PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an e-reader with some requirements

WalkingTarget
2011-03-23, 04:01 PM
The story is, I know somebody who had a stroke several years ago and can no longer read easily. He had been a fan of the National Geographic magazine for his whole life and his inability to read it has been a source of grief.

His daughters (and by extension, me and my family) are on the case trying to find an e-reader that can solve this. So, I'm asking for people with personal experience with various devices for input. We're looking for something that:

1) Has a color display.
2) Can do e-reader things like magazine subscriptions and
3) Has a general text-to-speech feature (i.e. it can read any text, not just e-books that have had this feature incorporated).

This probably puts us in the market for something like a Nook or iPad, but without one on hand to play around with, I'm not sure if they cover all the requirements. Again, we're looking for something that can bring up a full-color magazine and read it to him. Anybody know if either of those (or some other gizmo that I haven't thought of yet) would work?

Syka
2011-03-23, 04:05 PM
Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the Nook does not have text-to-speech. I think the Kindle does, but doesn't have a color display.

Take a look at the Sony E-Reader, though. It's a color display and may have text-to-speech.

WalkingTarget
2011-03-24, 10:03 AM
Yeah, feedback I've gotten from other sources also indicates that Nooks can't do the TTS thing.

Also, as far as I can tell the Sony Reader doesn't have a color model (only the standard e-ink screens).

I have found that iPads have a native TTS feature, anybody know if the iBooks library (or something else that the iPad has easy access to) includes National Geographic as an available title? An iPad would be overkill for what we need it for, but if that's the only option...

raitalin
2011-03-24, 10:23 AM
Before you throw a couple unecessary hundreds at Apple you might want to check out the Archos 70 (https://store.archos.com/archos-internet-tablet-p-5004.html). Pretty much any android tablet would meet your requirements, but the Archos is a good combination of price and ease of use.

Also, good deals can be had on the Samsung Galaxy and Dell Streak with a data plan contract with a wireless company, but I don't feel like their retail prices are worth it compared to the Archos 70.

Vaynor
2011-03-25, 02:00 PM
Just a note, the iPad has an app to read kindle books as well, so it has access to any book the kindle has.