PDA

View Full Version : Characters and ideas you've wanted to use but never got the chance to.

Shpadoinkle
2011-03-20, 02:14 AM
Either as a DM or a player. The next two paragraphs refer to 3.5e, for the record.

As a DM, I've wanted to make a small squadron of level 1 warforged warlocks with the Eldtrich Spear invocation, stationed in a small area like a mountain pass where they basically serve as an early warning system/first strike team against hostile forces. The blasts fire from their eyes a la Superman's laser vision. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a game in my area since I came up with the idea.

I've also wanted to run a wuxia style game inspired partially by the Dynasty Warriors series. Making heavy use of ToB for NPCs and refluffing warlocks and dragonfire adepts as students of more explicitly magical schools of martial arts. Which isn't to say it would be all combat- there would be a fair amount of politics going on, affected by the PCs actions (how much they got involved would be up to them.) It would, more or less, be set in the Three Kingdoms era, though not explicitly in China (if that makes any sense.)

I've also been kind of itching to run a campaign based on Kamen Rider lately, but I haven't put a lot of thought into plots or anything.

dsmiles
2011-03-20, 06:25 AM
A Maug Stone Dragon Warblade.

I think it's got some potential for roleplaying greatness.

OverdrivePrime
2011-03-20, 09:07 AM
This is super un-optimized, perhaps on purpose because the crew I roll with tends to be more impressed by blaster wizards and tank clerics. One of the women we play with always plays a DPS sorcerer/rogue, and the other is always a bard. They tend to go more on flavor, try to make strong choices, but generally aren't interested in my pontification about battlefield control and all that.

So, rather than dominate the game and annoy everyone, I tend to hold my characters back somewhat so everyone can get a turn in the limelight. But sometimes that can get a little painful, when my Jade Phoenix Mage is intentionally using all his lower-level abilities just so that the cleric and wizard can feel cool too.

Anyway, I haven't gotten a chance to play this guy yet, but I really like the feel and flavor of a monk/archer. Mostly because of the background.
Unfortunate kid is the only survivor of a caravan raid by an ogre tribe. Lost and alone in the forest, he's helped along by the fair folk, and a few kindly awakened animals. He learns about tracking, and forest survival, and even finds the bow and arrows of a deceased halfling ranger. With help from faeries, he gets along pretty well, but longs for the company of others.

Fortuitously, a pilgrimage of monks travels through the forest and finds the boy. Intrigued by the quiet, contemplative humans, the boy follows them, and is taken in by the kindly monks. For seven years he trains in the monastery, learning the way of structure and discipline. Eventually he leaves the monastery, with his personal mission being to protect travelers within the forest and to protect the forest from travelers.

These days, I suppose I could go ranger/unarmed swordsage instead of monk, and maybe grab that web resource for the Archery martial adept path, but the original build was intended to be Ranger 2 / Monk 4 / Ranger x, with Brachination and Point Blank Shot as his first feats. Definitely tier 4 or worse (maybe verging on tier 3 with unarmed swordsage), but I guarantee I would have fun making him keep up with the under-utilized characters the rest of my group usually roll. :smallwink:

averagejoe
2011-03-20, 04:54 PM
I've also been kind of itching to run a campaign based on Kamen Rider lately, but I haven't put a lot of thought into plots or anything.

Along those lines, I've always kind of wanted to play a power ranger (or, rather, a guy who teleports armor onto himself and gets cool fantasy weapons) in some sort of superhero-based game. Kind of a power rangers mixed with green lantern concept.

ShadowFighter15
2011-03-20, 06:01 PM
A half-dragon swashbuckler. Everyone always sees half-dragons as either the big, dumb fighter or a spellcaster, why not something that needs a bit more finesse?

It's not bad from a mechanical standpoint either, apart from the LA. Assuming his other half is human and you're using point-buy, that's 16 Strength you're starting with. Even before he gets that class feature for adding his Int mod to damage, he's still going to be dishing out the hurt.

Then if you make him a silver half-dragon, there's all the fun you could have with your breath weapon and a fight in the rain. :smallamused:

Xanmyral
2011-03-20, 06:14 PM
I've put some serious thought into playing a beardless wizard dwarf. The idea just intrigues me, as it begs to question a lot of things. Why is the dwarf a wizard, where is his beard, and why doesn't he talk about his clan? It may not be very strong when compared to a more optimized wizard, but it sounds much more interesting to me than the cut and paste power hungry optimized wizard. Be a lot hardier than other wizards though.

togapika
2011-03-20, 06:27 PM
Klaus the warforged warlock who may or may not be a gnome in a powersuit

dsmiles
2011-03-20, 06:35 PM
Klaus the warforged warlock who may or may not be a gnome in a powersuitI'd so allow that. That's an awesome concept.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-20, 06:46 PM
A Malkavian whose derangement was severe depression and hemophobia.

Tono
2011-03-20, 07:46 PM
I've had a paladin based on the Old Spice commercials for a bit. Was always half done though, never stood a chance to see the light of day.
I also saw on this board a while ago an idea that I loved. Someone proposed using a warlock and a Hat of Alterself(or somesuch) and being a superhero. If I ever can b allowed to work this in, I am so doing it.

Shade Kerrin
2011-03-20, 09:36 PM
I shouldn't have this problem, I'm in a game-heavy area and keep a checklist for my characters and how often they've been played(as well as personal satisfaction with each count).

Unfortunately, some characters have a nasty habit of being made just before the end of the game, or dying before they can actually do anything.
Poor little bastard-sword wielding dervish....

Elvenoutrider
2011-03-20, 10:57 PM
a platemail wearing don quioxt style knight in the modern world

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-20, 11:07 PM
A Malkavian whose derangement was severe depression and hemophobia.

The first part sounds like being a Vampire to begin with.

My idea though is a Beholder Monk.

absolmorph
2011-03-20, 11:31 PM
A man who wanders the earth searching for stories to tell and opponents to beat the crap out of.
Bard 4/Warblade 16. Simple, interesting and effective.

No brains
2011-03-20, 11:47 PM
Oh boy, what haven't I dreamed up...

My best idea might have been the 'smart paladin'. Rather than being dogmatic and dumb, the paladin would have an open interpretation of faith and look out for 'heretics' who advanced scientific ideas. Their story would be that god is not beholden to make sense to mortals and that people who have differing points of view about the world are not bad. They also believed that all roads led to god anyway, so people can go ahead and try different means of discovery, but its all going to end up as what was written in the texts all along...

Plus, they could outsmart their warhorse! How many paladins can do THAT?

Cool points to beholder monk and lazer beam warfors.

togapika
2011-03-21, 12:33 AM
Bearded Devil who ups his beard damage as much as possible...

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-03-21, 02:58 AM
A character that was experimented on and now possesses a Soul-Eater parasite from the 3rd party symbiotes book. Traveling around doing good but at the end of the day eats part of someones soul to survive.

Bobmufin52
2011-03-21, 03:27 AM
I always wanted to do a count of Monte Cristo-esque swashbuckler guy, possibly with the mountebank PrC for the alter ego ability…

Alleine
2011-03-21, 04:01 AM
I have a mildly deranged Fleshwarper I want to play. He's obsessed with improving the human race by taking on all sorts of grafts to everyone he possibly can and doing crazy experiments. What's not to like about a character who was born with the dregs of humanity and plans on rearranging everyone's limbs on the way to a better tomorrow? Hopefully he'd also have the luxury of a crazy laboratory filled with bottles, vials, growing things, tanks filled with blood and bits of creatures... *sigh* I just haven't had the chance yet. Our games usually don't last long enough, but if I start GMing sometime soon, he's totally going to be an NPC.

And then there's my Superhero character who I want to play almost as badly. The BOLT OF JUSTICE! *cue lightning flash*
He's a sorc with a lightning fetish who believes he's a superhero in a world full of people who can cast exactly the same spells he can. Eventually I'd get him a lightning themed super suit and a Tempestan(ComPsi) sidekick who flies around town with him zapping 'evildoers'. His sense of justice would be very, very off balance. But thanks to that charming smile of his he can get away with it! Maybe!

Smokin Red
2011-03-21, 04:26 AM
I once created a char I'd really loved to play, but it never happened :smallfrown:

It is an albino orc, kidnapped as an infant and brought to a slavers nation as a curiosity. He then was trained as a gladiator, before being liberated by a priestess of the resident goddess of rebirth. After traveling with her for a while, he was getting really pacifistic and vegetarian. He just fights defensively, with a staff mostly, lots of tripping, disarming a.s.o.
As he don't really know about orcish 'culture' he imagines them as noble savages. Biggest problem is, that his restarint can flip the other way, sometimes he goes berserk, and hates it.

(No D&D, it's 'The Dark Eye'-system, mostly played in Germany (Europe?))

Count D20
2011-03-21, 12:50 PM
I have a mildly deranged Fleshwarper I want to play. He's obsessed with improving the human race by taking on all sorts of grafts to everyone he possibly can and doing crazy experiments. What's not to like about a character who was born with the dregs of humanity and plans on rearranging everyone's limbs on the way to a better tomorrow? Hopefully he'd also have the luxury of a crazy laboratory filled with bottles, vials, growing things, tanks filled with blood and bits of creatures... *sigh* I just haven't had the chance yet. Our games usually don't last long enough, but if I start GMing sometime soon, he's totally going to be an NPC.\!

Rather like the Fran Madaraki from Franken Fran. She's a mad scientist created by a mad scientist and a master surgeon ,biochemist and many other medicine related fields.
She often saves peoples lives regardless of how little of them is left, caring more about something being alive more than the quality of life.

Stallion
2011-03-21, 02:31 PM
A druid/sentinel of bharri. A bear riding a bear shooting bears and accompanied by a cavalry of bears serving a diety of bears.

Arillius
2011-03-21, 04:10 PM
A friend of my is running a sci-fi campaign where the races are based of animals and one of the races is a bunch of rabbits. I thought it would be awesome to play a bionic monk rabbit (the bionic part replacing the supernatural martial arts for flavor). In fact I still might be able to if my paladin (lion in a power suit) doesn't make it back to our ship before night fall).

Also wanted to play a goblin sorcerer with the arcane domain. He was the shaman of the town and his feather totem staff thing was his foci. He's completely lacking in social graces or common sense. And hes a show boat.

And then there was a halfling Oracle of the Heavens mystery was it? Blind domain. One of the Dm's I know has a god that no one is completely sure is sentient in the way the others are and is powerful enough to cut the world off from divination. The only reason they believe it to be a god is because when clerics pray to it they get powers. Oracle halfling gets the floating revelation and after that his feet never touch the ground again.

Magic Myrmidon
2011-03-21, 05:17 PM
I've always liked the power and versatility of the druid, but I really don't like most things based on nature. So I decided to work around that somehow. The thing I came up with was a guy who DESPISES nature. Thinks the world would be better off made of steel or something. A nature god notices this, and figures the best way to stop this behavior is to use a bunch of power to help him out whenever he needs it. So a bunch of overgrowth, lightning, and other such things would be taking place, and the guy would have no clue why. He'd also hate the fact that his bad luck has this happen to him. He'd probably catch on when he gets wildshaped, though.

No brains
2011-03-21, 05:22 PM
A druid/sentinel of bharri. A bear riding a bear shooting bears and accompanied by a cavalry of bears serving a diety of bears.

Throw in some levels of barbarian and bear warrior. Now you have your bear who while being a bear rages to the point where he turns into a bear.

I swordsaged that from somewhere, but I can't remember who said it or in what context...

aquaticrna
2011-03-21, 05:54 PM
I've always wanted to make a rogue that puts all his money into various partly filled wands and scrolls and such and runs around in a big flowing robe in order to convince everyone that he's a wizard (party included) so it would be a bunch of slight of hand and UMD with hidden wands to trick everyone into thinking he's casting spells. It would be fun to see how long i could keep it up before people started catching on =P

dsmiles
2011-03-21, 06:03 PM
I've always wanted to make a rogue that puts all his money into various partly filled wands and scrolls and such and runs around in a big flowing robe in order to convince everyone that he's a wizard (party included) so it would be a bunch of slight of hand and UMD with hidden wands to trick everyone into thinking he's casting spells. It would be fun to see how long i could keep it up before people started catching on =P
I managed it for about 5 levels. :smalltongue:

World Eater
2011-03-21, 06:27 PM
A very old(pre-beta or beta), confused Robot(or Warforged) who's only recently activated. Despite being incredibly clunky, rusted, and with the occasional part falling off, he's completely convinced he's a StealthBot assassin. Every so often he switches (sometimes literal)gears and will be completely convinced he's a HealBot, TankBot, or whatever other role. He was initially built during testing and development of a bot who could do all kinds of tasks and functions incredibly well so that the SuperBot could be put into production and take over the world. It failed terribly, and this bot turns out to be a terrible jack-of-every-conceivable-trade-ever, except for [undecided] which is the only thing he can do amazingly well, or half well at all.

dsmiles
2011-03-21, 06:29 PM
A very old(pre-beta or beta), confused Robot(or Warforged) who's only recently activated. Despite being incredibly clunky, rusted, and with the occasional part falling off, he's completely convinced he's a StealthBot assassin. Every so often he switches (sometimes literal)gears and will be completely convinced he's a HealBot, TankBot, or whatever other role. He was initially built during testing and development of a bot who could do all kinds of tasks and functions incredibly well so that the SuperBot could be put into production and take over the world. It failed terribly, and this bot turns out to be a terrible jack-of-every-conceivable-trade-ever, except for [undecided] which is the only thing he can do amazingly well, or half well at all.Maybe a JukeBot? (Warforged Bard)

Stallion
2011-03-21, 08:18 PM
Throw in some levels of barbarian and bear warrior. Now you have your bear who while being a bear rages to the point where he turns into a bear.

I swordsaged that from somewhere, but I can't remember who said it or in what context...

It was some thread about how to make your mount rage... but yes. With an awakened bear with levels in the same riding another bear.

Beowulf DW
2011-03-21, 09:36 PM
I have no idea how I could make this work, but I've always dreamed of making an old, intelligence-based fighter/warblade/whatever, who had survived numerous battles and used his wits and strategy to succeed where youth and strength might fail.

Crossblade
2011-03-22, 02:02 AM
A blind, two weapon fighter that doesn't wear heavy or medium armor and that isn't useless due to being bogged down with feats to compensate for the penalties.

Winged DragonWraught Kobold Barbarian.

A child LBEG for the solo campaign that's on hiatus that I DM for my girlfriend. I'd be curious how she handles the situation. Game was being converted to PF, so I can just throw the Young template on the character.

A low str barbarian. I figure the str boost while raging will compensate. Not sure where the extra stat points would go into though, but could be interesting to have a more cunning and smart skinny barbarian.

A mute bard. Perform(Mime) would be its key skill. Casting would have to be Silenced though. If only bards got Force Cage, he could then mimic his victims.

Does it count if I want someone else to play a rogue that is Lawful and/or Good? Instead of chaotic neutral, evil and/or stupid?

Bow wielding cleric. I know it's possible with Zen Archery, I just have never played it. Or possibly just focus stats on Dex/Wis for a light armor wearing bow cleric (yes not smart in 3.5 but likely decent in 3.PF)

A non-useless Gish character (multiclassed, nothing like a bard or PF's Magus) Monk/Wizard? Rogue/Sorc? Rogue/Cleric? Standard Fighter/Wizard or Sorc? Barbarian/Wizard? Barb/Cleric? Not sure.

libermortis
2011-03-22, 02:23 AM
a warforge who realy wants to fit in so he makes a rubber sute so he can look like a human, (properly a fat man/woman) using sand shaper.

a necromancer who killed his wife by accident, thenn reanimated her as a zombie making sure she dident rot, to make his daughter belive her mothers still alive.

a halfling wizard, eats alot sleeps alot.

Makiru
2011-03-22, 02:34 AM
3.5/PF

VoP troll/crusader with Detach feat to beat evil to death with his own arm, then donate it to the homeless as food. People are convinced this is broken somehow.

Kaorti Telepath/Fiend of Possession who spends his time buffing ally's weapon with his presence, debuffing enemies' weapons with his presence, outright controlling enemies, or just possessing a section of wall and punching guys. People are convinced this is broken, cause it kinda is.

Gnome Alchemist who plays like a snake-oil peddler.

Strength-based sorcerer (using Lost Tradition or normal) that uses all touch spells or punching spells.

4e

Drow Executioner who's mission in life is to eat one of every creature.

Warforged Thunderborn Barbarian/Bard hybrid based on Mic Sounders XIII.

A vampire (race does not matter), just to expand on the ever-increasing bloodline started by one of my other friends.

Elf Ranger played like Naked Snake (MGS3)

Punk-rock duegar hexblade

Shpadoinkle
2011-03-22, 02:43 AM
There's another character I came up with a long time ago that I haven't thought about in ages... Basically a human with some dwarf ancestry, but he's fairly tall despite that (the ancestry might not be true, though.)

Anyway, basically he's super strong and incredibly durable, but not especially fast. His entire motivation for adventuring is to test his strength, and discover if there's an upper limit to it. He hates politics but is incredibly dedicated to his friends. Mechanically he'd probably be best represented as a fighter2/warblade X focusing mostly in Stone Dragon maneuvers.

Serenity
2011-03-22, 07:17 PM
For the longest time, I have wanted to run a paladin-type who is atoning for past sins as a tyrannical villain. One of the problems with that, of course, is explaining why he no longer has the power of a BBEG...saying his skills have atrophied from disuse only goes so far.

No brains
2011-03-22, 07:57 PM
For the longest time, I have wanted to run a paladin-type who is atoning for past sins as a tyrannical villain. One of the problems with that, of course, is explaining why he no longer has the power of a BBEG...saying his skills have atrophied from disuse only goes so far.

A wight got the got the best of him and ate most of his levels. Never trust wighty.

kieza
2011-03-22, 08:09 PM
I have a character I once statted but never used...the introductory paragraph would have gone something like this:

As you enter the tavern, you see a veritable mountain of a man at the back corner. He must stand at least seven feet tall, and he looks to weigh at least 300 pounds in pure muscle. He wears plate armor which covers everything but a bushy black beard that reaches to his chest. There is a broad shield slung over his back, and he is liberally festooned with weapons: the hilt of a two-handed sword protrudes over one shoulder, and a massive hammer hangs from one side of his belt. At the other side are a pair of axes thrust through his belt, and you can see a knife stuck into one boot. This assortment of cutlery is topped off by an oversized crossbow and its quiver strapped to one thigh.

As you recover from the initial shock, you note that this giant is reading, with all outward signs of enjoyment, a heavy tome entitled "Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals."

His background was that he started off as a philosophy student, and after receiving the equivalent of a Ph.D., realized that all his studies told him that there was evil in the world, and that those capable of dealing with it had an obligation to do so. Being, as previously mentioned, seven feet tall and heavily muscled (and possessed of a very straightforward worldview), he obviously qualified. Plus, it paid better than philosophy. So he went out, joined the army, learned to fight, got an honorable discharge, and has been fighting evil ever since...in the most straightforward way possible, which is to find evil, kick in the door, and kill anything that moves. And between door-kicking, he puts on his good clothes, combs his beard, and goes to public debates in the local forum.

NecroRick
2011-03-23, 09:49 AM
I've put some serious thought into playing a beardless wizard dwarf. The idea just intrigues me, as it begs to question a lot of things. Why is the dwarf a wizard, where is his beard, and why doesn't he talk about his clan? It may not be very strong when compared to a more optimized wizard, but it sounds much more interesting to me than the cut and paste power hungry optimized wizard. Be a lot hardier than other wizards though.

Reminds me of the Star Trek Klingons, they don't talk about why they look so different between TOS and TNG.

The character concept I always wanted to play in D&D but couldn't is a defensive monk rather than an offensive monk. The problem is that D&D tends to make them incredibly powerful (but frail) killing machines. Whereas in all the cool martial arts movies the whole point of the monk isn't that he runs around beheading people with his eyelashes and ripping out the still beating hearts of dragons in the first round of combat.... the cool thing is that a trained warrior can go up against lots of other opponents and block or dodge their attacks all day long.

I wanted a monk who could, by golly, take a beating and still keep going, I wanted to be able to block all the low level mook attacks. You can take your 14 attacks per round each doing d100 damage and shove them, I'd trade them all for a really good AC.

In essence, a proper soft martial artist rather than a hard martial artist (if you understand the difference).

And hey, at higher levels a bit of the wuxia running up walls and (eventually) through the tops of the trees in the bamboo forest wouldn't hurt either. In essence a defensive character/tank that is really good at movement.

I understand why they never did this, it would be too easy for someone who "doesn't get it" to take the defensive char and load up on wands of fireballs etc. There is such a quantity of and emphasis on offensive magic items that they can't ever allow a properly defensive build.

NecroRick
2011-03-23, 09:52 AM
A wight got the got the best of him and ate most of his levels. Never trust wighty.

Or reincarnation?

aquaticrna
2011-03-23, 01:38 PM

you could have it so that he got all his dark power from some evil extra planar source, and upon changing his ways all that power was striped from him because he no longer fought for the evil power's goals.

randomhero00
2011-03-23, 01:42 PM
1 A cross dresser, in secret. Just to see how long I can fool the party. I'd of course be an elf, and make disguise checks.

2 Someone full and out evil.

3 lots of OP builds Ive heard of but never used.

Shyftir
2011-03-23, 02:07 PM
NecroRick... Monks who focus on defense aren't that strange. You just put your best scores into dex & wis, wear bracers of armor, and use a quarterstaff with defending on both ends.

I've seen ridiculously tanky monks.

----

I have a fighter/warmage dual wand wielder/wandstriker build I want to try.

Also a Githzerai Monk/Ranger, not because it's powerful just fun and varied.

I also came up with a duskblade/arcane archer. I named him Tarok Lizard-Slayer.

faceroll
2011-03-24, 03:55 AM
A dumb as bricks monstrous barbarian that was really, really good at breaking stuff, and had a totally outrageous strength score.

Notreallyhere77
2011-03-24, 12:47 PM

I played this. The reason he didn't talk to his clan was related to his beardlessness. He did something shameful and they shaved him and exiled him for it.

And yes, he was hardy. 18 Con, d6 hit die (PF game). I know I said wizards can't tank very well in another thread, but this guy could take some bruising.

Didn't get all the spells he wanted, though. For some reason, at my table, if you want a character that consistently has WBL, you need to A) be the DM's wife, or B) get your characters killed and replaced as often as possible.

I went with B by default.

Notreallyhere77
2011-03-24, 12:51 PM

Hellbred. Fiendish codex 2. This is exactly what you're looking for, fluff and crunch.
The hellbred are souls of evil people who repented too late to avoid hell, but early enough to show potential for good. They are returned to life in hideous, broken bodies, and must prove themselves before they die, or be returned to hell forever.

BiblioRook
2011-03-24, 07:16 PM
A Beguiler (http://132.209.40.23/w4/campagne/images/WotC_Art_Galleries/Shining_South/Beguiler%203%20by%20Christopher%20Rush.jpg) beguiler
Just so cute and hilarious, it just has to be done.

Also, despite never playing martial characters I've always kinda wanted to play something like a blind melee type with Blindsight.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2011-03-24, 09:12 PM
One idea for a campaign that I've always wanted to run was actually inspired by the Flogging Molly songs "The Kilburn High Road" and "Rebels of the Sacred Heart." I want to run an all-bard campaign set in a bardic city-state ruled by the Kings of the Kilburn High (a band) who are being challenged by a new up-and-coming band, the Rebels of the Sacred Heart. The PCs are another band who travel to this city to make their fortunes and must pick a side and defend it against the other. I actually did a writeup of the compositions of the two bands, but never actually got to run it.

Kylarra
2011-03-24, 10:15 PM
I've always wanted to play either a Swiftblade or a Swiftwing character. Either of those two PrCs. Also a straight 1-20 DFA.

Or a Shaman in SlayersD20

Or an ewok Jedi in Saga

Or a Jedi at all in D6 Star Wars...

Or a magical girl-esque character in Mage The Awakening

Or an artificer in Exalted

A. Smith
2011-03-24, 11:01 PM
I had several concepts for NPCs in a game I was to DM that never happened, and I thought two of them in particular could prove interesting to play...

First, there was this halfling paladin (of Iomedai, Pelor, or similar) who comes from a nomadic desert tribe in which it is the norm for fighter-types to have divine magic, as they are constantly being attacked by the various undead that roam there. Given they live there, they would also be the unwitting safeguard for the rest of the world, as their wanderings thinned the heard and kept them in check.

She would have worn traditional Tuareg garb over heavy armor, and her mount would have been a camel.

The second is a Half-Orc ranger that's very educated, and views his minor spellcraft as merely aspect of his knowledge; he's also a technophile, using firearms and loving technological gadgets. He would have been soft-spoken and generally kind, but get perhaps too enthusiastic while fighting.

dsmiles
2011-03-25, 04:52 AM
Or a Shaman in SlayersD20
Probably the most under-rated caster class in the setting. Although, getting up and shouting, "RA TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLT!!!!" is nowhere near as fun as casting the Dragon Slave...:smallwink:

Shpadoinkle
2011-03-25, 05:58 AM
Another one I came up a while ago and just remembered; a kobold dragonfire adept. Less subtle and more direct (and more foolhardy) than other kobolds, he wants the world to acknowledge his kind and bring them into "real" civilization, instead of huddling in warrens and stealing from the other races. Whether he'd be good, trying to prove himself worthy and convince other races through his deeds that his kind is worthwhile, or evil, trying to bring this about by force (or some combination of the two) I haven't settled on yet.

I really ought to write these down somewhere (besides here.)

Dr.Epic
2011-03-26, 03:07 AM
I have an idea for a build for Wolverine I kind of want to try out. Also, since I recently got into Avatar, I want to play Zuko. I have a rough idea for the latter that involves a variant spontaneous caster cleric with the fire domain. I'm still working on it. Do the duel swords he wields exist in D&D or would I have to homebrew them?

toysailor
2011-03-26, 07:57 AM
I've also wanted to run a wuxia style game inspired partially by the Dynasty Warriors series. Making heavy use of ToB for NPCs and refluffing warlocks and dragonfire adepts as students of more explicitly magical schools of martial arts. Which isn't to say it would be all combat- there would be a fair amount of politics going on, affected by the PCs actions (how much they got involved would be up to them.) It would, more or less, be set in the Three Kingdoms era, though not explicitly in China (if that makes any sense.)

I'm actually playing in a game like that now every week =D

Jay R
2011-03-26, 10:04 AM
Several of us were sharing the DMing duties on an OD&D world, and I had invented the legend of the ancient, lost dwarf kingdom of Shathur-Dum. They had found the mountain, and when they got back around to me, they were going to try to take it back.

It had been lost a thousand years ago, and every fifty to one hundred years, another dwarf army has tried to re-take it. They are never heard from again. In fact, a group has just gone in while the PCs are involved on another quest, so when they get back to that area, no dwarves will join them. (All the adventurous ones went two years ago.)

The encounter I was most looking forward to would involve them going down a long hallway that suddenly opens out into a great hall. There they are in the dark, when the door slams behind them (unopenable -- a boulder was teleported behind it.) Then they are attacked by a rain of arrows from the darkness. Upwards of 500 archers who can't be seen are attacking them. (The party had enough humans that it needed lanterns. They can't see more than 60 feet, but they are in the middle of the only light in the chamber.) They certainly have any number of options, but they will quickly notice that the arrows are all dwarf-make.

If they manage to get light on the attackers, they will see hundreds of fully-armored dwarves shooting at them. The party is there in support of a potential dwarf-king -- what should they do?

The kicker is that the place is held by a high level evil high priest. They aren't facing dwarves, but zombies. They are deliberately out of range of undead-turning or Detect Evil. I wondered how long the PCs would try to talk the "dwarves" into stopping the attack.

Deity
2011-03-26, 10:11 AM
I have an idea for a build for Wolverine I kind of want to try out. Also, since I recently got into Avatar, I want to play Zuko. I have a rough idea for the latter that involves a variant spontaneous caster cleric with the fire domain. I'm still working on it. Do the duel swords he wields exist in D&D or would I have to homebrew them?

What Zuko wields is a set of double Dao (chinese broadswords) which as far as I know are not offically statted anywhere, but I would stat as identical to scimitars, and refluff.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-26, 02:25 PM
What Zuko wields is a set of double Dao (chinese broadswords) which as far as I know are not offically statted anywhere, but I would stat as identical to scimitars, and refluff.

Scimitars are onehanded and would be a pain to use in each hand. I was thinking short swords as the penalty would only be -2 with TWF. Also, what about if using them both in one hand.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-26, 02:37 PM
Scimitars are onehanded and would be a pain to use in each hand. I was thinking short swords as the penalty would only be -2 with TWF. Also, what about if using them both in one hand.

Take a level in Dervish, so you can use them as light weapons.

Baalthazaq
2011-03-26, 02:48 PM
Everything in my signature.

Admiral Squish
2011-03-26, 02:55 PM
Oh, lord, the ideas...

Halfling paladin of freedom. Special mount is either a brixashulty or a giant turtle. Very laid back, and always smoking a pipe. He's evasive about what's actually in the pipe, but keeps offering people hits of it.

Ahm N'ahm N'ahm, a lizardfolk barbarian who eats people. Like, that's his thing. It's a tribal thing, where eating your fallen foes grants you their strength, or something along those lines.

Gauntlet, a special forces warforged warlock//Rogue/Assassin. Invocations are all flavored as hidden gadgetry.

Gulo, were-dire wolverine. Bandit lord of the north, he rules his men with an iron fist and a terrible, terrible fury. Got nicknamed 'the glutton' for eating the former boss and eating all the challengers to his title since.

Maekrix Tuor Okarthel. Half-Gold dragon troll crusader. Champion of the dragonblooded, his name means 'king who leads us home'. He's attempting to mount a campaign to establish a draconic nation.

IthroZada
2011-03-26, 03:23 PM
I generally like to play gestalt, so that's what these will be.

Warforged Artificer||Warblade. A sort of warrior smith. His main motivation is to prove that Warforged are children of Eberron and Khyber, and to eventually get hold of a creation forge. Since Dragons are the only children of Eberron and Khyber, I would consider getting him a refluffed Dragonborn of Eberron instead of Bahamut template. Sort of a physical sign that he is right. Lastly, he would be going after the Wyrmforge in some random 4e adventure that would have to be refluffed, to create a Warforged Dragonflight, for the express interest of protecting the interests of the race. Which is likely to make the Dragons already present in Eberron rather unhappy.

A Hellbred Warlock||Unarmed Swordsage. The warlock powers would be a direct result of his being Hellbred, and he would get both Eldrtich Claws and Beast Strike to fight. Instead of the usual, but not always, Lawful Good of Hellbred, he would be Chaotic Good and somewhat savage. Risking his life to save children, yes. Gleefully killing everyone in his way and having swarms of spiders erupt from their bodies while the eye he ripped out of his head scouts ahead with its creepy spider legs, yes. And being a Hellbred, his motivation is rather simple. Save the world, save his soul.

And a Shifter Druid||Totemist. Pretty much heavily in tune with magical beasts. Taking the Totem feats from the ECS, Share Soulmeld to buff his animal companion, Azure Wildshape. And of course Magical Beast Wildshape, I think that's in the ELH. The main appeal to him is the ability to turn into a flying bear that spits acid and mauls you with girallon arms while it stings you with its scorpion tail.

TheThan
2011-03-26, 03:34 PM
Characters I’ve never gotten to play? I’ve got a whole adventuring party.

Half farspawn human psychic warrior
That’s right, a human that turns into a tentacle monster.

Mermaid wizard/bonded summoned
A mermaid caster that lives inside a gigantic ball of water, that also happens to be her familiar.

Chaotic good Drow bard/bladesinger
She’s a Priestess of Eilistraee, which actually fits much better than a standard cleric.

Warforged druid (shapechange variant) battle droid
A shapeshifting battle droid with various combat modes: Predator form (hunter mode), aerial form (flight mode), ferocious slayer form (main battle mode), forest avenger form (dreadnought form).
The droid also has drones he can launch to provide flanking and scouting (spontaneous summon nature’s ally).

Awakened housecat rogue/monk
Think a talking version of Mr. Scruffy

Orc barmaid (unarmed swordsage)
unlike what people usually think of when they think "orc", she's actually quite beautiful. Just don't slap her ass, she can knock you though a wall.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-26, 05:16 PM
Take a level in Dervish, so you can use them as light weapons.

Is it worth the feats and PrC levels just for this?

Deity
2011-03-27, 01:16 AM

Well, although it hurts from a mechanics standpoint, Dao are not light weapons. Wielding 2 of them effectively in combat would have been a rare and impressive sight.

By stretching things slightly to fit your concept, maybe see if you can get it allowed as a weapon treated as a scimitar, but with exotic weapon proficiency, can be dual wielded as light weapons, as well as a free action to separate 2 swords being wielded in one hand.

Galileo
2011-03-27, 05:01 AM
Characters I’ve never gotten to play? I’ve got a whole adventuring party.

Half farspawn human psychic warrior
That’s right, a human that turns into a tactical monster.

Mermaid wizard/bonded summoned
A mermaid caster that lives inside a gigantic ball of water, that also happens to be her familiar.

Chaotic good Drow bard/bladesinger
She’s a Priestess of Eilistraee, which actually fits much better than a standard cleric.

Warforged druid (shapechange variant) battle droid
A shapeshifting battle droid with various combat modes: Predator form (hunter mode), aerial form (flight mode), ferocious slayer form (main battle mode), forest avenger form (dreadnought form).
The droid also has drones he can launch to provide flanking and scouting (spontaneous summon nature’s ally).

Awakened housecat rogue/monk
Think a talking version of Mr. Scruffy

Orc barmaid (unarmed swordsage)
unlike what people usually think of when they think "orc", she's actually quite beautiful. Just don't slap her ass, she can knock you though a wall.
That would be the best party ever. In fact, I may steal that mermaid wizard idea.

I've been trying to play an elven warblade/Eternal Blade for a while now. He'd focus on Iron Heart maneuvers and wear a green tunic.
Of course, I make so many Legend of Zelda jokes during our games that the rest of my group have made it a drinking game. Maybe playing Link isn't such a great idea...

horngeek
2011-03-27, 05:05 AM
Drow Paladin of Bahamut (4e). I've got this idea floating around.

Plan would be for her to eventually take the Mythic Sovereign Epic Destiny, and she'd basically lead a large-scale exodus from Drow society of all those who were just plain sick of the self-destructive nature of their own culture.

tcrudisi
2011-03-27, 05:14 AM
This is an Arcane-based build in 4e. Works fine for Bard, Wizard, Sorc, Warlock, or Swordmage, though I envision a Bard or Wizard pulling it off best.

Take a Tiny Gelatinous Cube arcane familiar. At level 4, take the ritual to ride it as a mount. It makes the familiar large-sized and you can ride it. However, it still eats non-organic materials and is invisible. As such, take summoned cloth armor. Now, when I go riding around, I can ride nude. In fact, I have to or my armor gets eaten. People see my Bard floating nude 10 feet off the ground, moving slowly down the road.

He'd be a bit eccentric.

Eventually, I would get the feat which adds Teleport to the familiars movement, then the item which lets me teleport with him. Then, I'm also occasionally disappearing and reappearing 10 feet ahead, still nude, still sitting 10 feet up in the air, but no one can see what I'm riding on. Although the ground is getting very clean ...

Cheesy74
2011-03-27, 10:37 AM
I really want to play Johann Krauss from Hellboy at some point. That is, a ghost possessing a powersuit. I'm just not sure how it would work mechanically or even what classes to start with.

Baalthazaq
2011-03-27, 01:42 PM
I really want to play Johann Krauss from Hellboy at some point. That is, a ghost possessing a powersuit. I'm just not sure how it would work mechanically or even what classes to start with.

Hmmmm, fun idea. I had an idea for a possessed Barbarian using a ghost with the Leadership feat to get a willing cohort.

As for a power suit:
Full Plate. Animate Objects. Permanency. Could work.
Malevolence would actually work on a warforge as a simple solution. Leadership + Warforge Cohort as a workaround. Maybe some class or prestige class that gives a cohort if you don't want to waste a feat... the Imagist from Book of Erotic Fantasy actually gives a free cohort.

Maybe make your guy a Red Wizard and make the Warforge a Thayan Knight?

I dunno. You've got me thinking now. :)

Teln
2011-03-27, 02:16 PM
If I ever DM an epic game, my first BBEG will be a pair of elven demiliches who are a pair of hands joined by a ten-foot length of chain. The demiliches are ridiculously yandere (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Yandere) for each other. When they first met, they wound up in a Romeo-and-Juliet situation. One of them was a drow, the other one was the daughter of an ambassador from a nearby elven nation. Both their homelands were small, and the only thing keeping their nations from declaring war upon each other was a rather large mind flayer empire nearby.

Naturally, there was absolutely no way their respective families would let their love bloom, so they...dealt with the problem. Permanently.

Fast-forward to the present day, and you could be forgiven for mistaking them for a couple of gossipy spinsters. (Did I mention they're both women?) Yes, it's a shame about the fact that they've lost their youthful good looks, but any good marriage demands the occasional sacrifice, and it would be unforgivably gauche to let simple vanity force you to throw away an eternity with your One True Love.

Why, they even gave up their religions for each other! Gelbir's priests are all dead and his temples are destroyed, so he's not a threat anymore. Lolth on the other hand...Hmm, they might need to get rid of all the drow in the world, just to be sure. Oh, it's just genociding one race, what is that compared to Love?

Blackjackg
2011-03-27, 02:25 PM
Man, far too many to list, in more systems than one could easily shake a stick at. My current "darling" for 3.5 is a Warforged Paladin of Slaughter/Juggernaut/Thrall of Baphomet. The trick is coming up with something to call him other than "Mechanical Bull."

Gadora
2011-03-27, 03:37 PM
I'm wanting to run a character who was orphaned at an early age and has the classic "blood of dragons gives me my power" going on, as per Mr. generic sorcerer, but his powers got twisted due to his upbringing. You see, unlike most adventurers, he was actually raised by his parents; they just happened to be ghosts at the time.

At the moment, I'm probably going to run this guy as a spellscale dread necromancer. I might actually get a chance to run this one after the Star Wars campaign I'm in wraps up.

Nerocite
2011-03-27, 04:22 PM
Warlock||Barbarian. Rages, smashes stuff up in melee, uses invocations for ranged.

Samurai1/Ronin10||Paladin1/Blackguard10. Fell twice.

BadJuJu
2011-03-28, 09:02 AM
It's simple, but a Hunter of the Undead. Every time I think I might get a chance, the game changes away from undead.

bokodasu
2011-03-28, 01:47 PM
I've played some of these! Or run games for them. The UMD rogue "wizard" and mermaid wizard were two of my daughter's characters. (Except hers were technically a UMD pseudodragon bard and a were-mermaid fairy, who could only cast spells while in mermaid form.)

And awakened cat rogue is exactly as fun as it sounds. (i.e., extremely.)

My desires are simple: I want to play a ToB class. Any of them, really. I ran a game that used it and found them superfun for smashing things! But my DM has headed down the path of core-only, which makes me a sad panda.

I think I've actually played most of the character concepts I've really had a burning desire to try out. Now I'm feeling pretty lucky.

BiblioRook
2011-04-03, 05:51 PM
And awakened cat rogue is exactly as fun as it sounds. (i.e., extremely.)

I was just about to post something along these lines, I've been looking over the Dragon Compendium and while usually the races in 4th ed are the thing I hate most about that edition, I kinda fell in love with Tibbits (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tibbits_%284e_Race%29)

Talking about the Dragon Compendium, adding to my eairler post about a blind fighter, there has been a few topics on spears lately and now I kinda want to play a blind spear-welding feat-rogue >.<
...it makes more sense in my head.

Laniius
2011-04-03, 06:56 PM
I have a character I once statted but never used...the introductory paragraph would have gone something like this:

As you enter the tavern, you see a veritable mountain of a man at the back corner. He must stand at least seven feet tall, and he looks to weigh at least 300 pounds in pure muscle. He wears plate armor which covers everything but a bushy black beard that reaches to his chest. There is a broad shield slung over his back, and he is liberally festooned with weapons: the hilt of a two-handed sword protrudes over one shoulder, and a massive hammer hangs from one side of his belt. At the other side are a pair of axes thrust through his belt, and you can see a knife stuck into one boot. This assortment of cutlery is topped off by an oversized crossbow and its quiver strapped to one thigh.

As you recover from the initial shock, you note that this giant is reading, with all outward signs of enjoyment, a heavy tome entitled "Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals."

His background was that he started off as a philosophy student, and after receiving the equivalent of a Ph.D., realized that all his studies told him that there was evil in the world, and that those capable of dealing with it had an obligation to do so. Being, as previously mentioned, seven feet tall and heavily muscled (and possessed of a very straightforward worldview), he obviously qualified. Plus, it paid better than philosophy. So he went out, joined the army, learned to fight, got an honorable discharge, and has been fighting evil ever since...in the most straightforward way possible, which is to find evil, kick in the door, and kill anything that moves. And between door-kicking, he puts on his good clothes, combs his beard, and goes to public debates in the local forum.

Hmm perhaps a fighter dipping in factotum (or factotum dipping in fighter) with a single level of master of masks to get weapon proficiency: Everything?

TheThan
2011-04-03, 07:00 PM
That would be the best party ever. In fact, I may steal that mermaid wizard idea.

I've been trying to play an elven warblade/Eternal Blade for a while now. He'd focus on Iron Heart maneuvers and wear a green tunic.
Of course, I make so many Legend of Zelda jokes during our games that the rest of my group have made it a drinking game. Maybe playing Link isn't such a great idea...

I actually got to play the orc for a very short lived BOEF game. oh well.
i also left out the Half dragon, dragonwrought Kobold, dragonblooded, dragon shaman. He wasn't quite as inspiring as the others.

I've also recently hit upon the idea of a two-headed ogre, an Ettin thats in love with itself.

Tolvan
2011-09-06, 07:58 PM
Ok so I just thought of this five mins ago. A blade singer/hex blade/sword Mage. An arcane striker/defender with an powerful sword and tons of wands for long range(as well as a fey strike dagger)

Yourshallowpal
2011-09-06, 10:26 PM
Not really a CHARACTER, but a certain team-

- Always wanted to be a part of, or DM for, a party of changelings who specialize in group infiltration. They plan heists (or assasinations) by researching their enemies, coming up with a con, and taking on carefully prepared aliases.

Zorzark
2011-09-07, 01:06 AM
For DnD3.5, I've long wanted to play a Favored Soul Raptoran, who was originally a god who accidentally avatar'd. Based on an old, long-winded rant about how Favored Souls were so overpowered that they were essentially gods in player hands. Also, Raportans have a unique PrC that goes deliciously well with the Favored Soul. Flavor wise, I'd rip off Wind Waker's Rito.

Greyfeld
2011-09-07, 01:18 AM
For 3.5, I have a Bard//Dread Necro gestalt character I've been sitting on for a few months that I can't seem to find a game for, for the life of me. She basically takes the fluff from the "dirgesinger" PrC and extends it to an entire character, being a character that instills fear and dread through her hauntingly beautiful music, while her undead minions shamble forward and eat them alive.

The thing is, while I'm flexible enough that I can change her race without too many problems, the actual crunch requires multiple splat books, including some FRCS stuff. Which means I need a DM that allows for a wide range of books to really make her work.

For anybody who cares about the character background:
Growing up in the usual way amongst her own kind, Vesper was very moved by music, and very aloof to the world outside of it. Her days were filled with songs of beauty, contentedness and grace. However, one day her world expanded when a human boy from the outside realms came through the region. He was very musical, just as she was, and they fell in love immediately. Her songs expanded to include those of bliss and love, and he sang them with her.

However, an unfortunate accident took him away from her too early. As his body lay growing cold, sadness touched her music for the first time. But then something even colder and more unexpected happened. She began falling into darkness. An unnatural darkness that blot out the land and the sky. A cruel and many-tonal voice rooted into her mind and refused to let go. "Vesper of the planetouched elves of Faerun, you have been sacrificed for the life of another. You will spend an eternity in his place in this afterlife." The human that she loved had made a plea for his own life. He had exchanged Vesper's life for the remainder of his own, and she was dragged down into the endless abyss.

The music Vesper so loved became twisted and haunting in the immeasurable time she spent in the afterlife. Her sadness turned to anger, then to hate. Even in her ghostly form, her music continued to take shape and grow in power. This power eventually granted her something she had never imagined; a second chance at life.

At some point, she found herself torn from the abyss and standing before a man in dark robes. He smirked. "The spell worked better than I could have ever hoped." She stood before him in the same body she had before her death. Not undead, but fully alive. "Well, my dear, I believe you are quite in my debt."

Kesnit
2011-09-07, 07:25 AM
My fiancee used to LARP Vampire: the Requiem. As part of her backstory, she was a long-time ghoul, but was left for dead by her regent, found by another vampire, and was Embraced.

While reading the bloodline books, I found a bloodline that could have described her character's regent. (She didn't know about the bloodline when she made the character.) Since then, I've been wanting to play the regent, but it never seems to work out. If I tried to play the regent in LARP, I would be killed as soon as the other PC's realized who I was. There hasn't been a tabletop game where the character would fit.

Dimers
2011-09-07, 07:57 AM
I'd like to play a Christmas-pun-themed Shadowrun team (pink mohawks style, of course, not mirrorshades). Santa is a fat, jolly Elf, shaman of ice magic and reindeer, wears shades and uses a tommy gun. Ms. Claws, an orc street samurai. Abominable/"Bumble", an albino troll bruiser of some sort. Rude Dolph, a red-nosed dwarf rigger, adept at piloting through the worst weather. (He drives the team's main vehicle, the Slay.) And The Snowman, an elf decker who looks like Billy Idol in the White Wedding video. "Ice is no problem for the Snowman!" They could have a combat drone called Saint Nicks'N'Scratches ... a drone to make their own fragging chimney ...

o/~ You'd better run, or you're gonna die!
If you wanna fight kiss your *** goodbye --
Santa Claus is gunning you down. o/~

o/~ He'll freeze you in your footsteps, he'll shoot you in the head
Last thing you'll see is red and white, if you live you're better off dead ... o/~

Daer
2011-09-07, 09:12 AM
beta testing a mmorpg gave me this idea for charater.

A orc shaman that in search for more power goes trough some ritual or maybe deals with devil to gain some dark magic to control undead spirits and make them as his servant. Well as in mmorpg something goes wrong and the orc finds himself indeed possessing the new magic but same time not being 'him' anymore but a cute little dwarf/halfling girl!

GlasgowPhill
2011-09-07, 04:41 PM
Campaign idea, well starter at least.

Start by running Lashings of Ginger Beer (set in and idyllic English village) with all the characters using the ludicrously simple system and playing as kids. But then having all the available plot strands leading into a campaign of another game.
Eg. they investigate the Old Wilkins Place and under the floorboards there's secretly a Dagon cult and suddenly they're playing Call of Cthulhu.
they investigate the field none of the sheep on the farm want to go near and fall through into the Earthdawn setting and have to help either a troll or a windling against the other one.
they go to see what the Tall Ship in the marina is and end up sailing the Seventh Sea.
they help the local astronomer hunt down a strange comet he watched fall from the sky and it turns out to be a 40k droppod and they start on Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Deathwatch as it turns out all along they'd been on a pastoral world in the Imperium.
they follow none of the plot threads and try to walk "off the map" and they find they've glitched the VR program they were on in Shadowrun and they have to adapt to the world not being as nice as it was in their little village.

Antonok
2011-09-07, 06:58 PM
2 char ideas I've had that I thought be be fun but either got veto'd before they saw daylight, or said daylight didn't last long enough to even get past the first adventure:

The first is one: a fire mephling monk/pyrokineticist that used duel whips to fight. The basic background is he was abandoned on the material plane, but found and raised by a kind elderly monk. Over the years, despite his best efforts to subdue it, his mephling-ness bursts forth and he sets an inn on fire. He eventually turns chaotic, but always has to live with the struggle between his lawful upbringing and his chaotic nature.

The second: A regular kobold that would have ended up as a Duskblade 5/Rogue 5/Order of the Bow Initiate 10, that had an insane hide score and 2 feats that effectively reduced his hide penalty for sniping to a -6. That char didn't have much depth beyond the build though.

Accordion Twome
2011-09-07, 08:06 PM
I have one that I though up a week or two ago.
Not sure what class he will be.

A human that is invisible except for his skeleton, looking like a undead and being shunned for that he has a hated them ever since he was a child.

I was thinking he might be a paladin/ranger.
I might not play him because I'm Dming a group right now but I can always dream.:smallsmile:

Bluepaw
2011-09-07, 11:02 PM
I usually try to slip in at least something that will get a metagame smile, not during tense moments, but to keep the atmosphere entertaining in between. Places like the Progg River Valley (including the shifter encampment at Progg Rock)...or NPCs like the aristocratic ex-airship pilot, Lord Ardwir (nickname "Ace")...

I've also wanted to have a game where the PCs keep running into a half-elf married couple, tourists, blithely visiting the same foreboding castles and mazes that the PCs are struggling through. Maybe they sketch each other standing in front of scenic tableaux. "Oh, honey, look, adventurers! Isn't it just so authentic?"

Also -- a windsoul genasi bard. Plays the bagpipes.

Lord Raziere
2011-09-07, 11:38 PM
all these are 4e:

Wilden Warlock who got cast out from her tribe or whatever for consorting with unnatural things outside the prime plane.

Halfling Paladin of Avandra

Shardmind Swordmage who is hiding from other Shardminds because of one of their games (my own conception of how Shardmind society would work is very long games, don't ask)

An Eberron Bard who wants to keep the memory of the Last War alive so that people won't forget its horrors, carrying around a Dirge he blows into as he sings somber songs of men dying and the horrors of war.

Warforged Barbarian, also Eberron that was a big berserker guy back during the war, but now wants to find a new purpose

Half-Orc Monk who is raised by this Dwarf Monk who killed his entire village on orders from his dwarven king, but couldn't kill a helpless baby, so he raised him instead. But the Half-Orc Monk found out about it and is unsure of what to do....

Warforged Bard that plays the Blues on a Saxophone :smallcool:

Exalted:

A Solar that Exalted by outplaying an Infernal at violin, and wields an Orichalcum Violin as a weapon

The Brother of that Solar, who wields Orichalcum Maracas

A Water-Aspected Dragon-Blooded Magnificient Bastard pirate-Martial-artist-smuggler-mafia boss-fake Dynast who works in the Imperial Navy, and plans to save all of Creation using only his wits and charm by manipulating the titanic forces around him even though he is just a Dragon-Blooded.
and he does all this, just to save one Wood-Aspected Dynast girl he fell in love with but never actually talked to, who wasn't even the real Dynast girl and was actually a Sidereal disguised as that Dynast girl because a prophecy told the Sidereal that he would save Creation if she disguised herself as that Dynast girl and allowed him to see her.

the last one is complicated.

Physics_Rook
2011-09-08, 12:30 AM
Starting at the top and going in descending order of "most want".

Ammy from Okami
The divine brush, floating sword, wolf, everything. :smallsmile:

Anything Raptoran.
Mostly because they seemed like one of very few races that was actually interesting and original for D&D.

The "thinks his home team is the best" Gnoll Warblade.
Kidnapped by a rival clan that wiped out his original clan, they kept telling him how stupid his clan was. Kidnapped by humans who wiped out the rival clan, they kept telling him how stupid gnolls were. After finally escaping he's a rebellious teen who wants to prove how great his original clan really was. Mostly he was just supposed to be played for laughs as he constantly tries to explain to everyone why one aspect or other of his clan is not idiotically stupid and is actually complete awesome-sauce instead.:smalltongue:

The Warforged Totemist who isn't wracked by internal conflict about his place in the world.
A feral robot that's in touch with his inner beast. I don't mean he's refluffed to be a transformer either. Mostly I just thought it would be cool to play a warforged who isn't in a constant emo-struggle with their role in life, but has still kept a very different world view.

Ahm N'ahm N'ahm, a lizardfolk barbarian ...

I got all the way to the second "N'ahm" before realizing.:smallbiggrin:

That is perhaps one of the best names I've ever seen for a character. :smallbiggrin:

There aren't enough smilies to convey how much smiley that name is worth.
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2011-09-08, 07:17 AM
Campaign idea, well starter at least.

Start by running Lashings of Ginger Beer ... suddenly they're playing Call of Cthulhu ... fall through into the Earthdawn setting ... end up sailing the Seventh Sea ... turns out to be a 40k droppod ... they've glitched the VR program they were on in Shadowrun ...

Trippy, maaaaaan. :smalltongue:

(Just don't let 'em split the party. :smallamused:)

Randomguy
2011-09-10, 11:18 PM
One character I've wanted to use is a fighter that dual wields large warmaces, for the awesomeness. (Oversized weapon fighting +monkey grip feat.)

I've also watned to play a tristalt sorcerer/monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122)/fighter because with greater mighty wallop, improved natural attack, enlarge person and the revised fists of iron feat, I can get 10 sizes higher than 6d6 damage with an unarmed strike. That's probably enough to punch out a Tarrasque.

Ever since watching Tangled I've had the urge to make a rogue or swasbuckler that fights with a frying pan.

Stone Heart
2011-09-12, 02:04 AM
For Pathfinder, Raging Barbarian/Cavalier riding his raging T-rex. One of the archetypes allows for the cavalier to ride just about anything, one of which is the T-Rex. There are rage powers that allow you to imbue your mount with your rage abilities. This seemed to me to be the next logical step.

Lord Vampyre
2011-09-13, 01:52 PM
There are two concepts that I've really wanted to play.

The first would be a Half-Dragon Minotaur Barbarian. And of course, it would have to be a Half-Shadow Dragon Minotaur.

The other concept I've really wanted to play is the Whirling Dervish/Duelist. Two-weapon fighting with Scimitars.

Ah, alas I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I love wizards far too much to play something so martially inclined.

Bluepaw
2011-09-13, 04:13 PM
The other concept I've really wanted to play is the Whirling Dervish/Duelist. Two-weapon fighting with Scimitars.

Ah, alas I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I love wizards far too much to play something so martially inclined.

If you want to get really crazy, and hedge your bets by retaining some badass arcana, roll up a hybrid whirling barbarian/hexblade warlock. Dervish fighting style with twin scimitars, except the blades are infused with the souls of beings with whom you've made dodgy arrangements in returned for unbridled power...

flumphy
2011-09-13, 04:31 PM
A character who was raised by a circle of druids and, in fact, believes she has druid powers, but is actually a favored soul (maybe with some kind of dip to grab the appropriate skills.) She doesn't understand why all her peers are so good with animals and how they've mastered such different spells.

Kymme
2011-09-13, 09:33 PM
Two Words.
Anima Mage

Aerlock
2011-09-15, 01:21 PM
I had a Tzimisce (spelling?) from oWoD that I would love to play again. I got to play once in our intro session and the group never met again after that. I was only on scene for about 15 mins but I managed to creep out the rest of the group with the guy pretty quick while roleplaying using the fleshshaping discipline they have.

Others I built and never got to play:

A mechanic in the Serenty RPG. Was touched in the head and talked to his machines. Wouldn't hardly talk to anyone else. Think aspergers/austistic level of social non-interaction unless a machine was involved. Anything from a pocket calculator to the ship he travelled in was a coversationalist.

SR3 Dwarf that was absolutley convinced that he was a troll born in the wrong body. Cybered and bio-ed up to the point that he routinely took on trolls in barfights and won.

SR3 wageslave/shaman. As I recall he was partially cybered (one hand, eyes ears. around a point of essence) and could only summon spirits, but the backstory I had on him was he was a normal wageslave that got caught in the middle of someone elses smash/snatch and grab run and interrupted it enough to let corp stop the run and catch the runners. He lost his hand and forearm when a live grenade he picked and was trying to throw away went off and destroyed his arm, eyes, and ears. after that he started running low-profile stuff and eventually had an awakening to the spirit world on one of his getaway vacations.

DnD 3.5 Half-Ogre/Half-Ogre. Half-Ogre Template from DrMag 313 applied to the Half-Ogre base Race. Just cause its goofy, no real story to this one.

- Aerlock

EvilDM
2011-09-15, 02:19 PM
My current favorite character idea would be modeled after Father Alexander Anderson from the Hellsing series. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxudSrWcEiU&feature=related) (warning: lots of blood)

In a nutshell, a Paladin used to assassinate enemies of the Catholic Church, ie vampires and Protestants:

"Remember, violence is never the right answer, except when used against heathens and monsters." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTLVuEJcWw)

ps If you're not familiar with the series and are curious click the bottom link first, it'll make more sense.

0Megabyte
2011-09-15, 04:06 PM
A pink-haired prepubescent magical girl Warlock, with all abilities refluffed. Eldritch Blast becomes Happy Heart Blast (still lethal). Fell Flight becomes Joy Love Flight or some-such. I can come up with better titles, but you get the drift. Granted, she still sold her soul to a horrific -but cute!- demonic entity. Basically, think Puella Magi Madoka Magica and you've got it.

Frozen-feet's interesting Paladin/Sacred Prostitute idea.

A Lawful Neutral fallen paladin 4/Warblade X, who basically lost his paladinhood when he chose, ah, the Lawful option from Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, if you get my drift. He isn't evil, and he isn't gonna become a blackguard. He's just... kind of a fanatic.

Guts from Berserk. Oh yeah.

The Cryptkeeper: Not the guy from Tales of the Crypt. No, this guy is a CE Dread Necromancer... who should be completely nonthreatening and yet completely over the top.

*Giggles maniacally* Does anybody want... COOKIES?! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *pulls out a tray of home-baked cookies which are made to look like zombies. You know, green frosting, ginger-bread-man form, red food coloring dripping from mouths... etc.*

*Against enemies.* "Fools! FOOLS! Who DARES defy... THE CRYPTKEEPER?!!!!!"

Naturally, this painfully obviously over-the-top villain caricature would be in a good party. The non-threatening caricature aspect would be the main reason, probably.

LordFluffy
2011-09-15, 04:54 PM
Gurps: A superhero with 5 personalities: The base personality (work at home programmer), his dad (an alcoholic police detective), his mother (battered woman pacifist with healing powers), his superheroic identity that borders on the 4 color (flies, telekinetic) and his anti-hero alter ego, a bad ass biker with no problems killing people for looking at him cross (strength and fighting skills).

Only the last is fully aware of all the personalities. The parents are aware of the main personality and are either disappointed (his dad) or very protective (mom). The base personality is aware of his nice superhero personality and that there have to be more, but not who the others are.

Werewolf: A Get of Fenris metis with one eye whose intolerance is towards bigots. Lives in a biker gang.

Vampire LARP: A delusional Malkavian in massive denial about being a vampire. He believes he goes to meetings for people coping with severe anemia. He rejects the notion that he has powers or is immortal, even when he uses them.

Vampire: A Toreador who wants nothing to do with vamp society but became one to chase down the the vampire who murdered his lover from 200 years ago.

D&D: A human Barbarian/Sorceror who grew up as a slave to orcs. His weapon of choice is the chain he was bound to the ceiling with (now fashioned into the chain weapon from Savage Species).

A Half-Orc soulknife who works as a bounty hunter.

Other: A wheelman who started out as an amulance driver. I've imagined him in Vampire, Mage and contemporary campaigns where he's just a guy who knows how to drive well.

I've also wanted to play an immortal, but not the Highlander version. Someone whose primary special ability is that he can't die. I imagined a street level crime fighter version and a super-villian for a Savage Worlds game.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I could come up with.

QuidEst
2011-09-15, 05:04 PM
Moderately medium-aware Bard, Comedy and Tragedy. They're two personalities without any of the Jekyll/Hyde conflict drama. They believe themselves, accurately or not, to be the personifications of theatric tradition. They both use a lot of self-alteration magic, but otherwise specialize in their own branches. Comedy uses Hideous Laughter, Glibness, Prestidigitation, and other such things, while Tragedy tends towards Crushing Despair, Bone Fiddle, Ghost Sound, and Detect Thoughts.

Most of the fun comes from playing around a little with them.

Tragedy would put on performances using Bone Fiddle on herself, giving no indication of pain behind her theater mask. In reality, she has bones sewn into the lining of her cloak that she plays instead, but the audience need not know.

Comedy would pretty much never get over the joy of having magical powers, not something she's had in any of the other genres I've written her into. Lesser Geas would certainly never get old. The ability to compel somebody to slap themselves repeatedly for days at a time? She would refer to herself as a "spoony Bard", sneak around singing (on a one) "With Cat-like Tread" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdJg6Duzzf4), use "Leeroy Jenkins!" as a battle cry, and make Spot-checks to see if there's a fourth wall or not, occasionally nagging or insulting me if there isn't a fourth wall. In the highly unlikely event she were ever given access to an unlimited Wish, she would ascend to DM-hood. Yes, take over the DM's job and use me as a literal author avatar.

Cespenar
2011-09-15, 05:20 PM
Speaking of personalities, I had this one idea:

A schizophrenic Master of Masks whose personality actually changes with the mask he puts on. It'd be ironic that as he would grow in power, new personalities would start to crop up. Then finally, depending on the campaign and story, I'd either have him continue on with the multiple personalities, break down into something even worse, or find his true self, whatever that might be.

Oh, also another, irrelevant idea: a Warforged Wizard/Fatespinner who would hack reality itself.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-09-15, 05:53 PM
I always wanted to take the joke people make about druids being bears riding bears throwing bears and actually do it.

I figure if I can wildshape into a brownbear and somehow make my animal companion a direbear, I can take fling ally and Summon Nature's ally and quicken spell and something else to make it a swift action... I'd ride the bear while summoning bears into my hands and throwing them as swift actions. But I've never cared enough to actually put work into it.

I've always wanted to make a Mongol warlord type, but switch it up by making his chassis paladin. In 3.5 making the archer aspect work was near impossible, what with the incredible feat tax and the near worthlessness of smite evil and most of the other class features. Pathfinder Paladin does this beautifully, however, allowing a stronger mount while allowing smite at range and better charisma synergy for less MAD. And if you can get away with it, divine hunter archetype for the free feat instead of armor proficiency... And none of the other abilities. (Note at this point I still don't get to use it. I went as far as to get a friend to dm a campaign so that I could, but then I found out he dislikes paladins and another friend wants to be a gunslinger... Oh well.)

I really love paladins. I've never gotten to play one though. I guess ultimately the rest of my examples would say this. Notables: Gun wielding PF paladin, gnome paladin who fights with honor regardless of his small size, really standard paladin, 3.5 druid/prestige paladin with a reverence for the natural purity of nature, etc etc.

Wraith
2011-09-16, 02:33 PM
D&D 3.5: A sledge-hammer wielding Minotaur Paladin. Of Bhaal.

D&D 3.5: Drow Soulknife whose Evil alignment manifests mostly by cheating at cards and then slitting up anyone who proves too good for him.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Using the Pit Fighter class to represent a disgraced Blood Bowl player that has currently been dropped from his team and has to make a leaving as an Adventurer (Recently managed to achieve this one, it was remarkably good fun AND turned out to be a solid build to boot :smalltongue: )

Ironclaw: A blind Martial Artist who reads tarot cards and tells fortunes for a living in between bouts of Kung Fu-style butt kicking.