PDA

View Full Version : I just want to be human!

Barbarian MD
2011-03-23, 02:51 PM
Basically, like the title says: monstrous humanoids get all the fun (I'm looking at you, Creature of Legend). Has anyone ever devised a template for super-humans? Specifically, a distinctly human template that grants massive bonuses to stats and natural armor and the like?

tzaan
2011-03-23, 03:37 PM
someone was working on a Space Marine class a short while ago...most of it could easily be cobbled into "Ur-Sapien"

Human with light fortification, powerful build, darkvision, superhearing, ridiculous strength, toughness and speed...spitting acid at people who diss your gigantism...

yah, the list goes on and I'm massively biased toward 40k anyway

Barbarian MD
2011-03-23, 03:47 PM
I'm more looking for a template, rather than a full class commitment. Something to help a humanoid out in gestalt games that everyone takes racial hd and creature of legend for.

Cidolfas
2011-03-23, 06:39 PM
It's not a template or a full class committment, but the Human Paragon class (found on http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Publication:Unearthed_Arcana/Human_Paragon) from Unearthed Arcana is a decent option. It's only three levels long and gives a bonus feat and a +2 ability score bonus, which is not a terrible haul for a 3 level racial paragon class.

I'm not really sure any kind of Ubermensch Human bloodline exists, but one of those could be possible and maybe offer what you're looking for.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-23, 07:28 PM
Are you possibly referring to . . . dire humans?

Possibly getting +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, fast healing 1 when below half health, Luck Of Heroes as a bonus feat (from Forgotten Realms) ?
Just an idea.

Barbarian MD
2011-03-23, 07:36 PM
Dire Human is a fun idea. Might be my next homebrew project. :smalltongue:

It just seems sad to need a monstrous race to remain viable in melee--larger size, along with natural armor and ability bonuses, but I want to stay within the realm of human I might see what sort of changes to Creature of Legend would be appropriate.

Thanks for the help searching, though. Look for a Dire Human or some such in a couple of weeks.

101jir
2011-03-24, 08:56 AM
What about superhero/villain, except make that restricted to humans. The question would then become what superhero/villain to model the template off of. Just an idea.

Yora
2011-03-24, 11:01 AM
Didn't races of Destiny had something along this line?

T.G. Oskar
2011-03-24, 11:42 AM
What about superhero/villain, except make that restricted to humans. The question would then become what superhero/villain to model the template off of. Just an idea.

Aberrant has a nice concept about Superheroes and templates on its d20 format.

Basically, only humans (not elves, not dwarves, no Aventi or Azurin which are essentially reflavored humans, no character with the feats that make you slightly more human) can get the Superhero template, which grants a minor increase in Constitution and the ability to use powers. At first, you have access only to Tier 1 powers (which aren't run of the mill); you need to get Superhero levels (akin to Human Paragon) to get Tier 2 and Tier 3 powers. Tier 2 are basically more powerful powers, while Tier 3 includes power sets (a series of abilities which can be taken as part of a similar trend, including Tier 2 powers that are reduced because of "specialization"). The progression is kinda between psionics and how Items of Legacy gain power: you can choose one power per two levels, starting at first; Tier 2 powers require two such power "slots", and Tier 3 powers require three such power "slots" but if you buy a power set you gain 2 powers automatically and can purchase any others at a 1-by-1 ratio. Then, you can activate them based on how many Quantum Points you have, which are mechanically similar to Power Points except that you get them based on a 7th score (an average between your Strength, Constitution and Intelligence scores but that increases by 1 every 3 levels), at a ratio of 1 point per Tier.

Powers themselves are odd, though: instead of metamagic or metapsionics, you gain "extras" of which you may spend one power slot or one feat slot (yes, one of the general feat slots), which increases the degree of power of that ability at the cost of extra points. These abilities cover quite a lot of the range of powers a superhero is expected to have, except for physical or mental abilities that might be considered enhancements to "mundane" (super-strength, eidetic memory, etc.); those are covered by feats only they might take, which grant certain benefits (and an effective increase in said ability scores).

It takes a bit of time to learn the grasp of it (though not as much as that to learn Incarnum), but it's a generally good way to deal with it. Just try to refluff it on D&D terms, should not be difficult, though make sure to do something concerning how it relates to magic and psionics (some of the abilities are related in a way to psionics, though the Trinity Universe specifies what superpowers and psionics may do, and how they differ). You may make a Magic/Psionics/Superpowers transparency thing or whatnot.

Still, it's an awful lot of stuff just to make humans worthwhile. Personally, I find it a good idea, but not one I'd apply to D&D because of how distant the concept is (by all means, magic and psionics cover one-third of sci-fi archetypes; artifacts and Incarnum covers part two, while most templates cover the last third). Humans already are good; I don't see the need to change them in any case because the feat slot and the extra skill points, not to mention the lack of penalties, more than make up for whatever weakness they might have, plus they are quite expected to develop all sorts of weird powers which other races might not develop. Heck, if Races of Destiny is enough measure...

Benly
2011-03-24, 01:20 PM
Feral and Mineral Warrior templates make you Wolverine and Colossus respectively, so that's a start. :)

101jir
2011-03-24, 09:49 PM
Aberrant has a nice concept about Superheroes and templates on its d20 format.

Basically, only humans (not elves, not dwarves, no Aventi or Azurin which are essentially reflavored humans, no character with the feats that make you slightly more human) can get the Superhero template, which grants a minor increase in Constitution and the ability to use powers. At first, you have access only to Tier 1 powers (which aren't run of the mill); you need to get Superhero levels (akin to Human Paragon) to get Tier 2 and Tier 3 powers. Tier 2 are basically more powerful powers, while Tier 3 includes power sets (a series of abilities which can be taken as part of a similar trend, including Tier 2 powers that are reduced because of "specialization"). The progression is kinda between psionics and how Items of Legacy gain power: you can choose one power per two levels, starting at first; Tier 2 powers require two such power "slots", and Tier 3 powers require three such power "slots" but if you buy a power set you gain 2 powers automatically and can purchase any others at a 1-by-1 ratio. Then, you can activate them based on how many Quantum Points you have, which are mechanically similar to Power Points except that you get them based on a 7th score (an average between your Strength, Constitution and Intelligence scores but that increases by 1 every 3 levels), at a ratio of 1 point per Tier.

Powers themselves are odd, though: instead of metamagic or metapsionics, you gain "extras" of which you may spend one power slot or one feat slot (yes, one of the general feat slots), which increases the degree of power of that ability at the cost of extra points. These abilities cover quite a lot of the range of powers a superhero is expected to have, except for physical or mental abilities that might be considered enhancements to "mundane" (super-strength, eidetic memory, etc.); those are covered by feats only they might take, which grant certain benefits (and an effective increase in said ability scores).

It takes a bit of time to learn the grasp of it (though not as much as that to learn Incarnum), but it's a generally good way to deal with it. Just try to refluff it on D&D terms, should not be difficult, though make sure to do something concerning how it relates to magic and psionics (some of the abilities are related in a way to psionics, though the Trinity Universe specifies what superpowers and psionics may do, and how they differ). You may make a Magic/Psionics/Superpowers transparency thing or whatnot.

Still, it's an awful lot of stuff just to make humans worthwhile. Personally, I find it a good idea, but not one I'd apply to D&D because of how distant the concept is (by all means, magic and psionics cover one-third of sci-fi archetypes; artifacts and Incarnum covers part two, while most templates cover the last third). Humans already are good; I don't see the need to change them in any case because the feat slot and the extra skill points, not to mention the lack of penalties, more than make up for whatever weakness they might have, plus they are quite expected to develop all sorts of weird powers which other races might not develop. Heck, if Races of Destiny is enough measure...

I don't see much of a need either, but it was a request, figured I may as well help out.

Mangles
2011-03-25, 07:47 AM
Regression
Regression is the return to nature that wild humans seek. Many Barbarians and Rangers see this as a way to extend their power and their abilities, caring mainly for the combat edge they can find. Druids know it just one step on the path to reaching the perfection that nature intended. The body regresses to a state more adept, but the mind remains strong. Allowing the warrior greater strength and speed without diminishing her intellect.
Perquisite: Humanoid
Hit Dice: Change to d10
AC: Natural armor improves by +2 in addition to any other natural armor
Special Attacks: Gains the following attacks based on hit dice
{table=head]HD|
Special

4 | Power Attack
8 | Pounce
12| Leap Attack
[/table]
Special Abilities: Gains the following abilities based on hit dice
{table=head]HD|
Special

4 | Low-Light Vision, Scent
8 | Fast Movement 10 feet
12| Powerful Build
[/table]
Abilities:+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con
Skills: +2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, and Survival checks. In addition regressed humanoids have a racial bonus on Climb checks equal to half their hit dice and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
Challenge Rating: +3
Level Adjustment: +2

Evolution
Evolution is the end of a journey for many trying to finally reach a state of mind superior to their brethren in every way. For others it is the perfection of the humanoids ability to adapt to any situation.
Perquisite: Humanoid
Special Abilities: Gains the following based on hit dice
{table=head]HD|
Special

4 | Regeneration
8 | Fast Healing 2
12| Spell Resistance 10 + ½ HD
[/table]
Regeneration: The evolved are able to heal much faster than a normal being. They heal 1 point of damage per level every hour rather than every day. Nonlethal damage heals at a rate of 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes. This healing cannot be aided by the Heal skill.
Fast Healing 2: As they get further in their evolution the evolved are now able to heal 2 points of damage every round. This is in addition to their regeneration ability.
Spell Resistance: Their body is beyond that of a regular humanoid and has gotten used to the magic that persist on the prime plane. The evolved now possesses spell resistance equal to 10 + ½ their hit dice

Spell Like abilities: Gains the following spell like abilities based on hit dice. All caster levels for these spell like abilities are equal to the caster's hit dice
{table=head]HD|
Special

4 | Charm Person
8 | Inflict/Cure moderate wounds
12| Telekinesis

[/table]
Charm Person: The evolved gain sway over their former brethren and are able to make them come to their aid. They can now cast Charm Person once every 1d6 - char modifier rounds
Inflict/Cure moderate wounds: The ability to heal and destroy are both the same in your hands. They can cast inflict or cure moderate wounds once every 1d6 - wis modifier rounds.
The evolved gain power over the physical realm with their mind. They are now able to cast telekinesis once every 1d6 - int modifier round.
Saves: +1 bonus to all saves
Abilities:+2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Char
Challenge Rating: +3
Level Adjustment: +2

Perfection
The combination of mind and body, culminating in the perfect version of yourself.
Perquisite: Regression and Evolution
Hit Dice: Change to d12
AC: Natural armor improves by +4 in addition to any other natural armor
Special Attacks: Gains the following attacks based on hit dice
{table=head]HD|
Special

4 |
8 |
12|
[/table]
Special Abilities: Gains the following abilities based on hit dice
{table=head]HD|
Special

4 | Mage Armor, Flight
8 | Haste,
12| Mind Blank,
[/table]
Saves: +3 bonus to all saves
Abilities:+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Char
Skills:
Challenge Rating: +5
Level Adjustment: +4

Here is what i have so far. Perfection needs some work but the other 2 are good to go.

Lix Lorn
2011-03-25, 09:22 AM
...sounds like Ozymandias from Watchmen.