PDA

View Full Version : Banned IP Address?

abadguy
2011-03-30, 10:25 PM
I occasionally get a "Sorry but the administrator has banned your IP Address" message when I post from home. Funny thing is when I refresh a couple of times, the message goes away. Any ideas how I can avoid this?

2xMachina
2011-03-31, 01:27 AM
I suspect you're on Dynamic IP, and acquired a banned IP. (The banned fella probably is in the same IP range, and your ISP redistributed it to you)

abadguy
2011-03-31, 02:18 AM
Yeah almost no one has a fixed IP where I'm at. So just keep doing the refreshing thing huh?

Renegade Paladin
2011-03-31, 02:44 AM
Which of course means that banning the IP of whoever it was aimed at is probably also a waste of time, as he can also refresh and get around it.

Trixie
2011-03-31, 03:25 AM
It can also mean that, if he does it enough times his new adress will be banned as a precaution, too, by bot or by one of the mods.

Spartacus
2011-03-31, 07:08 AM
I seem to recall dynamic IP addresses being a reason this forum has a tendency to not ban IP addresses, if at all possible.

Obrysii
2011-03-31, 07:49 AM
I seem to recall dynamic IP addresses being a reason this forum has a tendency to not ban IP addresses, if at all possible.

It's a good policy for a number of reasons.

You IP ban someone, and they happen to be in a college dorm using college wifi ... and suddenly the whole college can't use the forum.

Wikipedia has that same problem - they'll ban a certain IP and then suddenly a university can no longer contribute.

Roland St. Jude
2011-03-31, 12:42 PM
Sheriff: I'm going to lock this now to avoid additional pointless speculation. If there's an answer, Rawhide can provide it through the lock.