PDA

View Full Version : Source Code [Spoilers, probably]

Moff Chumley
2011-04-03, 11:11 AM
Anyone seen it? Aside from a few minor quibbles and one larger bone to pick, I thought it was pretty great. I think the main antagonist, the doctor, was a little overacted. He seemed to be trying to convince us he was the bad guy with as much aplomb as he could muster; I think it woulda been a little more effective if they let his actions speak for themselves.

The use of effects was good: they had a lot of opportunities to go all Inception-y, but they kept it relatively mellow. If anything, I thought they coulda made it more subtle still. If the transitions were faster, and less flashy, there was an opportunity to have an element of creepiness, which it feels like they passed on.

Now, my one major quibble:
The movie should've ended with the two of them kissing on the train. The film had the potential to be quite tragic. The ending they used seemed like a cop-out, and it strained suspension of disbelief a little too much. This is clearly just my opinion, but I do think it woulda been more effective.

Szilard
2011-04-03, 11:18 AM
I saw it last night with my girlfriend.

It was... pretty dang good. The movie was enjoyable, especially if you try not to worry about all the scientific mumbo-jumbo they're making up. :smalltongue:

As for the ending, I had also expected it to end at the kiss, but to my surprise, they took it further, and made it happy. I don't know about you, but I kind of like happy endings. While the happy ending did just seem slapped on, at least they dropped hints in the transitions between times, to make it a tad more believeable.

All in all, I liked it. :smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2011-04-03, 11:20 AM
I have nothing against happy endings, and they did drop enough little clues to set it up; it just felt like a missed opportunity, you know?

Szilard
2011-04-03, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I get you. T'would have been bittersweet, guy gets the girl, but now he's dead and frozen in time...

ThePhantasm
2011-04-04, 10:24 AM
I haven't seen the film, but am I right in judging from the trailer that this movie is just a deja vu of the film Deja Vu?

Szilard
2011-04-04, 06:35 PM
Slightly, but not quite. It's also far more twistier.

Reverent-One
2011-04-08, 11:18 PM
Just saw it tonight, and I enjoyed it immensely. I was a bit iffy on this from the trailers alone, but hearing that Duncan Jones made it interested me enough to give it a shot. Between the two of his movies now, Mr. Jones has pretty much earned my total trust in his movie-making abilities.

Though I do agree they could have cut the ending off sooner, made it a bit more mysterious as to what exactly happened. Still, a well done job all around. Also, if you liked this, look up Moon if you haven't already, it's just as good, if not better (I need to re-watch it myself to decide).

Cespenar
2011-04-09, 04:12 AM
They just shouldn't have explained how the machine worked. I don't know but that was a little too much disbelief to suspend on my part.

Also, the ending was a little cheesy, but I suppose if they would finish it with an open ending, it would look too much like Inception, so I can't say much on that.

Otherwise, good movie. Not as good as I expected, but good nevertheless.

kamikasei
2011-04-09, 04:56 PM
I was rolling my eyes at the schmaltz of the ending, but I could forgive concessions to the studio. The part of the ending that was more objectionable, in my eyes (and cracked me up, given that they just didn't seem to see it as an issue) was
that Colter just possessed and, effectively, murdered the final universe's Sean. Happy ending! Accomplished by erasing this person's existence. And I'm sure Christina won't find the fact that the guy she'd actually developed a fondness to has been replaced by a probably psychologically fairly messed-up interloper the least bit troubling.

Overall though, a good movie, solid acting, interesting script. I feel it would have been better if it had been... starker, but then it might never have been made at all (or gotten the exposure it did, at least).

puppyavenger
2011-04-09, 09:53 PM
Just saw this evening, quite enjoyable although I did think they should have just ended it when He died.

Also, the ending they went with has quite a bit of Fridge Logic with it. How is he going to deal with being someone else? How will he remember where he lives and works? how does he figure out who his friends, rival and loved one are? does he have any medical conditions he now doesn't know how to deal with? how will he pay his bills or get cash without knowing his PIN number? and so on.

pita
2011-04-11, 06:30 AM
I hate it when I can outthink a movie, logic wise, without help. I didn't like it much.
Ending it at the kiss would've been much better.