PDA

View Full Version : The Black Stone [IC]

Deadly
2011-03-15, 11:34 AM
Anon and Honikan, your characters represent the nation of Alyúme. Deadkoo, as the only ghoul in the party you represent Méru. There are other people with you on the ship, from both nations and both races (possibly even some humans). Their roles on the expedition are not specified, and you each probably know a bunch of them. Feel free to make basic assumptions about them.

{table="head"]Character|Player|Race|Class|Role
Algol (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=281857)|deadkoo|Ghoul|Fighte r|Defender
Ilvaen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=282335)|Anonomuss|Lycan|Cler ic|Leader
Ren Vyrilik (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=282012)|Honikan|Lycan|Hunter Ranger|Striker[/table]

The ship set sail for the island of Šetlon, loaded with equipment and several people. The weather was good, and the captain assured you that the ship would arrive in good time at a small port town on the eastern coast of the island.

On the second day of your voyage, the island appeared on the horizon, and a few hours later you docked in the small village. Stepping off the ship, however, you are greeted by silence. The village is quiet, and there are no signs of any villagers or even animals.

While the crew begins unloading the ship, the captain walks up to you and looks about the empty village "I was told the village was inhabited last our ships came this way, but it looks mighty quiet to me now. I had hoped we could find a local guide to lead us inland."

A crude and ugly map of the village, but I hope it serves. You are, naturally, standing on the docks, by the ship.

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/villagemap.png

Anonomuss
2011-03-15, 11:44 AM
Ilvaen

"It is quiet." Ilvaen mused, looking about. "But still, Captain, there may be someone around here, who's just being impolite. Not that such a person is quite who we're looking for, but they may be adequate for our needs."

deadkoo
2011-03-15, 02:02 PM
The heavily armored ghoul glances at the quiet village, his face impassive. Glancing at the lycan cleric, Are you offering your services Ilvaen?

Anonomuss
2011-03-15, 02:10 PM
Ilvaen

"Oh, ho ho Algol. Well done. I see your sense of wit was not lost to us on that voyage. Unfortunately, the Captain was referring to 'locals' of which I am not one. But if it pleases you, I'll be happy to wander into some of these abandoned hovels, and tell them Algol wants a word. Maybe ask one or two of them for directions, and see what I can find."

Deadly
2011-03-15, 02:49 PM
The captain looks between you before speaking "It would be quite useful to know if there are anyone here, if you could look around. The crew and I can take care of the ship meanwhile."

Honikan
2011-03-15, 03:05 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"I don't believe trouncing around an abandonded town is the best choice at this moment. Maybe we should avoid the town for now, or send a messenger animal in. Risking ourselves so early on would be foolish, and I wish not to let myself fall so easily to some preditor waiting for its next meal."

deadkoo
2011-03-15, 04:36 PM
Glancing at the bow wielding lycan, Algol shakes his head.

So much for the bravery of the Lycan... he mutters under his breath. Turning to grin a teeth full of yellow at Ilvaen. I do however agree. I can't think of a good reason for this village to be so quiet...

With that the ghoul loosen's his bastard sword in it's sheath across his shoulder.

Honikan
2011-03-15, 08:34 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"Not cowardice, cautiousness. But if you wish to get yourself killed, I shall attept to prevent that inevitability. Of course, no offense intended."
Ren bows slightly to show SOME curtesy.

Anonomuss
2011-03-16, 12:20 PM
Ilvaen

"Well, maybe if we just take a look together we'll be able to keep an eye on one another." Ilvaen said, inclining his head towards Algol "and maybe your big sword might come in handy."

Honikan
2011-03-16, 02:48 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren sighs and draws his bow, then starts to move towards the abandoned town. He turns around and says

"Well Algol, lead the way mighty warrior. Honestly, neither of us," pointing to Ilvaen and himself, "could take much of a beating. It would be better if I take up the rear as well."

Ren makes a "move forward" gesture with his hands and waits for Algol.

Deadly
2011-03-17, 04:22 PM
"If you need help just make a noise, otherwise I'll be on the ship" the captain says, pointing a thumb back at the ship before heading on board again

Honikan
2011-03-18, 02:34 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"Guess I'm first.
Ren walks calmly forward, glancing cautiously at any little thing that moves. Being suspicious can be a trait that sometimes overwhelms him. Ren sees a piece of paper get picked up by the wind an immediately shoots at arrow through it.

He sighs, thinking he overreacted.

Perception - [roll0]
Sanity - never mind

Deadly
2011-03-19, 06:16 AM
You enter the small village. Looking around the houses seem abandoned. A few have broken windows, but otherwise the place looks like people simply up and vanished.

Ren suddenly catches a movement out of the corner of his eyes. Turning around he gets a brief glimpse of something running and immediately disappearing behind a large house. Ren could swear it was a werewolf, coming from the docks.

Honikan
2011-03-19, 06:50 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"Did anyone else see that? I could swear that I saw... um..."
Ren shakes his head, trying to get the images outs of his head. Was it real, or his imagination?
"Just be on your guard, ok?"
Ren keeps walking as he mutters softly to himself.

Anonomuss
2011-03-20, 07:28 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen puts his hand on Ren's shoulder. "I'm all for keeping on our toes. What do you think you saw?" he asked.

Honikan
2011-03-20, 03:07 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"Do you remember there being any werewolves on the ship?"
He points at one building behind them.
"I saw one run from there,"
He points at another,
"to there. I'm just hoping that The Nightingale isn't showing me visions again, I feel as though I go insane from them."
Ren shakes his head.
"Did you see it?"

Deadly
2011-03-22, 06:30 AM
You don't get to ponder the issue for long, before a sudden violent explosion in the direction of the docks shatters the peace. A massive plume of fire and smoke rises from the docks, mixed with screams and howls and soon the sound of desperate fighting.

In immediate response to the inferno, several beasts leap out at you from hiding behind buildings or on the roofs. Those on the roof rain stones down upon your heads, while a large brutish werewolf holding a wicked club leads a bunch of others on the ground. Holding its weapon high it howls in rage at you "Vrehjo oruknar!" None of you understand it, but you got the gist of it. The others howl in response.

10 damage to Ren from werewolves

9 damage to Ilvaen from werewolves

The unmarked enemies on the map are werewolves, those on the roofs armed with stones, those on the ground unarmed. The one marked W is the large werewolf with the club.

You just act in the order you post.

Ilvaen: 47/56 hp
Algol: 67/67 hp
Ren: 46/56 hp
Large Werewolf:
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port0.png

Anonomuss
2011-03-22, 10:23 AM
Ilvaen

Stumbling backwards from the werewolves, Ilvaen reaches into his pocket, mumbling under his breath. "Where is it... I know I kept it somewhere...Oh, here it is. How does it go again...Oh, yes. Back creatures, fear the Nightingale's Brilliance! Ilvaen raised a holy symbol of the nightingale above his head, and it began to glow brightly, becoming almost painful to look upon.

Shift to J9

Astral Flare
G8-[roll0] v Will
H7-[roll1] v Will
J11-[roll2] v Will
K6-[roll3] v Will
L11-[roll4] v Will

On a hit they are dazed until the end of Ilvaen's next turn.

Honikan
2011-03-22, 08:42 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Startled be the sudden onrush, he quickly slings his bow over his back and pulls out his spear. This half-spear has a blade slightly larger than a dagger attached to it, making it seem a little more fearsome. He grips the spear with two hands and slashes forcefully down on the shoulder of the werewolf in front of him, then jumps back and around the corner to assist Ilvaen.

I make J11 my Quarry (+1d8 dmg)

Parting Strike on J11
Attack vs AC: (1d20+12)[26]
Hit: (2d8+9)[12]
Quarry: (1d8)[1]
Target is slowed until the end of my next turn
Shift to K8 (3 squares)

Deadly
2011-03-25, 05:26 AM
Ilvaen dazes three of the werewolves with his holy light, while Ren and Algol try to bring the beasts down. Ren's arrow rips through the throat of his target, yet it doesn't seem to notice and continues its assault before finally collapsing with a furious growl. Algol nearly decapitates one and cuts deep into another, yet they too are slow to fall, lashing out at him in response before finally collapsing.

The large werewolf charges at Algol, bringing its club down upon him, while the other werewolves rain stones down upon Ren and Ilvaen.

Ilvaen misses J11 and K6. G8, H7 and L11 are dazed til end of Ilvaen's turn.

Ren hits J11. It remains standing.

Algol's actions: Passing attack. Algol hits G8 and H7. They remain standing.

12 damage to Algol from large werewolf.

Werewolves miss Algol. 5 damage to Ren from K6. 15 damage to Ilvaen from G13, I14 and L11. J11 moves to J10, Critical hit against Ilvaen, 6 damage.

Ilvaen is exposed to the dark curse, and needs to make a saving throw at the end of the encounter to avoid being infected.

G8, H7 and J10 die at the end of their turns.

Your turn again.

Ilvaen: 26/56 hp, exposed to curse
Algol: 55/67 hp
Ren: 41/56 hp

Large Werewolf:
Werewolves: dazed til end of Ilvaen's turn (L11), slowed til end of Ren's turn (J10)

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port1.png

Honikan
2011-03-25, 04:28 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren spins his spear around and sticks it into the ground. Then unsheathes his bow and knocks two arrows. Ren glances around quickly, trying to decide on a target. "Take out the ones on the roof!" Ren fires on arrow at the werewolf above him, and the other at the large and vicious one charging Algol, yelling "Duck, Algol!" as he does so.

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on the Large Werewolf G7

Twin Shot
Attack vs AC K6: [roll0]
Attack vs AC G7: (1d20+11)[18]
Hit K6: [roll2]
Hit G7: [roll3]
Hunter's Quarry G7: [roll4]

Anonomuss
2011-03-26, 12:35 PM
Ilvaen

Wincing from the pain of the wounds inflicted upon him, Ilvaen mumbles a prayer to the nightingale and sighs as his wounds begin to close over. He raises the holy symbol once more, focusing on the large werewolf, he released bands of light that flew to hinder its movement and attacks.

Denunciation-[roll0] v will
On a hit, the werewolf is dazed and takes a -3 penalty to defences and attack rolls until the end of Ilvaen's next turn.

Minor Action-Bastion of Health on Ilvaen
He spends a Healing Surge and regains [roll1] hit points.

Deadly
2011-03-27, 04:59 AM
Ren fires twice, missing the big one, but impaling the one on the roof who nonetheless remains defiantly standing, throwing a stone in return before finally collapsing.

Ilvaen fails to hinder the large wolf, but does find the pain from his wounds much diminished.

Algol pushes back the large wolf with hard steel and determination. While the ones on the roof continue their stone throwing, the large wolf bites at Algol, managing to find a hole in his defenses.

Honikan: Don't edit rolls, and don't make your edits look like they are rolls from the forum roller. If something went wrong with you rolls, post a note OOC instead, maybe with new rolls if necessary.

Ren hits K6. It remains standing

Ilvaen misses the big wolf, but regains 33 hp.

Algol's actions: Tide of Iron on big wolf. 11 damage to big wolf from Algol and it is pushed 1 square, Algol moves into its former square.

6 damage to Algol from big wolf, and he takes 5 ongoing damage (save ends) and is exposed to the werewolf curse.

The big wolf regains 5 hp.

Critical hit to Ren from K6, 6 damage. G13 and I14 miss Ilvaen. 9 damage to Algol from F5 and L11.

K6 dies.

Your turn again.

Ilvaen: 56/56 hp, exposed to curse
Algol: 40/67 hp, ongoing 5 (save ends), exposed to curse
Ren: 35/56 hp

Large Werewolf: Barely wounded, Quarry
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port2.png

Honikan
2011-03-28, 10:35 PM
Ren Vryilik

Ren swears, drawing two more arrows. "You're mine, now die!" Ren yells at the beastly-looking werewolf, loosing the first shot right at the large werewolf, with the second at a strategic angle on the bow, aiming at the werewolf on the roof above.

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on F7

Standard: Twin Shot on F7 and F5
Attack vs AC on F7: [roll0]
Attack vs AC on F5: [roll1]
Hit on F7: [roll2]
Hit on F5: [roll3]
Hunter's Quarry on F7: [roll4]

EDIT: add cold damage to this shots

Anonomuss
2011-03-29, 04:33 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen tries again to use the holy symbol to restrain the werewolf, although it is slightly less suprising this time.

Bane on Werewolf Non-minion
[roll0] v Will
On a hit it takes a -4 to all defences and to its attacks until the end of Ilvaen's next turn.

Deadly
2011-03-31, 05:07 AM
Neither Ren nor Ilvaen have any luck against the beasts, though Algol fares better as he continues to press the large werewolf.

The large werewolf shows no sign of giving up, however, striking out at the ghoul with its massive club. The werewolves on the roofs likewise continue their assault, though most of the stones miss you.

Ren misses both.

Ilvaen misses too :smallfrown: The dice really don't favour you lately.

5 damage (ongoing) to algol

Algol's actions: Rain of Steel. Tide of Iron against large werewolf, 9 damage and it is pushed 1 square. Algol moves into its former space. Algol fails his save against ongoing.

Large werewolf regains 5 hp. 7 damage to large werewolf from Algol's rain of steel.

8 damage to Algol from large werewolf.

4 damage to Algol from F5. G13 and I14 missed Ilvaen.

Your turns again.

Algol: 23/67 hp, ongoing 5 (save ends), exposed to curse
Ren: 35/56 hp

Large Werewolf: Wounded, Quarry
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port3.png

Honikan
2011-03-31, 10:53 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren rushes forward to assist Algol, firing a flurry of arrows as he does. "Hey, you big brute!" he shouts at the Large Werewolf.

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on E7

Standard: Skirmishing Shot on E7
Effect: move to E9
Attack:[roll0]
Hit: [roll1] cold damage
Hunter's Quarry: [roll2]

Anonomuss
2011-04-01, 02:58 AM
Ilvaen

Seeing Algol begin to falter, Ilvaen mutters a prayer to the nightingale, to hearten Algol against the assault of the werewolf. At the same time, he removed some bandages from his pack and began to bandage Ren's wounds.

Healing Word on Algol-[roll0] and HS hp regained.
Physician's Care on Ren- He can spend a healing surge and regain an additional [roll1]hp

Deadly
2011-04-01, 05:58 AM
Ren delivers a cut to the large werewolf, while Ilvaen tries to keep everyone standing and Algol continues his attack against the beast.

The large werewolf strikes out at Algol again, but misses. The werewolves on the roof have little luck as well.

20 damage to large werewolf from Ren.

Algol spends surge and regains 34 hp.

Ren spends surge and regains 25 hp.

5 damage (ongoing) to algol. 11 damage to large werewolf from Algol. Algol fails his save against ongoing damage.

Large werewolf regains 5 hp. 5 damage to large werewolf from Algol.

Large werewolf missed Algol.

1 damage to Algol from F5.

Your turns again.

Algol: 51/67 hp, ongoing 5 (save ends), exposed to curse
Ren: 56/56 hp
Large Werewolf: Wounded, Quarry
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port4.png

Honikan
2011-04-01, 09:06 AM
Ren Vyrilik
Ren begins to growl, angered with the resilience of the larger werewolf, "Why won't you just die?!" He fires two arrows, aiming for the werewolf's weak points.

Standard: Twin shot on E7
Attack vs AC: [roll0]
Attack vs AC 2: [roll1]
Hit: [roll2] cold damage
Hit 2: [roll3] cold damage
Hunter's Quarry: [roll4]

Anonomuss
2011-04-02, 05:00 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen tries once more to limit the werewolf's ability to defend itself from his allies attacks.

[roll0] v Reflex
On a hit, the werewolf takes a -2 to all defences until the end of Ilvaen's next turn, and the next ally to hit it regains 5hp.

Deadly
2011-04-03, 04:31 AM
Algol and Ren continue fighting with the large werewolf, while Ilvaen seems to have very little luck so far.

15 damage to large werewolf from Ren. Missed with second attack

Ilvaen missed.

5 damage (ongoing) to Algol. 14 damage to large werewolf from Algol. Algol saves against ongoing damage.

Large werewolf regains 5 hp. 7 damage to large werewolf from Algol.

8 damage and 5 ongoing (save ends) to Algol from large werewolf.

6 damage to Ilvaen from G13.

Your turns again.

Ilvaen: 50/56 hp, exposed to curse
Algol: 38/67 hp, ongoing 5 damage (save ends), exposed to curse

Large Werewolf: Bloodied, Quarry
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port4.png

Honikan
2011-04-04, 06:53 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren sees a perfect opportunity to strike the severly wounded werewolf. He runs forward with his crude spear and spins in a dance of death, slicing at the werewolf. "One chance." he said to himself. Almost as if he'd done this before. He attacked mercilessly.

Move to E8

Standard: Finishing Cut on E7
Attack vs AC:
Hit: [roll1]
Second Hit (Bloodied): [roll2]
Hunter's Quarry: [roll3]

Hit: [roll]2d8
Second Hit (Bloodied): 2d8
Just got Internet today, I will be spararic on posting, seeing as it's 2:00 AM here.

EDIT: I do more damage

Anonomuss
2011-04-05, 02:32 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen shakes his holy symbol in desperation, and more light flows from it.

Astral Seal
[roll0] v Reflex
On a hit, the werewolf takes a -2 to all defences until the end of Ilvaen's next turn, and the next ally to hit it regains 5hp.

Deadly
2011-04-05, 07:18 AM
The battle continues, even as the large werewolf seems about to fall.

Ren missed.

Ilvaen hits.

5 damage (ongoing) to Algol. 12 damage to large werewolf from Algol. Algol regains 5 hp. Algol saves against ongoing damage.

Werewolf regains 5 hp. 8 damage to werewolf from Algol. 6 damage and ongoing 5 (save ends) to Algol from werewolf.

2 damage to Algol from F5. 2 damage to Ilvaen from I14.

Ilvaen: 48/56 hp, exposed to curse
Algol: 30/67 hp, ongoing 5 (save ends), exposed to curse

Large Werewolf: Near Death, Quarry, -2 defences til end of Ilvaen's turn
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port5.png

Honikan
2011-04-06, 11:54 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Frustrated, he shoots at the werewolf in desperation to keep Algol going. Pulling his bow and shooting at point blank.

Minor: Hunter's Quarry

Standard: Twin Strike
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Hit 1: [roll2] cold damage
Hit 2: [roll3] cold damage

Anonomuss
2011-04-08, 02:49 AM
Ilvaen

Heartened by his sucess Ilvaen tries again to restrain the werewolf.

Astral Seal-[roll0] v Reflex

Deadly
2011-04-08, 07:00 AM
The large werewolf finally collapses from its wounds.

12 damage to large werewolf from Ren.

Ilvaen hits again.

5 damage to Algol (ongoing).

Algol kills the large werewolf and regains 5 hp from Ilvaen's power.

Algol fails his save against ongoing damage.

4 damage to Ilvaen from G13.

Ilvaen: 44/56 hp, exposed to curse
Algol: 30/67 hp, ongoing 5 (save ends), exposed to curse
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port6.png

Honikan
2011-04-11, 09:13 AM
Ren Vyrilik

With the Werewolf Leader dispatched, Ren could now take down the annoying ones throwing stones. He ran to the center of their view and began to spin in a circle, taking out two at a time in rapid succession.

Move to I10

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on G13

Standard: Twin Shot on G13 and I14
Attack G13: [roll0]
Attack I14: [roll1]
Hit G13: [roll2]
Hit I14: [roll3]
Hunter's Quarry: [roll4]

Anonomuss
2011-04-12, 04:26 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen continues channelling power through his holy symbol.

Astral Sea-[roll0] v Reflex on F5
On a hit, the minion takes a -2 to all defences until the end of Ilvaen's next turn, and the next ally to hit it regains 5hp.

Deadly
2011-04-12, 05:16 AM
As the large werewolf falls the werewolves on the roofs drop their stones and leap down on the ground, charging at the closest person.

Ren hits G13.

Ilvaen hits F5.

5 damage (ongoing) to Algol. Algol draws his bow and shoots F5. Algol regains 5 hp. Algol saves against ongoing.

20 damage to Ren from werewolves, Ren is exposed to the curse

The two werewolves who were hit dies.

Your turns once again.

Algol: 30/67 hp, exposed to curse
Ren: 36/56 hp, exposed to curse
Werewolves:

http://www.tangveje.dk/pbp/bs/grid/port7.png

Honikan
2011-04-12, 04:57 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren takes a step backwards and fires an arrow at each of the werewolf's in front of him. Confident that the end for them is near. He grins.

Move: shift to H9

Twin Shot
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Hit 1: [roll2]
Hit 2: [roll3]

Anonomuss
2011-04-14, 03:50 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen steps backwards away from the werewolves. Lighting one on fire with light from his holy symbol.

Shift back to J8
Sacred Flame-[roll0] v Reflex on one of the minions, if they're still alive. Ilvaen is stunned until the end of his next turn if it hits.
It will take [roll1] radiant damage, and Ren gets 6 thp.

Deadly
2011-04-14, 01:11 PM
Ren and Ilvaen struggle against the remaining two beasts, while Algol manages to cut down one even as it strikes back at him. You quickly finish off the last straggler and surveys the carnage.

The sounds of battle and a large plume of black smoke still rises from the docks.

Ren misses

Ilvaen misses

Algol hits I11, pushes it to J12 and steps into I11.

4 damage to Algol from J12. J12 dies.

I assume you finish off the last one on your next round. No need playing it out.

Algol: 26/67 hp, exposed to curse
Ren: 36/56 hp, exposed to curse

Honikan
2011-04-14, 01:30 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren looks around, "What do youbthink was their motive? Besides protecting land, they must be here for some purpose?" he turns around, "We should go and help them." gesturing to the flaming boat.

Anonomuss
2011-04-16, 06:04 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen shrugs. "I'm not sure I could comment. Although I would rather we didn't run into more of them. Still, I don't like the idea of leaving that ship suffer their assault." He started to move towards the fire and the fighting. "Let's go help them."

Honikan
2011-04-16, 09:47 AM
Ren Vyrilik

"I agree, but let's patch our wounds first," he said, wrapping a bandage on his arm. "But we should hurry." after finishing, Ren sets off towards the docks in a run.

Spend Healing surge, now at 50 hp
Is the curse removed?

Deadly
2011-04-17, 04:07 AM
You hurry back towards the ship. As you round the corner, you see the burning ruins of the ship and docks, corpses strewn about the place. The captain and a few men are all that seem to remain of the crew, the rest either died in the explosion or were slaughtered by the wolves.

As you approach the battle, a particularly sinister werewolf lets out a long, chilling howl, causing everyone to pause briefly. All the werewolves turn around and rush back towards the north. The howling wolf looks around the carnage for a second, its yellow eyes shining in the dark, then sets off in a sprint after the other werewolves.

As the wolves disappear the captain staggers a little, then falls on his knees. The few other survivors don't look very well either.

I'll deal with the curse in a bit.

WhiskElement: You were in the battle here at the ship, and obviously one of the survivors. So feel free to jump in at this point.

WhiskElement
2011-04-17, 09:22 PM
Oraxain stretched and scratched and looked himself over to make sure he was still in one piece. Thankfully, he had survived the surprise attack of werewolves on the ship. Clearly, his research expedition was not going to be a safe, straightforward archaeological study. He helped up a few of the crew and passengers who had survived, but there really wasn't much professional medical aid he could offer. Mostly he was thankful to have survived at all. But now what? The ghouls he had been traveling with--and was counting on for mutual protection, as well as sharing opinions and ideas--had all perished in the assault. Particularly after the werewolf attack he was in no mood to venture out alone. Maybe some of the others who were hardy enough to have survived were also interested in exploring the island.

Honikan
2011-04-18, 06:21 PM
Ren Vryilik

Ren rushes forward to help the wounded, healing the survivors with the holy power of the Nightengale. "Are you alright, we got ambushed as well. Although it looks like we fared better." he says as he heals Oraxain.

Anonomuss
2011-04-19, 03:33 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen stands around at a loss. He begins to wonder why he was even needed on the ship.

WhiskElement
2011-04-19, 12:20 PM
Oraxain addresses Ren: "Thank you, I am in decent shape. But these others...it's a sad state. So, you know something of healing, then?" In his head, Oraxain is already looking for people with useful skills to continue his travels with. After seeing the werewolf ambush, he has little desire to continue alone, but he'd rather not have to give up after coming so far.

Honikan
2011-04-19, 12:54 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"Not as much as my friend here, the Nightengale assists me in other ways." He stands, "I am Ren, and this is Ilvaen." he says, gesturing to himself and Ilvaen. "Pleasure, might you know why it is that we were all attacked in such a way?"

WhiskElement
2011-04-19, 04:25 PM
"It's good to meet you both. I am Oraxain. No, I can't imagine why we were attacked. It seems the whole town has been taken over by those werewolves, though. It could be that there's some dangerous plot, or some valuable treasure around...or it could just be chance. But it is bothersome, isn't it?"

Anonomuss
2011-04-20, 05:09 AM
Ilvaen

"I hope nothing more disastrous than the loss of this village has happened. We'll need to be careful about the werewolves in case they show up again." Ilvaen held out his hand to Oraxain, "As my friend Ren here said, my name is Ilvaen. I'm a scholar, and I'd be interested in finding more out about why these werewolves have attacked this village. Would you be willing to join us? We could use as many able fighters as we have if we're to encounter those werewolves again."

Deadly
2011-04-20, 05:45 AM
The captain stands and looks around at the carnage "They must have seen our ship coming from miles away and set up this... this welcome. And now we have no ship, no way to get off the island. How did they manage this? Werewolves aren't known for elaborate schemes or well planned traps. Cursed beasts!"

Honikan
2011-04-20, 08:56 AM
Ren Vyrilik

"Then it is most likely that they had an outside influence. Or less likely, they had an extremely strong motive. I believe the former, did you see which direction the werewolves ran off to?"

Deadly
2011-04-21, 02:46 AM
"They ran to the north, far as I could tell. Can't say where they went from there."

Anonomuss
2011-04-21, 09:32 AM
Ilvaen

"It seems to me like we have three choices. We can either seek to stay here, and make a living for ourselves like those who came before us, we can look for somewhere else to stay and someone else to shelter us or we can follow those werewolves and work out why it is they attacked this town, and ourselves." He looked around at the town. "I don't think we have much chance staying here, the streets are too narrow, and we have few ways to hold off those werewolves if they come again. I'm no fighter, but I don't fancy being caught unawares if they come again."

WhiskElement
2011-04-21, 10:54 PM
"It's nice to meet you, Ren and Ilvaen. Well, I am no fighter either, being of a more scholarly mind like yourself. But I'm just inquisitive enough to want to find the source of this trouble. Besides, like you said, I don't think there's much hope for us just camping out here and expecting them to not attack us again.

Did you see how that one werewolf seemed to be calling the shots? That interests me. If you're willing to do some research on the topic with me I'll join you. And if need be, we'll bash some werewolf skulls while we're at it."

And then, addressing the captain, Oraxain continues, "Captain, is there any chance of salvaging this ship? As obsessed as I am with unraveling this puzzle I'd like to know if we have any chance of getting off this cursed place when we're done."

Deadly
2011-04-24, 04:36 AM
The captain looks at the ruined ship "I doubt it. Maybe we can repair it, or... make a raft. I think I'll stay with the last of my men here, maybe we can salvage something, or find another boat. If you head inland and find anyone alive, maybe they can help. At least they know the island better, maybe there are other villages who have boats available."

Anonomuss
2011-04-24, 05:12 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen nods to the captain, "Is there anything we can do to help you before we leave? I'd like to be able to help ensure your safety before we venture further inland. It would be nice to have somewhere safe to return to, or direct others to."

Deadly
2011-04-25, 04:43 AM
"I don't think you can do anything except find out what they are doing here. I think they're much more likely to go after you if you head inland. We'll do what we can here. Now that we know there are werewolves around we should be better prepared for them if they come again."

Honikan
2011-04-25, 06:38 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren thanks the captain, then turns to his companions. "I suppose we should go then, did you see which direction they ran off to?"

WhiskElement
2011-04-25, 11:25 PM
"Yes, thank you, captain. I think I saw the werewolves heading to the north. We could start there. Anything you all want to grab from the ship first? I think I've got all I need." Oraxain wasn't bloodthirsty by any means, but he was looking forward to tracking down these vicious beasts.

Deadly
2011-04-27, 05:06 AM
Algol decides to stay behind and help the effort here.

And going to assume you move on then. You don't get far along the northern road before it splits in two, the two paths leading further north and west.

Anonomuss
2011-04-27, 06:47 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen looked up and down the two paths. "I suppose we should head north, if we're to find these werewolves."

Anything of note to be seen down either road?

Deadly
2011-04-27, 07:02 AM
Ilvaen doesn't see anything in particular down either path. If their mission was to find the stone and the village supposed to be near it, however, then the western path might be the right path.

Honikan
2011-04-27, 01:43 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Wasn't the stone supposed to be near the village? I think the western path stays along the back of the village, as far as I can tell.

WhiskElement
2011-04-27, 11:24 PM
"Yes, I think I remember something about it being to the west in my previous research. Let's go that way, then." Oraxain tentatively glanced at his companions for confirmation and pointed his feet towards the west.

Deadly
2011-04-28, 03:53 AM
Just a note because I may have screwed up a little:

The map in the first post should technically be rotated 90° anti-clockwise. The path that points north on the map actually leads west, and the one that points east is actually north.

Also, the village you're currently in is not the one near the stone. The one near the stone is somewhere further inland to the south-west.

Honikan
2011-04-28, 08:34 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren leads the party down the road to the west, keepin a careful eye out, while tracking the werewolves. "What do you suppose we will find when we get to the stone? It's turned many a man insane."

Perception- [roll0]

Anonomuss
2011-04-29, 06:20 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen walked alongside Ren as they moved down he road, his voice low and conversational. "I think we have to hope that the Nightingale will provide for us, once we find it, or failing that, that the stories we have heard are false. Either way we should endeavour to make sure that no others suffer a fate as frim as those tales suggest.

Deadly
2011-04-29, 07:37 AM
Ren easily finds the trail of werewolves, leading along the river. Gazing ahead the path leads towards a bridge in the distance.

WhiskElement
2011-04-29, 07:59 PM
Oraxain

"Well, I too have heard the tales of insanity, but those werewolves didn't seem insane to me. Frenzied, maybe, but not insane. If anything, they were more organized than I would have expected. And that disturbs me more than insanity, I think. We best be careful as we cross this bridge here; it would seem like an easy place to lay a trap."

Anonomuss
2011-05-01, 06:40 AM
Ilvaen

"True, we would do well to be vigilent. Ilvaen said, holding his holy symbol tightly.

Deadly
2011-05-03, 06:04 AM
As you approach cautiously, you see a small figure sitting motionlessly on the bridge. You don't have to get very close before the nature of the scene before you becomes horrifyingly clear. The stones of the bridge around the figure are stained red, even from afar you have no doubt that it is blood. As you move closer you see that it is a young lycanthrope boy, age unclear, stripped and mutilated and no doubt left there by the werewolves as a message. His face has been flayed, long strips of flesh still framing the bare skull, his genitals have been cut off, and the rest of his body brutally lashed as by whips. Words are carved deep into his chest with large, crude letters "We greet you!" The grinning skull almost seems to accent this message. He can't have been dead long, all the blood is still fresh. However vile and savagely brutal the scene, it was clearly a calculated act.

Honikan
2011-05-03, 07:00 AM
Ren Vyrilik

This horrifying show of violence and imagery shocks Ren. He stumbles back, yet is intrigued. Slowly and hesitantly, Ren takes steps towards the mutilated body. "Why would..." he started,

"Gah!" Ren's mind starts reeling. In front of him, he sees the lycanthope being tortured and torn apart. His brain feels as though it's going to explode!

Then all in an instant it stops. When Ren opens his eyes, he realizes he is on the ground, small gouges in his arms. He was clawing himself. In hurried, short breaths he forces out, "May I get some assistance..?"

Anonomuss
2011-05-03, 09:00 AM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen lowered his eyes, and turned his head away from the scene. He fought the urge to vomit, and tried to breath in some air free of the copper smell of the blood in front of him. When Ren collapsed next to him, and began to feverishly claw at himself, Ilvaen forced thoughts of his own disgust and anger to the back of his mind, and crouched down next to Ren. When Ren opened his eyes, Ilvaen was already next to him, and offered out his arm for support.

"Are you alright? I don't like this any more than anyone else, but unfortunately, it doesn't change what we need to do.

Honikan
2011-05-03, 09:50 AM
Ren Vyrilik

He sits up and looks at Ilvaen, "Yes, of course. I... I just was shown by the Nightengale his torture. It was frightening, and I must have reacted." He rubs his left arm, "It's odd that I've had two visions in one day already, self-harm usually isn't involved. I only hope she helps me understand these. I do understand though, the Nightengale's meant for me to see his pain, so we shan't suffer the same fate."

Ren takes a deep breath and exhales, letting his anxiety leave him. Making a quick prayer with his eyes closed. "Ilvaen, may you please take care of my arms?" He holds them out. It is easy to see that Ren is struggling to hold the battered things aloft.

Anonomuss
2011-05-03, 02:24 PM
Ilvaen

"Of course," Ilvaen said, and his holy symbol began to glow, as he laid his hands on Ren and his wounds began to slowly disappear.

Not entirely sure what's needed here, so if its hp I need to restore. Ilvaen will use Life Transference. Otherwise, I suppose, heal check? [roll0]

Deadly
2011-05-03, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't know either... I assume it's just regular scratches.

WhiskElement
2011-05-03, 09:28 PM
Oraxain

Not being well versed in healing, Oraxain waited as Ilvaen tended to Ren's self inflicted wounds. This whole vision/insanity/Nightingale business made him a little uneasy, to be honest. While his new companions seemed able and amiable, was it possible he was heading to investigate something horrifyingly appalling with those who might be extra sensitive to its effects?

Despite his own attempts at composure and rationality, Oraxain was disgusted by the lengths to which this poor individual had been mutilated. He paused to look at the body, seeing if any clue whatsoever might be gleaned from what was left.

What language was the warning carved in? Or is this not relevant?

Deadly
2011-05-04, 05:20 AM
It's somewhat curious that werewolves would write messages, and not even in their own vile tongue. Aside from this the mangled body of the boy provides few clues, at least to Oraxain who isn't a healer.

Ah... the language.

I just noticed that, due to my somewhat recent language expansion, you and Ren don't even have a shared language. This is because Ren and Ilvaen used the old set of languages, which was much more limited.

I could just let Ren and Ilvaen change their languages. The simplest conversion at this point would be to replace Ayrnáva with Inismal for Ren and Ilvaen. That would also mean the note was written in Inismal.

I didn't mention this before because it's not hugely important. The note is simply written in the most common local language of the region, the one that the werewolves could easily have assumed you'd know, without knowing you.

That, of course, is interesting. Most werewolves don't speak other languages than their own, and even fewer know how to write.

Honikan
2011-05-06, 08:50 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Once up and healed, Ren focuses his thoughts and begins to walk again, attempting not to look in the direction of the poor soul on the post. "We better keep moving, the werewolves could return at any moment." He glances back as he walks, "Thanks, Ilvaen."

WhiskElement
2011-05-07, 11:21 AM
Oraxain

"I agree. We'd better move on, and hope to catch these werewolves before they catch us. One thing, though...do you all have any idea what we do when we find them? I mean, what's our plan of attack here?" Oraxain didn't like to admit it, but maybe the sight of the mangled body had shaken his confidence a little.

Anonomuss
2011-05-08, 04:12 AM
Ilvaen

"I'll be along in a moment. I just want to make sure the boy's soul is now at rest." Ilvaen said to his companions, and moved back to kneel next to the broken body of the boy. He began to pray low and softly, beginning a dirge to the Nightingale and raising his holy symbol to the body. The notes of the song raised his heart even as he tried not to breath in the smell of death. It wasn't right to just leave the boy's body here, wide open beneath the stars. He moved to lift the boy's body away from where it sat and brought it over towards one side of the bridge. He removed the bedroll from his pack, and began to wrap the body in it, hiding the worst of its wounds from the world. He continued to pray as he laid the boy down, and walked back, and tried to put the sight behind him.

Honikan
2011-05-08, 12:44 PM
Ren Vyrilik

He watches as Ilvaen lays the Lycanthrope boy to rest, "I understand, it's hard on me too... Let's move on." Ren leads the group across the bridge and onwards. He tries to shake the image from his head, but he knows that is a warning; he focuses on the road ahead.

WhiskElement
2011-05-08, 03:49 PM
Oraxain

Oraxain waited patiently as Ilvaen performed the last rites. It was a relief to be with people who displayed a measure of compassion. Compassion means civility, after all. When the act was finished, Oraxain commented to Ilvaen, "You show great kindness; I'm glad to be traveling with you." Then he turned to go.

Deadly
2011-05-09, 06:09 AM
After laying the boy to rest, you continue down the road. For many hours you walk with no sign of werewolves and no villages in sight. The forest is growing denser and darker, and the landscape more rugged as you continue south, the only thing suggesting you're on the right path being a small trail.

Honikan
2011-05-10, 10:42 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren focuses hard on the road ahead of him. Unfortunately, as he does this he becomes slightly oblivious to his surroundings. Every once in a while, Ren will tell the party to backtrack and go around the other side of the tree, or stop because he wants to check for scents.

Nature- [roll0]
Perception- [roll1]

Not sure which one works better.

Deadly
2011-05-12, 04:43 AM
Ren doesn't find much. Occasionally there are signs of people having travelled here before, but most of these tracks are old.

WhiskElement
2011-05-12, 11:13 PM
Oraxain

Not being especially chatty, Oraxain has kept quiet while walking. But, as more time passes, and as he thinks slightly less about the dangers ahead, he decides to strike up a conversation. "So, what brings the two of you to this island? I'm guessing your original plan was not to hunt down a crazed werewolf pack."

Anonomuss
2011-05-15, 06:40 AM
Ilvaen

"We were to look for the "Black Stone" that is around here. It is said to drive people mad." Ilvaen said. "We were to investigate it, and presumably then to destroy it, if it is as dangerous as it is rumoured to be."

Honikan
2011-05-15, 01:31 PM
Ren Vyrilik

He looks back at Oraxain, "Yes, and the biggest issue, I suppose, would be finding it. Hopefully these werewolves will provide a good first step in the right direction." Ren then yawns and lowers his head once again to continue to track.

WhiskElement
2011-05-15, 03:47 PM
Oraxain

"I also came to study the rumored black stone. Perhaps its the only reason anyone comes to this wretched island. Or maybe it's why so many people stay away from it." Oraxain paused for a moment, noticing Ren's yawn and his own tired feet. "Should we stop when we find a decent looking spot? That little clearing just off the road ahead might work."

Honikan
2011-05-16, 06:25 PM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren stops just before the clearing, "Just to be safe, we might as well check the area first. Do you have any rituals that might protect us during our rest?" he says as he surveys the perimeter.

Perception- [roll0]

WhiskElement
2011-05-16, 06:49 PM
Oraxain

"I'm afraid none of my rituals will be of use for that...I could lock something, but there is nothing to lock. Otherwise, my rituals don't do much for security. But I think you are right to check the area first. Maybe I will also have a look."

Perception roll [roll0]

Deadly
2011-05-17, 06:17 AM
It appears to be safe enough for now; as safe as things can get with werewolves potentially lurking in these parts, that is.

Honikan
2011-05-17, 07:45 AM
Ren Vryilik

He turns to Ilvaen and Oraxain, "I suppose we should camp next to the trees then. The area seems clear." He takes out his bedroll and sets it next to a tree. "We should establish an order of watch, I'll take to shift in the middle of the night, as my senses are most keen." Ren sits, taking off his pack and putting down his weapons.

Anonomuss
2011-05-18, 05:13 AM
Ilvaen

"That makes sense. I'll take the first watch. I'll let you know if I see anything suspicious."

WhiskElement
2011-05-18, 11:12 PM
"I guess that leaves me with the last watch, which is fine by me. Wake me if anything happens." Oraxain unrolled his bedroll and broke open some rations before lying down to sleep.

Deadly
2011-05-19, 06:59 AM
And so you go to rest, taking turns to keep watch. The darkness and forest seems to play tricks on your senses and nerves, but both Ilvaen and Ren have relatively uneventful watches. Oraxain doesn't experience much at first either, but as his watch moves along he begins to feel cold and a thin mist creeps into the area. Walking back and forth to keep himself warm, a sudden chill creeps down his spine as he thought he heard a small voice, a faint and quiet sob somewhere behind him. Looking around he sees no one, but more voices soon follow; all around him Oraxain hears the phantasmal sobbing of children, a faint rhythmic drum pounding somewhere far away. As he turns to wake the others, his eyes catch a movement among the trees. Looking up he sees a figure, a man, stepping out of the mist. Ren and Ilvaen, having already been woken by the sounds, sees him too. The man is cloaked in the ancient, desiccated skin of a wolf, the bare skull of the animal crowning his head. His face is white and emotionless, like a deathmask, and his long hair thin and silvery white. His hands - grasping a gnarled staff - are skeletal and claw-like, a single ruby-studded ring gracing his right hand. One pale blue eye seems to stare into your very souls, then the man turns and walks back into the mists.

Honikan
2011-05-19, 10:46 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren grabs his bow and and arrow, standing he says, "Wait!" Ren takes a step into the mist and looks for where the man went.

Perception- [roll0]

WhiskElement
2011-05-19, 11:38 AM
Oraxain

Oraxain grasps for information in his head to try to make sense of what he has just seen.

Oraxain rolls History check: [roll0]
Oraxain rolls Arcana check: [roll1]
Take your pick, whichever is more applicable.

Deadly
2011-05-22, 06:18 AM
The man is gone before Ren can catch up. Where he went is impossible to say.

Oraxain doesn't really recall a lot, except that the mists often contain mysteries and visions, and that it's usually wise to avoid areas of mist. Many people have been lost that way.

WhiskElement
2011-05-24, 11:02 PM
Oraxain

"Best be careful, Ren. These mists are unknown and could be dangerous. I mean, if that figment could appear and disappear within them, it's not a stretch to think that they could absorb you, too. And I don't think you really want to follow that badly..." Oraxain turned to see how his companions were doing. Maybe it was time to get going anyway...he doubted that any of them would be able to rest well in this place after what had just happened. "Shall we move on?"

Honikan
2011-05-25, 09:16 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren comes back to Orassin, "I haven't heard a better idea. Let's go," he packs up his things, slinging his pack around his waist and strapping his bedroll on his back next to his quiver. Ren grips his bow and waits for his group, watching his surroundings.

Anonomuss
2011-05-25, 02:43 PM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen hurried to gather his gear, as he shook away his tiredness. "Are you sure we should venture into the mists. " he gestured to Oraxain, "It doesn't seem prudent to throw ourselves into the danger that could lurk out there."

Honikan
2011-05-25, 03:02 PM
Ren Vyrilik

He turns around to Ilvaen, "We could possibly wait for the mist to disperse... he pauses for a moment. "Oraxain, how long would that take?"

WhiskElement
2011-05-25, 10:00 PM
Oraxain

Oraxain wracked his brain again, trying to remember that thing he'd read about mists a while back. "Uh, let me see..." He tapped his finger on his chin as he picked up his things.

Oraxain rolled [roll0] for Arcana.

OOC: I'm headed out of town until Saturday...if you all don't want to hold this up, can we just pretend that Oraxain says whatever the GM gives him as an arcana result? Doesn't matter to me either way.

Deadly
2011-05-26, 04:45 AM
Oraxain has no idea. These things usually aren't very predictable. It's already getting a little lighter, however.

You can just assume you wait until it clears up, or you can move on without waiting.

Anonomuss
2011-05-26, 06:44 AM
Ilvaen

"Maybe, if we just wait a short while longer to see if it clears some more, and then we can be on our way." Ilvaen said, gathering the last few bits and pieces together.

WhiskElement
2011-05-29, 11:05 AM
Oraxain

"Hey, I think it's already lightening up some, don't you? We might as well wait until it's clear and then head out." Oraxain gathered together the last of his things.

Deadly
2011-05-30, 06:15 AM
After gathering your things, you soon set out again once the mist has cleared. The weather is cold and wet, and the landscape less than friendly. The occasional howl in the far off distance keeps you on your toes, but so far there have been no more signs of werewolves, or anything else. After several more hours of trudging along the muddy path, you finally catch sight of a village in a valley below. From a distance it looks abandoned, except for the smoke rising from a few of the chimneys.

Anonomuss
2011-05-30, 02:17 PM
Ilvaen

Ilvaen choked down a deep sigh at seeing the village ahead "Dear Nightingale, please.... Not another village. How many must we see gone like this before we see the end of this."

WhiskElement
2011-05-30, 11:47 PM
Oraxain

"It may not be that bleak, friend. That smoke is coming from the chimneys, not the roofs. Maybe everyone's just hunkering down and staying safe. Still, let's proceed with caution..." Oraxain noticed in spite of himself that he'd made that sort of statement more than once today.

Honikan
2011-05-31, 03:20 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren walks with the group down to the village, staying in the front with his bow knocked with an arrow, just in case. He halts at the edge of the town. "How shall we proceed? Investigate first, or attempt to just walk through?"

Anonomuss
2011-05-31, 02:01 PM
Ilvaen

"To be honest I'm tempted to walk around. If the village is deserted we may just be walking into another trap, but if there's people down there, we may draw the werewolves to them."

Deadly
2011-05-31, 02:39 PM
You do recall that you're actually looking for a village, right? Specifically a village where someone hopefully knows how to find the stone, since you don't know where exactly it is.

Quoting the recruitment info:

You have set out, leading a small expedition, to find and examine the black stone. Your ship is now sailing for the small island of Šetlon east of Méru, where you will travel inland to the isolated village of Aidráǧhaita - a name which means something like "witch town" - closest civilised settlement to the reported site of the stone.

Not that you can't walk around the village if you want to, of course... just, reminding you :smallsmile:

Honikan
2011-05-31, 08:38 PM
Ren Vyrilik

He lowers his guard and nods to Ilvaen. "Alright, let's do that first, I suppose." Ren then walks attemptingly casually into the town. He glances around, looking for any signs of life.

Perscription - [roll0]

WhiskElement
2011-05-31, 11:13 PM
Oraxain

"This may very well be the town we're looking for. But you're right about traps and accidentally drawing the wolves to these people. Let's just be careful, that's all I'm saying." Oraxain slowly proceeded, holding his staff firmly and looking around the area. He tried to think of any of the stories he'd heard about Aidráǧhaita--were there any landmarks he should be looking for, if this was indeed the right town? Or maybe people to ask about?

Roll for History: [roll0]

Deadly
2011-06-01, 05:52 AM
The village seems relatively calm. There doesn't seem to be much activity, but the village is clearly not abandoned either. Ren does notice a few eyes peeking out from behind curtains.

Oraxain recalls that the island and region in general was the site of extensive battles in ancient times, between native tribes and lycanthropic crusaders from the mainland lead by one sir Mártin Šefra, but of the natives nothing is recorded. There are mentions of a "great purging", but details are scarce on the subject. Šefra and his conquests elsewhere are well known, but of this one Oraxain recalls little except that it was his last and that he may have been buried on this island.

Oraxain also remembers that a fellow ghoul and scholar, Barafaxin, travelled to these parts many years ago to study the history of these battles. Oraxain has no idea if he would still be here, but maybe the villagers have heard of him. It also seems certain that Amin Ǧestas, the mad poet who first wrote of the stone, passed through these parts, and perhaps the ill fated scholar Ómar de Alǧuerre did so as well.

There aren't many settlements in these parts, so there's a good chance this is the one you've sought.

WhiskElement
2011-06-02, 10:23 AM
Oraxain

"I'd like to ask around town a bit. We're not the first to come looking for this stone, and we might as well see what the locals know about it. Not only that, one of my people, a ghoul named Barafaxin, supposedly came here a number of years ago. If there is any chance he is still around, I know he would have valuable information. I'm quite sure this place must be the Aidráǧhaita I've read about."

Honikan
2011-06-02, 01:00 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"I have seen some inhabitants here, although it seems as though they are afraid of exiting their homes." Ren walks to a nearby house and knocks on its door. "Hello? We are peaceful and are only looking for assistance."

Deadly
2011-06-03, 07:22 AM
The door opens a few inches and a large man looks out through the crack at Ren "What do you want?" he asks brusquely.

Honikan
2011-06-03, 10:38 AM
Ren Vyrilik

He takes a step back to give the man some room. "We are scholars that are on this island for some research. However, we are currently looking for our friend, Barafaxin. He is a Ghoul, maybe you have seen him around this town?"

Deadly
2011-06-03, 12:30 PM
The man looks at you through the door, then points in the direction of a large house before closing the door.

Honikan
2011-06-03, 03:02 PM
Ren Vyrilik

"Well, wasn't he rude?" Ren strolls over to the large house and checks himself so he doesn't look possible off-putting. He straitens his gears, sheathes his bow, turns his spear around to point down, then knocks. He waits, taking a step back. "Oraxain, it would be better if you talked to him, as you know him."

Deadly
2011-06-03, 04:00 PM
More like Oraxain has heard of him. But they are both ghouls, so it's probably still a good idea.

The house is larger than most of the others, and unlike the others it is more of a burrow, dug into a hill. The roof which rises above the ground is covered in moss.

After a long while of waiting there's a slow shuffling and dragging of feet behind the door, then the heavy door is opened slowly and an old ghoul peeks out. At first he seems wary but when he sees you his face shifts to confusion, perhaps a little suspicion "Yes? What can I help you with?"

WhiskElement
2011-06-04, 12:20 AM
Oraxain

"Hello. Are you Barafaxin the scholar and explorer? My name is Oraxain, and my companions Ren and Ilvaen (he gestures to each of them) and I have come seeking knowledge about the black stone and the insanity it is supposed to cause. Although at the moment we're also rather concerned about the werewolf problems you all seem to be having. May we come in?" What luck! Oraxain had not actually expected to find Barafaxin himself considering he had left so long ago.

Deadly
2011-06-04, 07:41 AM
The old ghoul considers you for a while, then steps aside to allow you inside "I am Barafaxin, yes, but you would be wise to put the stone out of your minds. It is a thing of evil, best left forgotten. The wolves are evil enough."

Honikan
2011-06-06, 01:10 PM
Ren Vyrilik

He steps inside, "Well we are crisply here to find out more about that. Why exactly should we stay away from the stone? He have heard rumors and tales of madness caused by the Black Stone, but we are here officially to find out what it is and what it does."

Deadly
2011-06-07, 11:27 AM
Barafaxin's home is cozy and filled with old bookcases overflowing with books and scrolls. There are a lot of paintings around, most of them seemingly drawn by children, depicting - from what you can tell - mostly historical topics.

The old ghoul hobbles over to a large armchair and sits down. There are a few other chairs available in the livingroom "It's a big stone in the middle of nowhere, and crazy people are drawn to it like moths to a flame because this region and the stone has a bad history, and because another crazy person decided to write about it once before disappearing. And then the deluded fools go and kill themselves over some bad dreams, I imagine." The ghoul seems to sink into the chair with a deep sigh And now them wolves are there, all camped up. We've never had werewolves in these parts before, then they just march in here one day and take away all our children. Stone's never done us anything, if you want to worry about something worry about them wolves.

WhiskElement
2011-06-07, 03:15 PM
Oraxain

"Wait...the wolves took your children? That's not normal werewolf behavior. Usually they just chew them to pieces. When did these wolves first arrive?"

It was a relief to see another ghoul, and an academic one at that. Oraxain imagined that, despite all Barafaxin's warnings, the two of them could be good friends in other circumstances.

Deadly
2011-06-07, 04:04 PM
"A while ago, I think. They may have been on the island for a while before coming here specifically, I wouldn't know." He shakes his head sadly "Sometimes werewolves have been known to carry out more elaborate schemes, but they require a leader to keep them in check."

Honikan
2011-06-07, 11:21 PM
Ren Vyrilik

After taking a seat with the others, Ren ponders what the Ghoul said. "I suppose we have already encountered two of these leaders, unfortunately. However, we were lucky enough to be able to dispatch one of them, the other escaped after burning our ship down." He pauses for a moment, "Have Werewolves ever been known to act as offensive and violent as they have? Or are we being affronted because we are intruders?"

Deadly
2011-06-08, 12:41 PM
"I can't imagine what you mean. Werewolves have never been anything if not violent and offensive. And I'd say calling them that is quite an understatement."

WhiskElement
2011-06-11, 11:52 PM
"But it seems to us that these wolves are driven by some force beyond themselves. I mean, you mentioned children being taken. And you're sure this can't have anything to do with the black stone? I don't mean to sound superstitious, but if it could drive people to madness, could it drive wolves to be organized?"

Deadly
2011-06-12, 11:28 AM
The old ghoul sighs deeply. It's clear that he's finding the constant mention of the stone annoying. "The stone does not drive people crazy. It. is. just. a. stone. People who are already crazy find it endlessly fascinating and can't leave it alone. And what is it about these wolves that you find so unusual anyway? There's nothing about what they're doing that is the least bit unusual or surprising, as far as I have seen. And they are enough plague without some imaginary magic stone. If you wish to rid us of them, you are most welcome, but the stone has been here for ages and never bothered us."

WhiskElement
2011-06-12, 09:30 PM
So, either Barafaxin hadn't come here to study the stone as Oraxain had thought, or he just really didn't want to discuss it. In any case, tact required a change in subject. "So, tell us more about these werewolves, then. Are they new around here? Any idea why they're worse than usual?"

Insight roll to figure out if Brafaxin is holding back: [roll0]

Deadly
2011-06-13, 06:48 AM
Barafaxin does seem eager to leave the topic of the stone. Perhaps there is a little more to it than he'd like to speak of. "We haven't had many werewolves around here before, it's true. It's an isolated area of a sparsely populated island. But they're not unheard of, occasionally a few find their way across the water. I wager these belong to the bandits roaming Méru. Those are fairly organised, too. But I never asked them so I'm just guessing. All I know is that they're here, and that they took all the children, left the rest of us alone."

Honikan
2011-06-13, 08:35 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Listening silently to the unraveling conversation, Ren feels like a question had been burning in his tongue ever since Barafaxin showed that he seemed to know much about the island. "Interesting..." he muttered to himself. "Barafaxin, is there a usual mist that ungulphs parts of the island at times?" he ponders his own question, then, "We've experienced it, and I fear it was quite disorienting. We thought as though we saw... Something, out there. What do you think?"

Deadly
2011-06-13, 11:13 AM
"Mist is common enough, though I've never heard any suggestion that the mist around here should be any different than most places. It's usually wise to stay clear of any mist, it tends to play tricks on your senses." the ghoul shrugs "What did you think you saw?"

The danger of mists is a general fear/superstition across the world, it's not particular to this island. Just a note.

Honikan
2011-06-17, 08:13 AM
Ren Vyrilik

"A person, ofwhat race I'm not sure. He wore animal skins upon himself, a skull rested on his head, he carried a staff, and there was a ruby fitted upon his finger." a chill runs down his spine as he describes the creature. "It felt like it pierced my soul."

Deadly
2011-06-18, 04:30 AM
The ghoul nods "That's fascinating, but I wouldn't put too much into such visions. Sometimes old dreams enter the waking world in the mists, it's usually nothing to worry about."

WhiskElement
2011-06-18, 10:56 PM
"Well, I guess that's comforting, but this mist did seems especially unnatural. Tell me, Barafaxin...do you have a library, or does this town have any historical records?" As a lover of knowledge, Oraxain was hoping that he might be able to unearth more of the secrets of this place before going out and experiencing them face to face.

Deadly
2011-06-19, 05:13 AM
The ghoul gestures around at the overflowing bookcases all around you "I have a book or two. You won't find many elsewhere in this village"

Honikan
2011-06-19, 08:00 AM
Ren Vyrilik

"As long as we are speaking of the village, why isn't that everyone is couped upon their homes? We asked a man which home was yours, and he was quite rude, but seemed very afraid." Ren says this as he stands and searches along the shelves for a book that might catch his eye.

Deadly
2011-06-20, 05:06 AM
"Are you surprised? We're surrounded by werewolves, who just took away every child in the village. How long until they come for the rest of us? And you think people should be smiling and welcoming random strangers?"

There are a lot of books on history and myth. Most seem like nothing unusual. Ren finds a few which apparently cover the local history. There aren't many and they aren't all that thick.

Honikan
2011-06-20, 10:21 AM
Ren Vyrilik

Ren takes one of the books on local history off the shelf and begins to read. Flipping through the pages as he leans gently on the bookshelf."Understandable, but they shouldn't be afraid of everything. Also, the werewolves aren't to particularly strong, only the leaders. The town could mount a defense against them." He stops as he reads a interesting passage. "I wonder why the werewolves have leaders now. They didn't before? They are highly organized in geurella fighting tactics, I think that the leaders are more that they seem to be. They are obviously more intelligent than their followers." Ren looks back down and continues to read, switching to a new book when he finishes reading each.

WhiskElement
2011-06-21, 11:42 PM
Oraxain

"Anything interesting there, Ren?" Oraxain, too, was looking for books of interest. He was trying to scan the shelves to get a general feel of what kind of knowledge old Barafaxin might be most drawn to, to see if he had some special interest he might not have mentioned. "Maybe, then, we should take care of these werewolves. It will help these people and their children, and it will also prove to them that we can be trusted."

Honikan
2011-06-23, 01:18 AM
Ren Vyrilik

"Aye, most are of local knowledge. Fascinating. I suppose ridding the werewolf menace will allow us to freely complete our research." Ren turns to Barafaxin, "Might you have any useful knowledge on werewolves that might assist us?"