as soon as I get my license she's giving me her car and that they can't try to talk her out of it. I was very, very surprised/awed/honored when they told me about it.

TheThan
2011-03-14, 06:42 PM
ancient ancestral heirlooms... always awesome, really. I bet they're magical and would hold importance in your obvious quest to save the world. Or at least would be, if you could get your hand on some starmetal.

Haha, now I need more levels in bard.
Anyway Iíve been piddling around with it, and so far I LOVE it. Gotta learn how to play something now.

Mephibosheth
2011-03-14, 06:58 PM
Awesome! Which of the Hohner chromatics is it? A chromonica? Can't really go wrong with any of the Hohners, though. I play mostly diatonic but fool around with a really cheap chromatic on occasion. It's a lot of fun! Congrats on an excellent stroke of luck!

Incidentally, do you ever listen to Toots Thielmans? Fantastic chromatic player.

TheThan
2011-03-14, 07:06 PM
Awesome! Which of the Hohner chromatics is it? A chromonica? Can't really go wrong with any of the Hohners, though. I play mostly diatonic but fool around with a really cheap chromatic on occasion. It's a lot of fun! Congrats on an excellent stroke of luck!

Incidentally, do you ever listen to Toots Thielmans? Fantastic chromatic player.

its a Chromatica 64, 12 hole. I've also got two golden melody diatonic harmonicas (one in "C" the other "G"), and a Pocket Pal also in "C".
I haven't heard of Toots, but i'll look him up. thanks for the info, i try to learn from every person/source I can find.

Mephibosheth
2011-03-14, 08:44 PM
I haven't heard of Toots, but i'll look him up. thanks for the info, i try to learn from every person/source I can find.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpKbvoIPE8) one of my favorite tunes of his, C Jam Blues.

TheThan
2011-03-15, 02:47 PM
Wow Iím very impressed, I really enjoyed that link and am listening to more.
Some people say harmonicas are only for the blues. But they can fit into just about any style or genre of music. Iíve heard harmonica in country, blues, jazz, swing, bluegrass, rock, classical, polka, folk and gospel.
Thatís what I like about the harmonica, you can convey so much emotion into it that itís just astounding.

Mephibosheth
2011-03-15, 02:58 PM
Indeed. It's deceptively simple, but you can do so much with it and can find a place for it in almost any musical style. I play blues and Western folk styles most often, but I've also used harmonica for Pakistani and Afghan music. I've also always wanted to play chromatic harp in the horn section of a ska band.