PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Thread Necromancy and posting new threads.

Inigo Montoya
2011-03-18, 01:10 AM
Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from "the dead." If a thread hasn't been posted in within the last six weeks, don't reply to it. Start a new topic, if you want to discuss the subject (you are welcome to link to the old thread). If you think it would be better to resurrect an old thread, PM a moderator for that subforum and wait for approval. The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the six-week threshold without prior Moderator approval.

How long must you wait to post a new topic? I'm asking because I'd like to make this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187272) topic again, but I'm not sure if enough time has passed.

Temotei
2011-03-18, 01:19 AM
If posting in the existing thread would be thread necromancy, I'm willing to bet it's okay to make a new thread. If it's iffy, just create a new thread linking to the old one and saying what you have to say.

Rockphed
2011-03-18, 02:03 AM
Unless there is some special rule for the finding players part of the forum, I think that thread you linked to isn't even technically dead yet. It was last posted in on 02-18-2011, which is a single month ago. 6 weeks is normally about 1.5 months, so you should still have a week or two before it dies.

Also, I think the rule is that if there is a thread less than 50 pages long and less than 6 weeks old on a subject, you should post in it. If you hit 50 pages, start a new version of the thread and the mods will be along shortly to lock the old one. If it is older than 6 weeks, feel free to start a new thread.

sonofzeal
2011-03-18, 07:27 AM
I have several old project threads, and occasionally get requests to revive them. It would be difficult to make a new one, as the old one contains a lot of information scattered in a lot of different posts. Given that I'm the original creator of the thread, and I've been requested by other posters to re-open it, would it still be considered Thread Necromancy?

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-18, 07:43 AM
I have several old project threads, and occasionally get requests to revive them. It would be difficult to make a new one, as the old one contains a lot of information scattered in a lot of different posts. Given that I'm the original creator of the thread, and I've been requested by other posters to re-open it, would it still be considered Thread Necromancy?

Yes, it would be. However, if you ask a moderator of the homebrew forum for permission, and if they grant it, you can still "revive" a thread, assuming you are going to post new information rather than just bump it.

At least, that was how we were told previously.

Rockphed
2011-03-18, 08:25 AM
The Rose Dragon, I hate to disagree with you, but

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from "the dead." If a thread hasn't been posted in within the last six weeks, don't reply to it. Start a new topic, if you want to discuss the subject (you are welcome to link to the old thread). If you think it would be better to resurrect an old thread, PM a moderator for that subforum and wait for approval. The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the six-week threshold without prior Moderator approval.

implies that if you have created a thread in the Homebrew forum you can revive the thread without prior approval. So sonofzeal could revive those threads if he so desired. Now I shall go trawling for the last time one of the mods mentioned such.

And after much searching, I can't seem to find any of the moderator comments on this rule since the rules change. The rule seems pretty straightforward, but I would feel better if I could find anything by Roland or Rawhide or The Giant that supported the rule outside of the rule itself.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-18, 08:28 AM
The Rose Dragon, I hate to disagree with you, but

Hey, it's cool. People do it all the time. :smalltongue:

And after much searching, I can't seem to find any of the moderator comments on this rule since the rules change. The rule seems pretty straightforward, but I would feel better if I could find anything by Roland or Rawhide or The Giant that supported the rule outside of the rule itself.

I seem to remember that rule being changed into a more universal version earlier, but I seem to be wrong. Maybe it was something that happened before the latest change.

The Giant
2011-03-18, 08:52 AM
Rockphed is right, the creator of a Homebrew thread can always revive their creation with more content or comments, as long as they don't just bump it for the sake of bumping it. That goes for the new World-Building forum, too.

Keld Denar
2011-03-18, 11:37 AM
So, if you were the creater of say...a guide or handbook, and it has since passed it's 6 week life span and someone necro'd it and it was locked, could you request it to be reopened so you could edit in new content? I mean, IIRC, Saph's Horizon Tripper thread is locked for necromancy. It gets referenced a lot still, though. If Saph wanted to add new content to the OP, could she request it be unlocked to make changes? Or request certain changes be edited in or something? Or would the proper procedure be to start a new thread, the Horizon Tripper v2.0, even though most of the content would be the same?

Roland St. Jude
2011-03-18, 09:31 PM
By the book, the right thing to do is to create a new thread. But if you want an exception to the thread necromancy rule, PM a moderator for that section of the board and ask for one.

Saph
2011-03-19, 03:58 AM
Hm. Thanks for the info, Roland. I'll do that when I get around to updating it.

Inigo Montoya
2011-03-22, 03:36 PM
Unless there is some special rule for the finding players part of the forum, I think that thread you linked to isn't even technically dead yet. It was last posted in on 02-18-2011, which is a single month ago. 6 weeks is normally about 1.5 months, so you should still have a week or two before it dies.

Also, I think the rule is that if there is a thread less than 50 pages long and less than 6 weeks old on a subject, you should post in it. If you hit 50 pages, start a new version of the thread and the mods will be along shortly to lock the old one. If it is older than 6 weeks, feel free to start a new thread.

Thanks Rockphed. I guess I have to wait a little bit longer.