PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick

Dr.Epic
2011-04-02, 08:43 PM
What am I sick of? Being sick.:smallwink: (applause)

I've been sick all day. Last night I was gaming with some friends and I think I caught something there. I was fine before I was hanging out with them, but as the night progressed I felt myself feeling worse. I've been ill all day. I got up at noon just to eat soup, then went back to bed until dinner to eat more soup. I've been up for awhile as I went out to Best Buy to get blank CDs and then Barnes & Nobles for Swamp Thing which I probably won't start for a week or two. I'm probably going to be in bed by 10 PM. I gotta meet with some people about a group project. Doubt I'll be feeling good by then.

Giovedi
2011-04-02, 08:57 PM
Ouch. I know how you feel! I'm on immunosuppressors and catch pretty much everything.

<mother mode>

Be sure to drink plenty of fluids and inhale as much steam as you can.

</mother mode>

Perenelle
2011-04-02, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry. :smallfrown: Maybe you should stay home or "meet" over the phone so you can rest and not spread your sickness?

Be sure to drink plenty of fluids and inhale as much steam as you can.

Inhale steam? :smallconfused:

Orzel
2011-04-02, 09:04 PM
Shovel your face over a pot of boiling water (with tea in it) with a towel over your head!

Clears up stuff good.

Xefas
2011-04-02, 09:05 PM

It's a popular home remedy for easing congestion.

Sacrieur
2011-04-02, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry. :smallfrown: Maybe you should stay home or "meet" over the phone so you can rest and not spread your sickness?

Only useful for congestion. It helps break up mucous in the lungs, as well as aiding slightly in hydration.

---

Vitamin D supplements may help, depending on what it is. It has an effect on cold and flu, but other viruses... no so much.

As for when you got sick... It wasn't the night before. Allow me to make this clear that you don't get sick so fast from viruses typically. There's an incubation period of a few days up to a few weeks (in the case of mono, 3 months). You will be sick and contagious, but you'll be asymptomatic.

Aside from that, if you're not feeling too bad some light exercise is beneficial. Eat if your hungry, don't eat if you're not. Take some meds. Ibuprofen, dayquil, etc... These will help relieve your symptoms and really help you not feel like crap.

And please don't go out and infect other people.

Agamid
2011-04-02, 09:08 PM
urg, that sucks :( what orzel said though.

my immune system has been slacking off on all the little things lately so i'm anticipating getting sick. trying to take extra care of myself though as i'm trying to move interstate and work as much as i can before i go.

this time last year i was coming down with a flu that lasted 2 months, year before i was in the midst of a 3 month flu... so really, really don't want a repeat of either of the previous years.

Perenelle
2011-04-02, 09:11 PM
It's a popular home remedy for easing congestion.

Only useful for congestion. It helps break up mucous in the lungs, as well as aiding slightly in hydration.

Ah, I see. I might try that sometime...

Orzel
2011-04-02, 09:18 PM
Yes, stay away from people if possible.

I clug 64 floz of OJ and hot liquids each a week during the winter months. Worked this year. Still have all my sick days.

Helanna
2011-04-02, 09:40 PM
Bleeghh, illness. That sucks.

I used to not get sick very much, but then I started working in customer service. Now I can't remember the last time I wasn't feeling at least slightly sick. :smallyuk: Remember people, if you're sick and pass it to a store employee, they can then spread it to hundreds of people, who will spread it back to more store employees. It's a vicious cycle. :smallfrown:

Glass Mouse
2011-04-03, 06:19 AM
As for when you got sick... It wasn't the night before. Allow me to make this clear that you don't get sick so fast from viruses typically. There's an incubation period of a few days up to a few weeks (in the case of mono, 3 months). You will be sick and contagious, but you'll be asymptomatic.

I was taught that the incubation period is usually 3-4 days (that's maybe just for the most common viruses?).

Dr. Epic, if you can't eat, drink some (NOT artificially sweetened) juice. Your body will thank you for giving it something to work with.

And if you're sick, STAY IN BED!

Seriously. Unless you're completely unexpendable, you'll be better off at home. There's sources of infection everywhere - heck, even the ground is downright nasty - and with a weakened immune system, you're more receptive to the uglier diseases. You really don't wanna end up with a bacterial infection.

Besides, I find that when I get sick, it's because there's something wrong which made me unable to repel it. For me, that something is usually stress and/or not enough sleep.
Maybe take a look at what has made your body weak enuogh to catch something? It's worth fixing, in any case.

grimbold
2011-04-03, 06:46 AM
I am sorry my good doctor.
I am ill as well

Lhurgyof
2011-04-03, 11:22 AM
What am I sick of? Being sick.:smallwink: (applause)

I've been sick all day. Last night I was gaming with some friends and I think I caught something there. I was fine before I was hanging out with them, but as the night progressed I felt myself feeling worse. I've been ill all day. I got up at noon just to eat soup, then went back to bed until dinner to eat more soup. I've been up for awhile as I went out to Best Buy to get blank CDs and then Barnes & Nobles for Swamp Thing which I probably won't start for a week or two. I'm probably going to be in bed by 10 PM. I gotta meet with some people about a group project. Doubt I'll be feeling good by then.

Hey! I got sick at my friend's house gaming too!

Sacrieur
2011-04-03, 02:55 PM
I was taught that the incubation period is usually 3-4 days (that's maybe just for the most common viruses?).

Dr. Epic, if you can't eat, drink some (NOT artificially sweetened) juice. Your body will thank you for giving it something to work with.

And if you're sick, STAY IN BED!

Seriously. Unless you're completely unexpendable, you'll be better off at home. There's sources of infection everywhere - heck, even the ground is downright nasty - and with a weakened immune system, you're more receptive to the uglier diseases. You really don't wanna end up with a bacterial infection.

Besides, I find that when I get sick, it's because there's something wrong which made me unable to repel it. For me, that something is usually stress and/or not enough sleep.
Maybe take a look at what has made your body weak enuogh to catch something? It's worth fixing, in any case.

Juice is good. And yes, you can be sick from more than one thing at once, which is another good reason not to go out.

Incubation period varies based on what virus it is. For influenza and rhinovirus it is only a few days (2-5 or so). Others, such as HIV, have an incubation period of around six weeks.

Glass Mouse
2011-04-03, 03:07 PM
Incubation period varies based on what virus it is. For influenza and rhinovirus it is only a few days (2-5 or so). Others, such as HIV, have an incubation period of around six weeks.

Ah, so my parents (both doctors) weren't completely off, good to know :smallwink:

Thanks for elaborating.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-03, 05:25 PM
Feeling better, but still not completely well.

Half-orc Bard
2011-04-03, 05:29 PM
Oh my god YES!!!! Your name is referencing Dr.Horrible!

Dr.Epic
2011-04-03, 05:31 PM
Oh my god YES!!!! Your name is referencing Dr.Horrible!

Did you just realize this?

Half-orc Bard
2011-04-03, 05:34 PM
Yah I don't usually look at the boxes under posts

Dr.Epic
2011-04-03, 05:37 PM
Yah I don't usually look at the boxes under posts

Even so, you never noticed my avatar or screen name.

Half-orc Bard
2011-04-03, 05:44 PM
The freeze ray looks like a hand gun and altogether it doesnt look that much like Dr. Horrible if you don't already know its supposed to, and Dr. Epic could very well have no connecetion to Dr. Horrible

Dr.Epic
2011-04-04, 05:30 PM
Why am I still sick and why do I have class? Maybe I'll talk to my teacher and see if he'll let me out early.

Lord Loss
2011-04-04, 06:03 PM
I know how you feel, man. I have some thing that makes it so that when I cough, my entire body goes into spasms and the coughs are worse than I've ever seen. I periodically fall off beds, sofas, chairs, etc. while coughing and I'm asked if I'm alright by strangers. On top of it, I always have colds... my cold went away on tuesday-ish and I caught another around thursday. On top of it I always miss school because the coughing makes such a spectacle... :smallannoyed:.

I suggest you do the group project thing over the phone/skype/msn/ whatever or just don't go, I'm sure they'll understand and the last thing you want is to make more people sick. For getting better, sleep well, bathe and keep hydrated.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-05, 12:12 PM
The freeze ray looks like a hand gun and altogether it doesnt look that much like Dr. Horrible if you don't already know its supposed to, and Dr. Epic could very well have no connecetion to Dr. Horrible

...well, it looks more like a Tommy gun than a handgun, but it looks more like a Freeze ray than either.

The Linker
2011-04-05, 05:33 PM
Let's be fair, there's nothing about it that says "freeze ray" unless perhaps you're extremely, extremely familiar with the look of Dr. Horrible's freeze ray. :smalltongue:

Anxe
2011-04-05, 08:30 PM
Let's be fair, there's nothing about it that says "freeze ray" unless perhaps you're extremely, extremely familiar with the look of Dr. Horrible's freeze ray. :smalltongue:

Looks like an egg-beater to me.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-05, 09:40 PM

Well, and if you haven't seen Dr. Horrible, the avatar doesn't remind you of him either.

Runestar
2011-04-06, 06:30 AM
Looks like an egg-beater to me.

Reminds me of a hand drill actually. :smallcool:

grimbold
2011-04-06, 07:08 AM
so Dr. Epic,
are you feeling better now?
I do dearly hope so

Anxe
2011-04-06, 03:41 PM
Reminds me of a hand drill actually. :smallcool:

Yeah, but if you imagine the drill part of it is actually the handle. The handle part of the drill becomes the beater part of the eggbeater.