PDA

View Full Version : Zombies (and Humans) in the Playground

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-26, 10:12 AM
So I'm right in the middle of a game of Humans vs. Zombies here at my college, and I was wondering how many other playgrounders play this awesome game. So how many of you play? Do you have any awesome stories of escaping zombies/hunting humans? Do you prefer playing as a zombie or a human? (I don't really know, since both times I've played I haven't made it past the second day as a human :smallsigh:)

If you have no idea what I'm talking about and are curious, a description of the game can be found here. (http://humansvszombies.org/)

Deth Muncher
2011-03-28, 11:18 AM
I'm actually helping run it at VCU this semester. It's a rip-roaring good time. We probably go a bit more in depth than most: We've got a week long string of missions for the survivor teams to complete, which can earn them points to upgrade their weapons, as well as letting the zombies get points to purchase special zombies.

Lhurgyof
2011-03-29, 09:42 PM
So I'm right in the middle of a game of Humans vs. Zombies here at my college, and I was wondering how many other playgrounders play this awesome game. So how many of you play? Do you have any awesome stories of escaping zombies/hunting humans? Do you prefer playing as a zombie or a human? (I don't really know, since both times I've played I haven't made it past the second day as a human :smallsigh:)

If you have no idea what I'm talking about and are curious, a description of the game can be found here. (http://humansvszombies.org/)

I really wanna play but I'm only in High School.

Eldan
2011-03-30, 04:27 AM
Hmm. You probably need a campus for that. Sad, really, it sounds interesting.

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-30, 04:32 AM
Humans vs Zombies? Never played it, but it seems like a good game. It sounds a bit like the Werewolves of Wakkerdam, a semi-card game I used to play all the time. :smalltongue:

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-03-30, 04:41 AM
We tend to play drop bears vs humans in Australia. It doubles as a public service announcement of the dangers of the wild as well as good fun for all.

I'd def love to play it though, it seems awesome:smalltongue:

Croverus
2011-03-30, 05:25 AM
Is that anything like All Flesh Must Be Eaten?

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-30, 07:47 AM
Well, it is in that it involves RPing a zombie apocalypse. Sorta.

Ok, I guess I'll give a quick rundown of the game:
This game is played on college campuses. There are usually a large number of students playing; depending on the campus, it can be anywhere from 100 to 1000. When the game starts, all but 1 of the players are Humans. The Original Zombie then goes and tries to turn the humans into zombies by tagging them. The humans can stun zombies with Nerf blasters, rolled up socks, and marshmallows. The zombies must get "feeds," or they will starve and be out of the game. The zombies try to turn all the humans, the humans try to survive. The game is played 24/7 for a week or two, with daily missions to draw the humans out of hiding, and provide mass battles between the two factions. The game ends when all the humans are dead, or at the end of the final mission.

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-31, 10:09 AM
Well, it is in that it involves RPing a zombie apocalypse. Sorta.

This game is played on college campuses. There are usually a large number of students playing; depending on the campus, it can be anywhere from 100 to 1000. When the game starts, all but 1 of the players are Humans. The Original Zombie then goes and tries to turn the humans into zombies by tagging them. The humans can stun zombies with Nerf blasters, rolled up socks, and marshmallows. The zombies must get "feeds," or they will starve and be out of the game. The zombies try to turn all the humans, the humans try to survive. The game is played 24/7 for a week or two, with daily missions to draw the humans out of hiding, and provide mass battles between the two factions. The game ends when all the humans are dead, or at the end of the final mission.

Why socks?! Why marshmallows?! Of all nonlethal things...

I would've expected pillows or something like that.

Flame of Anor
2011-03-31, 09:14 PM
Epic zombie survivor here, thank you very much! :smallcool:

Your rules are nearly how we played it here at the University of Chicago last quarter. However, humans had no melee weapons--only Nerf guns, and if your gun jammed it was run or die. We played for two weeks with about 100 people. The campus covers a larger area, but the quads where most of the action was are about 6 city blocks. Dorm rooms and classroom buildings were safe, but not dorm halls/stairs and dining halls.

My chief weapon was stealth--stealth and superior firepower. Er, my two chief weapons were stealth, superior firepower, and ruthless suspicion...my three...four...

Amongst my weapons were:

Stealth: I always went to classes 10 min. early and hid and ate in my room most of the time
Superior firepower: Most of the humans were armed with Nerf Mavericks--I had a modded Maverick plus a short Recon
Ruthless suspicion: I would not acknowledge truces even by zombies who were IRL my good friends
Almost fanatical situational awareness: Yeah, I rocked this.

I'll regale you with some of the most interesting parts. Let's see...on two separate occasions I was ambushed on my way out of the bathroom. Both times my keen eye, readied gun, and quick trigger finger saved me by inches. Then there was the Cure mission. No, we didn't listen to goth music. A group of humans had to fight our way across the campus to a place where the administrators were giving out slips of paper good for curing one zombie. The zombies were out in force, and the way was blocked! Of course us crafty humans went for the buildings, to go through (they're almost all connected) and come out a different door...but the zombies were following us! Even if we came out a different door, they'd still be right on our tail. So it was I who bravely pulled a Roncesvalles and, alone, held a door shut against the oncoming hordes for several minutes until they gave up and went around. I saved many lives that day! And I was one of only about 10 to make it all the way to the end alive, without even having been turned to a zombie and cured.

TL;DR I'm a pretty cool guy, I kill zombies and doesn't afraid of anything.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-31, 09:41 PM
TL;DR I'm a pretty cool guy, I kill zombies and doesn't afraid of anything.

This is quite quotable, grammar and all.

Flame of Anor
2011-03-31, 09:48 PM
Full disclosure: it's an adaptation of a meme.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-31, 09:52 PM
Full disclosure: it's an adaptation of a meme.

Apparently one I haven't come across until now. huh.

Flame of Anor
2011-03-31, 11:27 PM
The original, accompanying a picture of Master Chief, is:

i think halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything.

Elm11
2011-04-01, 07:15 AM
I really want to at the local university (still too young :smallfrown:), but i've started getting nerf gear ready for when i eventually can. Should be awesome.

nerd-7i+42e
2011-04-01, 09:11 PM
Oh my... I must start this at my school (it's not college, but boarding school should work equally well).

Coidzor
2011-04-02, 01:37 AM
At the college I used to go to, I was visiting today and they were testing it out there and kept changing the rules on the fly and didn't have proper communications channels there and there was rampant bribing/manipulation of the moderators putting on the game so far.

It was just kind of stressful and annoying to have going on around me at all, even the level I was exposed to. I can't imagine how they found it fun, really, because it was so arbitrary and required one to constantly be checking a website using finicky campus internet in order to see if one was still in an area where one could check on the rules update that just happened in the past 5 minutes.

So, I really, really hope that the whole constant changing of rules on the fly isn't part of the nature of the game itself and is a fluke local to this school.

Made running a D&D game almost impossible, at the very least, but it was good to see them getting exercise.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-02, 02:53 PM
At the college I used to go to, I was visiting today and they were testing it out there and kept changing the rules on the fly and didn't have proper communications channels there and there was rampant bribing/manipulation of the moderators putting on the game so far.

It was just kind of stressful and annoying to have going on around me at all, even the level I was exposed to. I can't imagine how they found it fun, really, because it was so arbitrary and required one to constantly be checking a website using finicky campus internet in order to see if one was still in an area where one could check on the rules update that just happened in the past 5 minutes.

So, I really, really hope that the whole constant changing of rules on the fly isn't part of the nature of the game itself and is a fluke local to this school.

Made running a D&D game almost impossible, at the very least, but it was good to see them getting exercise.

The game I played in was nothing like that. The rules were simple and straightforward, and were (almost) always adhered to.

Ricky S
2011-04-03, 04:11 AM
I wanted to play this but it didnt work out. Our uni wouldnt allow it which sucked. I got really excited when someone else tried to make a suburb wide game which would be run on a single night for 5 hours but it got cancelled as well. It seems I am destined to wait until there is an actual zombie apocalypse before I can experience it.

Combat Reflexes
2011-04-03, 11:10 AM
It seems I am destined to wait until there is an actual zombie apocalypse before I can experience it.

And there you were, all loaded up on marshmallows and Nerf guns... giving those zombies fluffy hell!

One Tin Soldier
2011-04-06, 09:47 PM
Superior firepower: Most of the humans were armed with Nerf Mavericks--I had a modded Maverick plus a short Recon
LOL mavericks. I'm sorry, had to say that, they're kind of a running joke in our club.
But honestly, those are pretty unreliable. I know, I tried dual-wielding them for a different game, and they jammed more than they fired. You should get yourself a nitefinder; they are the cheapest, most reliable, and easiest to mod Nerf guns you can get.

It was just kind of stressful and annoying to have going on around me at all, even the level I was exposed to. I can't imagine how they found it fun, really, because it was so arbitrary and required one to constantly be checking a website using finicky campus internet in order to see if one was still in an area where one could check on the rules update that just happened in the past 5 minutes
Yeah, it sounds like they were just starting. I imagine that getting the system up and running would take a lot of fine-tuning. The game normally runs pretty smoothly.

Ricky S
2011-04-07, 01:29 AM
And there you were, all loaded up on marshmallows and Nerf guns... giving those zombies fluffy hell!

Yea I was kinda bummed. Me and my friend had bought one of those nerf machine guns with the belt of ammunition and a pistol each. We were set for a full out war and then the uni cancelled it. Sigh.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-10, 11:51 AM
I played a heavily modified version of Humans VS Zombies with my buddies once. We played for a few hours in a public park with the humans barricaded in a playground equipment set and later under a bleacher. It may just have been the funnest experience of my life.

List of rules changes:

Just socks were used, no nerf guns.
Zombies cannot starve to death.
Zombies are only stunned for five minutes when tagged.
Zombies cannot be tagged while stunned.
A zombie tagged three times is out of the game.