PDA

View Full Version : Your Phobias

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-15, 08:48 PM
OK, so what are your silly phobias? I know I have Entomophobia (bugs), Acrophobia (heights), and Bathophobia (depths) coupled with Hydrophobia (water) only together mind you, I'm not afraid of plain ol' water... >.>

araveugnitsuga
2011-03-15, 08:51 PM
I had Monophobia, Lygophobia, Cynophobia and Acrophobia.
I went to therapy (and grew up) and now only my Acrophobia remains and it's heavily diminished to slight fear.

druid91
2011-03-15, 08:55 PM
I have mild Agoraphobia(I think that's what it's called, I'm scared of large open spaces.)

It's not enough to stop me during the day. But if it's dark, and there is nothing around me for a good distance I will run to a wall or enclosed area.

Morph Bark
2011-03-15, 08:57 PM
Just take to mind that a phobia is a very strong and irrational fear of something rather than just simply being afraid of something more than other things.

The only thing I'd classify for me as a phobia would be a fear of falling. Dunno the Greek name for it though.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-15, 09:00 PM
Just take to mind that a phobia is a very strong and irrational fear of something rather than just simply being afraid of something more than other things.

Well... OK. I guess I could just say "Silly Fears" but Phobias is such an eye-catcher.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-15, 09:02 PM
My fear is talking to her in the laundromat.

Zaydos
2011-03-15, 09:03 PM
Roosters and hair combs. Also poisonous snakes but I don't think that counts as a phobia.

Private-Prinny
2011-03-15, 09:05 PM
Bees. *shudders*

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-15, 09:05 PM
Roosters

I sympathize with you. I have been attacked by a Rooster at a friend's farm. They're mean ****.

druid91
2011-03-15, 09:06 PM

The only thing I'd classify for me as a phobia would be a fear of falling. Dunno the Greek name for it though.

Well mine used to be strong but living in a rural area I sorta had to get over it.

Threeshades
2011-03-15, 09:11 PM
Used to have Entomophobia until I just decided to pick up a big rhinobeetle female me and my girlfriend found in hungary and put it on my hand. Wasn't really all that bad. By the way despite being creeped out by insects I was always fine with spiders, worms and such.

Also Altiphobia, though not too strong a case, I just feel kind of uncomfortable in high places without anything to hold on to. I can still climb ladders.

Well I guess they both don't really count as phobias, since I got over one quite easily and the other never has been that prominent at all.

Emperor Ing
2011-03-15, 09:11 PM
Flying stinging insects. You know who you are. :smallannoyed:

Though a couple months ago I stumbled on an invisible (It really was! I swear!) beehive. Let's just say that I didn't need to know the hard way that i'm not allergic to bee stings. On the bright side, that incident's demystified them to me, because it didn't hurt as much as it used to.

MoonCat
2011-03-15, 09:12 PM
I am absolutely terrified of underwater rocks. And snow drifts.

Mauve Shirt
2011-03-15, 09:24 PM
Bugs crawling on me. Any bugs, stinging or non-stinging.

Pika...
2011-03-15, 09:52 PM
Snakes, spiders, scorpions, heights.

ghost_warlock
2011-03-15, 10:10 PM
I have a fear of falling/heights. It's not crippling but does endanger my safety because I start shaking, which can be dangerous on ladders and such.
I don't like fish. Or, rather, I don't like being in the water with them and I don't like touching them or them touching me unless I'm eating them.

Something rather specific:
I used to work as a credit card collection agent. The way the system works is that the computer dials 4-5 numbers and, whichever one is answered first, will then direct the call to the collection rep (such as myself). Out of necessity, there is a short delay, a couple seconds, between when the person on the other end of the line said "hello" and when I'm fed the call and can respond. So, the person on the other end was usually a few words into a sentence by the time I was even aware I was in contact with them. Over the course of my shift, being dropped abruptly into a conversations already begun stressed me out almost to the point of anxiety attacks. I was not at that job very long. :smallsigh:

Lyndworm
2011-03-15, 10:36 PM

:smallamused:

I'm not really afraid of anything, I'm afraid. I get nervous in many situations, such as tight spaces, open spaces, heights, deep water, and anywhere with a lot of people... but I'm not really afraid. Just slightly more stressed than usual. The closest I have to an actual phobia would be... people in "mascot" type costumes. I'm totally fine looking at photos or if they're on TV, but in person they creep the living bejeesus out of me. I'm talking about Barney the purple dinosaur (whom I enjoyed until meeting in person a great many years ago), or Mickey Mouse, here. being within 60ft of these guys just give me the willies.

I've seen real phobias. My mom and my sister are both claustrophobic (fear of enclosed areas) and I've seen them freak out in totally safe situations. My sister doesn't even like to shut the bathroom door (she does anyway for privacy, but making the room "smaller" makes her very nervous).

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2011-03-15, 10:39 PM
Bugs. I'm also quite uncomfortable on ladders, and I spent a half-dozn years terrified that if I took a bath, a giant ship-sinking sunfish would come out of the faucet. Showered ever since.

But definately the bugs.

Kallisti
2011-03-15, 11:21 PM
Spiders, oh God, spiders. We know, We know, We're several hundred times larger than most of them. Nothing should be allowed to scuttle around like that, it's most upsettling.

Thanqol
2011-03-15, 11:28 PM
Masks. Not lifelike masks, but ones that lack even reference to human features.

Majora's Mask is the most terrifying game I ever played for that reason.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-03-15, 11:29 PM
Needles. Good lord, I hate them. I'm 23 years old, and I still start to freak out when I have to get a shot. And by freak out, I mean I start to hyperventilate and get a really strong urge to just up and run.

It's not the pain, either. It's the idea of a small, pointy metal object going into my skin.

*shudders*

Also, I know two people who are very much afraid of butterflies. Just butterflies. They're fine with any other insect. Even moths.

Awaking
2011-03-15, 11:30 PM
I have a fear of rollercoasters :smallredface:

Valameer
2011-03-15, 11:37 PM
I have ligyrophobia, intense fear of loud (especially sudden) noises. Caused (or made worse, who knows) by my hyperacusis (I hear certain noises very sharply).

It sucks, 'cause I've lived my whole life being "lol that guy who's scared of balloons and fireworks lol"

I'm not just scared. It physically hurts. And, of course, I'm also terrified. :smallfrown:

OverThoughtName
2011-03-15, 11:39 PM
As an asthmatic, I've developed hydrophobia of being in open water. Asphyxiation of any kind is not fun, and, while I know I can swim and can wade, that doesn't really matter to my mind anymore. Thus why my favorite part of the pool is the edge. I have a hand on it, I'm not going under, my lungs get to keep air.

Andraste
2011-03-15, 11:40 PM
I'm afraid of plenty of things, but the only one I'd consider a phobia would be having animals touching me. If a ferret* brushes my leg, I'll freak out. A cat jumping on my lap makes me jump up and start yelling, which usually makes the cat dig it's claws in and is what I'm mostly afraid of in the first place. I don't even like animals being near enough to me that they could jump on me, so when they walk past me while I'm sitting I feel very unnerved.

*This example is relevant as my family doesn't like having less than four ferrets.

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-15, 11:40 PM
Masks. Not lifelike masks, but ones that lack even reference to human features.

Majora's Mask is the most terrifying game I ever played for that reason.

*looks at your avatar*

Uh.

Anyway, I'll throw in with the "stinging insects" crowd. I get absolutely freakish around bees. On a good day, I'll just uncomfortably shift around, trying to keep my distance from them despite the fact that such a thing is impossible because they don't stop flying around you, centering in on humans because they just know that if they keep trying you'll slip up and they'll get an excuse to ruin your week by sinking a barbed sac of poison into your face and sure they're supposed to be looking for flowers but you know there's no flowers anywhere near you it's you they're after they can smell your fearTHEYCANSMELLYOURFEAR.

*cough*

I'm sorry, where was I? Ah, yes. On a bad day, I'll actually start flailing around. Either way, I'll be a lot more difficult to converse with. I'm not quite at phobia level, because if I have a REASON to besides simple social convention, I can go through bee-infested territory without going berserk. It's pretty bad, though.

I also tend to get a bit uneasy around things that are reasonable to be uneasy around. You know, spiders, snakes of unknown nature, other dangerous animals (especially dogs, because they seem to be actively aggressive towards humans), heights (mostly unguarded ledges), that sort of thing. But "uneasy" is hardly a big deal.

Thanqol
2011-03-15, 11:54 PM
*looks at your avatar*

Uh.

Hey man, it worked for Batman.

Lex-Kat
2011-03-15, 11:57 PM
Similar.

I also have a slight fear of spiders. But only when they are crawling on the ceiling above me, or across the wall. If they are in their web, waiting to capture a scrumptous bug, I can watch them for hours.

And lastly, I have a phobia of pressing crowds. Like during Christmas shopping any time after Thanksgiving. :smallyuk:

Nix Nihila
2011-03-16, 12:07 AM
I have a lot of irrational fears. Probably the worst is my Claustrophobia (I never take elevators unless absolutely necessary, as in, there are no stairs).

Another thing that I'm not sure counts as a phobia, is my irrational fear of being stabbed or scratched or something on the neck. My neck always feels incredibly vulnerable and I'm just strangely paranoid about it. For some reason, if I wear a scarf, I'm fine. Which is why I wear lots of scarves.

Fiery Diamond
2011-03-16, 12:08 AM
Bees, Crowds, Heights, and novel situations.

My fears are less pronounced than they used to be.

Time was I could see a bee several yards away and run in terror. Now I just flee if they're within a couple feet and watch&evade if they're farther. Pictures of bees send my heart racing, and not in a good way. I concur with the "they can smell your fear" thing.

Once I would be terrified of being high in the mountains or up on ladders. Now I just seize up if I can see a drop off in the mountains (lookawaylookawaylookaway) and feel incredibly nervous on ladders. I also get vertigo looking up at sheer cliffs as well as down them.

I freak if I'm in a place with a lot of people unless I've had time to get used to it (like a dining hall). If I have too many people in close proximity to me, I get really jittery. If there are enough people around to literally get lost in the crowd, I'm terrified.

I have anxiety issues, which manifest prominently in new situations that require action on my part. Going to a restaurant that has a different method of getting food than usual? Get someone else to do it for me or I'd run away. This actually happened once. I'm not quite that bad anymore, but... I was in college when it happened, so it's not just because of being a kid.

Also, depths where you can't see the bottom terrify me. I would never want to be on a small boat in the ocean or any really big lake.

Lyndworm
2011-03-16, 12:18 AM
I don't know if this makes it better or worse for you guys with entomophobia, but most insects (perhaps especially bees, wasps, and ants) can smell your fear. Literally. Their antennae are hypersensitive to chemicals in the air, especially pheromones, and they know when we start pumping out adrenaline. They assume that this is an aggressive response on our part, and that coupled with the fast, jerky movements that are oh-so-common in the truly afraid are what make them want to attack us.

Bleak Ink
2011-03-16, 12:25 AM
I have ligyrophobia, intense fear of loud (especially sudden) noises. Caused (or made worse, who knows) by my hyperacusis (I hear certain noises very sharply).

There are actual names for those? I've been that way for years, and had no idea it was a legitimate... I learned something today.

And lastly, I have a phobia of pressing crowds. Like during Christmas shopping any time after Thanksgiving. :smallyuk:

Same here. I knew I had it, but since transferring out of a tiny rural community to a moderately sized city it's really struck me.
My new school has this fantastic way of running things where they squeeze every member of the student body into these tiny hallways, and everybody is hurrying and toppling against one another going different directions, and you can't see anything but people, and they all push and shove and bump into you, and it's warm and uncomfortable and smells like Axe and cheap citrus perfume and you can't breathe and you start shaking really badly and just keep your eyes on the ground and shove through you'll never get to class otherwise and...
You get the picture. :smallfrown: Social phobias suck.

I also have Trypanophobia: the fear of medical needles. I fight anxiety attacks- oh, I have anxiety disorders, which are totally not awesome- every time I have to go in for a shot. When it comes to getting blood drawn, the closest I've ever come to passing out happened as I sat watching the nurse prepare the Godlessly huge vampiric device.

*shudders* I have to go make some tea.

Lither
2011-03-16, 03:33 AM
Xenophobia. Not in the racist way, oh, no, but in the actual crippling phobia of people I haven't met before.

EDIT: Oh, and I find it extremely annoying how xenophobia is so ingrained into peoples minds as being racist I can't explain it without people jumping to conclusions.

Teddy
2011-03-16, 04:46 AM
Needles. Good lord, I hate them. I'm 23 years old, and I still start to freak out when I have to get a shot. And by freak out, I mean I start to hyperventilate and get a really strong urge to just up and run.

It's not the pain, either. It's the idea of a small, pointy metal object going into my skin.

*shudders*

This is 100% true for me too. Every word of it. When I have to get a shot, I instinctively grasp my left shoulder where they're going to give it, and refuse to let go. Last time I did it (~1 month ago), dad had to wrestle my right arm down on my chest to give the nurse a clear shot (no pun intended). The interesting part then was that I didn't move my left arm, but I guess I don't want to flail my arm around blindly (I always look away from syringes) when someone is holding a sharp object nearby.

I also keep grasping my shoulder after the shot for no apparent reason, and refuse to let go for quite some time.

Also, as I said, I dislike looking at syringes or people getting a shot, which is greatly amplified if I know I'm about to get one soon. I can't stand being in the same room as objects intended to pierce through the skin for medical purposes (a weapons exhibition is just fine :smalltongue:), especially when people are using them too.

I have a great respect for knives and such too, and I really dislike people pointing such items in my direction.

I have anxiety issues, which manifest prominently in new situations that require action on my part. Going to a restaurant that has a different method of getting food than usual? Get someone else to do it for me or I'd run away. This actually happened once. I'm not quite that bad anymore, but... I was in college when it happened, so it's not just because of being a kid.

This is also true for me. Restaurants are one of the places where it becomes more prominent. I somehow hate to order things on my own. Shops make me exhibit this anxiety too, but I've learned to handle most of it in this case.

I have a hard time making new friends and keeping old friends because I can't take social initiatives without a lot of prodding (mostly from my parents side).

I also have Trypanophobia: the fear of medical needles. I fight anxiety attacks- oh, I have anxiety disorders, which are totally not awesome- every time I have to go in for a shot. When it comes to getting blood drawn, the closest I've ever come to passing out happened as I sat watching the nurse prepare the Godlessly huge vampiric device.

So it's called Trypanophobia. I should put that on my memory, it might come in handy...

Xenophobia. Not in the racist way, oh, no, but in the actual crippling phobia of people I haven't met before.

EDIT: Oh, and I find it extremely annoying how xenophobia is so ingrained into peoples minds as being racist I can't explain it without people jumping to conclusions.

Have you tried to explain it first and first when they understand say that it's called xenophobia? First impressions are hard to erase, so it might be a good idea to give them one that don't make them jump to conclusions...

Lither
2011-03-16, 04:54 AM
Have you tried to explain it first and first when they understand say that it's called xenophobia? First impressions are hard to erase, so it might be a good idea to give them one that don't make them jump to conclusions...

Tried that, but in my experience the minute I mention it's called xenophobia, it permanently leaves a mark on their impressions.

I just call it "a severe case of social awkwardness", which is technically true.

But then again, the amount of times I talk to people I don't know in real life (online doesn't count - it doesn't trigger it) isn't particularly common.

Teddy
2011-03-16, 05:08 AM
Tried that, but in my experience the minute I mention it's called xenophobia, it permanently leaves a mark on their impressions.

I just call it "a severe case of social awkwardness", which is technically true.

But then again, the amount of times I talk to people I don't know in real life (online doesn't count - it doesn't trigger it) isn't particularly common.

Good call.

Also, just as for you, the Internet doesn't seem to trigger my social anxiety, which is really lucky, because at least there is somewhere I feel at home. :smallsmile:

Nix Nihila
2011-03-16, 10:32 AM
Ah, yeah. I knew I was forgetting another big one. I hate needles too. So much that I actually have passed out when doctors have tried to take my blood. It just doesn't happen that often to me, fortunately.

Keveak
2011-03-16, 10:45 AM
Entomophobia, arachnophobia, acrophobia, Trypanophibia, aichmophobia, genophobia, nosophobia and thanatophobia.

Bugs and spiders makes me really paranoid and twitchy when I can't see where they went. And they just look so scary. :smalleek:

I have no idea why I am afraid of needles or pointy objects, but I just barely avoid panicking when I get a shot and I get really uncomfortable even looking at one.

Genophobia is probably the weirdest one here, everything about sex just really creeps me out.

And fear of dying is probably self-explanatory. It's really scare when you consider afterlives doolaly tosh.

So yeah, I have a lot of phobias, but I have gotten better at not getting direct panic attacks any more and I have only minor social anxiety so I guess I should feel lucky. :smallsmile:

Some of the stuff in this thread sounds frightfully terribly, though, I feel sorry for you guys. :smallfrown:

THAC0
2011-03-16, 11:00 AM
Tornados, avalanches, and mudflats. Ick.

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-16, 10:30 PM
i have a rather deep fear of grasshoppers and other hopping bugs.

long story short, when i was three i got caught in a swarm of them whil visiting family in alabama.

druid91
2011-03-16, 10:49 PM
Entomophobia, arachnophobia, acrophobia, Trypanophibia, aichmophobia, genophobia, nosophobia and thanatophobia.

Bugs and spiders makes me really paranoid and twitchy when I can't see where they went. And they just look so scary. :smalleek:

I have no idea why I am afraid of needles or pointy objects, but I just barely avoid panicking when I get a shot and I get really uncomfortable even looking at one.

Genophobia is probably the weirdest one here, everything about sex just really creeps me out.

And fear of dying is probably self-explanatory. It's really scare when you consider afterlives doolaly tosh.

So yeah, I have a lot of phobias, but I have gotten better at not getting direct panic attacks any more and I have only minor social anxiety so I guess I should feel lucky. :smallsmile:

Some of the stuff in this thread sounds frightfully terribly, though, I feel sorry for you guys. :smallfrown:

You know, I should probably add fear of dying to my list as well. Considering I have let it completely warp me at times.

lord pringle
2011-03-16, 11:11 PM
Mine are weird. High anxiety (having something suddenly cancel really sets me off), fear of people laughing at me, water, bugs, crowds (of people only), and open spaces. I only feel safe while at home or gaming.

MoonCat
2011-03-16, 11:14 PM

I think that, although you are correct, xenphobia is the right word, shyness around strangers might give you better results around judgemental people.

ForzaFiori
2011-03-16, 11:48 PM
I used to have minor arachnophobia. I couldn't be in the same room with a spider, or even a spider web. If I walked through a web, it would freak me out for at least 30 minutes, and the one time I found a spider in my bed (at boyscout camp), i had to be sedated. However, exposure to spiders (my biology teacher had a rose haired tarantula that's the only spider I've ever let touch me, and my house is in the woods and therefor surrounded by the damn things) has left me so that I can deal with a spider IF I can see it (if it gets behind something, I won't go near it) and IF it isn't coming towards me.

I just can't get over how completely disgusting and creepy they are.

Dvandemon
2011-03-16, 11:58 PM
Isolation, blindness*, depths etc. Also, I can't close my eyes too long in the shower without seeing sharks and giant octopi

*and a slight fear of breaking my glasses and getting the shards in my eyes

Bleak Ink
2011-03-17, 12:09 AM
Good call.

Also, just as for you, the Internet doesn't seem to trigger my social anxiety, which is really lucky, because at least there is somewhere I feel at home. :smallsmile:

Same here! I vastly prefer conversing via internet than having people come up and try and spur a conversation- they creep me out, but the people whose faces I can't see and whom I can know virtually nothing about I'm perfectly comfortable speaking with. :smalltongue:
At least here you know you have some things in common, and it doesn't drain energy like conversing with someone in the room. I find it a lot more fun conversing this way, too.

Also, as I said, I dislike looking at syringes or people getting a shot, which is greatly amplified if I know I'm about to get one soon. I can't stand being in the same room as objects intended to pierce through the skin for medical purposes (a weapons exhibition is just fine :smalltongue:), especially when people are using them too.

I have the exact same thing! I actually have to look away from the screen if it's showing people getting shots, and recoil if I'm expected to enter a room in which there are obviously needles and whatnot.
But I'm completely at ease if a guy right next to me has a battle axe resting on his shoulder.

I have a hard time making new friends and keeping old friends because I can't take social initiatives without a lot of prodding (mostly from my parents side).

Preach it! I drive my parents up the wall with my complete lack of interest in social endeavors. My mother would weep for joy if I had a friend over or crept out of the house to go to a party like a "normal" teenager would, but I'm perfectly content to be locked away in my room with my books and a laptop. She's actually made me go to school dances, which obviously did a lot more than cheat me out of my evenings as I hung about the farthest corner of the room looking things up on my iPod.

I definitely have that too, despite efforts on the contrary.

Edit- Dvandemon, you've just reminded me of another one: I, too, have the fear of blindness.

Lither
2011-03-17, 03:49 AM
You know, I should probably add fear of dying to my list as well. Considering I have let it completely warp me at times.

It's funny, really, but I don't have a fear of dying. It's more what causes me to die that I'm afraid of. Y'know, like our Sydney Funnelweb spider (vicious buggers).

I think that, although you are correct, xenphobia is the right word, shyness around strangers might give you better results around judgemental people.

I live mostly by myself (excepting family). Excepting school, inevitable psychological counseling, and gaming (they always make me DM), well, I can't remember the last time I went out by my own accord. So, I don't hang around strangers.

Teddy
2011-03-17, 09:40 AM
I used to have minor arachnophobia. I couldn't be in the same room with a spider, or even a spider web. If I walked through a web, it would freak me out for at least 30 minutes, and the one time I found a spider in my bed (at boyscout camp), i had to be sedated. However, exposure to spiders (my biology teacher had a rose haired tarantula that's the only spider I've ever let touch me, and my house is in the woods and therefor surrounded by the damn things) has left me so that I can deal with a spider IF I can see it (if it gets behind something, I won't go near it) and IF it isn't coming towards me.

I just can't get over how completely disgusting and creepy they are.

Now I'm curious about what your definition of major arachniphobia is. :smallconfused::smallwink:

Same here! I vastly prefer conversing via internet than having people come up and try and spur a conversation- they creep me out, but the people whose faces I can't see and whom I can know virtually nothing about I'm perfectly comfortable speaking with. :smalltongue:
At least here you know you have some things in common, and it doesn't drain energy like conversing with someone in the room. I find it a lot more fun conversing this way, too.

Well, I don't actually have a problem with conversing, but I'm terrible at keeping the conversation going. My interests are mostly too different from everyone else's, and I don't think people are intrested in listening to me talking about myself for an eternity and a half. On the Internet it's easier to find someone with similar interests, and even if you don't, you can't see everyone elses boredom through the screen. :smallwink:

I have the exact same thing! I actually have to look away from the screen if it's showing people getting shots, and recoil if I'm expected to enter a room in which there are obviously needles and whatnot.
But I'm completely at ease if a guy right next to me has a battle axe resting on his shoulder.

I look away too, and even though I won't recoil, I'll grow more and more uncomfortable if I'm staying in the same room as those objects.

Preach it! I drive my parents up the wall with my complete lack of interest in social endeavors. My mother would weep for joy if I had a friend over or crept out of the house to go to a party like a "normal" teenager would, but I'm perfectly content to be locked away in my room with my books and a laptop. She's actually made me go to school dances, which obviously did a lot more than cheat me out of my evenings as I hung about the farthest corner of the room looking things up on my iPod.

Same as with conversations, I do actually enjoy parttaking in a lot of activities, but I'm utterly terrible at seeking them out myself. Generally, I want things to come and ask me, and generally, I'm never even noticed (I usually joke about my completely blue clothing making me invisible. I'm not even noticed by laser beams (true story)).

I definitely have that too, despite efforts on the contrary.

How exactly do you rid yourself of a fear of death? It's not like you could use cognitive behavioral therapy on it. "And now I will shoot my assistant in the head and you will see that there's nothing to be afraid of at all." :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-17, 09:47 AM
Dogs, seriously freeze up around any dogs (along with a barely repressable urge to kick any that come near me).

Had a housemate in my first year of uni who freaked out if he saw wire wool, which made me feel better about my dog thing.

MoonCat
2011-03-17, 10:33 AM
I realized I had forgotten to mention, I get paralyzed with fear and nausea if I ever see someone's wrist.

Teddy
2011-03-17, 10:39 AM
I realized I had forgotten to mention, I get paralyzed with fear and nausea if I ever see someone's wrist.

:smallconfused::smalleek:
How do you even survive among people in the summer? Or anytime, really?

Keveak
2011-03-17, 10:43 AM
Also, I'd say that deafness would be scarier than blindness. It seems you'd be much more isolated, both from people, and your environment--a serial killer could sneak right up on you, and you'd never even hear the creepy music in the background.

I'd be miserable with either but I'd by far prefer deafness.

Mainly because there is sign language and all hope of becoming a successful artist would be ruined if I was blind.

Unless I took up music or voice-acting!

Yay! Plan B!

How exactly do you rid yourself of a fear of death? It's not like you could use cognitive behavioral therapy on it. "And now I will shoot my assistant in the head and you will see that there's nothing to be afraid of at all." :smallwink:

Some people are not afraid of it.

Most of them believe in some manner of afterlife but some actually don't mind dying.

Like my old Biology teacher, he like the idea of becoming part of the eco-system again. Confused me proper.

Maybe if we had automatic clones and some way to copy our memories to them? Then we could die ad it would be completely harmless!

SCIENCE!

MoonCat
2011-03-17, 10:44 AM
:smallconfused::smalleek:
How do you even survive among people in the summer? Or anytime, really?

I don't look at their wrists. Mainly I mean the area just below the palm of the hand. I keep thinking it will just snap backwards and all the veins will come out. I often will have to ask people to rest their head on their hands in the other direction, but I do deal with it enough to not have a total meltdown.

Lyndworm
2011-03-17, 10:52 AM
I'd be miserable with either but I'd by far prefer deafness.

Mainly because there is sign language and all hope of becoming a successful artist would be ruined if I was blind.

Unless I took up music or voice-acting!

Yay! Plan B!

I actually know a little bit of sign language (but not as much as I want to; my uncle's deaf), so going deaf doesn't scare me very much at all. I know the entire alphabet by heart, plus a few dozen basic signs. Going blind is an unnerving concept, but I'm not actually afraid of it.

Most of them believe in some manner of afterlife but some actually don't mind dying.

Like my old Biology teacher, he like the idea of becoming part of the eco-system again. Confused me proper.

Maybe if we had automatic clones and some way to copy our memories to them? Then we could die ad it would be completely harmless!

SCIENCE!

I agree with your Biology teacher. I believe that there is a finite amount of energy in this world, and we all get to borrow it for a few years. Eventually, you have to give it back. Such is the circle, the circle of life!/Disney

Teddy
2011-03-17, 10:57 AM

SCIENCE!

Well, of course isn't everyone afraid of death. I'm not. I just wondered what "efforts on the contrary meant".

Keveak
2011-03-17, 12:35 PM
I agree with your Biology teacher. I believe that there is a finite amount of energy in this world, and we all get to borrow it for a few years. Eventually, you have to give it back. Such is the circle, the circle of life!/Disney

I don't know if it's finite or not but I hope there's enough to last for at least the time of spacewhales and world peace.

I will, however, say that even if there is a cosmic law binding us to give the energy back (I'm no scientist so I can't say if there is) we technically do. ^_^

That's why we need food to supply more! :D

Thus I think any potential over-looker will forgive me for attempting immortality. Or at least if I give them pie. :3

Well, of course isn't everyone afraid of death. I'm not. I just wondered what "efforts on the contrary meant".

Denial? Hypnosis? Changing view on life?

Other than that I don't know either. :smallsmile:

Castaras
2011-03-17, 01:23 PM
I faint when it comes to injections (Trypanophobia). Which means it's a phobia rather than a fear.

I don't like buzzy stingy bugs. And I used to be terrified of butterflies. Never had a phobia of any of these things though.

banjo1985
2011-03-17, 03:48 PM
Flying. And dying actually. I have rhyming fears!

Probably linked, methinks. :smalleek:

Watcher
2011-03-17, 04:05 PM
I've got arachnophobia and heliophobia. I cannot touch spiders and will sleep in another room if I see one in my room. The closest contact I get with it is vacuuming one up, but I have a hard time doing that. Of heliophobia, I'm not afraid of skin cancer or anything, but I can't stand sunlight. I'm even afraid of UV rays coming through the clouds on overcast days. As much as possible, I'll wear long sleeves, sunglasses, and sometimes a hat. I'll put my hands in my pockets and get where I need to go as fast as possible. As a result (or perhaps in addition to that), I'm intensely pale and my eyes are too sensitive.

Dvandemon
2011-03-17, 04:56 PM
Also, I'd say that deafness would be scarier than blindness. It seems you'd be much more isolated, both from people, and your environment--a serial killer could sneak right up on you, and you'd never even hear the creepy music in the background.
They're both equally horrible

Teddy
2011-03-17, 07:15 PM
I've got arachnophobia and heliophobia. I cannot touch spiders and will sleep in another room if I see one in my room. The closest contact I get with it is vacuuming one up, but I have a hard time doing that. Of heliophobia, I'm not afraid of skin cancer or anything, but I can't stand sunlight. I'm even afraid of UV rays coming through the clouds on overcast days. As much as possible, I'll wear long sleeves, sunglasses, and sometimes a hat. I'll put my hands in my pockets and get where I need to go as fast as possible. As a result (or perhaps in addition to that), I'm intensely pale and my eyes are too sensitive.

Ooof, that sounds like a neverending spiral. Not exposing yourself to sunlight means that you won't grow any protection against it, which means that you'll want even less to be in the sunlight...

Blynkibrax
2011-03-17, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure if this counts as a phobia, but I have a very intense and irrational loathing and hatred of polystyrene.

The touch of it, the texture, that screeching rubbery sound it makes when it rubs up against itself and other objects... Eurgh. Just the thought of it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Vile stuff.

Groundhog
2011-03-17, 11:22 PM
Odd as this may sound, I'm scared of smoke/CO alarms. This is mostly because I was asked to test one out when I was about four years old, before I knew that they made really loud noises. I pressed the test button, and then fell off the stool I was standing on in shock. So I give a wide berth to any smoke/CO alarm that has batteries in it, and I also feel an odd sense of triumph when I see one whose batteries have been removed.

Teddy
2011-03-19, 07:23 AM
I went into a long tirade toward mum this morning about what confronting a phobia (in order to defeat it) really means. Mum is of the opinion that anxieties and phobias are to be confronted, and she has a lack of patience against those who have any of these, but don't do anything about it (which happens to include me, and to some extent my brothers as well).

She talked about it as living with fear as opposed to living free from fear, which I frankly find to be a bit of a simplification, and a pretty annoying such too, so I answered that it's living with a fear but avoiding subjecting yourself to it, as opposed to actively seek out what terrifies you the most(-ish) in the entire world and subjecting yourself to it for an extended amount of time in order to gain a form of control over it later.

I compared it to as an unarmed, unarmored civilian actively seeking out to trap itself in a war zone. You're completely powerless and pretty much any step in any direction will prove more dangerous than just staying put. The only thing you have is your complete and utter panic.

I think it had her think, because she became silent and made a bit of a hasty retreat out of the house (she was already on her way when the discussion started).

Traab
2011-03-19, 10:06 AM
I have two, though I dont know the names. I have a fear of bees wasps and hornets, though its not insurmountable, I just get very edgy around them. The other one is a bit odd. I hate walking through dark places, it makes me feel like im being followed. Im not afraid of the dark, its just, best example for me is this. My staircase leading to my bedroom is unlit. So its fairly dark to walk to my room at night. As soon as I start walking up the steps I get this intense feeling that something is coming up behind me and its all I can do to avoid sprinting for my room. Once im there im fine. My room is nice and dark and I dont care, its just the TRAVELING part that scares me.

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-03-19, 12:04 PM
Not sure but think I might actually be frightened of toads.

Cartoons of toads are fine, the word toad is fine, seeing a live toad in it's dry and warty splendour in my back yard sends shivers down my spine for entirely unknown reasons. I didn't think the toad was capable of hurting me or was likely to but I felt irrationally uncomfortable looking at it and kind of feel the same way looking back on it - even though I wanted to like the toad.

Another one that I think is more reasonable and is much more likely to inconvenience me but is still slightly odd would be drunkenness.
I'm terrified of drunken strangers; I freak out if I see my friends really drunk because I become convinced that if they don't outright die as a consequence they'll at least have some sort of awful accident, and I fear becoming drunk myself so I never drink more than a glass of something unless I'm eating loads at the time. I don't mind if other people drink though, if the atmosphere is familiar and quiet enough then I can quite happily sit with people while they drink and slightly tipsy is fine too, it's just when it gets to the stage that they're not quite the person that they usually would be because of the drink that freaks me out. Plus people going out deliberately to get rat-arsed irks me.

Temotei
2011-03-19, 12:16 PM
Agateophobia (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agateophobia). There's really not much to say except that I think about this quite a bit, though I wouldn't classify it as a phobia quite yet, since it hasn't hindered my everyday life; it's just dominated in thoughts for a while.

Also, spiders. Unless I can squish them at the time, I'm pretty scared.

Asta Kask
2011-03-19, 12:17 PM
Fear of falling and of heights. Just thinking about it gives me jitters.

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-03-19, 02:02 PM
Agateophobia (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agateophobia). There's really not much to say except that I think about this quite a bit, though I wouldn't classify it as a phobia quite yet, since it hasn't hindered my everyday life; it's just dominated in thoughts for a while.

Your link was mean to me. :smallfrown::smallbiggrin: Actually, I kind of found the google search doing itself frightening, but probably not phobia frightening. I do have kind of a thing about loss of control though (I'm fine about things I had no control over in the first place, but this is one of the reasons drunkenness frightens me, the loss of control).
I sympathise with the Agateophobia now that I know what it is though - there's a lot of mental illness in my family, many of us are on the autistic spectrum and it's recently been suggested that I may be somewhere on there in a more significant way than the average person which has thrown me a bit. We have depression by the bucket load too. So fear of insanity's kind of a biggy for me too.

I'm not sure if this counts as a phobia, but I have a very intense and irrational loathing and hatred of polystyrene.

The touch of it, the texture, that screeching rubbery sound it makes when it rubs up against itself and other objects... Eurgh. Just the thought of it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Vile stuff.

Ooh. Think the polystyrene thing is a bit like my toad thing. I know what you mean though, it's one of those fingernails down a chalkboard kind of sounds.

If I don't have Genophobia I would say I at least have a rather serious fear of intimacy that's anything more than a hug. I can get behind the idea of dating and all but the thought of the properly physical stuff makes me feel quite uncomfortable and worried.

And yeah, I felt really sorry for some of the people posting here with proper full blown phobias once I started reading the thread all the way through...

Isolation, blindness*, depths etc. Also, I can't close my eyes too long in the shower without seeing sharks and giant octopi

*and a slight fear of breaking my glasses and getting the shards in my eyes

! I don't even wear glasses but I think of that whenever characters on tv with glasses fall over. I kind of thought that was just me! (and perhaps it still is)

I don't look at their wrists. Mainly I mean the area just below the palm of the hand. I keep thinking it will just snap backwards and all the veins will come out. I often will have to ask people to rest their head on their hands in the other direction, but I do deal with it enough to not have a total meltdown.

...well now I'm frightened of wrists. I've never liked staring at mine, to be honest because I have a close relative who slit theirs, thankfully they were genuinely naive enough not to realise about the whole directional thing and they got better but yeah... I can kind of see where you're coming from with that actually. The skin's awfa thin over the inner wrist. It's like an accident waiting to happen or something.

Finally and on a slightly more humourous note: RELEVANT MUPPET SHOW LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpsbHic_jYY) (to the thread in general, not anyone's specific fears/phobias.

MoonCat
2011-03-19, 02:10 PM
...well now I'm frightened of wrists. I've never liked staring at mine, to be honest because I have a close relative who slit theirs, thankfully they were genuinely naive enough not to realise about the whole directional thing and they got better but yeah... I can kind of see where you're coming from with that actually. The skin's awfa thin over the inner wrist. It's like an accident waiting to happen or something.

I'm awfully sorry. I'm even more scared of wrists and veins than I am of adam's apples (I keep thinking that if a guy with a very prominent one looks up too high something will burst out of his worn thin throat), and I'd hate to pass it on to someone.

Traab
2011-03-19, 02:13 PM
I'm awfully sorry. I'm even more scared of wrists and veins than I am of adam's apples (I keep thinking that if a guy with a very prominent one looks up too high something will burst out of his worn thin throat), and I'd hate to pass it on to someone.

On a semi serious note, did you ever watch the movie aliens? Id imagine the chest burster scene would have freaked you out ten times worse than anyone else watching. Just the image of stuff actually bursting out of the body, along the lines of your fears about wrists and adams apples.

MoonCat
2011-03-19, 02:19 PM
On a semi serious note, did you ever watch the movie aliens? Id imagine the chest burster scene would have freaked you out ten times worse than anyone else watching. Just the image of stuff actually bursting out of the body, along the lines of your fears about wrists and adams apples.

Never seen it.

Traab
2011-03-19, 02:40 PM
Never seen it.

Probably for the best.

Teddy
2011-03-19, 06:23 PM
(I keep thinking that if a guy with a very prominent one looks up too high something will burst out of his worn thin throat)

Being a very slim guy with a prominent adam apple and a habit to sometimes when I'm relaxing in a chair, lean my head (and back too, because my neck is still not that bendable) completely backward so that I see everything perfectly upside down, I could probably freak you out pretty much. It won't help, but I can assure you that my throat hasn't bursted yet.

Dienekes
2011-03-19, 06:31 PM
I have been blessed with a distinct lack of the normal phobias. Bugs? They look cool. Spiders? I had a pet tarantula once. Heights? Bungee jumping is one of the most exhilarating things I've ever done. Even my death doesn't really bother me.

But losing my mind, or screwing with my brain, now that scares me. More so since every male on my mom's side seems to get Alzheimer's.

Remmirath
2011-03-19, 07:06 PM
I have a fair amount of fears, but only one that I think is actually a phobia.

Unfortunately, dogs are rather hard to avoid around here. I freak out if I see (or hear, when I'm out of doors) a dog, and I have a strong urge to run whenever they come near me. I feel constantly panicky if I have to be in a room with one. It's mostly only the real thing, although very realistic art or photographs make me feel slightly on edge.

I think the most annoying thing is that people frequently don't believe me until they see it. :smallannoyed:

Scarlet-Devil
2011-03-19, 07:27 PM
I have a bit of a thalassophobia, fear of the sea, though really most murky, natural bodies of water will do it, though not quite at a phobia level. The ocean is a ridiculously scary place; I've been bludgeoned, dragged, thrown helplessly around, and sucked under by powerful waves several times, and it's always been scary. It's not only that though, but the ocean is filled with alien and dastardly monsters (actually just innocent creatures trying to survive of course, but they're still bloody terrifying), like colossal/giant squid, mountainous, cthulhoid demons with hooks and suckers on their enormous prehensile tentacles, and jellyfish (man o' war for example) with their poisonous, translucent tendrils, reaching out invisibly through the ocean for sixty feet or more, and then there's sea anemones... just imagine putting your foot in one of those, or your hand. Try to picture yourself caught in a giant one, paralyzed by its toxins and dragged helplessly by dozens of tentacles into its "mouth".
http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/animal/a5/MKramer-anemoon4-Deep_Sea_Anemone-around_South_Africa.jpg

onthetown
2011-03-19, 07:42 PM
I have a fair amount of fears, but only one that I think is actually a phobia.

Unfortunately, dogs are rather hard to avoid around here. I freak out if I see (or hear, when I'm out of doors) a dog, and I have a strong urge to run whenever they come near me. I feel constantly panicky if I have to be in a room with one. It's mostly only the real thing, although very realistic art or photographs make me feel slightly on edge.

I think the most annoying thing is that people frequently don't believe me until they see it. :smallannoyed:

I used to be terrified of dogs, too. I've grown out of it (mostly from one dog that was out at the barn that I ended up gaining confidence around), but yeah. The fact that people won't believe you is the worst. Everybody automatically thinks that everybody else should love their dog, or, "How can you hate dogs?! They're soooo much better than !" It's even worse if you don't actually hate them, but are just genuinely scared of them. Then you have to explain the difference and how people can be scared of something but not necessarily hate it or hate yours, and... *sigh* Dogs are a touchy subject, I guess.

I have some more serious fears that I can't take so lightly as this, but... The one that would be silly?

Chickens.

I've been chased by one too many. They are vicious, evil creatures. In Ultima Online, I used to go out of my way to cast Lightning Bolt at every chicken I found. I once spent an entire hour hunting chickens in that game. If only I could cast spells in real life... Then the chickens would have proper fear and respect of me, instead of singling me out and trying to destroy me. :smalleek:

I wish I was joking. Seriously, every time I go to a place with chickens that are allowed to wander around, I can be standing with ten other people and they still just want [I]my blood.

Traab
2011-03-19, 08:05 PM
I used to be terrified of dogs, too. I've grown out of it (mostly from one dog that was out at the barn that I ended up gaining confidence around), but yeah. The fact that people won't believe you is the worst. Everybody automatically thinks that everybody else should love their dog, or, "How can you hate dogs?! They're soooo much better than !" It's even worse if you don't actually hate them, but are just genuinely scared of them. Then you have to explain the difference and how people can be scared of something but not necessarily hate it or hate yours, and... *sigh* Dogs are a touchy subject, I guess.

I have some more serious fears that I can't take so lightly as this, but... The one that would be silly?

Chickens.

I've been chased by one too many. They are vicious, evil creatures. In Ultima Online, I used to go out of my way to cast Lightning Bolt at every chicken I found. I once spent an entire hour hunting chickens in that game. If only I could cast spells in real life... Then the chickens would have proper fear and respect of me, instead of singling me out and trying to destroy me. :smalleek:

I wish I was joking. Seriously, every time I go to a place with chickens that are allowed to wander around, I can be standing with ten other people and they still just want [I]my blood.

Im not afraid of them but I agree, chickens are vicious evil nasty foul (fowl) creatures! They should all be deep fried and served for supper!

Perenelle
2011-03-19, 08:46 PM
I'm afraid of heights and deep lake/ocean/river water that I can't see the bottom of. Pools I'm okay with because the water is clear. But in the ocean I'm terrified of stepping on something or something rubbing against my legs or anything like that. A bit of seaweed brushed against my leg when I was about waist deep in the ocean one time, and I freaked out and sprinted back out of the water screaming. I'm also afraid of jellyfish, even though I think I've only seen one in the ocean twice. Now I rarely go past waist deep in ocean water.

I'm also terrified of needles. Not really the pain, just the needle itself. I can't even look at them when they go into skin, even in movies. I can't bring my cat to the vet for shots without turning my head when they pull out the needles. :smallsigh: I get dizzy.

Juggling Goth
2011-03-20, 11:56 AM
Agoraphobia. It's not exactly a fear of open spaces; it's a fear of being unable to escape from a situation in which a panic attack is likely to occur. Obviously it's self-perpetuating that way: the fear tends to cause the panic attacks, which provides more evidence for the fear in future. Fun times.

I never knew that was what it was called. I mean, I knew there was something wrong - I can kid myself with the best of them, but I never thought it was normal to be terrified of everything. But like everyone else, I thought agoraphobia meant open spaces. Then I read an actual description of it, and promptly burst into tears. In that "oh-thank-god-someone-has-finally-named-and-explained-this-thing" kind of way.

At the moment it's fairly well-controlled with fluoxetine, buspirone, and ruthlessly rationing my mental resources. It has severely affected my life in the past - I've not been a total shut-in, but I've missed large chunks of university and ended up dropping out of my MPhil - and it's not going to get magically cured any time soon, but for the time being things are okay.

On the plus side, I am absolutely fine with many of the standard phobias. I think snakes and bats are adorable (I have a pet corn snake), and needles don't bother me at all (I have nineteen piercings and two tattoos).

Castaras
2011-03-20, 01:11 PM
Agoraphobia. It's not exactly a fear of open spaces; it's a fear of being unable to escape from a situation in which a panic attack is likely to occur. Obviously it's self-perpetuating that way: the fear tends to cause the panic attacks, which provides more evidence for the fear in future. Fun times.

....That's exactly what I have. Except for me it's with injections and medical stuff. And fainting. O.O Thank you.

RTGoodman
2011-03-20, 01:21 PM
I don't have many major fears or phobias anymore. I hate having blood taken (but don't mind shots/injections) and I'm just plain freaked out by the idea of loosing fingers/arms/whatever, but it's not a crippling fear or anything.

The only other thing that I've ever been actually terrified of for a long period of time is velociraptors. I know it sounds silly, but my family took me to some animatronic dino exhibit when I was really little (like, 3 or 4) and the loud sounds really scared me. And then, of course, I saw "Jurassic Park" when I was about 7 or 8, and starting then I had nightmares about velociraptors chasing me down for about 8 years. I can kid about it now (especially because xkcd stole my fear), but I remember waking up all the time freaked out about them when I was growing up.

Arcanoi
2011-03-20, 01:40 PM
This might be kind of sad, but swans. I absolutely hate and cannot stand to be anywhere near swans. They freak the hell out of me. When I was six I was MAULED by a gorram swan and now I simply cannot stand them.

thubby
2011-03-20, 02:38 PM
spiders. if i can see them and keep track of them im usually ok. it's when i know there's a bunch like under the porch or something.

Juggling Goth
2011-03-20, 03:16 PM
....That's exactly what I have. Except for me it's with injections and medical stuff. And fainting. O.O Thank you.

It's a right bastard, where the panic begets more panic. I hate it with my everything. I've got a lot of mental health problems, but the agoraphobia's the one that absolutely infuriates me. The self-perpetuating nature of it makes me so angry. Whoever said the only thing to fear was fear itself never had a damn panic attack.

Much sympathy, and I hope things get easier for you.

Edit, changing the subject slightly: I always seem to get the job of catching bugs and putting them outside. A good friend of mine is terrified of spiders, and an ex was terrified of pretty much anything that scuttled or flew. And I have a strong aversion to dead bugs; it really upsets me when people kill them. Any fear I have of bugs is a fear of accidentally squashing them. So I'm generally the one with the glass and the bit of paper. And I always pick bees up and put them on flowers; I have no idea if it does them any good, but it seems kinder than leaving them on the pavement.

Sensate
2011-03-20, 04:14 PM
Come to think of it, I don't have any (coolio :smallsmile:). Probably a good thing seeing as how I've got my hands full with social anxiety.

OverdrivePrime
2011-03-20, 04:41 PM
I'm fortunate that I do not have any true fears or phobias. There are, however, a few things in the world that crank my danger sense up to 11:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Lose/mime.gif

Seriously mimes, why do you guys have to be so horrendously creepy? For me, mimes would probably be just a minor annoyance like clowns, except that when I was 4 a mime swiped my grapes and was doing goofy tricks with them - popping them in and out of his mouth and generally freaking the bejezus out of me. *shudder*

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Sci_Fan/ghost-of-carl-weathers.jpg

Ghosts. I don't know what it is about ghosts, but the idea of them raises my hackles like few other things. I only barely believe in ghosts, and I absolutely do not believe they can interact with the world of the living, but... cripes! Move on, stupid ghosts! Stop hanging out and haunting the rest of us!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Sci_Fan/christina-hendricks-firefly.jpg

No, not Christina Hendricks in particular, but beautiful redheaded women as whole. Long story + pain avoidance.

Hm. Handguns too. Specifically other people with handguns. I immediately start looking for ways to leave if someone, even a police officer, enters with a gun.

Thomas Duskwind
2011-03-20, 04:44 PM
Lets ee i dont like hights or bugs, specifically ones with stingers. I got stung near the eye by a bee

Incompleat
2011-03-20, 04:48 PM
I have no real phobias, as far as I know, but I have a somewhat strong and entirely irrational dislike of tattoos - piercings, too, although less so.

It's not that I will think badly of someone who is tattooed or pierced, it's just that... well, that ick.

That even counts for earrings, although to a lesser degree - I suppose that's because they are so common that I got used to them already.

grimbold
2011-03-21, 11:54 AM
i am afraid of spiders
they are evil