PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and reasons for drinking

Delorges
2011-03-22, 11:12 AM
Okay folks, just had a little fight with my parents, and my first action back in my room is to empty the bottle of mullet wine that stood under my desk (it was only half to a third full anyway, so no worrys there). As I find myself slightly inebriated I got curious and wondered: why do people drink? Why do people drink alcohol, that is.
Does it make one feel better? I for myself can't say that alcohol really lightens or changes my mood significantly, yet I find myself drinking when I'm depressed or down or angry because of something. It doesn't really make sense - I don't feel better when drunk. Neither worse, for that matter, and even hangovers were never a huge problem. I just have something in the back of mind, that if there are so many people out there trying to drown their sorrows in alcohol (even if those bastards can swim, I know, I know), it has to do something to make you feel better, even if only for the short term.

So yeah, basically... Why do I drink? Why do you drink (if you do, that is)?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-22, 11:16 AM
I actually keep a bottle of really good whiskey in my room for when I get depressed. Not 'cause I drink it, but, rather, because I really love good whiskey and it helps me get over myself if I can get it out, know it's there, and then choose to not have any. Sort of a willpower thing. Works for me.

Other than that...I'll drink at parties, or have a drink or two on an evening if I'm feeling in the mood, but most of my non-meal related drinking stems from high spirits (pardon the pun). Occasionally I'll have a bit if I'm down but not depressed: just having a bad day or something. Alcohol in general puts me in a frame of mind similar to the one I get after performing a really good Improv Comedy show, so it's a sort of energetic, enthusiastic, crazy sort of energy level that tends to leave me smiling.

The key part, however, is that the booze isn't what gets me to that point. It just loosens me up a bit. If I ever start drinking as a crutch to be happy...well...that's when I give up the stuff for good. :smallbiggrin:

And, because someone always asks, no, I don't drink gin and tonics, despite the obvious name correlation. :smalltongue:

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-22, 11:47 AM
Alcohol is a drug.
Humans (and most mammalian creatures) love them some drugs.

Therefore, humans drink alcohol.

Well, that was easy! Next question.

Haruki-kun
2011-03-22, 11:50 AM
Alcohol helps you forget. For a few hours it makes people feel like everything's gonna be OK.

Syka
2011-03-22, 11:56 AM
I think people think if I'm drinking, I'll be happy.

I, personally, don't partake. It's expensive, alcohol tastes bad to me (no matter how covered by fruffy girly drinks), I don't want to get drunk or even tipsy, and there is a risk that it could trigger a medical condition*. No problem with people who do, just not for me.

Although I may partake in some wine this summer. We'll be in Italy for a bit and...well...I can't see going without at least TRYING it. But even then, it's won't be "drinking". It will be choosing a beverage that fits the meal, culture, and is cheaper than soda. :smallwink:

*I've had limited (ie, mouthful or two) quantities of alcohol in various forms (wine, Bailey's on ice, some fruffy girlie pineapple type drink, etc) with no ill effect. I don't really want to test my limit to see if alcohol actually IS a trigger, though.

Incompleat
2011-03-22, 12:01 PM
I like the flavour, really: as far as I am concerned, no dinner is complete without a glass of good wine - lately, I have also been developing a taste for certain beers, but - at least in my experience - combining beers with food in non-horribly-clashing ways is harder than doing the same for wine (this may really depend on the kind of cuisine that I like, though).

I don't really get the point of getting drunk, though - after a while, you become more or less incapable of perceiving the tastes, and then why keep drinking?

Finally, I kinda feel bad for admitting it, but I must recognize that in social situations a beer or a glass of wine really helps in making me more talkative and engaged with others - that is kind of annoying, even though I am not really dependent on it in any sense: I should be able to be exactly as sociable as I want to be with or without chemical stimulation.

Natael
2011-03-22, 12:01 PM
As said previously, the tipsy feeling is nice. Though I prefer not to get trashed. Also, I love beer, so just having one while cooking or to relax on the weekend is nice (and depending on the beer, can give a little buzz on just one).

Incompleat
2011-03-22, 12:03 PM
Although I may partake in some wine this summer. We'll be in Italy for a bit and...well...I can't see going without at least TRYING it.

In which region? I may or may not be able to give recommendations for wines :)

Dr.Epic
2011-03-22, 12:04 PM
If you're a viking, drinking's as natural as pillaging.

Syka
2011-03-22, 12:09 PM
In which region? I may or may not be able to give recommendations for wines :)

Not sure on the exact location, yet. We're leaning towards the Naples region, though. Hit up Pompeii and all that jazz, plus part of my family emigrated from the region. Might take a day or so in Rome.

Feel free to make suggestions on both wine and location. I may not actually try any wine, but suggestions don't hurt. :smallsmile:

skywalker
2011-03-22, 12:33 PM
If you're a viking, drinking's as natural as pillaging.

When I come back from a mighty quest... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o05xPuZF2I8)

Anyway...

Obrysii
2011-03-22, 12:38 PM
I enjoy the flavor of beer, and find my creativity spikes when I've had a slight amount of alcohol.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-22, 12:40 PM
I've been practicing poetry for a couple of years now, and I've found I'm most unrestrained when my brain is impaired due to alcohol or sleep deprivation.

Granted, my handwriting becomes illegible and majority of what is written is actually unusable dreck, but I write a lot faster, meaning a larger amount of usable images and lines (around which to build a poem) show up.

Probably not healthy, but eh.

golentan
2011-03-22, 12:43 PM
I don't drink socially or for recreational purposes. The only times I really drink is when there's really good wine and someone else is driving (though it takes me like an hour to finish one glass, and I resent that alcohol is involved in my lovely tasty beverage), or when I'm alone late at night and am feeling down in the dumps.

I know that latter one sounds horrible, but I'm not talking a lot: the equivalent of half a bottle of beer, say, is my usual limit. I have trouble relaxing enough to sleep when there aren't other people nearby, and it gets worse if I'm worried about something. Sleeping pills are absolutely out of the question, so I take a little snifter and it acts as a depressant long enough for me to go visit dreamland, usually.

Telonius
2011-03-22, 12:45 PM
Assuming that it's in moderation, drinking the "good stuff," never ever operating a vehicle afterwards, and not when I'm sick, hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? It's really nice. Relaxing, sociable, occasionally hilarious. Tastes good, gives you a nice feeling. But if anything in that first sentence is off, drinking is a very big "no" for me.

Minor exception on the "sick" - I usually keep a bit of scotch in the house for medicinal purposes. (No, seriously - it seems to help when I start getting an allergy-related sore throat, and gives me less of a hangover than Benadryl).

Mauve Shirt
2011-03-22, 12:46 PM
Some people just enjoy the taste, others enjoy the sensation of being drunk/tipsy.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-22, 12:47 PM
Some people just enjoy the taste, others enjoy the sensation of being drunk/tipsy.

And some enjoy both (well, tipsy, anyway). :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2011-03-22, 01:12 PM
And some enjoy both (well, tipsy, anyway). :smallbiggrin:

I enjoy both.

But yeah, being tipsy's fun, but being so drunk you can't stand is not. I've never gotten to the point where I can't stand, but I've gotten fairly far, and it's not enjoyable. At all.

Also, needless to say: Don't drink and drive. Don't drink and type.

I have a rule: If I'm in no condition to drive, I'm in no condition to post. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 01:20 PM
I drink because I'm white, and physically incapable of dancing (which I love), without at least getting about 1/2 way through my first beer. I don't have to be sobaly titfaced to do it, but I find that my movements are much more fluid and relaxed and I have more fun when I've had a drink.

Relevant poster is relevant:
http://www.simonreed.me/Open_Web/PubRateProto/images/beer.jpg

EDIT: Also, I'm an IPA snob. I've sampled like, 70 different IPAs from both coasts and much of the midwest. I drink because I LOVE me some IPAs. Ninkasi Total Domination is my current favorite. Bitter = better!

Kneenibble
2011-03-22, 01:24 PM
Tsk, helping straight white guys dance, sugarbeet. Some of us were born with the booty.

I drink because good booze is ****ing delicious. I'm half-cut already.

Goosefeather
2011-03-22, 01:44 PM
For me, it's a social, sociable thing.

Like others have said, you have drinking for the taste of it (e.g. with meals), and you have drinking for the alcohol content. The two can overlap, of course, and in both cases it's relaxing. Conversation flows freer, and normally reserved people become more sociable.

As for going out, I often think that some clubs would be quite unbearable without one or two drinks beforehand... and yet, after a few, you don't care so much about things you would hate sober, they even become quite fun!

But the social aspect is the most important. Drinking is a bonding activity. Shots, for example, are most fun with friends; maybe there's a slight air of competition, maybe not, but the most important thing is that you're all doing it, together, and having fun. A night out where everyone had a bit too much is similar. Physically you might be hungover after, but you had a laugh with the people you were out with, and feel closer to them - maybe closer than you would have without a few drinks, because people open up with alcohol. This is partly why we have such things as 'Freshers' week' - alcohol can make it easier to make friends.

Also, some people drink for Dutch courage. Alcohol increases the likelihood of your brain saying 'whatever, let's just do it!' Obviously in excess, this can lead to bad decisions, depending on your level of self-control (personally, I sometimes let myself smoke if quite drunk, but would never, ever drive), but just one or two drinks can often give you confidence you've never learnt sober. And yes, you can gain confidence without alcohol, but it's an easy short-cut.

factotum
2011-03-22, 01:44 PM

And I DON'T drink alcohol for precisely the opposite reason--I really, really hate the taste of most alcoholic drinks, and it just got easier to explain to all my half-cut friends that I was a teetotaller than to explain I'd rather drink yak urine than beer. Therefore I stopped drinking even the few little bits I *did* like (cherry brandy at Christmas, mainly).

Obrysii
2011-03-22, 01:50 PM
EDIT: Also, I'm an IPA snob. I've sampled like, 70 different IPAs from both coasts and much of the midwest. I drink because I LOVE me some IPAs. Ninkasi Total Domination is my current favorite. Bitter = better!

I am finding that IPAs are not beers you drink, but rather that you experience. And I like that.

You'd probably enjoy Ale Asylum's Ambergeddon - a shame it's only available in Wisconsin (specifically the Madison area).

My first beer was Guinness, and to me it's become too "light"...

ZombyWoof
2011-03-22, 01:51 PM
I like the taste of alcohol. I can't stand a lot of the frilly girly drinks (appletinis are horrid) but give me a good whiskey and I'm there.

I drink in excess because it makes the rest of the world more accessible. I stop giving two ****s and when people say stupid things it doesn't bother me nearly as much... just makes everything a lot better.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-22, 02:19 PM
I'm Russian, so that's good reason enough already :smallwink:

But really, it's all been explained already. Being buzzed/tipsy feels good. It helps straight white guys dance. It makes you more fun and talkative in social situations.

And some booze tastes just that good. Decided to play it high roller one night and bought a bottle of Okanagan ice wine recently... I'd be even happier if I got to enjoy more than a few sips of it before my roommate drank all of it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-22, 02:24 PM
I drink because I'm white, and physically incapable of dancing (which I love), without at least getting about 1/2 way through my first beer. I don't have to be sobaly titfaced to do it, but I find that my movements are much more fluid and relaxed and I have more fun when I've had a drink.

Amen. I'm a damn good Lindy Hop dancer even without liquid assistance, but when I try to dance the Blues? Ye gods! A shot or two worth of liquor, however, and I'm good to go. :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2011-03-22, 02:31 PM
1) I like the taste of some drinks.
2) Eli Manning.
3) AJ Burnett
4) To keep my conversations focused while in a social setting.

Vonriel
2011-03-22, 02:39 PM
I've never really had a desire to drink. The reasons given always strike me as silly. I should drink so that I can lower my inhibitions? Why? I like being in my right frame of mind, thank you very much. ...tends to be the line of thinking I follow when I start to consider it. However, I still understand why other people do it. I suppose it's all a personal decision, and I won't condemn anyone who decides to partake.

Besides, it feels like my allies do better in player versus player settings in various online games when they're drunk, and if alcohol = greater skill, who am I to complain if I ride to victory on the shoulders of my drunken compatriots? :smalltongue:

Incompleat
2011-03-22, 02:50 PM
Not sure on the exact location, yet. We're leaning towards the Naples region, though. Hit up Pompeii and all that jazz, plus part of my family emigrated from the region. Might take a day or so in Rome.

Cool. I do not really know much about the wines of these parts, so I will not embarrass myself giving suggestions :)

As for locations, Caserta is reasonably close to Naples and well worth a visit, and perhaps Sorrento and Capri too. But really, you could spend months exploring Naples and Rome alone and you would not even scratch the surface.

A warning, though (you probably heard that already, but it bears repeating): both Naples and Rome are rife with petty scammers, and they can tell if someone is not a local. Taxis can be especially dangerous: if you take one first make sure that it's an official one, and if possible ask for a price estimate beforehand.

If someone who you don't know spontaneously starts trying to make small conversation and to play tourist guide with you, be also wary - chances are that it's only a beggar, but nasty surprises have happened. If in doubt, ignore him or her and walk away.

Naples in particular has some somewhat dangerous zones: the center is fairly safe, but it's probably better not to wander through the outskirts too much unless you know where you are going - for example, Scampia is best avoided, and I hear that the Spanish Quarters can also be a little dangerous for tourists. But I am not a local, if you have relatives or friends in Naples then they will be able to tell you much more.

Sorry, this is probably both too alarmist and a bit on the obvious side, but I heard quite a lot of unpleasant stories along these lines. I never had any trouble in these cities myself, but then again had no trouble while wandering through New Delhi either - I guess I just look poor? :smallamused:

Melayl
2011-03-22, 02:54 PM
I don't drink, precisely for some of the reasons the others do (no offense to them) and more.

I can't stand the taste of 99.98% of it (fuzzy navel wine coolers and the occasional Guinness being the exception); I don't like the feeling of not being in complete control of myself (i.e. tipsy or worse); alcohol is darned expensive; most of the people that I despised while in high school drank; there's a family history of alcoholism; seeing my brother come home trashed and then watching him vomit for the next 2 hours (every time); picking up drunk, mostly-comatose college students and taking them to the hospital every month (I work on an ambulance part-time)...

There's probably more, but you get the idea. To those that drink (and are of legal age) I've got no problem with your choice. Just follow Haruki-kun's rules, please. :smallbiggrin: Also, drinking when you are depressed or angry and drinking when you are alone are both (generally) not good ideas, and can be indicators of a drinking/dependency problem. (hopefully that didn't sound preachy)

Juggling Goth
2011-03-22, 03:01 PM
I like the taste of good beer. You can identify good beer because it comes out of handpumps and is served slightly below room temperature. If something has to be chilled to be palatable, that is not something to be proud of. Fosters, I'm looking at you. You're only "best served cold" because you're a tankard o' moose urine and if you're served any warmer we can unfortunately taste you.

Some red wines are also nice. I don't like any spirits, and I don't like things that are too sweet, so that rules out most shooters and cocktails.

I used to drink too much to self-medicate my extreme panic and social awkwardness, but I pissed me off so I stopped doing that. Now I drink a moderate amount because it's yummy.

Incompleat
2011-03-22, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I don't really get the whole "drinking until you puke" thing. I did that once (I was young, I was stupid, and there was a bet - but mostly the second) and I remember it as one of the most thoroughly unpleasant experiences of my life.

And there are people who do that every weekend or so? For fun? :smalleek:

The Extinguisher
2011-03-22, 03:03 PM
Because drinking is fun? Going out to the bar, getting smashed, dancing and having a good time is just a blast. It's wonderful. There's nothing better. Don't get me wrong, I don't do it every night, and I don't drink by myself, but going out with friends and getting drunk can't be topped.

And hey, I'm hungover as I'm typing this.

Incompleat
2011-03-22, 03:09 PM
Fair enough. I dunno, perhaps my hangovers are particularly unpleasant for whatever reason, but judging from my limited experience... well, I was entirely useless for a whole day, my stomach was upset for a week, and it took almost a month before I could stand the smell of alcohol again.

Would not do again, and definitely not in exchange for a fun evening.

Delwugor
2011-03-22, 04:48 PM
German, Irish and Indian blood in me so I have you beat. :smallyuk:

As far as why, I like good beer, good whiskey and good tequila. I drink maybe 4-6 beers a week a shot or two of something. Maybe once a month I drink enough to actually feel it and get drunk about 3 times a year.
I never do the emotional drinking, if I can't handle the problem sober ... I just pass the problems off to Mrs. D. :smallbiggrin:

Lioness
2011-03-22, 10:23 PM
I drink with friends...never to the point where I lose control of myself physically or mentally. i.e., if I start feeling any more than tipsy, I stop. Well, I get a bit more than tipsy, but not much.

I also don't drink alone very much...save for maybe a glass of champagne with dinner.

As to why...tipsy is fun. Some alcohol also tastes pretty good. Also because I've only just reached the legal drinking age in my country and I'm curious.

Trog
2011-03-22, 10:40 PM
*stumbles in rather inebriated*
Trog drinks two drinks before Trog drinks two drinks and then Trog drinks two drinks - DRINKS TWO DRINKS! *passout*

Though seriously I honestly don't drink a lot at all, really. For the longest time I might only have a single beer in a month's time or so. More recently (past year or so I suppose) I have been enjoying an alcoholic beverage every couple of weeks I suppose.

If I'm out with friends downtown at the bars I go for a gin & tonic. At home I might have a beer or maybe a white russian now and then after a stressful day. And sometimes I'll get a bottle of riesling to go with a meal, though that's pretty rare even though it's really tasty.

As to the why, I drink while downtown with friends because it is a social thing. The gin is clear and keeps me clear of hangovers most of the time even if I have a few while sitting around and discussing life and such with friends and keeping an eye peeled for someone attractive. I drink the occasional beer or mixed drink at home to unwind. A single drink can loosen one up and some days can be tense and a drink can let one unwind without even getting a buzz at all. And the riesling just tastes awesome with a good dinner and can put me in a happy and/or affectionate mood.

Though for all this moderation a few weeks back I went out with my sister drinking rather heavily and I blacked out and didn't remember a good portion of the evening. o.O Which would explain why I was so ridiculously hung over the next morning when I awoke on her couch. I hadn't done that in years. And now I remember why. xP

Vorpalbob
2011-03-22, 11:02 PM
The first time I drank a substantial enough amount to feel it was at a cast party for a production I was in. I was there with people I had worked with for months, trusted, and it was one bus home with a friend, so I figured what better time to discover the sensation of being absolutely smashed?

As it turns out, I have a weirdly high tolerance. I was matching drinks with one of the stage crew, a 200 lb. rugby player*, and he began to lose coherency just as I felt a buzz. It was actually quite nice, once I got tipsy enough to not taste the putrid lite lager that was the only drink left. Then one of the directors started lighting up some narcotic plant matter, and then the night really took off. :smallwink:

To summarize, I drink because I love me some fine, fiery whiskey. If I do intend to lose use of my cognitive functions, I'll start with that than move to tasteless dreck. As my dad always said, "Beer then liquor, makes you sicker. Liquor then beer, have no fear." :smallcool:

*I weigh about 130.

Vonriel
2011-03-22, 11:04 PM
As my dad always said, "Beer then liquor, makes you sicker. Liquor then beer, have no fear." :smallcool:

You know, I remember Mythbusters having something to say about this quote. I can't remember what happened, exactly, though.

I do have to say that these threads/conversations are very enlightening, each time they pop up, even if the information tends to be the same each time. :smalltongue:

thorgrim29
2011-03-22, 11:16 PM

I love IPAs too (double IPAs actually), but I can't drink more then one or two before y stomach starts hating me... If you ever find some the Dieu Du Ciel! brewery in Montreal makes a very nice IPA called the "Corne du Diable".

Now then reasons for drinking:

1: Taste, I love good beer and wine, a few spirits, and I'm slowly but surely building a taste for Scotch (and rum, good rum is so underrated)

2: Getting drunk is fun when the situation is appropriate. It's just a fun feeling, and when you're having a lot of fun you can't actually feel the physical part of it before you step out of the bar, so you just feel great and don't notice the rest. Good times. It helps that I can drink ridiculous amounts of booze and be ok (except for the aforementioned beer digesting troubles, these can get pretty horrible).

So yeah, it tastes good and in the right situation being drunk is fun.

Situationally, I take a drink (usually a pale ale) after a particularly hard week or a tough exam, or after working outside all day. One rule I have is never get drunk alone (tried that once, for no particular reason, but coming out of a buzz alone and without having had any fun is not a good way to pass a few hours)

Moff Chumley
2011-03-22, 11:34 PM
Tsk, helping straight white guys dance, sugarbeet. Some of us were born with the booty.

Kneen knows where it's at.

Also, cheap vodka has a sort of zen quality to it, you know?

Crow
2011-03-23, 12:29 AM
I don't drink, precisely for some of the reasons the others do (no offense to them) and more.

I can't stand the taste of 99.98% of it (fuzzy navel wine coolers and the occasional Guinness being the exception); I don't like the feeling of not being in complete control of myself (i.e. tipsy or worse); alcohol is darned expensive; most of the people that I despised while in high school drank; there's a family history of alcoholism; seeing my brother come home trashed and then watching him vomit for the next 2 hours (every time); picking up drunk, mostly-comatose college students and taking them to the hospital every month (I work on an ambulance part-time)...

There's probably more, but you get the idea. To those that drink (and are of legal age) I've got no problem with your choice. Just follow Haruki-kun's rules, please. :smallbiggrin: Also, drinking when you are depressed or angry and drinking when you are alone are both (generally) not good ideas, and can be indicators of a drinking/dependency problem. (hopefully that didn't sound preachy)

Seconded, for pretty much all the same reasons. Having to raise myself and my little sister due to familial alcoholism has a little something to do with it too.

It's interesting being a person who does not partake at all. I've watched more people than I can count go from "social drinker" and progress very slowly (almost imperceptibly) to the point where they can't have fun or feel good about themselves without it.

ZombyWoof
2011-03-23, 02:05 AM
One other great reason for drinking: Lady Gaga + Vlad + Booze = ZombyWoof Wins

Seconded, for pretty much all the same reasons. Having to raise myself and my little sister due to familial alcoholism has a little something to do with it too.

This strikes me as "I won't drive because I have a friend who got into a car wreck" which could go as far as "I won't get into a relationship because I have a friend who got cheated on." I respect it but I just want to warn you that swearing off on something because someone else doesn't know how to handle it... isn't usually wise.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it."

Incompleat
2011-03-23, 02:20 AM
This strikes me as "I won't drive because I have a friend who got into a car wreck" which could go as far as "I won't get into a relationship because I have a friend who got cheated on." I respect it but I just want to warn you that swearing off on something because someone else doesn't know how to handle it... isn't usually wise.

The degree of susceptibility to alcoholism is in part due to genetic factors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism#Causes).

Hence, if one's family has a history of alcoholism, being extra wary when it comes to drinking sounds perfectly sensible to me - especially given the risks.

golentan
2011-03-23, 02:22 AM
The degree of susceptibility to alcoholism is partially genetic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism#Causes).

Hence, if one's family has a history of alcoholism, being extra wary when it comes to drinking sounds perfectly sensible to me - especially given the risks.

Yeah, I'm with them on this. It's one thing to tell someone else they shouldn't drink because of this or that, it's another to make an informed cost benefit analysis and decide that it's not worth it.

Juggling Goth
2011-03-23, 02:29 AM

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it."

No, it's pretty smart if there's a family history of alcoholism. Partly it's people learning bad habits, but partly it's hereditary. It's not about censorship or avoidance; it's about knowing and managing your risk factors.

For instance, type II diabetes runs in my family: my father has it, and his mother died from it. It's not a straight-up hereditary disease, but I know that with the family history I need to be a bit more careful than most people and watch out for the symptoms a bit more closely. Ditto with a family history of alcoholism. All the personal responsibility in the world can't change your genes.

ZombyWoof
2011-03-23, 02:45 AM
The degree of susceptibility to alcoholism is in part due to genetic factors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism#Causes).

Yes, but that's not what he said. He specifically brought up the negative aspects of alcohol. Rather than saying, "I'm genetically predisposed to alcohol therefore I'm careful" he said "alcohol ruins lives, I saw it first hand, no thanks." Different connotations: one of them paints alcohol as this thing that will ruin his life, the other says he's being cautious.

EDIT: My family is very predisposed to alcoholism. My grandfather was an alcoholic until he had to be weaned off vs. dying. My dad is an alcoholic. So I was careful when I entered it, made sure I had people set up to tell me if I was going overboard, etc.

EDIT 2:

So do you just not eat sugar ever? :smallconfused: I'm unsure how the type 2 diabetes is connected here.

Juggling Goth
2011-03-23, 03:21 AM
Yes, but that's not what he said. He specifically brought up the negative aspects of alcohol. Rather than saying, "I'm genetically predisposed to alcohol therefore I'm careful" he said "alcohol ruins lives, I saw it first hand, no thanks." Different connotations: one of them paints alcohol as this thing that will ruin his life, the other says he's being cautious.

I didn't see that in Crow's post. There was a mention of familial alcoholism, and of seeing a slippery slope happen in a bunch of other people. Which seems like perfectly good evidence for a personal choice. You've approached a similar background risk differently; that's fine, too.

So do you just not eat sugar ever? :smallconfused: I'm unsure how the type 2 diabetes is connected here.

I'm just saying, it's a thing where genetic predisposition and what you do yourself interacts, and you have to be more careful with the latter when you've got the former. (It's not a perfect analogy because the body needs glucose in a way it doesn't need alcohol, so no, I don't just avoid sugar.)

I'm a moderation girl myself, but abstinence seems a perfectly reasonable choice under the circumstances. Your post kind of came across as attacking Crow's choice, which was weird.

Innis Cabal
2011-03-23, 03:30 AM

It may be perfectly sensible, but my family also has a severe history of alcoholism, both my father and his brother, my own brother and my mother's father were alcoholics. That does not stop me from enjoying a beer every now and then or even something harder. You have to be aware, not fend it off like the plague.

Juggling Goth
2011-03-23, 03:33 AM
You have to be aware, not fend it off like the plague.

No, you have to make your own choice. I don't understand why we're debating this. What does it matter if Crow and Melayl don't drink?

ZombyWoof
2011-03-23, 03:45 AM
I have no problem with people who don't drink. I never will. I do have a problem with people who think that drinking is "wrong" or "evil."

So in a sense, the what doesn't matter but the why does. Fear is... not a good idea. Being careful, being cautious, that's ok. Being fearful is not.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-23, 03:46 AM
Amen. I'm a damn good Lindy Hop dancer even without liquid assistance, but when I try to dance the Blues? Ye gods! A shot or two worth of liquor, however, and I'm good to go. :smallbiggrin:

I'm impressed. I've seen Lindy Hop dancers and it looks really hard. I'm a cheat dancer, I dance Ceroc, which looks complicated and hard but is really easy.

This is one of the reasons I don't drink. My maternal grandfather was an abusive alcoholic (not that my mother talks about that much) and I am much more like my mother's side of the family than my fathers. I prefer not to take the chance.

Mainly though, I don't drink because I can't stand the taste of alcohol and I can taste it in pretty much anything. The only thing I've drunk that I couldn't taste the alcohol in was some lollywater thing with vodka in it (which was actually quite nice I'll admit, tasted like berries). Don't like the taste and don't want to run the risk of ever losing my inhibitions, I rather like them where they are. I also don't really understand the mentality I see around that says "I need to be drinking to have fun" because I've never needed it to enjoy myself. I can understand drinking because you enjoy it, but I don't understand the feeling that you can't have fun unless you're drinking.

Also though, on the few times that I have had something to drink, I've discovered that I seem to have a pretty high tolerance for someone who doesn't drink at all. I prefer not to tempt fate.

Most of my friends do drink, but they all seem to do it because they enjoy the taste (one friend is a bit of a wine fiend) and because they find it enjoyable. Fair enough :smallsmile:

Killer Angel
2011-03-23, 03:56 AM
To me?
I like the taste, so I drink for the flavour (a glass of wine, or a tip of something superalcoholic). A little tipsy, every once in a while (5 or 6 times / year) can be fun. Drunk isn't fun.

But the taste is all. Some peoples like more beer, some wine, there are lots of differences between superalcoholics, and so on.

ZombyWoof
2011-03-23, 04:36 AM
To me?
I like the taste, so I drink for the flavour (a glass of wine, or a tip of something superalcoholic).
Just so you are aware, your average glass of wine is 13% alcohol by volume. I'd say the average "glass of wine" is 1/2 a cup or 4oz of wine, which is .52 oz of alcohol. A shot of whiskey (40% by volume) is 1 oz, or .4 oz of alcohol. Beer hovers around 5% and comes in (usually) 12oz, which is .6 oz of alcohol.

Yeah, your typical glass of wine or typical beer has as much or more alcohol than a shot of whiskey. Granted mixed drinks contain much more than 1 shot, but it's definitely drink for thought.

Especially since in our "health" class they taught us that 1 beer = 1 shot = 1 glass of wine. Basic math tells me I'd rather drive after 3 shots than 3 budweisers (though to be fair I'd rather be shot 3 times than drink 3 buds) (and to be even more fair I do not drive if I've had any alcohol at all, state limit be damned I don't want to be bothered by counting) so you were WRONG teacher!

I don't bring this up to say that you're wrong, just that watch the "superalcoholic" :smallwink: It can lead you to a bad scenario where you think you've had less (or more) to drink than you've had!

EDIT: Figured out why people drink natty ice... 6% by vol compared to 5. Wow.

EDIT2:The process by which beer is made is so cool. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oax3cUFsBSw&feature=player_embedded)

Killer Angel
2011-03-23, 04:59 AM
Just so you are aware, your average glass of wine is 13% alcohol by volume. I'd say the average "glass of wine" is 1/2 a cup or 4oz of wine, which is .52 oz of alcohol. A shot of whiskey (40% by volume) is 1 oz, or .4 oz of alcohol. Beer hovers around 5% and comes in (usually) 12oz, which is .6 oz of alcohol.

Yeah, your typical glass of wine or typical beer has as much or more alcohol than a shot of whiskey.

Oh yes, I'm aware of that, I wasn't putting the things on equal level. :smallsmile:

Basic math tells me I'd rather drive after 3 shots than 3 budweisers (though to be fair I'd rather be shot 3 times than drink 3 buds)

When I had to drive, I don't drink, so the problem is solved. :smallbiggrin:
But yeah, 3 beers are probably worse than 3 shots, for driving, but neither of them is good for the task.
(that said, different peoples, drinking the same amount of alcohol, can mantain different level of awareness. But it's not an excuse for drink and drive)

Eadin
2011-03-23, 06:59 AM
I'm Belgian, 'nuff said (There's a reason legal drinking age here is 16)
Plus spirits are yummy things that happen to have alcohol in it.
Helps me dance better too :smallcool:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-23, 12:00 PM
I like the flavour, I like to drink and to feel slightly tipsy (though for some reason I have been wanting to get drunk for a few weeks now); and it helps me to get over my natural shyness, so I am mostly a social drinker (not that I go to bars regularly).

And as far as my preferences go, I like dark beers and spirits (my favourite drink is Tequila)

golentan
2011-03-23, 12:05 PM
Yeah... zombywoof you seem to be reading way too much into other people's posts, and are coming off kind of aggressive. Kind of the way I'd come off if I took your example as supporting drunk driving there, IMO.

I will say in full disclosure that I do consider alcohol use to be a moral failing well before it gets to the level of alcohol abuse, the same as I do for pretty much any drug.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-23, 12:58 PM
I enjoy waking up & having no idea what happened the night before. Piecing it together makes me feel like a detective with a headache (I tend to take random videos on my phone while drinking, makes the whole detective thing easier).

Tiger Duck
2011-03-23, 02:49 PM
I have never consumed alcohol, unless there is actual alcohol in WineGums (http://www.dutchsweets.com/images/lg_gust_winegum.jpg)
nor do I see the need to ever do it.

But that makes me so weird I have been avoiding situations were some might get offered to me. Which suited me fine till now, even if it made me kind of boring.

factotum
2011-03-23, 05:59 PM
But that makes me so weird I have been avoiding situations were some might get offered to me. Which suited me fine till now, even if it made me kind of boring.

You don't need to avoid those situations--as I said above, just say you're a teetotaller when they arise. People generally know what that means and won't press the issue.

H Birchgrove
2011-03-23, 07:33 PM
I'm a teetotaller. I might try some day in the future, but so far I don't see the point. Soft drinks are enough for me.

Beer and spirits like vodka and gin smells awful to me. When something smells bad, it usually taste bad as well (though not always; I like blue cheese). I've tried the Russian soft drink kvass which is like small beer, but it wasn't my proverbial cup of tea.

I'm allergic to sulphur and pollen so I'm probably allergic to both white and red wine, and I don't want to risk getting a rash or a swollen throat.

Funny enough, I find the process of making beer, wine, spirits etc quite interesting.

Winter_Wolf
2011-03-23, 10:59 PM
For me, alcohol is a mood enhancer*. But here's the thing: it doesn't differentiate between enhancing a positive mood or enhancing a negative mood. It is for this reason that I no longer consume alcohol unless I'm already in a good mood.

*I mean "enhance" in the sense of "strengthen" vs. "make better". :smallwink:

Edit: Also, I prefer to drink alone. Most of my good friends are borderline alcoholics, and a little belligerent if you're "not keeping up." I don't need that. Even when that's not an issue, as a social experience, I tend to drink more because I'm having a good time and it's just easier to drink more than I normally would. About the only time I really indulge is a 750 ml bottle of mead, which will get me buzzed but not drunk. Alas (or fortunately) it's so freaking expensive to buy a bottle of mead that it's a 3-4 times in a year at most activity. I'm on hiatus until I pay down my tuition, anyway.

arguskos
2011-03-24, 12:51 AM
I don't personally drink, though I used to. I don't now due to a really nasty incident I was party to (though not responsible for). The short of it is that a buddy of mine and I went to a party, he drove. I was staying sober for the drive home. He lets me know the host has his keys, and he's crashing there, so I am too. I say "hell yeah" and grab some liquor and go to town. I wake up the next day to find out that he'd lied about his keys, had driven drunk, and killed himself on accident. I swore off alcohol on the spot.

I don't believe it's wrong or anything, and I attend parties with copious amounts of liquor consumption at them, I just don't partake myself so that when something bad is about to go down, I can be the smart, sober guy who puts a stop to it and makes sure everyone's alright. Last time I lapsed, a friend died. Never again, not on my watch.

When I am in an ABSOLUTELY safe, ideal situation (such as with parents or other super-close family I don't need to worry about), I drink very sparingly. I prefer mixed drinks, my favorite being a really well-made mojito (have to have the right rum for it). I also have a signature drink, something TRULY awful that no one in their right mind should ever consume (and I've had it three times), a Black Samurai (2 parts cold sake, 1 part soy sauce, not the light stuff, has to be full sodium). Don't try it yourself, it's practically a crime. :smallwink:

skywalker
2011-03-24, 02:29 AM
Also, cheap vodka has a sort of zen quality to it, you know?

Oh friend, I do. The Zen of Cheap Vodka... Is a book might one day write...

Yeah, your typical glass of wine or typical beer has as much or more alcohol than a shot of whiskey. Granted mixed drinks contain much more than 1 shot, but it's definitely drink for thought.

Waitaminute... This depends entirely on where you are located. Shots vary across the world. In the US, a shot is 1.5 oz, not 1. In that case, you get .6 oz of alcohol from an 80 proof shot of whiskey, just like your 5% ABV beer. Wine can vary HUGELY in both ABV and serving size. This is what makes it a likely comparison, tho. They are approximately equivalent. Also, .6 oz of alcohol is defined as one drink, in the USA.

Yeah... zombywoof you seem to be reading way too much into other people's posts, and are coming off kind of aggressive. Kind of the way I'd come off if I took your example as supporting drunk driving there, IMO.

I disagree. I think zombywoof made a decent point (a point that I eventually logically made to myself which led to me choosing to drink after years of teetotalism) and then people started criticizing. Naturally their further posts on the matter will be a bit more aggressive/pugnacious because they feel the need to defend themselves.

I'm allergic to sulphur and pollen so I'm probably allergic to both white and red wine, and I don't want to risk getting a rash or a swollen throat.

I share your allergies and am curious as to why they would affect one's consumption of wine. I've never had any problems... And I love wine.

For me, alcohol is a mood enhancer*. But here's the thing: it doesn't differentiate between enhancing a positive mood or enhancing a negative mood. It is for this reason that I no longer consume alcohol unless I'm already in a good mood.

I know this one.

I also have a signature drink, something TRULY awful that no one in their right mind should ever consume (and I've had it three times), a Black Samurai (2 parts cold sake, 1 part soy sauce, not the light stuff, has to be full sodium). Don't try it yourself, it's practically a crime. :smallwink:

Challenge accepted.

For my part, I'm rather cognizant of societal pressures both to drink and not drink, and I try to resist both. I don't often see drinking as an accomplishment as some do, although I will admit to doing some drinking "as a feat." (see above) Then again, I've done some heavy lifting as a feat, etc. As I will discuss in a minute, I am typically (even drunk) able to tell when I am capable of something and when the "challenge" is just some jerk getting sadistic pleasure from my being hurt, and avoid the latter.

I know a lot of people who don't drink because they don't want to lose their inhibitions, and I know a lot of people who don't like to be around me drunk because I lose my inhibitions and they like their friends inhibited, I guess. For my part, I'm a guy who tends to overthink things and puts a lot of thought into making other people happy and what people will think of me when I do "X." What alcohol does for me, then, is it cuts out the little guy running around pulling levers in my brain. Not only does it generally put me in a zen-like state where I'm more charming than my charm-focused sober self, it also puts me in touch with my true self in a more direct manner than I can usually achieve while sober. Losing inhibitions is usually something I regard as a good thing. Breaking the illusion of our control over our surroundings is really just telling the truth.

That said, there may be some level of drunk I haven't reached where one is totally disconnected from the real world. At least in my experience, I have always been able to be serious if the situation required or if I was feeling particularly serious, always at a moment's notice. This has been true no matter the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

One thing that specifically stands out in my mind as a positive benefit of alcohol consumption is sex: while drunk I've slept with women I never would have slept with sober, and turned down women I never would have turned down sober. The takeaway here is that my intoxication allowed me to cut past the "you shouldn't do this because X" or "you should do this because X" that normally has a significant impact on my decision-making process and put my wants and needs in charge.

Innis Cabal
2011-03-24, 02:39 AM
Black Samurai (2 parts cold sake, 1 part soy sauce, not the light stuff, has to be full sodium). Don't try it yourself, it's practically a crime. :smallwink:

Accepted, beaten, will do so again. :smallwink:

Frozen_Feet
2011-03-24, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I don't really get the whole "drinking until you puke" thing. I did that once (I was young, I was stupid, and there was a bet - but mostly the second) and I remember it as one of the most thoroughly unpleasant experiences of my life.

And there are people who do that every weekend or so? For fun? :smalleek:
The weirdest thing is when they brag about it afterwards, like it's some great achievement. "Man, I was soooo wasted, I almost puked my innards out! Har har har!" I don't recall any smart people bragging about having an upset stomach otherwise.

Maybe. But the thing with alcohol is, in its case, you aren't really losing anything.

Sure, alcohol can make you loosen up, or make "white guys better dancers". However, more than half of that is psychosomatic - you could as well tell people they're drinking alcohol when they're really not, and you'd achieve similar results. There are myriad ways to achieve the same without presence of toxic and potentially addicting substance.

The rest is mostly illusion, caused by alcohol. It has this funny quality of making you think you're better at everything even when objectively, all your skills are going down. Looking at even slightly tipsy people with wholly sober eyes, they often seem less suave, smart or charming than if they'd been sober. They're just less likely to pick it up themselves.

---

Overall, the main purpose of drinking alcohol I see in society today is that it's supposed to be an excuse to get together; to loosen social athmosphere and allow people to relax and have fun with each other. Unfortunately, too often getting together becomes an excuse to drink alcohol.

Me, I rarely, almost never, drink. When visiting a wineyard, or if someone orders a bottle of darn expensive wine in a restaturant, I might drink one glass to see if it's good. But if someone offers me a can of beer or something, I just politely decline. In bars, I just drink coffee, or orange juice.

I don't have a huge problem with others drinking. If someone asks me to, I can, out of politeness, buy them a drink. But when I do that, I also reserve the right to say "I think you've had enough for today" to whoever that person is.

KenderWizard
2011-03-24, 05:49 AM

Irish. :smallsmile: We have a kinship, my friend.

*I mean "enhance" in the sense of "strengthen" vs. "make better". :smallwink:

I'm pretty sure that's how alcohol WORKS. That's why I really don't get why people drink it to make themselves feel better. Okay, so sometimes I've been in a bad mood, and ended up having a great night out, but that's because I'm with my friends, who cheered me up. Drinking the same amount of, say, neat whiskey (my usual) in my living room, I suspect would just make me angry, unhappy, and a bit of an alcoholic.

I drink. Hard not to, here. I have three friends (and a few other people I know) who don't drink: two for religious reasons (one Muslim, one Christian), the other as a personal choice. He doesn't want to lose control. The Muslim girl goes out, and just doesn't drink. She smokes and dances. The Christian girl and the other guy rarely go out. She's a pioneer, and while I'm totally cool with choosing not to drink, praying for those who are foolishly misled by the devil into doing so is a bit much, if you ask me. I suppose it's with good intentions.

In Ireland, anyway, avoiding alcohol is a bit like avoiding food. Except probably harder, because if you were avoiding food, you could always go to the pub! Young teens go "knacker drinking", which is drinking whatever they can get their hands on, in a field. Some, but not all of them. Older teens start with the fake IDs - usually taking an older sibling's. A majority will have started drinking before legal age, at 18. It's very hard to find social events that don't involve drinking at college. Even the societies usually kick off the year with drinks parties, pub crawls, etc. We don't have table quizzes, we have pub quizzes. When I meet one of my aunts or someone like that, we don't go for coffee, we go for a drink. "Do you want a drink?" always means alcohol. People talk shop in the pub, you'll probably miss out on deals and decisions if you're never there. Soft drinks are much more expensive than beer, for the volume you get, at the bar. If you want to be a totally accepted alcoholic, Ireland is the place to be! (Seriously, though, it's a huge problem here.)

Personally, I go out and drink my whiskey. Not every day, and I've recently been on medicine where I've had to cut down. I tried cutting out alcohol altogether, but it's really bleedin hard. (See above!) I get properly drunk maybe a few times a year, but I've never forgotten a night, nor had a real hangover. I have thrown up, but not often, and I throw up pretty easily generally, so I'm alright with it. Myself and my boyfriend look after each other. I always drink water while I'm drinking and before I go to bed, and I only drink when I'm happy and happy to.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2011-03-24, 06:53 AM
I learned a powerful lesson years ago about alcohol, and why some choose to drink when they're upset. As stated previously, alcohol is a drug. One of the most damaging, legal drugs out there, I might add. It's categorization is actually "depressant," even though more than a few people use it to "improve" their moods.

What I learned is that it's a form of self-medicating. Those with mental illness who delve into alcohol to resolve their emotional issues often find their bodies growing dependent on the stuff, creating an entirely new can of worms with which to contend. It lowers inhibitions, skewers judgment, alters perspective, knocks off a few thousand brain cells, and damages the liver. In time. reliance on alcohol to resolve emotional issues has great potential to lead to alcoholism, which IS a disease.

My worst encounter with alcoholism involves a roommate at a boarding house. I'd never seen anything like it in my entire life. At the start of each month, he would receive his Social Security check and start drinking. For the next two weeks, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, he would be fall-down drunk. He'd been at it for so long that he would start turning yellow in the skin and eyes, meaning that his liver was on the cusp of giving up.

He was also the reason why I ended up with PTSD. While he was drunk, another housemate laid into him, beating him rather badly. I was present when it happened. The alcoholic housemate confused events in his head, waited until I went to sleep...and then took a wooden club to my head. It was 2 July 2002, 2:30 AM...seven days before my birthday.

As a result, I find anything beyond light social drinking to be disturbing. I, myself, haven't had a drink in over five years.

Frozen_Feet
2011-03-24, 07:32 AM
She's a pioneer, and while I'm totally cool with choosing not to drink, praying for those who are foolishly misled by the devil into doing so is a bit much, if you ask me. I suppose it's with good intentions.

I prefer telling people face to face. Cutting out the middle man and all that jazz, no need to pester someone else of a thing I can do myself. :smalltongue:

Seriously, your experienve of social pressure are pretty similar to what I've seen in Finland. Teenagers start drinking before legal age, because it's a "cool thing that adults do". Partying and booze go together to the point that some people can't fathom one without the other.

I've personally been into parties where people had their moods ruined just because I didn't drink. They took it as a sign that I wasn't having fun, and it depressed their inebriated minds. Often I hear something akin to "hey, let's get FF drunk" - I find the very idea disturbing, but I understand it's just because they want me to have fun, too.

Like said - drinking is supposed to be an excuse to get together. Too often getting together becomes an excuse for drinking.

Form
2011-03-24, 08:02 AM
It's generally used as a social lubricant. Alcohol lowers inhibitions and even relatively small amounts tend to make people more talkative, which is why it's often consumed in social situations such as parties.

That's alright I guess if kept within reasonable limits. On one hand I don't really like the idea of using alcohol to talk (although I have to admit I have done exactly this), on the other hand there shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't drink too much and don't become reliant on it. If you start saying/doing stupid/inappropriate things, you've had too much. Fortunately I've managed to steer clear of that.

And to repeat what others have said before me, using alcohol for self-medication is a very bad idea. It's just another way of running away from problems rather than dealing with them and if done regularly will result in a dependency on it. If you already have problems then the last thing you need is some alcoholism on top of that.

Thialfi
2011-03-24, 08:40 AM
Drinking is a lot like sex.

Both can cause all kinds of problems, but we keep coming back to them because they feel so good.

Frozen_Feet
2011-03-24, 09:13 AM
Drinking is a lot like sex.

Both can cause all kinds of problems, but we keep coming back to them because they feel so good.

Sure. But as fun as throwing analogues around is, it's good to keep in mind the real-life differences.

It's possible to have lots and lots of sex in a manner that's not only safe, but improves your overall health. It's impossible to have lots and lots of alcohol without making yourself sick.

rakkoon
2011-03-24, 09:15 AM
I can think of no board safe reply to that.
Let's just say that most things in life that feel good are good if you use it in moderation. Pyromancy might be an exception.

Alcohol is an extra treat for me. I'd never drink beer waiting for the train but a board game night with my wife just begs for a bottle of wine.

Frozen_Feet
2011-03-24, 09:35 AM
Oh? Why is that?

In any case, I agree that most, if not all, things can be good in moderation. But a great variety of things "can cause all kinds of problems, but we keep coming back to them because they feel so good." That doesn't mean they're all equally good choices, or equal in any other manner.

rakkoon
2011-03-24, 09:48 AM
It's all a mind set. I don't drink every day because that would be bad for my weight/health/etc. So when I do, it makes the moment more special.
A bit like wearing a tie. When my wife and I go have our Valentine dinner we both dress up. There is no reason I should wear a tie but because she rarely sees me in one I wear one and that makes the occasion more special.

At the other hand:
Let's say I know a few people who have had their lives ruined or severely influenced by alcohol. I once tried not drinking for a month to prove a point. It was extremely hard because it is down right rude to keep refusing a drink from ageing grandmothers. I have no idea why but they take it personally :smallsmile:. If I had never drunk before or was in AA then I'd have an excuse, now just not wanting it was not an excuse apparently.

H Birchgrove
2011-03-24, 09:57 AM
I share your allergies and am curious as to why they would affect one's consumption of wine. I've never had any problems... And I love wine.

The articles I find on the subject seem to agree with you... I've previously heard and read that the sulphites and/or histamines in wine can cause allergic reactions. :smallsigh:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0887/is_n6_v15/ai_18475212/

http://www.morethanorganic.com/sulphur-in-wine

http://www.drinkingandyou.com/site/uk/health/allergy.htm

http://www.wineintro.com/glossary/h/histamines.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

toasty
2011-03-24, 12:25 PM
Alcohol is interesting. I don't have the money to go out and buy the expensive stuff for my own use, but I've drank at parties and such.

I've decided I won't ever drink cheap beer, because it tastes like, yes, it tastes like piss. No one I know has ever offered me anything but the cheapest crap in terms of Wine. However, I have had some hard spirits I really don't mind. Gin, you see, is actually pretty interesting. Tequila ... I need to experiment with the expesnive stuff, but I basically don't think it's that good. I need to have more than 8 Dollar bottles of vodka before I decide on that stuff. I don't think I'll ever like Whiskey.

But, I drink because I like the taste and being somewhat buzzed at a party. Its fun. But that doesn't mean that I go out to get smashed. I haven't even had much in the way of alcohol since Christmas break (going to parties... not really worth it for me it seems). I don't see the point in getting smashed because, yeah, I'd like to remember everything and at least have some level of inhibitions. Plus, I've had cousins deal with Alcohol and Drug Abuse and no, I don't want to make my parents go through what they went through (yeah, running away to live with my girlfriend's family cuz my family is refusing to pay for my education until I sober up is not exactly my cup of tea).

Weezer
2011-03-24, 12:46 PM
I drink for two very different reasons: because it tastes really good and because it slows down my thinking.

I really enjoy a good glass of scotch, or a quality IPA/microbrew. Drinking for the pure pleasure of the flavor probably makes up most of my drinking and generally doesn't involve actually getting drunk.

The other, less healthy reason that I drink is to slow me down. I tend to brood on things to go over and over things that are bothering me, thinking about what I should do, what I could've done etc, and this gets be depressed/nonfunctional relatively fast. In these situations I drink to slow me down, to get out of that cycle and get me focusing on more trivial things. This sometimes works and sometimes just pushes me deeper into depression. Thankfully I've been able to avoid needing to drink in this way lately.

Incompleat
2011-03-24, 12:48 PM
Seriously, your experienve of social pressure are pretty similar to what I've seen in Finland. Teenagers start drinking before legal age, because it's a "cool thing that adults do". Partying and booze go together to the point that some people can't fathom one without the other.

How can they even afford to do that?

I am visiting Finland right now, and golly, alcoholic drinks are insanely expensive here compared to the rest of the known universe - I mean, six euros for a glass of beer? Really?

Syka
2011-03-24, 01:20 PM
As a teetotaler due to the reasons I expressed before, I've experienced a good deal of pressure to drink. My friends have never, to my knowledge, been pressured NOT to drink unless they were overboard*. The response to the person not drinking because of alcoholic parents, I think, was inappropriate. I didn't get the impression they were saying all drinking is bad, just their negative experience combined with family history made alcohol distasteful to them. I did not see them pass judgement on the good/evil of alcohol. Just what it did within their family.

It's not as bad now that I've been legally able to drink for three years now, but still happens. Just a few weeks back one of my managers found out I don't drink, nor have I ever had more than a sip at a time. She stated her goal was now to get me drunk, only half jokingly. This was AT work.

The best way to avoid the pressure, I've found, is to explain my medical condition. People do NOT accept that I don't like the taste, don't want to get tipsy even, nor do I want my inhibitions lowered**. They just don't. My boyfriend drinks because of bad associations (his childhood and such), and people gave him flack for the longest time. I don't even bother explaining the family history of alcoholism and my mom's experiences at my age where she blacked out- several times, after not much (she'd drank heavily prior to that...after the first few times, she stopped drinking except sparingly).

It's not even like we make people feel bad for drinking! We're perfectly willing to go to parties with alcohol, even ones where getting drunk seems to be the focus. Outside of our close friends, a good deal of people seem to feel like if someone isn't drinking, then it's awkward*** and the other person MUST drink. I just don't get why people feel the need to grill me about why I don't drink, and have I tried this, and oh you have to try this! when I have never made comment on their alcohol consumption habits.

*One friend a lot of us were concerned was an alcoholic. He was only 20 at the time. :smallfrown: Thankfully, he's gotten a lot better over the last few years. As far as I know now, he doesn't drink alone as much now and drinks in a lot more moderation.

**The way I see, I loosen up a lot anyway, particularly around people I'm comfortable with. Like, a lot. Any inhibitions I have are probably there for a reason and removing them would likely result in regret.

***Even my MOM had this happen to her recently. A friend wanted to drink some good alcohol with her. She declined, since the last few times she's drank it's given her killer headaches for a few days afterwards. He no longer wanted to hang out. :smallannoyed:

Frozen_Feet
2011-03-24, 01:32 PM
How can they even afford to do that?

I am visiting Finland right now, and golly, alcoholic drinks are insanely expensive here compared to the rest of the known universe - I mean, six euros for a glass of beer? Really?

Beer is cheap when bought from a mall at vast quantities. Generally, they bribe older sibling or associates to buy it for them. When a dozen or so teenagers put their weekly allowance together, sure enough they can get enough to get drunk.

But even sadder part is, many of them can't afford it, yet try to do so anyways. Both in vocational institute and in army, I noticed many people around me were constantly broke. Reason? Obscene amounts of money spent on alcohol during weekends.

It bites many of them in the ass later.

Dvandemon
2011-03-24, 01:47 PM
Alcohol helps you forget. For a few hours it makes people feel like everything's gonna be OK.

Alcohol also inhibits the frontal lobe, making your "true self" come out

Erloas
2011-03-24, 02:07 PM
I pretty much agree with Syka on this.(which seems to be a fairly regular occurrence actually)

I've never really found much alcohol that I like, and about the only stuff I have found that I like, why I like them has nothing to do with the alcohol. It just never seems worth it.

I've also found that while it does make me feel a little different it never does change much in how I act. It doesn't take much for me to feel like crap the next day. And people that are drinking tend to be rather annoying, even if I have drank some.

The biggest problem I have with it, is that its hard to find people that simply accept that you don't drink, don't want to drink, and that you are otherwise just fine without anything.
People do seem to feel awkward when they are drinking and you are not. Turning down a drink seems equivalent to rejecting the person doing the drinking/offering.

ZombyWoof
2011-03-24, 02:08 PM
Listen, Syka. There's a huge difference between "I don't want to have my inhibitions lowered" or "I don't like the taste" or "I have a medical condition" and "Every time I've seen someone drink it's ended poorly." The first three are reasons to not drink, the last one is a reason to decry drinking.

And I said it before, I'll say it again: caution is not fear. One of them you should have.

Syka
2011-03-24, 02:16 PM
So my boyfriend is an idiot because he's seen how alcohol mixes with his family and doesn't want to behave that way? Seeing how similar he and his dad are in just about other ways, him not wanting to drink isn't decrying alcohol itself.

It's decrying how alcohol makes HIS FAMILY behave.

As I said, he doesn't mind other people drinking. He chooses not to partake, himself. When you see a pattern in people with your close genes, it makes you want to be careful.

I don't see how choosing not to drink really affects anyone other than the person choosing not to drink if they are not imposing this on anyone else, nor making a moral judgement. Given he dated a girl who drank, his best friends drink, and he lived in an apartment with 4 other people (all of whom drank regularly), I don't see how he's making a value judgement.

Value judgement is when you say, "Alcohol makes people act like X, so no one should drink." Not "I've seen what alcohol can do and decide not to participate because I don't want to risk it."

Alarra
2011-03-24, 02:35 PM
I drink because I enjoy the taste (that is, the taste of froofy girl drinks and white russians, yum....I can't stand most beer) and like the talkativeness that a few drinks bring out in me, as I am normally more reserved than I like. I also kinda like that 'tipsy' feeling.

I was getting rather into wine for awhile, as I worked at an olive garden for several years, so constantly had to sample different wines, was going to wine festivals and tastings and everything, until about 4? years ago when I developed what I can best describe as an allergy to the stuff. It's actually rather odd. I'd always had a rather high alcohol tolerance, particularly for someone who didn't drink all that often. I went to a wine festival one weekend, drank a lot with no ill effects, had a good time, etc. The next weekend I drank far more pisco than is ever a good idea. It was not a good experience. After that, it seemed my body just said 'No. Not letting you do that to us again." Which we discovered the following weekend when I had maybe a glass of a raspberry wine and fell over a coffee table. It's now where I can't have wine, mead, brandy, port, or anything similar, half a glass I'm tipsy, a glass I'm drunk, 2 glasses and I'll be throwing up. Coming from someone who used to need 3-4 glasses to even reach tipsy. It makes me very sad. Cause frankly, ordering a bottle of wine at a fancy dinner is a nice thing to be able to do.

I've been trying to cut back on drinking of late, not that I ever drank a lot, but Zeb and I would have a couple drinks each weekend night. (Well, I would have a couple drinks, he usually had more) But now I am endeavoring to only drink when we're out with others drinking, because of the calories. And for the next two weeks I'm not drinking at all...yay new diet. :smallconfused:

Erloas
2011-03-24, 02:37 PM
Listen, Syka. There's a huge difference between "I don't want to have my inhibitions lowered" or "I don't like the taste" or "I have a medical condition" and "Every time I've seen someone drink it's ended poorly." The first three are reasons to not drink, the last one is a reason to decry drinking.

I would actually mostly disagree with your issue with the last statement. Having been around a lot of people that drink, I have yet to find many that don't act like idiots after more then a couple. It is usually the case that everyone else with them is drinking and no one cares, and they aren't being dangerous idiots, but if they acted the same way when alcohol wasn't involved they would be considered an idiot.
Of course the key there is moderation, but most people seem to have fairly poor control over that. Most people's definition of moderation seems to be that if they didn't do anything to get themselves in trouble they were doing ok. Of course a lot of people don't seem to have much of an issue with acting like an idiot either. So I think its mostly a matter of perspective.

Edan
2011-03-24, 02:39 PM
I know you will glance over to my location and figure something out. Let me say I don't drink because alcoholism runs in my family and I just don't want to ever lose control of my body and mind. I heard horror stories about both my parents time spent drunk. (Like driving down a canyon road drunk, at night, with a blown a head gasket and nearly killing several people, including themselves). Both quit but my father is slipping again and it isn't a pretty sight. I frankly don't trust my genetics and would prefer to err on the safe side. (It isn't just alcoholism, both parents life long smokers and my brother has been hooked on meth). I am just not going to take any chances with my finances or health. If someone wants to drink as long as they are responsible I have no problem.

I think there is a big difference between social, responsible drinking and being an alcoholic. My personal opinion is that it comes down to how well a person knows oneself. If you know you tolerance and stay with it, no problem. Self honesty. An alcoholic does not do this, remember step 1 is admitting you have a problem.

Delwugor
2011-03-24, 04:52 PM
*I weigh about 130.
Same here and I can drink steadily for 10+ hours. The key for me is to find the right pace early and keep it there, to slow and I get tired, too fast and I end up obliterated.
But I can not down beer. Every time I do I end up getting sick very quickly - like in an hour.

It is extremely sensible. I'm the only male in my father's family (at least back to grandfather) who is not an alcoholic and though I like to drink I am always aware of the danger to me. Every 2-3 months I will up and stop drinking for a week or two just to make sure I can without problem. Also Mrs. D and I have an agreement, If she tells me to stop drinking or not to drink that is what I do no matter what. If I can't stop drinking at need then I need to stop drinking.

Dvandemon
2011-03-24, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't drink, my family has a long history of alcoholism (heck, they started there living in CA selling moonshine), my mom and all her siblings either don't drink or don't talk about it since they were raised by nasty drunks(when talking about drunks, it's the first time I see my mom cry). I've had non-alcoholic versions of alcoholic beverage (i.e. Piņa Colada) and did like it though. The two most alcoholic things I've had are a drop (literal) of wine and a swig of some...blue carbonated burning stuff from a colorful can my brother thought would be funny to trick me into tasting. I respect anyones decision to drink but only ask they respect my decision not to. Alcohol, like everything should be taken into moderation

Syka
2011-03-24, 06:48 PM
a swig of some...blue carbonated burning stuff from a colorful can my brother thought would be funny to trick me into tasting.

4Loko mayhaps?

As you mentioned, I do like a lot of virgin drinks. I've got a soft spot for strawberry daquiris.

golentan
2011-03-24, 06:56 PM
4Loko mayhaps?

As you mentioned, I do like a lot of virgin drinks. I've got a soft spot for strawberry daquiris.

Daiquiris, Margaritas, really anything with citrus and sweet is good. Especially blended. Whenever my friends and I go to a bar, I'll get a virgin one of those, or a virgin pina colada. Yum.

Dvandemon
2011-03-24, 07:03 PM
4Loko mayhaps?

Exactly, I don't see what's so funny about tricking your brother like that :smallsigh:

Syka
2011-03-24, 07:05 PM
I've heard 4 Loko is the work of the devil, even by those who drink. :smallyuk:

Mmm now I want a smoothie...*craves*

SDF
2011-03-24, 07:08 PM
People don't realize it is malt liquor. So, if you like 40's you might like 4Loko.

Also, I think $100 bottles of Scotch are the greatest thing ever.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-24, 07:27 PM
Virgin drinks are good, but only if you at least have a general idea of what you're doing. When I was bartending a long time ago, some guy ordered a...

Virgin screwdriver
For the uninitiated, it's just:
orange juice

Soilborn
2011-03-24, 07:31 PM
I participate in three types of drinking, all depending upon circumstance:

When I go to parties where the entire object is to get trashed and go wild (these are usually hosted by my former roommate) the menu is usually cheap, arguably crappy beer such as Natural Light or National Bohemian (I live near Baltimore). After a few beers I can work up the stomach to take shots. The night quickly becomes fuzzy, rambunctious, ridiculously fun and occasionally naked.

The second type is when I go to parties with my friends from other circles, who are usually more chill and down to earth yet still enjoy getting drunk. Beer is always above budget level (Heineken and Guinness for example,) but the main focus is on liquor and the mixed drinks we make with them. These nights get no less drunk, but are notably less wild and usually evolve into movies, walks around the neighborhood or good-old fashioned conversation (GASP!!!)

The third type is when I go to bars, usually with a few not-wild friends, to drink some beers simply because beer is awesome. Nicer-quality beers are usually chosen (such as microbrews or foreign brews) and shared along with a meal. We usually call it quits when we start getting buzzed as the entire point is to enjoy the taste of the beverage over getting trashed. This usually leads back to my place (because I live right next to an awesome gastro pub) for video games and such.

Outside of these three scenarios I rarely drink, and never alone. I've never been able to view alcohol as anything aside from a catalyst for fun between people that goes to waste if enjoyed solo. I've tried to drink with depression and it did nothing for me.

For the record, my favorite beer is the Magic Hat Odd Notion 2010, a limited edition brew possessing a bold taste accented with a hint of green apple tang. It's no longer in production, which makes me a very sad panda.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-03-24, 08:01 PM
I drink for the taste. That's it. Some alcoholic beverages taste good to me, so I drink them. I almost never get drunk, because I don't drink enough to do that.

That's all there is to it for me.

Onlyhestands
2011-03-25, 12:49 AM
I drink because I enjoy the taste of a decent variety of alcohol, and I can be somewhat shy when meeting new people, and I can open up a lot more when I'm a bit tipsy. Plus I just love the feeling of being drunk, and letting myself become a little bit less self-conscious for a while.
I like most liquors, wines, and beers as long as they aren't sugary. I have a special fondness for drinking straight vodka, even the cheap 15$ handles that come in a plastic jug (I blame it on my Russian and Polish ancestry).

TechnoScrabble
2011-03-25, 01:24 AM
Well, when I was in high school, I drank to cope. When I got out of that hellhole, I had a liver that could put a dwarf under the table due to the fact I never drank more than a few glasses at any given time and avoided the nasty stuff like beer and schnapps.
In college and afterwards, it was just fun and delicious.

I usually use Bailey's in my cereal in the morning instead of normal milk? Why? Because a little bit of alcohol at a time is actually good for the heart and liver and alcoholic chocolate milk in my honey bunches of oats is effing scrumptious.

Oh, and soju. Make some jello shots or kool-aid with it. You don't even know you're drunk until you try to stand up again and find your legs don't work.

Things to avoid:
Beer: Usually ****ty compared to other alcohol.
Schnapps: Impossible to get rid of the breath and the hangover sucks. Of course, being me, I don't get hangovers unless I'm drunk to the point of alcohol poisoning.
Cheap Wine: Bad headaches.
Four Loko: P.O.S. in liquid form.
Pretty much anything a hood kid or college kid refers to you. They usually only drink it out of peer pressure, and it's usually crap.

Drascin
2011-03-25, 01:57 AM
Personally, I don't drink. I don't mind much if other do (though, in full honesty, I do mind a little at first, because it makes me a bit wary until I can see they can control themselves. It's not rarely I've had to carry someone home on my back, or get a passed out someone out of the riverbank so rats wouldn't eat him, so I can't look at the beginning of a party without a part of my mind calculating how much the people around weigh and if it'd be feasible to carry them home or I'd need to call a taxi :smalltongue:), but I, personally, do not drink. There were several people who tried to make me drink,through both direct and underhanded methods, but the direct ones tended to drop the issue after I said "no thanks" the first dozen times, and the underhanded did not seem to ever pick up on the fact that most alcoholic beverages have a rather noticeable smell and trying to spike a glass of water with vodka is not ever going to work :smallamused:

As for why... well, alcohol is supposed to lower one's inhibitions. A lot of the inhibitions I have were put in place by myself for very good reasons. Therefore, I'd rather not risk it. 'sides, water is goodenough for me.

Soilborn
2011-03-25, 01:02 PM
Things to avoid:
Beer: Usually ****ty compared to other alcohol.
I resent this! There is indeed a lot of crap out there, but that's offset by how much more is actually amazing.

Mathis
2011-03-25, 02:17 PM
I resent this! There is indeed a lot of crap out there, but that's offset by how much more is actually amazing.

Very true. There are a lot of great beers out there, but they are more expensive than the stuff you can find at your local store. I find that the beers that come out of all the micro and craft breweries that are popping up everywhere these days turn out to be very amazing and I'd reccommend anyone to check them out.

Also, I suggest learning to enjoy a good spirit. A glass of whisky, brandy or cognac in the evening is great and the amount of tastes out there are simply mind-boggling!

When I drink alone it's usually a beer or two for dinner, or some aquavit to a traditional meal during holidays with the family. A glass of whisky or wine to a good tv-show happens now and then as well. Other than that, I'm a university student so there are lots of occasions to drink here. When I do drink out it's with good friends who also enjoy the feeling of getting tipsy or buzzed, but never pissed. So yeah, it's a thing I do with friends who also enjoy the collective lack of inhibitions and generally good mood that springs from a night of drinking.

Goosefeather
2011-03-25, 02:17 PM
@Soilborn
Agreed! Being put off beer by something like Fosters is akin to being put off whiskey because you only tried Tesco's own-brand whiskey!

As for inhibitions, I dunno, sometimes it's just more fun to act a little stupid, to take risks, to try things you wouldn't normally try. Obviously don't go overboard, but bear in mind that what you might regret the next day will on the other hand make a great story a couple of years down the line!
A personal example - last year, I woke up in a field dressed as a Smurf (I live in the centre of a city...) with no idea how I got there. At the time, it obviously wasn't a great deal of fun; the nearest farmlike outpost thing had the slightly unpronounceable name of Waunarlwydd, and in the end it took me about 4 hours to walk home, still a Smurf.

And yet, when I'm 80, contemplating my life, it'll be incidents like that that I'll look back on with fondness, while many of my more sober nights will have been completely forgotten. This doesn't mean they weren't fun, just that every once in a while it can be fun to go a little crazy! :smallwink:

Soilborn
2011-03-25, 07:28 PM
Also, I suggest learning to enjoy a good spirit. A glass of whisky, brandy or cognac in the evening is great and the amount of tastes out there are simply mind-boggling!
I can't drink hard liquor anymore :smallfrown:. Back in the day I used to be a real whiskey man, and even partook in a decent absinthe when I could afford to ($80 a fifth.) Lucid still stands as my favorite, but I'm sure there are others out there that eclipse Lucid in taste just as much as my wallet in cost.

Gastritis is *****. Right now I'm limited to beer only, and in strict moderation. I tried the hard stuff once, and with it's simple caress my stomach convulsed and burned as though I had swallowed a shotglass of magma.

4 more months. Four. More. Months.... :smallfrown:

KenderWizard
2011-03-26, 06:52 AM
By coincidence, the night before last I broke about half my rules. I got a nasty shock and lost something important to me, I had to go to the pub even though I didn't feel like it, and although (or because) I was depressed and shaken, my friend brought me a whiskey. It was a solidarity man-that-sucked drink with him, and it was fine. One wasn't against the rules, but eight kind of was, between the initial bad mood and the medicine. Still, I kept my wits about me, didn't do anything mad or regrettable, and didn't let myself sink into a mood. I suppose this proves to me that although it's possible to drink having started with negative emotions if I'm careful and with good friends and making an effort not to start wallowing, it's also a lesson that even if I think I'm careful, when s**t goes down, I might break my delicate set of rules and that's something to watch out for.

zeratul
2011-03-26, 10:28 PM
People don't realize it is malt liquor. So, if you like 40's you might like 4Loko.

Also, I think $100 bottles of Scotch are the greatest thing ever.

Aye that does seem to be something people forget a lot. It seems kind of silly to ban it when one can easily just mix monster with steel reserve and get pretty much exactly the same concoction......

TechnoScrabble
2011-03-26, 11:04 PM
Truth be told, I only ever met five people who could stand the smell or taste of a colt 40, and they were all chavvy hood kids who couldn't handle their drink.

Soilborn
2011-03-27, 02:51 AM
Truth be told, I only ever met five people who could stand the smell or taste of a colt 40, and they were all chavvy hood kids who couldn't handle their drink.
Being a computer nerd who spent a year living with a native inner-city Baltimorian, I can safely say you can add me to the list. If there's beer to be drunk and Colt is the only option, I'll drink it. But I'm sure as hell not doing so for the taste.

SDF
2011-03-27, 02:58 AM
My friend drinks malt liquor because of the price, but even he can spring the extra nickel for Old English. :smalltongue:

Knaight
2011-03-27, 03:45 AM
I personally drink for a grand total of two reasons, and only in very limited quantities. I've never been and never intend to be so much as tipsy, particularly as I have no desire to lower my inhibitions for any reason, particularly not if that comes with a side effect that seems suspiciously similar to a migraine. However, the legitimate reasons stay.

Some alcoholic drinks taste good. A handful of beers from microbreweries, a decent amount of white wine and smaller amount of red (Argentinian wines are absolutely incredible for the price, and good by any measure), mead, and ouzo fall into this. Usually this comes up with restaurants and those rare times where I actually feel like cooking something that takes a decent amount of effort. If I make pizza, I much prefer to have beer -microbrew stuff intended for drinking, not for getting drunk on- to go along with it than tea or coffee, soda is right out due to personal hatred of the stuff.

There is also the matter of ritual. I'll usually have a bit of wine at family events, some good beer at holidays spent with friends, and a single pale ale of some sort when watching a film.

Goosefeather
2011-03-27, 03:49 AM
I swear on all that is sacred and holy in this world, and I dare anyone to challenge me on this: there is no better hangover film than 'The Blues Brothers'.

In other news, last night was my grand return to whiskey, after almost three years of abstaining from the stuff (my 18th birthday party, don't ask...)

Lioness
2011-03-27, 03:51 AM
I have a couple of rules regarding alcohol...if I'm starting to lose my physical and mental capacity - i.e., not walking straight, slurring words...then I won't drink any more. It's easy for me, once I've made up my mind, to say "No, no more at all"
I also won't drink just for the sake or drinking...if there's nothing there that tastes good, then I won't drink.

I also learnt last night that punch at parties is not good for my level of drunkenness...because it tastes really good. And I like things that taste really good.

Flickerdart
2011-03-27, 11:18 AM
Fruity drinks? Pfah. Alcohol isn't supposed to taste good, it's supposed to get you drunk. I have my vodka straight, just like I have my coffee black.

Soilborn
2011-03-27, 12:49 PM
I also learnt last night that punch at parties is not good for my level of drunkenness...because it tastes really good. And I like things that taste really good.
Jungle Juice (prob what you have) is one of the most deceptively alcoholic beverages ever conceived. All it takes is a plastic can full of Koolaid and you'll never know that the bowl you're drinking from contains a full handle of Rikaloff and a fifth of Everclear.

I've made some myself on occasion and seen plenty of people go downhill on this stuff FAST.

thorgrim29
2011-03-27, 01:22 PM
So, new reason, alcohol as an pretext for epic nights. Yesterday two of my buddies and I went out and drank a beer at each microbrew within a 20 minute drive (4 of them the last 3 were within walking distance, so no drunk driving). It took around 6 hours, and we ended up eating poutine in a small snack bar at 4 am, where we met a group of other slightly inebriated people and getting home when the night was starting to turn into day. It was awesome.

Soilborn
2011-03-27, 01:55 PM
You live within 20 minutes of how many microbrews?

I am neon green with envy over here.

onthetown
2011-03-27, 04:20 PM
Wow.... lots of in-depth replies...

So I'm gonna sound kind of simple, here, but I have the occasional drink because I like the taste.

I don't like the taste of beer, so I don't drink it. But I love watermelon flavoured Smirnoff Twisted Ice, and strawberry Daiquiris, and a really neat little lime drink down at the pub called an Irish Spring. So I drink them when I have the opportunity.

Which really isn't all that often, because I don't usually have the money to treat myself to a drink. :smallfrown:

arguskos
2011-03-27, 04:46 PM
Jungle Juice (prob what you have) is one of the most deceptively alcoholic beverages ever conceived. All it takes is a plastic can full of Koolaid and you'll never know that the bowl you're drinking from contains a full handle of Rikaloff and a fifth of Everclear.

I've made some myself on occasion and seen plenty of people go downhill on this stuff FAST.
Zombies are similar. Delicious, but dear god that's a lot of alcohol in a glass. :smalleek:

aart lover
2011-03-27, 04:52 PM
ummm... cause it tastes good:smallconfused:

SDF
2011-03-27, 06:41 PM
You live within 20 minutes of how many microbrews?

I am neon green with envy over here.

You'd probably love the pacific northwest. In Boise I live within 5 minutes of at least 8 that I can think of off the top of my head. Also, we have about 4 vinyards that are within an hour. Fun to visit in the summer.

Knaight
2011-03-27, 09:39 PM

Aaand this appears right under Schnaps on my not to drink list. I like my alcohol known about.

Keld Denar
2011-03-28, 11:03 AM
You'd probably love the pacific northwest. In Boise I live within 5 minutes of at least 8 that I can think of off the top of my head. Also, we have about 4 vinyards that are within an hour. Fun to visit in the summer.

Yea, Seattle has like, 40 micros in the greater metro area, not including chain micros like The Ram or Rock Bottom, and Portland, OR has a decent number, and Eugene, OR is home of my favorite Ninkasi Brewing Company Total Domination IPA. Delicious!

God bless northwest brewers!

In college, my fraternity used to whip up batches of Pink Panty Droppers for parties. 2 fifths of lemon vodka, 1 30 pack cheap beer, 3 cans frozen pink lemonade, and lots of ice. Tastes like pink lemonade. Perfect for sorority mixers.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-28, 12:37 PM
I drink socially, and occasionally. It's fairly rare for me to drink more than a couple beers, and thus, I generally feel no effects from doing so. The exceptions are things like St Paddy's, when a bit of drinking is practically mandatory.

My reasons for drinking consist first of enjoying the flavor of what I drink(and yes, this limits what I drink quite a bit. Some alcohol is really just terrible.), and secondly, it's a socially accepted thing in certain settings. I have no interest in drinking terribly heavily.

308HTR
2011-03-28, 01:58 PM
I find that when I'm sober, I tend to leapfrog through time and space. The only solution I've found is a near constant state of inebriation. Whenever I feel a temporal disconformity or anomaly coming up, I start my protocol. For some strange reason being at a BAC of .04 provides immunity. My past holds very few joys, my future is equally bleak. The present? I can abide the present.

skywalker
2011-03-28, 04:12 PM
Zombies are similar. Delicious, but dear god that's a lot of alcohol in a glass. :smalleek:

So named because even 1 or 2 will have you acting like a zombie.

In other news, I went to the club Saturday night. Split a carafe of sake 3 ways at the hibachi restaurant, and then went to the club and had a couple of drinks. It was overall a really fun night right up until I lost my car keys, and then it very quickly became an un-fun night that ended with getting towed home at 5AM. But I was no longer in anyway affected by the booze at that point (having sobered up to drive someone home and reached down to find my keys gone).

It reaffirmed my belief that if you can approach it in the right frame of mind, the mental state evoked by alcohol consumption is not only fun, it's also healthy.

Also, had a "perfect margarita" at Applebee's last night. It was $8, but it got me half-price mozzarella sticks and it was one of the tastier things (like top 10) I have ever consumed. So there's another reason to drink: because a well-made drink really is delicious.

Keld Denar
2011-03-28, 04:26 PM
Confirming the perfectness of Applebees Perfect Margarita. On the rocks, of course. Real men don't drink frozen margaritas...
(completely in jest, real men drink whatever the heck they want!)

That's the 1800 Reposato one, right?

SDF
2011-03-28, 10:32 PM
I like going to Applebees after 9 when drinks and appetizers are half off.... Pig out on multiple order of wings and good drinks. MMM.

skywalker
2011-03-31, 12:28 AM
Confirming the perfectness of Applebees Perfect Margarita. On the rocks, of course. Real men don't drink frozen margaritas...
(completely in jest, real men drink whatever the heck they want!)

That's the 1800 Reposato one, right?

Yes sir yes sir. Good tequila alone is reason enough to consume alcohol. Add in the existence of Scotch... And there's really no argument.

The Linker
2011-03-31, 10:00 AM
My first experience getting drunk was absolutely terrible. Being dragged to an extremely loud, dark and noisy club by my stepbrother who I do not get along with, drinking a few Smirnoff Ices on my own (actually liked 'em!) before my stepbrother drags me over to the counter, makes me buy two tequila shots, I spill (well, massively dribbled) one, and decide I don't really want the other one based on what little I tasted and my apparent current state that I would spill one. What does he says? "Yes you do. You want this."

So much for a responsible chaperone. :smallconfused:

Couple that with like one of the girls in our party throwing up in the street and sobbing all the way home as a direct result of the drinking... oh, and half the party was underage, including that girl I just mentioned. I didn't know this at the time. Outed them to my dad and stepmom accidentally, 17-year-old stepsister (who didn't attend, to clarify) gets told she's not allowed to hang out with them anymore, gets very very mad. At everyone.

Horrible, horrible experience. :smalleek: No more for me, thanks, except in very specific situations with the right people. Though I've never had enough to get drunk since then.

So, yeah. My experience leaves the taste of alcohol as rather upsetting. To answer the posed question, I'm still interested in trying beverages that mask the taste, because I'm just plain interested in how it can change me and how I think. It's like I'm running an experiment and want to sort of jot everything down, like, "WHY did I think it would be a good idea to throw this large object at my roommate?" :smalltongue: