PDA

View Full Version : Good old fashioned dungeon crawl [IC] [Party #1]

sazzer
2011-03-28, 03:20 PM
You've heard stories about this place. Rumours of the dangers that lie under the innocuous looking hillside, and the treasures that lie inside. Some say it's nothing more than an old cave system that some beasts have set up residence in. Others say it's actually the crypt of an age old draconic lord, the likes of which haven't been seen in the world for centuries.

Whatever the truth behind this place, you are here now and will find out for yourself, or die trying...

After a couple of days trek from the nearest village, you find yourself at the hillside itself. By now you are almost beginning to wonder if the place is real or is as much a legend as what is meant to be inside. After arriving, and searching around for a bit you find a stone doorway built into the ground, heavily overgrown. Prying the door open reveals stairs down into a dark shadowy corridor, which itself comes to an end after what looks like 10 to 15 feet...

ghostaxe
2011-03-28, 03:37 PM
"Well, no sense just standing about then. Let's get going!" Gamprey looks around. "I guess it's just the 4 of us then? I would have preferred a slightly larger group, but I guess this is fine."

Gamprey waves his holy symbol about while chanting a spell. A moment later, everyone in the group feels invigored with righteous power.

Persisted Bless on everyone. +1 morale to attack rolls and will saves vs. fear.

Persisted Lesser Vigor already casted on myself.

Wiz828
2011-03-28, 03:39 PM
James

After taking a glance down the stairs, James turns to his comrades. "Well, I hope someone remembered to bring a torch this time. I will take the lead down the stairs if you all don't mind."
James then starts checking his weapons and armor one last time while waiting for the others to get ready.

chrisrawr
2011-03-28, 05:43 PM
Gary fumbles on a stair in the dark, crashing down the rest of the way in his heavy armor, yelling and cursing as he falls. Hopefully everyone got out of the way in time.

sazzer
2011-03-28, 05:50 PM
You make your way down the stairs and to the end of the short passageway ahead of you. The floor under your feet is covered in broken, uneven flagstones, but the walls look solid enough. The entire area is coated in shadow, making it difficult to see more than a couple of dozen feet ahead of you.

When you reach the end of the passageway, you have a solid stone door to your immediate right, and the corridor leads away to your left for about 20 feet before turning away again. By the sounds of it, your crashing down the stairs has disturbed something behind the door but you can't tell what...

ghostaxe
2011-03-28, 05:53 PM
Gamprey looks annoyed at his new friend's clumsiness, and hands him a torch. "Have a torch. I have 4 more, if anyone else needs one.

Well then, I heard something behind that door. Everyone ready?"

Gamprey kicks down the door after everyone readies actions.

chrisrawr
2011-03-28, 05:54 PM
"Found the door!" Gary cries. "Anybody got a light? I can probably smash it if I get a running start." Gary doesn't seem too sure of himself, especially after his fall.

sazzer
2011-03-28, 06:12 PM
You kick the door, and it swings open under your weight revealing a large room - 55'x55' - behind. Before you even see into the room, the first thing you notice is the horrible smell that is coming from it - a cross between rotten flesh and something much worse. The ceiling of the room has a large number of stone stalactites hanging down from it, but otherwise the room seems to be of similar construction to the corridor you have just come from. There are lamps set into the walls, such that the outsides are reasonably brightly lit but the center of the room is in shadow. Piled against the northern wall (You entered from the south-east) are a number of broken shields and weapons, and standing over them is the re-animated remains of a Troglodyte warrior who is moving towards you.

Initiative please. And the troglodyte is about 70' away from you at present

chrisrawr
2011-03-28, 06:32 PM
[roll0]
"RRRAHHHHHHG!" Gary screams, beginning to charge towards the door. He stops after a couple of steps, wheezing, realizing he'd never make it all the way.

ghostaxe
2011-03-28, 06:37 PM
Wait, is the reanimated trogdolyte a skeleton or a zombie? Depending on the answer, Gamprey may need to use a different weapon.

Init: [roll0]

"Um... sorry guys," mutters Gamprey sheepishly. "I'm no good at actually turning undead..."

If Skeleton:

Gamprey closes 30' (so he's 40' away from monster), and readies an action to attack the monster with his morningstar if it gets within melee range.

readied attack:

attack: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] (bludgeon)

If zombie:

Gamprey closes 30' (so he's 40' away from monster), and draws his dagger.

The Big Orc
2011-03-28, 06:59 PM
init [roll0]
Slyfin draws his bow and prepares too fire

sorry it took me so long to post, i thought i had subscribed to the ooc

Wiz828
2011-03-28, 07:01 PM
James

Having just been bowled over by Gary, James takes a moment to regain his bearings. Blast that crazy idiot. he thinks to himself while Gary and Gamprey kick in the doorway.

He is still busy dusting himself off and checking all the seams of his armour, when he hears Gamprey speak of "turning undead". Instantly only one thought is on his mind.

"Move away friends! I shall smite this evil soulless creature!" he yells and runs into the room, sword in hand.

James will make a double move into the room straight towards the zombie trog the moment he spots it.
Initiative [roll0]

The Big Orc
2011-03-28, 07:01 PM
OOC: if you dont mind, slyfin is going to fire instead of just prepare to fire

attack roll [roll0] +1 bless(21)
damage [roll1]

sazzer
2011-03-29, 03:47 AM
Gamprey closes in on the zombie, getting his dagger ready, just as Slyfin fires an arrow at the foul thing. The arrow strikes home, but embeds itself in the creatures thigh without slowing it at all. Realising what is going on, James charges into the fray as well as the Troglodyte turns it's attention on Slyfin and heads towards him, lumbering straight past James on its way.

Initiative order:
Slyfin 23
Gamprey 23
James 6
Troglodyte 2
Gary -3

The Troglodyte is now within 15' of both James and Gamprey, and 40' from Gary and Slyfin

chrisrawr
2011-03-29, 05:07 AM
Gary takes a few steps to get into position, and then charges the beastie. Later he would deny it, but his battle-cry sounded something like "WLRAUGHULRAUGHR!"

Upon reaching the Troglodyte, Gary realizes he has no clue what he's doing, so he simply slams into the poor beastie.

Gary moves 20 feet to get into a charging position, and then charges. He makes a bull-rush attempt. [roll0]

Wiz828
2011-03-29, 05:23 AM
James

"Die, spawn of evil!" James roars and charges straight at the zombie.

Charge attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

PS: If the zombie lumbers straight past James, wouldnt he get an AO?

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 05:26 AM
Gamprey looks at his dagger and laments, "I should have brought a bigger knife!"

He moves to the zombie (opposite Gary's position) and slices at it anyway.

Attack: [roll0] (with flanking bonus)

sazzer
2011-03-29, 06:24 AM
Map

Map at the end of Round 1
http://grahamcox.co.uk/dc/1/Level1Room3Round1.png
Black letters represent the class of the character. Red letters represent monsters
F = Fighter = Gary
R = Ranger = Slyfin
P = Paladin = James
C = Cleric = Gamprey
T = Troglodyte

The Big Orc
2011-03-29, 09:56 AM
Slyfin fires at the troglodyte again.
[roll0] (minus penalties for shooting into melee)
[roll1]

sazzer
2011-03-29, 11:25 AM
As the zombie lumbered past James, he took a well-timed swing and took a chunk out of it's arm. Seeing it coming for him, Slyfin takes another shot embedding an arrow in it's chest but again it is totally unfazed by this. Gamprey and James both charge in slicing at the thing, Gamprey taking another chunk out of it but James' slice goes just wide. In response, the Zombie takes a bite at the Paladin - but bites down on your chain shirt instead of any flesh - just as Gary charges headlong into him knocking him flying back

Zombie attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

I've moved the Zombie back only 5' from the bull rush - Gamprey and James both get an Attack of Opportunity from that. No flank bonus for Gamprey this turn I'm afraid as you made your attack before Gary charged into it.

New map:
http://grahamcox.co.uk/dc/1/Level1Room3Round2.png

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 11:40 AM
Gamprey holds his dagger out before him as gary shoves the zombie into the weapon's way. The cleric quickly draws it back after the zombie goes by, careful not to hurt his teammate.

AoO Attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

The Big Orc
2011-03-29, 11:54 AM
Not wanting to shoot into melee, Slyfin puts his Longbow back onto his back and draws his longsword.

Wiz828
2011-03-29, 12:05 PM
James

Seeing the zombie getting bowled over now by Gary, puts a smile on James' face. He quickly strikes out with his sword again to take advantage of the situation.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

sazzer
2011-03-29, 12:14 PM
Gamprey brings his weapon in for another slice, leaving the zombie oozing badly now, whilst James pulls his attack short so as to not injury Gary...

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 01:14 PM
OOC:

Oh, right, I guess it's our normal turn now, after the AoO from last time.

Gamprey considers his own success with the dagger and James's relative lack of success with the longsword. "Eh, maybe the dagger's fine. Big swords seem to hit less often."

Gamprey moves in to attack the zombie again (trying to move to flanking position with respect to Gary).

Attack: [roll0] (-2 if flanking not possible with a single move action)

chrisrawr
2011-03-29, 02:37 PM
Gary looks at his shoulder and chest, covered in ichor, and a low moan starts in his throat - quickly growing into a full, throaty wail. "By the gods this is foul, how am I ever going to clean this off?"

Wiz828
2011-03-29, 02:59 PM
James

James looks at Gary. "Quit your whining boy! And move out of the way, its time to put this corpse to rest once and for all!"
James moves into a flanking position opposite Gamprey, since Gary isn't actually hitting the zombie, and lashes out with both his sword and his shield.

5ft move + full attack, James will push Gary aside if he has to to flank the zombie.
Attack Sword [roll0]
Damage Sword [roll1]
Attack Shield [roll2]
Damage Shield [roll3]

sazzer
2011-03-29, 03:19 PM
Gamprey strikes the zombie again, knocking it just askew enough for James' sword to go wide but his shield bashes it right in the head, causing it to just crumple to the floor at your feet

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 03:38 PM
Gamprey looks at the corpse and says, "Sorry guys, I don't have a spell of Purify Food and Water prepared."

He looks around to see if there are any other features of note in the room (doors, treasure, etc) (Search take 20 = 22).

chrisrawr
2011-03-29, 03:41 PM
"That's alright. How about a rag? My pack got stolen. It's a good thing I sleep in this armour, or this goop might have touched my skin!"

Gary continues ineffectually rubbing goop off of his armour, making disgusted sounds and clanking around the room.

The Big Orc
2011-03-29, 04:00 PM
Slyfin will aid Gamprey in searching the room. "Hmmph, blasted undead."

search [roll0]

sazzer
2011-03-29, 04:56 PM
The room is relatively bare, apart from a pile of assorted junk against the north wall. In the south-east - heading east - corner of the room is the door you came through, and in the north-west corner - heading north - is another solid wooden door. At regular intervals around the outside wall of the room are oil lamps in glass shells, about half of them still burning.

ghostaxe
2011-03-30, 12:01 PM
"Well, no sense letting these lie around for other people or monsters," notes the cleric as he stuffs all of the oil lamps into his pack. "Onwards then?"

Gamprey opens the door at the northwestern corner.

sazzer
2011-03-30, 12:11 PM
The hinges creak loudly, as of a door not used in a long time, but the door swings open to reveal a long corridor ahead. There are no lights in the corridor except those coming from the door but you can make out a wall at the end about 50' away from you.

chrisrawr
2011-03-30, 12:16 PM
Screaming, charging blindly through the door the moment it opens, Gary's poor choice of angle takes him into a corridor wall a few steps in. He doesn't quite clatter to the floor, but it was a close thing.

ghostaxe
2011-03-30, 01:04 PM
Gamprey sighs, and moves forward to help his clumsy new friend to his feet. "How do you manage to get back up when there's no one else around?"

Gamprey's torch has been affixed to his shield using some adhesives, so the light illuminates the corridor.

Wait, Chris, you don't have Endurance, so wouldn't you be fatigued for sleeping in Medium armor?

The Big Orc
2011-03-30, 01:13 PM
Slyfin goes through the door and looks around for an exit from the corridor.

slyfin has LLV incase it matters
spot [roll0]
search [roll1]

Wiz828
2011-03-30, 01:14 PM
James

"Onwards we go!"
James moves past Gary and Gamprey and advances down the corridor, sword still in hand.

chrisrawr
2011-03-30, 01:15 PM
"Thanks, friend. Mostly I roll from place to place, truth be told." Gary smiles and winks, before resuming his customarily anxious expression.

The Big Orc
2011-03-30, 01:43 PM
"There is a T-junction at the end, also I hear a sound at the end. One of you worthless humans go first," Slyfin says while drawing his bow and knocking an arrow.

ghostaxe
2011-03-30, 01:49 PM
Gamprey shrugs and takes the lead, turning left (westward) at the junction unless he something else that requires his immediate attention.

sazzer
2011-03-30, 01:57 PM
As Gamprey turns at the junction, something jumps onto his back from the shadows and nips him on the neck.

1 hp of damage, plus a Fortitude save vs 13 or fall asleep for one minute. Then Initiative for everyone

The Big Orc
2011-03-30, 02:04 PM
initiative [roll0]
attack roll [roll1] (i took off 4 for shooting into melee)
damage [roll2] (+1 too attack and damage if its within 30ft)

ghostaxe
2011-03-30, 03:29 PM
Did this already account for my DR 2/- from armor? If not, then Gamprey takes 0 damage, and IIRC when damage gets reduced to 0 from DR then other effects (such as poison) don't apply

Fort save: [roll0]

sazzer
2011-03-30, 05:40 PM
Map!

http://grahamcox.co.uk/dc/1/Level1Encounter1Round1.png

Initiative order:
Slyfin = Ranger @ 22
James = Paladin @ 15
Gamprey = Cleric @ 12
Homunculus @ 12
Gary = Fighter @ 4

ghostaxe
2011-03-30, 06:17 PM
Nothing I can't handle!" shouts Gamprey.

Attack: [roll0]

Wiz828
2011-04-01, 03:59 PM
James

James moves to Gamprey and whatever evil creature is attacking him and attempt to slice it in two evil halves.

James moves to the square right below Gamprey and attacks the homunculus, if this is not possible he will still move there and tell Gamprey to move 5 foot back.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

The Big Orc
2011-04-07, 08:33 AM
Slyfin attempts to position himself were he has a shot at the homunculous.

attack [roll0] (-4 shooting into melee, +1 bless, +1 within 30ft)
dmg [roll1] (+1 within 30ft)

chrisrawr
2011-04-07, 11:03 AM
Gary, not wanting to crush any of his fellows, dances nervously from one foot to another. He's ready to charge, but he's got nowhere to go.

((OOC: move north 10 feet, ready charge action. HE'S SO ANTSY IT'S ADORABLE! Sorry for not posting, was waiting on my initiative order :<))

sazzer
2011-04-08, 07:16 AM
Seeing what is happening, Slyfin readies and looses an arrow but it clips the wall and catches in a crack, whilst James charges in but misses the tiny creature attacking Gamprey. Gamprey manages to get a swing in and does a nasty blow to the creature, which in turn bites back at his arm nicking some exposed skin, and whilst the damage is almost unnoticable there is an instant effect as the cleric drops to the ground.

Attack: [roll0]

Gamprey suffered 1hp of damage after DR, and [badly] failed fortitude save so is asleep for 1 minute.

http://grahamcox.co.uk/dc/1/Level1Encounter1Round2.png
Initiative order:
Slyfin = Ranger @ 22
James = Paladin @ 15
Gamprey = Cleric @ 12
Homunculus @ 12
Gary = Fighter @ 4