PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Quasi Homebrewed Super-Hero System: Advice Needed!

wayfare
2011-03-31, 01:32 PM
Hey, all!

I'm working on a homebrewed level-based superhero system that uses psionic powers to emulate superhero powers. Its pretty simple:

At 1st level the hero gains 1 1st rank psionic power from any list. Every 2 levels thereafter, he may choose another psionic power of the next highest rank (at level 3 you gain a rank 2 power). Optionally, you can gain a power of a lower level if you choose. These powers are taken from the SRD, with no changes. Once you choose your power, its a permanent part of your character, and can only be changed due to plot related developments.

I'm looking for advice concerning the feats and homebrewed powers below. I'll be adding new stuff periodically after my 1st test session gets off the ground.

Please feel free to offer any advice you see fit. The playground is always a big help for homebrew!

--Wayfare

*Disclaimer: Yes, I know about Mutants and Masterminds. I have played it. It is awesome. This, I think, will be awesome in a different way.

wayfare
2011-03-31, 01:33 PM
Reserved for Powers and whatnot

Mighty Blow
Level: 1
Display: None
Manifesting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Swift
Power Points: 1
Description: Your muscles stand out in cords as you deliver an incredibly powerful melee strike.
Effect: On a successful melee attack, double your strength modifier when applying damage. This power only applies to 1 attack each round.
You can manifest this power with an instant thought, quickly enough to gain the benefit of the power on your turn before you attack. Manifesting this power is a swift action, like manifesting a quickened power, and it counts toward the normal limit of one quickened power per round. You cannot manifest this power when it isn’t your turn.
Augment: Every 2 additional power points spent applies the effect of this power to another attack.
If you spend 4 additional power points, any opponent damage by your attack must make a Fortitude Save or be Dazed for 1 round.

wayfare
2011-03-31, 01:34 PM
Reserved for Feats

Gadgeteer
Description: Your powers manifest as high-tech equipment rather than supernatural abilities.
Effect: When you gain a new power, it manifests as a piece of equipment that has a pre-set number of powerpoints to power it, chosen when the equipment is created. These power-points are drawn from your pool of Power Points, and cannot be re-allocated until a full day has passed.

Since your powers are derived from equipment, once per session you can choose to lose one power you possess and exchange it for any power of a lesser rank. This power is added to your power list for the duration of the Story. Exchanging a power in this way requires a lab and 1 hour of work per rank of the power (a rank 7 power takes 7 hours to craft). If you do not have access to a lab, the creation time doubles. If you have access to a superior lab, the creation time is halved.

wayfare
2011-03-31, 01:35 PM
Reserved for Rules Changes

Creating a Persistent Power

Some heroes seemingly have unlimited access to their powers, never fatiguing from their use. Heroes with this ability have Persistent Powers, abilities that are inexhaustible.

A power may be designated persistent when it is chosen. A Persistent Power drains the hero of 3 times the normal Power Point cost when it is chosen. These powers may never be regained -- they are permanently invested into the power. Thereafter, the hero may use this power as often as he likes.

Persistent powers can be augmented normally, as if the hero paid the base cost in power points upon activation. Normal maximums for power points apply.

At the GM's discretion, a Persistent power can be permanently augmented. This power is subject to normal power point expenditure rules before its cost is multiplied.

Example: Lightning Lord is a 5th level hero with the ability to throw javelins of lightning at will. He decides that this is a persistent form of the Energy Ray power, maxed out to his level. Lightning Lord augments the power to a cost of 5 pp, and is permanently drained of 15 pp to make the power persistent.