PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar d20?

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-15, 04:19 PM
Has anyone on the forum made a homebrew of the Dark Eldar from WH40K?

Im thinking of using them in my campaign as it evolves from a save the world type of campaign to a planewalking type of champaign

thanks

DM

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-18, 01:35 AM
am i doing something wrong?

Ashtagon
2011-03-18, 03:01 AM
The simplest solution is to use standard eldar and change their usual equipment lists and fluff. Without knowing the power level of your campaign and which bits of WH40K fluff you go by, it's really quite impossible to suggest stats for them.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-18, 06:37 PM
The simplest solution is to use standard eldar and change their usual equipment lists and fluff. Without knowing the power level of your campaign and which bits of WH40K fluff you go by, it's really quite impossible to suggest stats for them.

Well could you direct me to these Eldar mayhaps?

DM

Ashtagon
2011-03-19, 02:19 AM
Well could you direct me to these Eldar mayhaps?

DM

Well, eldar (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceElves)are basically elves (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurElvesAreBetter) in space (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlekt6mtovm4vne?from=Main.RECYCLEDInSpace). So, using elf stats would be a good start. Maybe drow stats.

Icedaemon
2011-03-19, 06:36 AM
Keep in mind, the dark eldar wyches are supposed to be deadly enough to routinely take on ECL 10+ space marines while wearing little more than a bikini. Many Dark Eldar weapons are far superior to fully automatic caseless grenade launchers, which would translate into 'gobs of damage' and be vastly overpowered compared to SRD equipment in the hands of even near-epic D&D characters. The basic splinter rifle might not be incredibly powerful (except, obviously, when it uses ammunition that literally homes in on targets' souls), but the standard heavy weapon, the Dark Lance, quite literally fires miniature spheres of annihilation at near lightspeed.

If the PCs get their hands on that, what'd be able to oppose them?

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-19, 11:50 AM
Keep in mind, the dark eldar wyches are supposed to be deadly enough to routinely take on ECL 10+ space marines while wearing little more than a bikini. Many Dark Eldar weapons are far superior to fully automatic caseless grenade launchers, which would translate into 'gobs of damage' and be vastly overpowered compared to SRD equipment in the hands of even near-epic D&D characters. The basic splinter rifle might not be incredibly powerful (except, obviously, when it uses ammunition that literally homes in on targets' souls), but the standard heavy weapon, the Dark Lance, quite literally fires miniature spheres of annihilation at near lightspeed.

If the PCs get their hands on that, what'd be able to oppose them?

More Dark Eldar! :smalltongue:

but you have a good point, thinking of making the energy based weapons like wands on steriods. i.e. powerful but limited charges after which it can only be recharged using arcane technologies located only in the Dark City or on a Dark Eldar ship.

Partysan
2011-03-19, 12:19 PM
Problem is, 40k is generally far more based on high lethality and low hitpoints than D&D. In the tabletop even a Space Marine only has one wound. To replicate 40k weapons in D&D you'd have to use really wicked damage codes.

Energy weapons could obviously be replicated by melee touch attacks. Dark Lances might be disintegrate rays. Wyches' special weapons might make the enemy flatfooted so they can constantly apply sneak attack damage.
However I'm not sure how to replicate the poison abilities of their weaponry that wounds regardless of the enemy's toughness.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-19, 01:55 PM
what about if the needles themselves did negligible damage (d3) but the poison does 50 minus your fort save damage?

something like that anyway

DM

Partysan
2011-03-19, 04:26 PM
Somewhat misses the point, since then again the tougher enemies take less damage. It would have to deal a certain percentage of maximum health in damage, but that's a very clunky rule and I'd rather avoid using it.

Maybe it deals one level of fatigue.

Icedaemon
2011-03-19, 05:34 PM
Energy weapons could obviously be replicated by melee touch attacks. Dark Lances might be disintegrate rays. Wyches' special weapons might make the enemy flatfooted so they can constantly apply sneak attack damage.
However I'm not sure how to replicate the poison abilities of their weaponry that wounds regardless of the enemy's toughness.

An easy way to make the wych weapons lethal would be ruling that the 'monomolecular blade' essentially equals 'vorpal'. Thus, the splinter rifle has a vorpal bayonet.

I felt sphere of annihilation to be the apter, because the weapon's fluff (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blaster)literally states that the 'dark matter' of the dark lances literally fires supercompressed bursts of dark matter/black hole component, with sufficient density that they act as microscopic black holes. Compared to this, the bright lance "Really good laser" is just a crude toy used by the low-tech cowards who fled the homeworlds with inferior equipment. Thus, it meshes better with Sphere of Annihilation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#sphereofAnnihilation) than with Disintegrate.

The Necrons 'gauss' flayer weapons are more like 'automatic disintegration rays'.

Given how not all splinter weapons are poisonous, I would suggest the splinters themselves at the very least doing as much damage as D20 Modern sniper rifles, which deal 2d12 damage or so. After all, the splinter rifles fire crystal shards at speeds that are at the very least equal to those of modern high-powered rifle bullets. 3d8 or 4d6 is a good number. The poison itself should both be 'fort save or potentially fatal ability damage' and 'incredibly high will save to not collapse due to unbearable pain'.

Partysan
2011-03-19, 05:47 PM
Vorpal is extremely overrated. In that case I'd prefer the flatfooting. It also fits better with the fluff.

True, the sphere fist better, but it's too powerful, offering no save or numbers and just destroying everything.
The sphere of ultimate destruction (SpC) has similar fluff and acts similar to disintegrate, so I thought of that. (Alright, I thought of it because I mixed up the spheres, but nya.)
Agreed on Gauss weapons.

That concept of splinter weapons might work as well. The damage codes fit. I'm also partial to the save solution since due to the distribution of saves in D&D will and fortitude combined are effective against most opponents.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-25, 05:31 PM
The fluff link is from third edition dark eldar

I am working off the fifth ed codex

Also, I dont have the book but which splinter weapons arre not poisoned?

DM

Partysan
2011-03-26, 06:02 AM
5th edition codex all the splinter weapons are poisoned.

Any comments on our suggestions/discussion?

Icedaemon
2011-03-26, 06:13 AM
I am not sure if this is all up to date, but there's plenty of info here... (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Splinter_Rifle#Splinter_Rifle)