PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e NPC PrC] The Henchman (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-03-28, 09:09 PM
I quite enjoyed making my PC-Proof class, so I decided to keep the somewhat useful, somewhat 4th Wall-breaking NPC PrCs coming. So I present to you: THE HENCHMAN. The perfect minion for PCs and Mad Scientists alike.

The Henchman
http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/NodwickStats/Nodwick.jpg
"Yeah. I'm a Henchman. I carry stuff, mostly. The heroes mostly forget about me or lead me into traps. I'm okay with it though. Gets me paid at least. Sometimes.

What's-his-face, Henchman

Henchmen are a needed aspect of society. They do the grunt-work for the big guys (Heroes and Villains). They specialize in being handy for whatever menial chore is required of them and carrying whatever their patron requires. Most characters expect their minions to have these abilities without realizing that they are actually special features of this Prestige Class.

Becoming a Henchman
Henchmen choose to follow a great person in order to get fed and possibly help their cause along. Henchmen need do no more than choose to start carrying stuff and shoveling up the mounts' feces to become a true Henchman.

Entry Requirements
Skills: Profession (Henchman) 6
Special: Must have a patron whom they serve loyally (if somewhat sarcastically).

Skill points at each level: 2+Intelligence Modifier
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Hit Dice: d4

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st

+0

+0

+0

+0
Improved Carrying Capacity, Fear Immunity

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+0
Trudging

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+1
Durable

4th

+2

+1

+1

+1
Prepared

5th

+2

+1

+1

+1
Never Far Behind

Improved Carrying Capacity: One of the primary jobs of the Henchman is to carry stuff around for their patrons. Starting at first level, Henchmen increase their maximum carrying capacity. They are treated as if their Strength score was (Henchmen Level X 2) higher than it is for terms of calculating their loads.

Fear Immunity: Henchmen follow people around who tend to do really, really stupid things. They follow anyways, because it's their job. It's not that the Henchmen are brave, so much as apathetic to the danger.

Trudging: Henchmen walk a lot. Through all sorts of horrid conditions. And they're expected to keep walking, despite their massive amount of carried items. They are immune to nonlethal damage from Forced Marches and their speed is not hindered at Medium Load.

Durable: Henchmen aren't much use if they're dead. At 3rd level they gain the ability to survive a deal more, even if they still end up unconscious. They now die at -10 X Class Level instead of at -10. This allows Henchmen to survive most of the horrors bestowed upon them by their patrons. A bit of healing and they're good to go.

Prepared: Main characters always need stuff. Often really random stuff. Luckily, you carry random stuff. Mostly this is junk you've been handed but your patron has forgotten about. You have 50gp of unassigned, nonmagical gear at your disposal. This is reset whenever you and your patron are having some downtime at an area where you have access to various items and your patron expends 50gp which seem to vanish into thin air.

Never Far Behind: No matter what happens, a Henchman is never far behind them. It's often not hard to find them, given the glaring path of destruction that they leave. As a result, if they are ever separated, barring extenuating circumstances, Henchmen always catch up with their owners within 24 hours. Always.

Design Note: I decided to lower the skill requirement down to 6, thus allowing entry at level 4. This makes it much more accessible to random commoners. It also means that it's plausible to have Henchmen followers, rather than only as Cohorts...

So... Thoughts?

jiriku
2011-03-28, 10:29 PM
Needs MOAR! I'd suggest carrying capacity x10, and immunity to nonlethal damage from forced marches.

Welknair
2011-03-28, 10:39 PM
Needs MOAR! I'd suggest carrying capacity x10, and immunity to nonlethal damage from forced marches.

A wild poster appears!

I changed Trudge as suggested, but I think that X10 carrying capacity would be a bit... excessive. Not to mention I'd like it to scale so the primary drawing force of the PrC keeps coming as the NPC progresses in levels.

jiriku
2011-03-28, 11:48 PM
That's what I meant. Add Henchman level x10 to Strength for carrying capacity. Have you SEEN the size of Patsy's pack in Holy Grail?

Welknair
2011-03-28, 11:54 PM
Hmm. Bumping up the multiplier would be doable. However, a bonus of LevelX10... So that'd be an average effective Str 60 for carrying capacity calculations at 5th level of this class.

My math comes out to 116,480 lb Max Cap.

Uh... His pack wasn't that large.

As it is you'd have an average max cap of 400lb with no movement penalty at 266. That's not bad at all.