PDA

View Full Version : Emigration

Stadge
2011-03-15, 02:21 PM
I searched quickly, and couldn't find anything on this, but if I'm wrong, feel free to point me in the right direction and close this thread.

Well, the thing is I may well be emigrating in about a year and a half's time, and, whilst I admit I tend to lurk more than I post, I thought I'd bring it up here.

Plus, you never know, it may be fun to have a thread on the subject. We'll see :smallsmile:

So yeah, I know it obviously differs on a case by case basis, but does anyone have any advice on what to do beforehand? Tips for acclimatising? Stories of their own emigrations or reasons behind moving country? Things to avoid doing?

snoopy13a
2011-03-15, 02:55 PM
It really depends on the country you want to emigrate to. For example, it appears that you are British (I'm guessing from your use of British spelling and that you are apparently studying at Cambridge). So, it would probably be easy to emigrate to another EU nation but it would be much more difficult to emigrate to, say the U.S.

Language is also key. For example, a German could emigrate to Spain but he or she might have problems finding a good job if they can't speak Spanish. The best resources would be information provided by the countries that you want to emigrate to.

So I guess it depends on:
1) Where you are from
2) Where you want to go
3) What your relevant job skills are
4) What languages can you speak

KenderWizard
2011-03-15, 03:49 PM
Do you have any idea where you'll be going?

Emigration is such a Thing here. Every time anything goes wrong, we emigrate in waves. It's happening again now with the financial crises. I really hope I don't have to!

KuReshtin
2011-03-15, 04:38 PM
I will echo what has been said above. It would be very beneficial to know where you're planning to move to, and whether it's for school or work, or whatever reason.

I emigrated from Sweden to Scotland because of work.
I didn't really know a lot about the cultural differences before I moved. and I didn't actually give myself a whole lot of chance to find out as everything happened quite quickly.
I found a job vacancy listed. I applied on the Tuesday, went for the interview on the Friday and got the job offer the following Wednesday. Then I had about a month and a half to get everything sorted with my flat in Sweden, figuring out what I needed to bring along and stuff like that.

The advice that I give to anyone who asks me what to think about when moving abroad, both for school or work reasons is this:

Find something else to do!
By that, I mean that you should find something that gives you something else to think about away from work or school. I have seen so many people start at my workplace, only to get homesick or fed up or both because they didn't find anything else to do than to hang out with people from work.
They ended up sharing houses with people from work, they hung out after work, they worked together, and after a while, they started grating on each other and pull each other down in a bad spiral because all they did somehow reminded them of work. They never got to switch off completely.
I, on the other hand, found new friends who had nothing to do with my workplace, and found a hobby that had nothing to do with work (American Football). It let me think about something other than work.

My moving abroad was at first going to be for a year, and then I'd reevaluate if I wanted to go back. That was almost 12 years ago, and I'm still here.