PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ethereal Homebrew Race (Warcraft Conversion, PEACH)

Amnestic
2011-04-01, 11:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Amnestic/tumblr_ma1v6t8EyL1qf98nao1_1280.jpg

"An epic battle! How exciting. I have longed for a good adventure."
~Nexus Prince Shaffar

Cloaked in enchanted wrappings and mystery in equal parts, these extradimensional beings are merchants, traders, thieves and scoundrels. Their unique appearance and unique technology make them an odd sight to behold, and one which bodes ill for those who like their dealings fair.

Personality: Ethereals are collectors of artifacts first and foremost. They might spend thousands of gold on something of no superficial benefit, simply due to it being a rare collectable. Their second and perhaps more recognizable drive is, in one word: Profit. Perhaps to fuel their collections, Ethereals will support and endorse anyone who will increase their profits. The affairs of other races mean little, and more than once you can find Ethereals pulling at strings behind a conflict, playing both sides to further their own nebulous devices.

Physical Description: Ethereals range in size from anywhere between 6' and 14' tall, but weigh almost nothing - normally no more than 5-10lbs, plus equipment. They are beings of energy first, and the material second. Their wrappings are light, the only things which maintain their physical forms and allow them to survive - they have been seen in a number of colours (though grey/white is the most common) and a number of styles. Ethereals lack a defineable gender, though a number of their official titles such as Nexus Prince imply a degree of masculinity. Ethereals, as beings of energy, lack a lifespan.

Perhaps the oddest aspect of their movement is their leaving of 'after images' as they run. Lingering for but a moment, a duplicate image is left behind them as they run. This provides no mechanical bonus.

Relations: Ethereals deal with the other races almost universally out of their own desires and goals. They are as friendly - or unfriendly - as required to maintain a profit stream, whether that be by trading or by killing. They will be pleasant with new acquaintances, if only to help foster potential future dealings. Adventurers are of particular import to them, due to their habit of coming across rare artifacts and having bags full of gold and treasure. Adventurers will always find friends among the Ethereals, as long as they still have things to sell, anyway.

Alignment: Ethereals are almost universally Neutral or Evil, with a strong sense of Lawfulness with their business dealings. There are exceptions, and other Ethereals may not look down upon them for it (though think they're a touch odd), however they are a rarity. Chaotic Good Ethereals are almost entirely unheard of.

Lands: Ethereals have no land of their own anymore. Their homeworld was destroyed long ago by creatures of the Void and since then the survivors have roamed around. While small villages/towns/outposts of Ethereals may be set up on different planes, no new Ethereal world/country has been claimed or tried to be claimed. For the moment, at large, they seem happy to be a less centralised people.

Organisations: Ethereals most often group together in order to better streamline their money-making capabilities, whether this involves simply making a single organisation or setting up an entire trade outpost or taking over a great many shops and vendors in a city.

Religion: Ethereals as a race have no religious affiliation to speak of. Some may take up a religion on the side (perhaps honouring deities of wealth and trade), though this isn't likely.

Language: Ethereals speak a language not understood by outsiders and simply referred to at large as "Ethereal". Outsiders - no matter how friendly - are not privy to learn this language and any Ethereal caught teaching it to a non-Ethereal is hunted down and 'disappeared'. In addition, Ethereals speak whatever languages will encourage trade. This is most often Common, but due to their extraplanar travels they may also have knowledge of other tongues such as Celestial, Abyssal etc.

Names: Example Names: Bashir, Fath, Hayyam, Jaul, Shaffar, Yasar.

Adventurers: For Ethereals, adventuring is just another way to turn a profit. Slightly more bloody and dangerous than most of their dealings, however it allows them to seek out objects that others might not be willing or able to acquire. They keep their eyes on the prize and are willing to work with others to get what they desire; long forged bonds with adventurers are often profitable for Ethereals decades into the future.

Racial Traits

Humanoid (Ethereal). Should an Ethereal be reduced to -10HP, its energy dissipates and vanishes. Ethereals can only be returned to life via a Wish, Limited Wish, Miracle or True Resurrection spell. In addition, they take 1.5x damage from spells or enchantments specifically focused against Incorporeal creatures such as Ghost Touch Weapons.
-2 penalty to the Ethereals opposing Strength checks while being Bullrushed or Overrun. The penalty increases to -4 if the Ethereal is [i]Large sized.
Treat encumberance limits for the Ethereal as if they are one size category smaller than they are. Medium Ethereals would have an encumberance limit of a Small creature; Large Ethereals have the encumberance limit of a Medium creature.
+2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution. Ethereals have vast intelligences and silver tongues, but their wrappings are weak and frail.
Medium or Large (See Level Adjustment)
Base land speed of 30'
Standard vision
Ethereals do not breathe, eat, thirst or sleep.
Immune to Poison, Sleep Effects, Fatigue and Exhaustion.
+2 racial bonus to Appraise and Gather Information checks.
At 12HD, the Ethereal can cast Dimension Door as a Spell-Like ability ChaMod times per day (minimum 1). He casts this as a Sorcerer level equal to his HD (maximum CL 20).
Ethereals know Ethereal and one other language (not necessarily Common) as their base languages.
Favoured Class: Artificers/Wizards.
Level Adjustment: +0. Ethereals which are Large sized have a Level Adjustment +1.

Thoughts/views/ideas? I don't want to go above +0 as a base Medium Size LA, but I'm not really sure if it's balanced against the immunities and whatnot.

urkthegurk
2011-04-02, 01:02 PM
The 'never being raised' penalty isn't very good for balance (since it only comes into effect once) and its just kind of mean. It doesn't make sense from a fluff perspective either. Why couldn't all mighty ZEUS reverse its death? He could at least make a perfect replica of it, for all intents and purposes, and graft its memory on. Which is pretty much what True Resurrection would do. Its weird that one of the only hard restrictions for a deities power comes from a zero-level character race.

I like the added damage from ghost touch, though. I'd try and expanding on that, maybe reducing the load they can carry without being encumbered, (which would actually be a penalty, because of their focus on collecting) and maybe making it easy for them to be bull rushed, knocked prone, or overrun. ?

Noxsis
2011-04-02, 02:00 PM
i think you should add something like dimension door to them(this is one of my favorite warcraft monsters)

Amnestic
2011-04-02, 06:28 PM
i think you should add something like dimension door to them(this is one of my favorite warcraft monsters)

Hmm. DD is a 4th Level Bard/Wiz/Sorc spell which means the minimum level to acquire it is 10/7/8...hmm...okay.

The 'never being raised' penalty isn't very good for balance (since it only comes into effect once) and its just kind of mean. It doesn't make sense from a fluff perspective either. Why couldn't all mighty ZEUS reverse its death? He could at least make a perfect replica of it, for all intents and purposes, and graft its memory on. Which is pretty much what True Resurrection would do. Its weird that one of the only hard restrictions for a deities power comes from a zero-level character race.

I like the added damage from ghost touch, though. I'd try and expanding on that, maybe reducing the load they can carry without being encumbered, (which would actually be a penalty, because of their focus on collecting) and maybe making it easy for them to be bull rushed, knocked prone, or overrun. ?

Hmm. I added the "no resurrection" thing because they're essentially beings made up of energy and it seemed a little weird for a resurrection spell to bring them back. Perhaps reducing it to the Wish/Limited Wish/Miracle line? I'm loathe to include True Resurrection...but I see your point.

I like the idea of reducing encumberance and a vulnerability to bullrush/overrun. The latter would likely be fixed once they reach the level to acquire a Haversack - and more than a few DMs (including myself) overlook encumberance until it gets really silly - but it'll function handily as an additional restriction.

Come Robin, to the Editmobile!

Dvandemon
2011-04-02, 06:46 PM
"Unique technology" makes me think you'll come up with some Ethereal unique items later on

Personality:[/B] Ethereals are collectors of artifacts first and foremost. They might spend thousands of gold on something of no superficial benefit, simply due to it being a rare collectable. Their second and perhaps more recognizable drive is, in one word: Profit. Perhaps to fuel their collections, Ethereals will support and endorse anyone who will increase their profits. The affairs of other races mean little, and more than once you can find Ethereals pulling at strings behind a conflict, playing both sides to further their own nebulous devices.

Sorry, but this line had me laughing thinking they were some sort of obsessive, nerdy collectors XD