PDA

View Full Version : Symbiont Support 3.5 PEACH

Veyr
2011-03-14, 10:41 PM
OK, so the idea is, Magic of Eberron contains a race, the Daelkyr Half-blood, and the Symbionts and Grafts as Treasure sidebar. Both contain tables that reference each of the Symbionts in Eberron Campaign Setting and Magic of Eberron.

However, a great many Symbionts were already printed in the Fiend Folio, and were not included in either table. I'm expanding both of these tables to include the Fiend Folio Symbionts, plus any homebrew Symbionts that I come across. I will not, for obvious reasons, be reproducing the entries from Magic of Eberron in either table.

More information on Symbionts and related items can be found in my Fleshwarping (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190350) list.

Table 1: Daelkyr Half-blood Personal Symbionts
These entries are in addition to those found in Magic of Eberron, pg. 37.
{table=head]Level | Choices1

1st | Restless ArmorEG

5th | Angel ClawEG, Flame GloveEG, Psionic SinewFF, Skull MantleEG

10th | Eldritch ClawEG, SpellknightEG, Sky ScourgeEG

15th | Cerebral HoodFF

20th | Living Breastplate2, Mind LeechFF[/table]1 All choices from an earlier level are also available to a higher-level Daelkyr half-blood.
2 The Living Breastplate was presumably not included in the original table intentionally; I have added it at 20th because it seems appropriate.
EG Homebrew symbiont by EdroGrimshell et al. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10229527&postcount=2)
FF Published in Fiend Folio. Only the Cerebral Symbionts (that is, not the Fiendish Symbionts) are included, reflecting the fact that, in the Eberron campaign setting, Illithids are the creations and pawns of the Daelkyr, and therefore Daelkyr Half-bloods would have access to them.

Table 2: Symbionts as Treasure
These entries are in addition to those found in Magic of Eberron, pg. 154.
{table=head]Symbiont | GP Equivalent

Angel ClawEG | 8,000

Cerebral HoodFF | No gp value*

Eldritch ClawEG | 15,000

Fiendish FamiliarFF | 6,000

Flame GloveEG | 2,000

Ghostly VisageFF | 25,000

GutwormFF | 10,000

Mind LeechFF | No gp value*

Psionic SinewFF | 25,000

Restless ArmorEG | 500

Soul TickFF | 10,000

SpellknightEG | 15,000

Skull MantleEG | 15,000

Sky ScourgeEG | 15,000[/table]EG Homebrew symbiont by EdroGrimshell et al. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10229527&postcount=2)
FF Published in Fiend Folio.

* The Cerebral Hood and Mind Leech symbionts are frighteningly good: the base cost for an item that does what each of them does (barring Ego conflicts and the Int damage) is 110,000 and 275,000 gp, respectively. Moreover, they're both much better than such an item would be, because they are creatures with their own actions, and therefore using their abilities doesn't require yours. However, the DC on all of their abilities is 17, which by the time you could afford these kinds of costs, is worthless. Thus, I suggest treating them as Minor Artifacts: they are very much rewards, powerful ones, for a DM to give players. Of course, getting one probably means getting past someone who is using them, which should be quite challenging.

EdroGrimshell
2011-04-11, 04:36 PM
How would you price the carapace symbionts from Dragon 308?

Veyr
2011-04-11, 04:58 PM
I don't have Dragon 308, so I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. That fact's been annoying me, actually.

Since Edro's bumped this for me (thanks!), I'll take this opportunity to ask once again for PEACH.

EdroGrimshell
2011-04-11, 05:45 PM
I don't have Dragon 308, so I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. That fact's been annoying me, actually.

Since Erdo's bumped this for me (thanks!), I'll take this opportunity to ask once again for PEACH.

It's Edro, and your welcome :smallbiggrin:

Veyr
2011-04-11, 06:13 PM
Of course it is, I don't know what you're talking about! :smalleek:

Sorry about that...

EdroGrimshell
2011-04-11, 10:43 PM
Sorry about that...

Everyone does it, i've gotten used to it

nyarlathotep
2011-04-12, 11:31 AM
This all looks fine through the cerebral hood and mind leech are rather poorly designed symbiotes for PCs from the get go, overpowered at low levels but useless at high levels.

Veyr
2011-04-12, 12:18 PM
I agree, I'm not a fan of either. Though you can share spells with your symbionts, which might make something like Bear's Endurance or Fox's Cunning effective enough at upping the DCs so as to be worth using?