PDA

View Full Version : Graph plotting

Zanaril
2011-03-23, 03:01 PM
I have a formula I want to plot for a pattern. However, trying to plot it on Excel is proving incredibly fustrating. There seems to be hundreds of options for different styles of graphs, but nowhere can I find the option to make the X and Y axis the same scale!

Surely there must be some easy way to plot a graph to print out. The alternative is that that I plot it out of paper, scan it in and ink over the lines, which seems ridiculously circuitous.

TL;DR anyone know a program for plotting graphs (eg, something in-browser that doesn't need to be downloaded), or how to configure graphs in the newest version of Excel?

Elder Tsofu
2011-03-23, 03:35 PM
I've got it to work this way, but you must know what you want the axises length should be on "beforehand".

When you have the graph; set the maximums and minimums as you want them.
Select the whole graph and chose the format tab. To the right you will find a size option, adjust it to numbers which correspond to the relative differences in the length of the y and x axis.

ie. the y-axis is 20 units long (from lowest minus to highest positive) while the x-axis is 10 -> then you set the height to 20 and width to 10.
Push the little arrow just beneath these two boxes to open up the option to lock the aspect ratio for an easy resize later on.

Now you select the graph area in the graph, the small box with all the essentials which you can move within the square used for the whole graph. Drag/elongate the edges of that box outside the 4 sides of the outer box.

Now you should have the same scale on both the y and x-axis.
(or so I think ;-))

Serpentine
2011-03-24, 02:13 AM
I have a formula I want to plot for a pattern. However, trying to plot it on Excel is proving incredibly fustrating. There seems to be hundreds of options for different styles of graphs, but nowhere can I find the option to make the X and Y axis the same scale!From memory, if you're trying to do it before the graph is complete then that's your problem. Once it's finished (in a New Page), you right-click on the axes, and adjust the Maximum, Minimum and Unit Size options to fit.
Can't help you on alternate programs.