PDA

View Full Version : Dem Headphones

wojonatior
2011-03-27, 11:06 PM
I seem to go through headphones at a ridiculous rate(a pair every couple months), and I was wondering if any of you Gitpers know of any good headphones that are durable and good sound quality, and hopefully not like half a trillion dollars? And I was looking for for some of the in ear earbuds(was that superfluous?).

Any help would be appreciated :D

Moff Chumley
2011-03-27, 11:14 PM
For over the ear headphones, I have a pair of Samsons that've been good to me. They get plenty loud, just the right amount of bass, and I've held onto 'em for a little over a year, and they're still in one piece after constant use. Picked 'em up for $60 or so.

Haruki-kun
2011-03-27, 11:25 PM
Truthfully,no. I usually buy the 15 dollar ones from RadioShack and use them until they die. At the end of the year you spend like... 30-45 dollars on headphones. :smalltongue:

EDIT: And they last longer than that, actually. I prefer Sony.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-27, 11:34 PM
I have had these headphone since 2003.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G2DJJ1F8L.jpg

Xyk
2011-03-27, 11:48 PM
Truthfully,no. I usually buy the 15 dollar ones from RadioShack and use them until they die. At the end of the year you spend like... 30-45 dollars on headphones. :smalltongue:

EDIT: And they last longer than that, actually. I prefer Sony.

I do the same thing. I've had 4 pair of sony 15$ earbuds in the last 2 years or so. It works pretty well.

Crispy Dave
2011-03-28, 01:54 AM
I'm a huge fan of JVC Marshmellows, they're like 20 bucks and sound better then any other earbuds I've used.

Partof1
2011-03-28, 03:56 AM
i have a $20 pair of in ear sony headphones, and they're really good. Haven't had problems with sound, and I've had them for at least a year, maybe a year and a half.

Lord Herman
2011-03-28, 04:55 AM
After my third set of headphones split down the middle because my head is too big, I decided to just use my iPod earbud things. The rubbery padding stuff turned into goo after a while, though, so I had to take the padding from another (broken) set of earphones and put them on the iPod ones.

Honestly though, I don't really notice much of a difference in sound quality between my old 80-euro headphones and these iPod earphones. YMMV, of course - I'm sure some people can hear the difference or there wouldn't be a market for high-quality headphones. :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2011-03-28, 08:15 AM
After my third set of headphones split down the middle because my head is too big, I decided to just use my iPod earbud things. The rubbery padding stuff turned into goo after a while, though, so I had to take the padding from another (broken) set of earphones and put them on the iPod ones.

Honestly though, I don't really notice much of a difference in sound quality between my old 80-euro headphones and these iPod earphones. YMMV, of course - I'm sure some people can hear the difference or there wouldn't be a market for high-quality headphones. :smalltongue:

Honestly, I buy these

http://www.everythingusb.com/images/list/plantronic_gamecom_777_headset_news.jpg

Not because I consider them to produce a superior quality of sound, but simply because I find them more comfortable to wear, and I think they do a better job of blocking outside noise. Also, they've got a mic on them.

shiram
2011-03-28, 08:41 AM
The Shure SE line has some good earphones, and build quality is good as well.
Cables are thick, and they have a modulare cable... so the cable can be replaced if it fails.
I usually go through a pair of earphones in around 6 months to a year, and those have lasted nearly on 2 years now.
I have the Shure se115, they are around a 100$ or possibly cheaper, and the sound is great too.
They are earphones though, and some don't like those

Deth Muncher
2011-03-28, 12:16 PM
I bought a disgustingly good pair of headphones - but unfortunately, the cost/goodness ratio is proportional, so they won't help you out much.

I advise against the earbuds - if you listen to them too loud, they'll kill your ears faster than just regular loud music.

I DO have a pair of cheap Koss headphones that I've had for a few years, and aside from the wire covering starting to wear away and having to E-tape that, they're just fine. Not the BEST sound quality, but enough for what I use them for (exercise soundtrack helpers).

shiram
2011-03-28, 12:59 PM
I advise against the earbuds - if you listen to them too loud, they'll kill your ears faster than just regular loud music.

Why? I mean this is true about any headphones, not just earbuds. Unless I am missing some scientific data...

Deth Muncher
2011-03-28, 01:23 PM
Why? I mean this is true about any headphones, not just earbuds. Unless I am missing some scientific data...

I thought I'd seen something about it, but it stands to reason that if the noise originator is closer to your inner ear, it should be more harmful.

Also, I heard (but cannot cite, of course) that if you're not very attentive with making sure your ears are clean, you can get icky bacteria from using earbuds, since it can get nasty...

shiram
2011-03-28, 02:53 PM
Well call me skeptic on that one, it seems to me closeness is irrelevant, but volume is the key factor. As close as the earbuds can get, if you have them at a reasonable volume, they should not be more harmful than any other headphone.
Basically decibels are equivalent.
Check here for more info.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/373041/can-iems-cause-more-damage-to-ears-not-the-music-itself

As for bacteria, you can have earwax on the earphones, but that comes from your ears already, so I don't know how it could be harmful. Also bacteria would affect most kind of phones, as they could just jump from sweat or whatever.

Of course I would never recommend sharing them with someone else, now that could be a problem.
Some people also get swimmer's ear if they wear their IEM's while their ears are still wet. Just dry your ears after your shower.

Orzel
2011-03-28, 06:17 PM
I go through a pair of $10 earphones/buds every 2 months.
I have I good more expensive pair but it never leaves home.

toasty
2011-03-28, 06:31 PM
My current Headphones were cheap-ass headphones from Bangladesh. I do love the fact my family lives there, cuz they work great. :smallbiggrin:

Weezer
2011-03-28, 06:40 PM
I've got a pair of sennheiser cx 300 that work really well for me. They were like 30-40 bucks on amazon and I've had them for about 6 months now. Really comfy, good sound quality, definitely worth the money.

Marillion
2011-03-28, 06:51 PM
Well call me skeptic on that one, it seems to me closeness is irrelevant, but volume is the key factor. As close as the earbuds can get, if you have them at a reasonable volume, they should not be more harmful than any other headphone.

We actually talked about this in my physics class. This was about ~5 years ago, so I don't remember the mathematics precisely, but essentially the formula for the transference of energy depends upon the square of the distance between points A (the earphones/buds) and B (your ears). Thus, if you halve the distance between A and B, the energy that B receives is not doubled (lets say, from 3 to 6) but squared (from 3 to 9). The loudness of the noise is a huge factor, yes, but an earbud that's 1 inch away from your inner ear will transfer a much larger amount of energy than a set of headphones that creates the sound 2 or 3 inches from your inner ear.

Or so I was told.

Anyway, I love the sound quality that Skullcandy gives me, but their low-end earbuds run 15-20 dollars and wear out so quickly. I bought a pair of Audiology earbuds from Half-Price books for ~7 dollars, just so I'd have something to put into my cd player while I was saving up for better, and I've loved them ever since. The sound quality is pretty great for casual purposes, and they seem to be much sturdier than Skullcandy buds. For comparison, I had the Skullcandy buds for about 5 months before the right bud went out, while the Audiology buds have lasted for 8 months and are still going strong.

Irbis
2011-03-28, 07:27 PM
Sennheiser HD201.

Price/quality ration impossible to beat, IMHO.

gooddragon1
2011-03-28, 07:38 PM
Those really nice plantronic headphones would probably not last longer than any other pair for me too. I'd say the best solution is a pair of speakers :/.

AmberVael
2011-03-28, 07:47 PM
At work (I work in a computer lab), my boss purchased a pair of Sony headphones for my computer, which I fell in love with, so I purchased a pair of my own.

I've been using these headphones for about five years, pretty constantly. They've never broken or degraded (though I tend to treat my headphones with care), they feel ridiculously comfortable, and I have no complaints in terms of sound quality. They're great headphones, at least for me.
The cord is ridiculously long though. Seriously, I walk all over my living room without moving the device they are connected to.

They're Sony Stereo Headphones, MDR-XD100. Cost about 15 dollars.
According to other reviews of them though, your mileage may vary.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-28, 08:01 PM
In general, if the company also makes professional microphones, they'll make solid headphones. Shure, AKG, Sennhieser, and Sony spring to mind.

Marillion
2011-03-28, 08:07 PM
How about the high-end Bose headphones? Worth the -if-you-have-to-ask-you-cant-afford-it price tag?

Moff Chumley
2011-03-28, 08:30 PM
Only if you need the noise-canceling features, in my opinion.

shiram
2011-03-29, 09:00 AM
How about the high-end Bose headphones? Worth the -if-you-have-to-ask-you-cant-afford-it price tag?

The concensus seems to be that Bose has decent headphones, but you can usually do better at that price point with other brands. Some thing with the Monster headphones as well.

Syka
2011-03-29, 09:17 AM
The other reason I heard ear buds can cause a problem: needing it to be louder. Yes, the speaker is closer to your ear. But ear buds are notoriously horrible for blocking outside sound necessitating a higher volume level to hear music, depending on your environment.

I'm currently using my iPhone's ear buds for portable purposes, and I use a pair of nice Sony headphones for at-home stuff (and occasionally mobile traveling). The Sony's are WONDERFUL but, as someone else said, the cord is ridiculous. I can go at least ten feet from my computer with no problem, probably farther. The headphones are at least 2-3 years old.

My ear buds are about a year old now. After a year, my first pair lost sound in the right ear and the cord was wearing out (which is bizarre). I've taken better care* of this pair, and there are no signs of a problem yet.

*I took care of my other pair, too, but this one I make sure is NEVER loose ANYWHERE. ><

EDIT: Also, the Sony's weren't more than 30 dollars, although I think they were on sale.

shiram
2011-03-29, 10:21 AM
The other reason I heard ear buds can cause a problem: needing it to be louder. Yes, the speaker is closer to your ear. But ear buds are notoriously horrible for blocking outside sound necessitating a higher volume level to hear music, depending on your environment.

In Ear Monitors offer great noise isolation. I think maybe some are confusing the two.
Earbuds are the classic type, that sit in your ear, but do not create a seal. They are usually hard and rounded
In ear monitors, sit in your ear and create a seal, and offer great isolation, and improved bass. They have plastic or foam sleeves and are more comfortable as far as I am concerned.

These are what I am talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

And my recommandation for the Shure Se 115 still stand, great sound, great build quality, and a decent price. I love mine.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-29, 07:26 PM
IEMs are almost always used by professional musicians, though. I've never seen anyone use legit IEMs unless they were on stage.

Haruki-kun
2011-03-30, 01:57 AM
I've been using these headphones for about five years, pretty constantly. They've never broken or degraded (though I tend to treat my headphones with care)

You treat them with care? Well, that's cheating! :smalltongue:

I suppose mine degrade faster because they are for iPod purposes only, and I carry them around in my pocket. It would be uncomfortable to carry larger ones around.

OverThoughtName
2011-03-30, 02:38 AM
These (http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/ink-d-sc-black-black.html) are rather decent ear buds; they cancel out almost all the noise around here. My sister randomly got them in the mail for some reason, and, due to her already having expensive headphones for some reason, I got them for free.

And as an aside? Take your headphones out of your MP3 players before wrapping them, tends to make them last longer. Wires cry when we force them to bend so sharply. :smallfrown:

Spartacus
2011-03-30, 03:05 PM
I have a pair of cheap Sony headphones, about 30 CAD at HMV. The cord is 30 feet long (:smalleek:), but they don't block sound particularly well.

My sister says they're really uncomfortable, but I find them great, as does my friend. I can see where she comes from though, as the smallest notch for the size is still loose on her head, as the part that goes above the top of your head is both non-adjustable and really big.

Luckily, I have a large head, and since these are the only ones I've found that fit my head, I've bought three pairs over 4 years, as I keep forgetting they're in my backpack or w/e and breaking them...

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-30, 03:56 PM
I wonder why Japan is the only place in the world that seems to have managed to make $1 headphones available to the public? Sigh.

falco
2011-03-31, 12:25 PM
I have some $30 Sony earbuds too, the kind with the silicone bullet-shaped piece that fits in your ear. I've used the marshmallow ones before and they block out outside noise a little better, but I also found they were harder to keep clean, and lost their shape after a few months.

tyckspoon
2011-04-01, 01:39 AM
In Ear Monitors offer great noise isolation. I think maybe some are confusing the two.
Earbuds are the classic type, that sit in your ear, but do not create a seal. They are usually hard and rounded
In ear monitors, sit in your ear and create a seal, and offer great isolation, and improved bass. They have plastic or foam sleeves and are more comfortable as far as I am concerned.

These are what I am talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

Most people don't have full-on monitor quality earphones, but there's a midway point between those and the hard-plastic-lump style (I don't know why Apple keeps shipping those things with the Ipods, they're horrible headphones.) In-canal earbuds are available basically everywhere for anywhere from dirt-cheap to a couple hundred bucks (Monster/Bose models, mostly.) Flexible silicone or foam tips, fit deeper in the ear than the hard rounded lumps, seal sound better, much more comfortable for long wear. Like wearing earplugs that also make music.

shiram
2011-04-01, 08:09 AM
Most people don't have full-on monitor quality earphones, but there's a midway point between those and the hard-plastic-lump style (I don't know why Apple keeps shipping those things with the Ipods, they're horrible headphones.) In-canal earbuds are available basically everywhere for anywhere from dirt-cheap to a couple hundred bucks (Monster/Bose models, mostly.) Flexible silicone or foam tips, fit deeper in the ear than the hard rounded lumps, seal sound better, much more comfortable for long wear. Like wearing earplugs that also make music.

Here is a great link with a ton of information on a ton of in-canal earbuds, with a great range in price and quality.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-115-iems-compared-monster-miles-davis-tribute-added-10-17#post_6492059

Zocelot
2011-04-01, 11:31 AM
I use JVC marshmallow earbuds, and I replace them about every year. They cost $30. I wear them under my shirt though, and I avoid coiling them up, which I think helps them live longer.

Irbis
2011-04-02, 01:46 PM
What I don't get in this thread is, how can anyone recommend Sony products, especially for 30+ dollars.

Do yourself a favour and grab Sennheisers instead, though not their ultra-high range.

Sacrieur
2011-04-02, 01:53 PM
What I don't get in this thread is, how can anyone recommend Sony products, especially for 30+ dollars.

Do yourself a favour and grab Sennheisers instead, though not their ultra-high range.

Sennheiser are among the best.

---

If you know anything about sound you'll want something that makes your brain explode with bass. High bass = good. There are headphones that come with their own sound chips. This is useful for ipods and computers with integrated sound. Additionally, if you can find headphones that come with mini-subwoofers built into them that's also a plus.

Also, don't buy into that gold wire nonsense. Copper or gold, it won't change the sound quality (thought copper nowadays is worth its weight in gold LOL).

Haruki-kun
2011-04-02, 01:58 PM

I reccomend them for 15 dollars. :smallwink:

At any rate, I don't have any bad experiences with sony products.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-02, 02:45 PM

I've worked in high-end, pro studios that use Sony gear, both headphones and mics.

Irbis
2011-04-02, 04:14 PM
I reccomend them for 15 dollars. :smallwink:

At any rate, I don't have any bad experiences with sony products.

15 dollars? Maybe for that...

Both Sony and Apple are extremely overpriced, mediocre brands in which you pay for a logo, not the hardware, which is usually worth 1/3 to 1/5 stated price, IMHO.

I've worked in high-end, pro studios that use Sony gear, both headphones and mics.

Either they haven't been all that professional, or they had the custom tailored studio Sony gear sold as a kit, as the studio needs are rather niche. Either way, this has no relation to normal consumer products, in which Sony lags in the deep end, no matter if we talk about laptops, mp3 players, or headphones.

Haruki-kun
2011-04-02, 04:17 PM
15 dollars? Maybe for that...

Both Sony and Apple are extremely overpriced, mediocre brands in which you pay for a logo, not the hardware, which is usually worth 1/3 to 1/5 stated price, IMHO.

.....actually, when you buy a product, the company's break even price is about 20% of the retail price. That goes for nearly everything.

1nfinite zer0
2011-04-02, 08:07 PM
Either they haven't been all that professional, or they had the custom tailored studio Sony gear sold as a kit, as the studio needs are rather niche. Either way, this has no relation to normal consumer products, in which Sony lags in the deep end, no matter if we talk about laptops, mp3 players, or headphones.

I know pros that use Sony headphones as well, though typically they are used for monitoring or client-use that wouldn't be used for testing accurate mixdowns. I have a set of audio-technica's that I prefer to seinheizers, but that's a personal preference and agree that seinheizers are excellent audio quality.

I would actually also recommend the sony foldable DJ headphones for durability. I've had a set for 12years that still sound great, and although the plastic eventually snapped, a bit of wire and a glue gun has them solid. They're >100, but worth it because you're not throwing crap into the eternal trash heaps as often.

Agamid
2011-04-02, 08:30 PM
the ipod headphones were always good to me. then they changed the design and now they fall out of my ears while i'm walking.
bought a pair of sennheiser mx 880 on monday. they lasted 5 hours before they broke. took them back and got a new pair. they are good so far. decent sound quality and this second pair haven't broken.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-04-03, 04:20 AM
The absolute best headphones I've found are Sony-MDR 7506.

The only problem is that they cost somewhere around $135 CDN retail, which isn't exactly what you're looking for. $50 on eBay though, and beat anything any other brand can throw at them for under $250-300ish.

I'm planning to upgrade to them once the headphones I have wear out (which may, however, take quite a while). I currently have Sony MDR-V500DJ. I like them but sometimes they can mess up the highs and sound a bit muffled, which kinda sucks considering I like trance, which is about 70% highs. Reliable as hell though, they've been through hell and high water in the two years I've had them and still no sign of even a piece coming loose, so they're not breaking any time soon.

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-03, 04:48 AM
Here is a great link with a ton of information on a ton of in-canal earbuds, with a great range in price and quality.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-115-iems-compared-monster-miles-davis-tribute-added-10-17#post_6492059

I like this review as it wrote quite good things about my current Thinksounds. :smalltongue:
(Can' say anything about durability yet though, only had them for half a year - they tend to whistle slightly in high winds though)

Before that I had a pair of quite cheap Sony IEM, worked splendidly (for a year and a half) although I've later understood that their sound wasn't the greatest. Then I tried a pair of slightly more expensive Skullcandy, better sound but broke fast, terribly fast.

Asthix
2011-04-03, 05:04 AM
Had to sound off about the drop in quality not only for earbuds but mp3 players too. My job allows me to wear a discreet earbud in one ear and apparently the fact that I'm constantly moving is more stress than modern earbuds were designed for. It's very annoying having the wires fray on one side, then the other, on a wide variety of headphones.

Then with mp3 players, (no ipod thanks their drm can bite it) the contacts get loose like crazy. My best mp3 is still one of my oldest, a teeny tiny one from a company called visual land. Only thing wrong with that one is that the battery only lasts 2 & 1/2 hours now.

VanBuren
2011-04-03, 10:47 PM
I'm going to recommend the Sennheiser HD 448 (which just barely crosses the three-digit marker), if you're willing to flex on the "in-ear" thing. If not, then I'd recommend the Etymotic MC5 which are only ~$80, but that doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-03, 10:57 PM

Lotta very well-informed folks would disagree with you, there. No point in debating it, really, but one thing I can promise, from personal experience, Sony does not lag behind in is professional microphones (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C800G/).

Sacrieur
2011-04-04, 12:03 AM
So I picked up some Skullcandy INK'D earbuds today. So far, good. Very good for the cheap price ($20). They're much better quality than anything Sony is pumping out for the same price.

They have good bass and sound quality. Very good earbuds if you're looking for something good and cheap. They're noise cancelling, so that's always extremely nice. The one thing I've heard about Skullcandy headphones is that they're good, but you need to take care of them. I won't just be throwing these around all willy-nilly.

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-04, 07:53 AM
Lotta very well-informed folks would disagree with you, there. No point in debating it, really, but one thing I can promise, from personal experience, Sony does not lag behind in is professional microphones (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C800G/).

So, what significance does a full marks for a microphone which cost $9000 have on the quality of Sony headphones costing <$100*?
*ie. not a trillion dollars.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-04, 07:16 PM
I dunno, but I've spent many a lonely afternoon reading up about recording gear, and I'll be damned if I have to pass up an opportunity to shoehorn anecdotes about mics the size of your forearm into unrelated topics. :smalltongue:

No, it's because Sony makes a lot of great gear, including microphones, and including $100 headphones.

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-05, 12:04 AM
I dunno, but I've spent many a lonely afternoon reading up about recording gear, and I'll be damned if I have to pass up an opportunity to shoehorn anecdotes about mics the size of your forearm into unrelated topics. :smalltongue:

Fair enough.

shiram
2011-04-05, 08:53 AM
Sony has some good headphones, the above mentionned 7506 is an example.
Just don't expect much quality in anything under 70 or so bucks from them.

Companies that I trust in headphone from personal use are Shure, Sennheiser and Audio-Technica.

Irbis
2011-04-09, 07:40 AM

I bet you similar, even better equipment made by other companies costs 1/4 to 1/2 of that :P

No, it's because Sony makes a lot of great gear, including microphones, and including $100 headphones.

The quality isn't the issue (though most of what they produce is very poor), the fact it costs 2-3x times more than it should is.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-10, 01:32 AM
I bet you similar, even better equipment made by other companies costs 1/4 to 1/2 of that :P

I, for one, prefer other mics, but there's a laundry list of professionals who'd rather use a C800, and who'm I to disagree with Dr. Dre? :smalltongue: