PDA

View Full Version : Comic Relief 2011 breaks it's fund-raising record!

Aotrs Commander
2011-03-19, 11:04 AM
(For once, given the subject matter, I shall uncharacteristically be totally and honestly serious. Well...ish...)

A cheerful bit of news, for a change, especially after the recent disasters and such going on in the world. Comic Relief has been a record-breaking, runaway success this year.

For those of you outside of the UK not familiar with the event, Comic Relief is a bi-annual event over here, which has been going on for about twenty years, raising funds for charities that help all kinds of people, in the UK and especially in places like Africa, who often live in utterly horrific conditions.

After several weeks of loads, and loads of people, from schools to supermarkets, doing a lot of very silly things for money, the main event itself cuminates in a seven-hour or so broadcast, which many, many, famous people, especially comedians, volenteer their time and effort making sketches music and general entertainment. (And it is always comedy gold, it really is.) Highlights of 2011 were the special mini-episode of Doctor Who, the Upstairs Downstairs spoof and Smithy (of Gavin and Stacey fame) helping out Comic Relief in a literally star-studded sketch that was easily the funniest part of the night.

Mixed in with this hilarity are reports showing what the money from previous years is going towards, and the plights of those still desparately in need, and how the money can make such a difference to people's lives. (Some of these short films can be especially harrowing. I think the worst yesterday was a doctor in Africa who had four dying babies that required oxygen - and only enough resources for three. How do - or could - you make that kind of decision?)

Given the current economic crisis this time around, no-one had high expectations this time around. However, despite the financial conditions, the British public have rallied around and Comic Relief 2011 raised has raised a record breaking 74 million! And that won't even be the final total, that's just the total at the end of the night.

(For reference, in 2009, they raised 57 million by the end of the night and 80 million overall; considering previous years total as well, I wouldn't be suprised if all-in, there's another 20 million or so to trickle in (or at least, being optimistic for once, it would be nice to hope so, or even better, break the 100 million mark!))

Considering how shockingly little it costs to make a difference (as little as a fiver can mean the difference between life and death to the most poverty stricken people; a mosquito net or several energancy malaria diagnosis kits, for example), that is absolutely fantastic. Good job, us in the UK; (for once!) I think we can be proud of ourselves.

(And if you haven't donated yet, my fellow Britains (or anyone else with a generous heart and pocket), what are you waiting for? Let's see if we can break that 100 million mark!)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Lawful Evil Lich-based cyninal, starship based megalomania.

Volthawk
2011-03-19, 08:15 PM
Yeah, it was brilliant. It also had this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c9J8SvW9EA), which is pretty cool (at least, when I saw it, I just went 'wait, what?').