PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream thread!

super dark33
2011-03-21, 12:51 AM
due that THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10596788#post10596788) thread deraild fast, and the discussion of ice cream went up, i hereby open

THE ICE CREAM THREAD!

just...just talk about ice cream.

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-21, 12:53 AM
due that THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10596788#post10596788) thread deraild fast, and the discussion of ice cream went up, i hereby open

THE ICE CREAM THREAD!

double scoop cookies and cream and mint chocolate chip.

/thread:smalltongue:

Amiel
2011-03-21, 01:00 AM
Rainbow ice-cream and/or Red Bull gelati is amazing the best.

Sensate
2011-03-21, 01:54 AM
Call me crazy but I'm a huge fan of McDonald's Vanilla Frozen Yogurt.

Amiel
2011-03-21, 01:59 AM
You are crazy; to be honest, haven't tried their frozen yoghurt, is it any good? :)

Shopkeeper: [Homer has agreed to purchase a Krusty doll for Bart's birthday] Take this object, but beware, it carries a terrible curse!
Homer: Ooh, that's bad.
Shopkeeper: But it comes with a free frogurt!
Homer: That's good.
Shopkeeper: The frogurt is also cursed.
Homer: That's bad.
Shopkeeper: But you get your choice of toppings.
Homer: That's good!
Shopkeeper: The toppings contain potassium benzoate.
[Homer looks puzzled]
Shopkeeper: ...That's bad.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-21, 04:05 AM

Well, I tried sixth edition for awhile but I found it's just not cromulent enough, and creating a character requires way too much visissitude, and the rules for astral confabulation are just too complicated to use well.

So yeah, 7E is much better. I'm amazed by how embiggened everything is.

Eldan
2011-03-21, 04:12 AM
Well, I tried sixth edition for awhile but I found it's just not cromulent enough, and creating a character requires way too much visissitude, and the rules for astral confabulation are just too complicated to use well.

So yeah, 7E is much better. I'm amazed by how embiggened everything is.

Ah, but the 7E rules for feat re-grokking are just quixotic. And honestly, the runcible rules should be outgrabed.

Perenelle
2011-03-21, 06:45 AM
Peach ice cream and black cherry ice cream are the best flavors known to man kind, hands down.

Eldan
2011-03-21, 06:48 AM
Aye, they be delicious. But then, as I said, I like pretty much all flavours. Except chocolate. Eugh. (White chocolate is okay.)

Perenelle
2011-03-21, 06:52 AM
Aye, they be delicious. But then, as I said, I like pretty much all flavours. Except chocolate. Eugh. (White chocolate is okay.)

White chocolate ice cream!?
:O
They make that? *drools*

Eldan
2011-03-21, 07:02 AM
Indeed they do, and it's as delicious as it sounds. Not easy to find, though.

Starbuck_II
2011-03-21, 07:35 AM
I'm not sure but Mint chocolate chip taste different when it is green mints instead of the normal chiocolate: even though it is just food coloring.

Is it a placebo effect?

Phishfood
2011-03-21, 07:43 AM
If you can't figure out my favourite ice cream you should be shot. That is all.

Eldan
2011-03-21, 07:51 AM
Fish chocolate? Sounds worth a try. :smalltongue:

JediSoth
2011-03-21, 08:00 AM
I miss the ice cream I used to get when I was in Germany. I'd always get a triple-scoop cone: lemon, banana, and chocolate. It was a FAR better combination than you'd think. Citrus and chocolate go very well together if the citrus isn't sour (and most non-American citrus-flavored things aren't overly sour).

The BEST ice cream I ever ate was actually Gelato, though. It came from a little cafe on the Isle of Capri. You could walk a block up a cobblestone-covered street to an overlook and eat your gelato while looking out over the crystal-clear blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Gorgeous (and delicious!).

Mauve Shirt
2011-03-21, 08:04 AM
Maple walnut ice cream, or coconut ice cream. Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream is also tasty. Black raspberry ice cream and peach ice cream are my favorite fruit flavors.

Eadin
2011-03-21, 08:12 AM
I first ate Tiramisu gelato in Italy and have been love with it ever since :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2011-03-21, 08:24 AM
Whenever I can find Dark Chocolate... Very Tasty! I love it, but it's hard to find around here. I once found it in the grocery store freezer, but only once and it has never been back.

Eldan
2011-03-21, 08:53 AM
Okay, so.

I've seen people mention mint ice cream over and over.

I've never had it.
I've never seen it.
I've never even heard of it.

Is that bad?

Eadin
2011-03-21, 08:58 AM
Okay, so.

I've never had it.
I've never seen it.

Is that bad?

Yes. Yes it is.

KingRexII
2011-03-21, 09:00 AM
I count Rocky Road and Mint Chocolate Chip as a few of my favorites, though I haven't had either in a while. *adds to grocery list*

What I really want is an ice cream maker. Mmmm... ice cream hombrew....

Melayl
2011-03-21, 09:35 AM
Okay, so.

I've never had it.
I've never seen it.

Is that bad?

You must try it. One of my favorites, it is. I also really love Vanilla. Yup "plain old vanilla". I find it delicious. That's not to say I don't love chocolate, or strawberry, or banana, or... Ok, I don't know if there is an ice cream flavor I don't like. I mean, it is ice cream for crying out loud! :smallbiggrin:

Eadin
2011-03-21, 09:36 AM
I mean, it is ice cream for crying out loud! :smallbiggrin:

We all scream for ice cream :smallamused:

Asta Kask
2011-03-21, 09:42 AM
I hear those ice cream bells and I start to drool
Keep a couple quarts in my locker at school
Yeah, but chocolate's gettin' old
Vanilla just leaves me cold

There's just one flavor good enough for me, yeah me
Don't gimme no crummy taste spoon
I know what I need

Baby, I love rocky road
So weren't you gonna buy half a gallon, baby
I love rocky road
So have another triple scoop with me, ow

Morph Bark
2011-03-21, 10:07 AM
Stragiatella. Or fresh rawberry ice cream. Or shockolate.

Syka
2011-03-21, 11:09 AM
Favorite: Edy's Drumstick Ice Cream. It is as amazing as it sounds.

Second favorite (and very close): Mint Choco Chip. Preferable if green, 'cause that's what I grew up with, but white works. Particularly Friendly's Monster Mash, although it's rare I get it. :(
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8hoeplqhK1qa0rvr.jpg

Nix Nihila
2011-03-21, 11:43 AM
Ice cream sucks! Sorbet is better! :smallcool:

Well.. OK, ice cream is good, but I still think sorbet is better!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-21, 11:50 AM
My mom got a thing for Black Sesame Ice Cream in Japan... She was also insane enought o grab a McFlurry one of the *thinks* 3 times we went into a McDonalds. Green Tea Ice Cream does not a good McFlurry make.

Starbuck_II
2011-03-21, 12:07 PM
Okay, so.

I've never had it.
I've never seen it.

Is that bad?

Almost as bad as never expereincing My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (almost).
You missing out on a treat. I find it my second favorite. Strawberry Ice cream will always be favorite as a I love Strawberries.

factotum
2011-03-21, 12:28 PM
Quite partial to Ben and Jerry's myself, although I don't think anything can beat the awesome that is the Bird's Vienetta--especially the mint flavour one!

Volthawk
2011-03-21, 01:41 PM
Okay, so.

I've never had it.
I've never seen it.

Is that bad?

Wait...seriously?

Dr.Epic
2011-03-21, 01:53 PM
I prefer frozen yogurt.:smallwink:

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-21, 02:47 PM
Quite partial to Ben and Jerry's myself, although I don't think anything can beat the awesome that is the Bird's Vienetta--especially the mint flavour one!

i will only eat two styles of ben and jerry's

phish food and stephen colbert's americone dream

also coffee ice cream. who else likes it besides me?

Melayl
2011-03-21, 02:52 PM
Ooh. Coffee ice cream is good too...

Mystic Muse
2011-03-21, 03:16 PM
I hear those ice cream bells and I start to drool
Keep a couple quarts in my locker at school
Yeah, but chocolate's gettin' old
Vanilla just leaves me cold

There's just one flavor good enough for me, yeah me
Don't gimme no crummy taste spoon
I know what I need

Baby, I love rocky road
So weren't you gonna buy half a gallon, baby
I love rocky road
So have another triple scoop with me, ow

Sounds good to me!

I'm not too picky about ice cream. I don't like sherberts but I'll try just about anything if it doesn't sound too bizarre and it doesn't cost me too much. If I've had it and don't like it though, I'm not likely to try it again.

Phishfood
2011-03-21, 05:09 PM
i will only eat two styles of ben and jerry's

phish food and stephen colbert's americone dream

also coffee ice cream. who else likes it besides me?

That "whirrled peace" looked nice. Was that limited edition or new flavour? I saw it advertised and never tried it. (or looked, supposed to be on one of those diet things and not eating ice cream).

Coffee * is good. Coffee ice cream, coffee sweets, coffee, coffee + liquor....

Eldan
2011-03-21, 05:23 PM
Wait...seriously?

Yes. Just doesn't seem to exist around here, I checked. None of the large producers here make any. The local "40 kinds of ice cream" bar doesn't have any either. Guess it's a thing to add to the list of things I require from England the next time my colleague over there comes back.

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-21, 05:28 PM
That "whirrled peace" looked nice. Was that limited edition or new flavour? I saw it advertised and never tried it. (or looked, supposed to be on one of those diet things and not eating ice cream).

this (http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/our-flavors/) whirled peace?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-21, 06:54 PM
The most amazing ice cream is vanilla, with chocolate and peanut butter ripples, only the peanut butter ripple bit is ACTUAL peanut butter, that ends up semi-hard, and tiny chunks of peanut butter enrobed in chocolate dropped all through the thing.

It's like an orgy in my mouth. :smallwink:

Moff Chumley
2011-03-21, 07:09 PM
Coffee ice cream. Where it's at.

Lhurgyof
2011-03-21, 08:26 PM
I had Maine Blueberry Icecream once.

Talk about amazing.

Asta Kask
2011-03-22, 06:48 AM

I like CoffeeIncluded. But not to eat.

KuReshtin
2011-03-22, 07:41 AM
I need to make a trip to 'Glassiären' in Karlskrona when I go to visit my family in the summer.
They've got cinnamon bun flavoured ice cream!!

And their ice creams are MASSIVE! Pics will be provided to verify claim.

Phishfood
2011-03-22, 08:01 AM
New Idea: order ice cream over THE INTERNET!

I will be rich!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-22, 11:31 AM
It's like an orgy in my mouth. :smallwink:

That actaully sounds like it would taste horrible.

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-22, 11:25 PM
Frozen Custard > Ice cream!

Mmmmm bananas foster frozen custard sundae...

Amiel
2011-03-23, 12:32 AM
White chocolate ice cream!?
:O
They make that? *drools*

What blasphemy is this?
The only real chocolate is milk chocolate :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-23, 12:43 AM
What blasphemy is this?
The only real chocolate is milk dark chocolate :smalltongue:
I see we are in agreement.:smalltongue: Just kidding, I love both. I don't see how White chocolate can be called chocolate. Sometimes, sometimes mind, it contains coco butter, but you know what else can contain coco butter? Skin cream. I am not calling that chocolate either.
My personal favourite ice cream is a good tin roof sundae. I am also partial to maple walnut, tiger tiger (basically licorice swirls in orange), mint chocolate, coffee, and chai tea ice-cream.
In fact, I like almost all kinds of ice-cream except most of the fruitier kinds, but cheap, no name brand vanilla ice-cream, there is something about it that is just, ugh.

Eldan
2011-03-23, 04:54 AM
Semantics.

I'm Swiss, I have the right to call "chocolate" whatever I want, and you can't argue with me. :smalltongue:

Anyway, it's convenience. I don't call it chocolate-like cocoa product of white colouration.

Of course, no cocoa butter, no chocolate. That goes without saying.

Also, if you say "milk chocolate only", you don't include black chocolate. Which also counts, and can be delicious. I got my father half a kilo of mesoamerican pure black chocolate for christmas. Damn expensive, but oh so delicious.

grimbold
2011-03-23, 05:04 AM
Rainbow ice-cream and/or Red Bull gelati is amazing the best.

red bull flavored gelati?

Killer Angel
2011-03-23, 05:04 AM
Any ice cream with the word "dark chocolate" in it. Be it "cream", or "pieces of", or whatever.

I'm Swiss, I have the right to call "chocolate" whatever I want, and you can't argue with me. :smalltongue:

Also with coocoo clocks. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-03-23, 05:11 AM
Also with coocoo clocks. :smalltongue:

Those are German, actually. We just picked them up recently to sell plastic copies to tourists. :smalltongue:

But then, our entire folklore was invented in the 19th century for pretty much that reason.

Of course, as I said, I don't actually like milk chocolate ice cream. I find it disgusting. Don't even really know why. I like solid chocolate, but most products made from it (cake, mousse, ice cream) I violently dislike.

grimbold
2011-03-23, 11:11 AM
I see we are in agreement.:smalltongue: Just kidding, I love both. I don't see how White chocolate can be called chocolate. Sometimes, sometimes mind, it contains coco butter, but you know what else can contain coco butter? Skin cream. I am not calling that chocolate either.
My personal favourite ice cream is a good tin roof sundae. I am also partial to maple walnut, tiger tiger (basically licorice swirls in orange), mint chocolate, coffee, and chai tea ice-cream.
In fact, I like almost all kinds of ice-cream except most of the fruitier kinds, but cheap, no name brand vanilla ice-cream, there is something about it that is just, ugh.

i dont think that milk chocolate is is technically chocolate either as it contains coco butter

Borgh
2011-03-23, 11:32 AM
Chili Ice cream

no seriously, its pretty good (this depends on how you make it though)

receipe:
ingredients:
some half-molten Vanilla or natural ice cream
chili sauce

take the ice cream, add chili sauce to taste, mix. Put back in freezer.

slightly spicy, well-rounded flavor omnomnow, especially with a fruit sauce.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-23, 12:32 PM
Also, if you say "milk chocolate only", you don't include black chocolate. Which also counts, and can be delicious. I got my father half a kilo of mesoamerican pure black chocolate for christmas. Damn expensive, but oh so delicious.

Does Black Chocolate = Completely Unsweetned? Because I've had some, and it was NASTY.

Telonius
2011-03-23, 12:41 PM
My personal favorite: large chocolate soft-serve, dipped in chocolate. Absolute heaven on a hot summer day. (Sprinkles optional).

Eldan
2011-03-23, 02:15 PM
Does Black Chocolate = Completely Unsweetned? Because I've had some, and it was NASTY.

Hmm. Not sure if there's a real definition, but it means no milk at all, and between 35 and 95% cacao powder. Also, from what I remember about half as much sugar as cacao. So it tends to be much darker and bitterer than milk chocolate. Some like it, some hate it.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-23, 02:34 PM
Hmm. Not sure if there's a real definition, but it means no milk at all, and between 35 and 95% cacao powder. Also, from what I remember about half as much sugar as cacao. So it tends to be much darker and bitterer than milk chocolate. Some like it, some hate it.

No milk doesn't mean no sugar, it's entirely possible I'm thinking of something else entirely.

Eldan
2011-03-23, 02:36 PM
It's not the definition, but without the milk it does tend to be much bitterer, and lower sugar content is also a part of it. And then there's what's known as cooking choclate (In German, not sure if it has an English name or what it would be), which, in addition to no milk, also has basically no sugar.

KuReshtin
2011-03-23, 03:32 PM
ICE CREAM!

From Glassiären in Karlskrona. :smallbiggrin:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kureshtin/images/IceCream.jpg

Eldan
2011-03-23, 03:41 PM
What's unusual about that? Seems standard size?

KuReshtin
2011-03-23, 03:56 PM
Not in the UK, they aren't.

Can't wait til I get back to Sweden for a visit in June. :smallcool:

Also, did I mention that they have cinnamon bun flavoured ice cream at that place?

Eldan
2011-03-23, 04:02 PM
What's the difference between that and cinnamon taste?

KuReshtin
2011-03-23, 04:19 PM
It's not just cinnamon flavour. It's cinnamon BUN flavour.
Stop ruining the mystique, you meanie.:smalltongue:
They also have After Eight flavour, Irish coffee flavour and lots of others.

Here's another one of their ice creams (not me in the picture):

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1383/1025315437_f30ab2288d.jpg

Eldan
2011-03-23, 04:20 PM
I don't think I've seen black ice cream before.

What's that? Sepia Ink?

banjo1985
2011-03-23, 04:21 PM
Here's another one of their ice creams (not me in the picture):

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1383/1025315437_f30ab2288d.jpg

I want one of those. So bad.
But trying to eat one with that titchy spoon would be like trying to murder a wrestler with a tea strainer.

KuReshtin
2011-03-23, 04:23 PM

What's that? Sepia Ink?

I believe that's their Licorice flavoured ice cream.

Demon 997
2011-03-23, 10:54 PM
So today, as I was cutting off the packaging on a new thing of ice cream, I decided to stab it through the box. Hilarity. I don't have pictures though. :smallfrown:

Mutant Sheep
2011-03-23, 11:21 PM
Vanilla is the only kind of ice cream ever! :smalltongue: I like chocolate and vanilla, basic, tasty, and best way to get brain freeze on a cold night.

golentan
2011-03-24, 02:35 AM

What's that? Sepia Ink?

I once made a black ice cream. It was honey and clove: I added coloring to get it black because for some reason the speckled variety I'd come out with on previous attempts didn't seem right. Black didn't cut it either. I love the taste, but it always seems to look weird and the texture's always off on that one.

So, yeah. I make my own ice cream with a gallon mixer. It's awesome, and lets me get all kinds of flavors not commonly available. My favorite so far has to be spiced cider: I got a whole raft of spices, baked some apples, cut them up tiny and used the juices to flavor the cream. Though Earl Grey also came out nicely.

Eldan
2011-03-24, 03:50 AM
Hmm. Gotta try earl grey. I've only had green tea at a sushi restaurant once, and that was delicious.

And I just remembered:
When I was little, my father once made gingerbread ice cream for christmas. Honey, cinnamon and crumbled gingerbread. Absolutely delicious.

Edit: or at least the dictionary tells me it's called gingerbread in English. Bit of research shows me that, though they share a name, German "Lebkuchen" and gingerbread really aren't all that similar.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-24, 04:55 AM
"The translator is a liar." <insert shrug here/>
I tried green tea ice cream once from Baskin-Robbins. I was a bit disappointed actually; it tasted grassy more then anything else.
Yes, I have chewed on grass, so I know what it tastes like.

super dark33
2011-03-24, 07:44 AM
Yes, I have chewed on grass.

me too,
ah yes.... the memories...

Eldan
2011-03-24, 07:51 AM
Yup, me too. Can't say my green tea ice tasted much like it, though. It did have tea flavour.

I haven't made my own ice cream in ages. Earlier experiments pretty much failed, really. Should try again.

JediSoth
2011-03-29, 08:28 AM

I've found chocolate with between 60% - 70% cocoa content to be the perfect ratio for me. A higher cocoa content than that makes it too bitter for my taste. Less takes away that snap I enjoy when I bite into it, plus, it just doesn't taste as delectable.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-29, 10:12 AM
Yup, me too. Can't say my green tea ice tasted much like it, though. It did have tea flavour.

Ah well, I never liked Green tea much anyway, it lacked the tongue furring tannins of a strong, bold, black tea.
Anything else is just hot leaf juice to me I guess.:smallbiggrin:
Ice cream? Well, when I have chocolate ice-cream, I like mixing in a little cinnamon, and maybe some nutmeg, I find it adds a nice spiciness. Oh, and I prefer bowls over cones, though with cones you can bite off the bottom and slurp it up that way. Don't try that with a bowl, trust me.

Dvandemon
2011-03-29, 10:27 AM
I love all forms of chocolate and cookie dough ice cream and I'm addicted to birthday cake ice cream. I remember when I was younger, when I would stir my ice cream in the bowl to make it soft and smooth. I love ice cream milkshakes, root beer floats and Dibs. What do you people think of Cold Stone?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-29, 10:23 PM
Hmm. Gotta try earl grey. I've only had green tea at a sushi restaurant once, and that was delicious.

And I just remembered:
When I was little, my father once made gingerbread ice cream for christmas. Honey, cinnamon and crumbled gingerbread. Absolutely delicious.

Edit: or at least the dictionary tells me it's called gingerbread in English. Bit of research shows me that, though they share a name, German "Lebkuchen" and gingerbread really aren't all that similar.

No, Lebkuchen and gingerbread aren't similar at all, except perhaps in texture, if you don't put the peel and nuts in the lebkuchen. Lebkuchen is much better than gingerbread.

Scarlet Knight
2011-03-30, 09:26 PM
this (http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/our-flavors/) whirled peace?

Oooh Chunky Monkey is good too! But Haagen Daz has a Swiss Vanilla Almond, where it's vanlla with almonds, but each almond in dipped in chocolate, that's mouthgasmic!

THAC0
2011-03-30, 11:42 PM
Penn State creamery is where it's at! Mmm, peanut butter swirl and teaberry ice cream!

For all you Ben and Jerry's fans, where do you think they learned their mad skillz? Penn State!

However, since I am across the country, I had to find a substitute. The closest I've gotten is a little trailer in Fairbanks, open only during the summer, which does frozen custard brownie sundaes. Yum!