PDA

View Full Version : Clear Fluids

Zocelot
2011-04-04, 06:45 PM
For medical reasons, I've been put on a clear fluid diet for six weeks. I'm one week in, and I'm looking for any variety I can add to the diet. Right now, I'm eating jello, vegetable and chicken broths, clear gummies, and clear soft drinks.

Are there any clear fluids I'm missing? In particular, clear broths would be good. If anyone knows a good recipe for a beef or fish broth, I'd appreciate it.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-04, 06:48 PM
Clear broths are somewhat difficult to do. The clarifying process is...fairly exacting and completely unforgiving. I assume you could use store bought beef broth but a fish broth might be harder to find in can form. Making soup stock isn't a fun process either and it takes...a -very- long time to do if you want to do it correctly. It's also fairly expensive. I don't see water on your list, but I am just assuming your drinking plenty of it.

Bhu
2011-04-04, 11:11 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2140695_clear-soup-stock.html

that shows how to clarify soup stock. If you don't have any recipes for making your own i can find some.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-04, 11:16 PM
That's a fairly short cut version of making Consommé though the egg shell is...an odd touch. I don't particularly see why that was added. It's still a time involved process for just wanting soup.

pendell
2011-04-05, 09:43 AM
Does this (http://www.medmanor.com/new%20pics/absolut.jpg) count as a clear fluid?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-05, 12:10 PM
Let me point out that Sierra Mist is awesome.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-04-05, 01:10 PM
Clear soft drinks don't exactly count as clear fluids for medical reasons.

Unless it's stuff that's closer to juice than coke and is just carbonated.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-05, 02:37 PM
Broth taking a long time? Really? My usual dinner takes about an hour. A broth takes about 2 hours at the most. Mind you sense I make broth all winter and freeze it for the summer (Saves on the heating bill), yeah....I might be bias. I also don't do much other then clean house, take care of kid, and cook. So...time isn't really an issue for me.

Edit: While it doesn't' LOOK clear, for medical purposes I would ask about tea. I had a clear liquid diet a few years back and Tea was on my list. Just...no milk or cream. But, it replaced my morning coffee.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-04-05, 02:39 PM
Clear soft drinks don't exactly count as clear fluids for medical reasons.

Unless it's stuff that's closer to juice than coke and is just carbonated.

Well, I don't know about other medical things, but when it comes to pharmaceuticals, we suggest clear sodas like Sprite and 7-Up all the time. There's really not much wrong with it- usually, the medical issue has nothing to do with sugar intake.

smellie_hippie
2011-04-05, 03:01 PM
water? :smallamused:

Dr.Epic
2011-04-05, 03:04 PM
water? :smallamused:

Not if he's one of them M. Night Shyamalan aliens.

Bhu
2011-04-05, 04:42 PM
You can always make large batches of broth, freeze what you dont need immediately, and thaw it later.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-05, 05:54 PM
You can always make large batches of broth, freeze what you dont need immediately, and thaw it later.

I do this. Am cooking Bratwurst in some beef broth I made back in September. Tis nummy.

Zocelot
2011-04-05, 06:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I checked with my doctor, and I am allowed tea, so that opens up some options. I don't like adding milk or sugar anyway.

I'll look into making a consomme or two. I've never heard the word before this thread though, and wikipedia says it can be hard to make, but I've got all the time I need to make it. I'm fully prepared to give up any amount of free time in order to add a few more foods into my diet. Being on this diet has really made me appreciate the diversity of foods that I've always taken for granted.

In terms of soft drinks, it's perfectly ok for me to drink the clear ones (I was told to stay away from Coke though). I do have to watch my sugar intake though, so I'm limited to 2-3 cans a day.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-05, 06:20 PM
y.

I'll look into making a consomme or two. I've never heard the word before this thread though, and wikipedia says it can be hard to make, but I've got all the time I need to make it. I'm fully prepared to give up any amount of free time in order to add a few more foods into my diet. Being on this diet has really made me appreciate the diversity of foods that I've always taken for granted

It's not just difficult (I a high grade chef find it to be a pain) but it's -expensive- as well. So, just giving you the 411. Everyone here talking about "Broth" are not talking about the same thing we're discussing here. Broth is as simple as stock and ingedients. Consumme is...consuming...to make a food play on words. It's consuming, expensive and the yield you get is low. I'd honestly just stick with simple broths if you're allowed them or skipping the broth altogether.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-05, 06:22 PM
Some Carrots, Celery, Onion, Potato, Mushroom, Soy Sauce, Pepper, and bones from either some beef, or a chicken carcass, or a fishhead and carcass or nothing.

You put those in a pot and then pour water over it till it covers. You bring that to a boil, and after about an hour and a half to two hours turn it off, strain it, and drink what you want store the rest for later.

No clue on the Cosumme. I do simple broth/stock because it's amazing for so many things.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-05, 07:37 PM
Right, that's still an opaque soup broth.

Weezer
2011-04-05, 07:44 PM
Vodka? :smalltongue:

Perenelle
2011-04-05, 08:40 PM
Apple juice?

Does apple sauce count?

Don Julio Anejo
2011-04-05, 09:17 PM
Well, I don't know about other medical things, but when it comes to pharmaceuticals, we suggest clear sodas like Sprite and 7-Up all the time. There's really not much wrong with it- usually, the medical issue has nothing to do with sugar intake.
It still has caffeine, which is often an issue when they tell someone to drink clear fluids.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-04-05, 09:20 PM
It still has caffeine, which is often an issue when they tell someone to drink clear fluids.

Actually, the big plus of Sprite and 7-Up and such is that they DON'T have caffeine

Zocelot
2011-04-05, 09:44 PM
In Canada, where I live, clear drinks are not allowed to have caffeine in them. Normally, whenever I go to the states, I try to pick up some Mountain Dew, since I like the caffeine, but now I'm glad it has none.

Kneenibble
2011-04-05, 09:52 PM
Right, that's still an opaque soup broth.

I think you're splitting hairs as a chef that don't apply in the OP's situation. A clear broth in a professional kitchen has a very specific meaning: a clear broth to a person going in for surgery, not quite so.

Zocelot, if you're making a vegetable broth, don't add any oil and just strain it through a couple of layers of muslin when it's finished. If you're making any other broth (such as Tialait's), then do the same but refrigerate it as well and remove the layer of fat that congeals on the top. I'm pretty sure that would be sufficient to clear the diet's requirements. So to speak.

edit *rereads OP* By Iuppiter man, six weeks! They'll be boiling you for stock at the end of it.

edit II Would whey fall into the clear fluid realm? I wonder. It would be a good way not to turn into :xykon: over the six weeks, if so.

Trekkin
2011-04-06, 12:22 AM
I wonder: Would broth that's been passed through something with the pore size of multiple coffee filters be considered "clear", or would the lipids have to be extracted first? Actually, what defines clarity for dietary purposes in terms of chemical constituents?

Innis Cabal
2011-04-06, 12:31 AM
I wonder: Would broth that's been passed through something with the pore size of multiple coffee filters be considered "clear", or would the lipids have to be extracted first? Actually, what defines clarity for dietary purposes in terms of chemical constituents?

Culinary speaking, you need to remove -all- impurities.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-06, 01:05 AM

Correct, but if you are going for a medical 'clear diet' broth, it needs to have no chunks. It can be cloudy, just not chunky.

Mind you, I may be completely incorrect on this. I just know that when I needed my broth with it's cloudiness, and my hot tea with a sprinkle of sugar was what I lived by.

Worira
2011-04-06, 01:05 AM

That's really not a good enough answer. Everything is an impurity of water, so the question stands, what is considered an impurity for the dietary/culinary definition of a clear broth?

Lady Tialait
2011-04-06, 01:20 AM
Linkie (http://www.drugs.com/cg/clear-liquid-diet.html)

That link should help Zocelot.

Also, on the issue of 'clear broth' I give you this. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080110101657AACrW1p)

AgentofOdd
2011-04-06, 05:34 AM
That's really not a good enough answer. Everything is an impurity of water, so the question stands, what is considered an impurity for the dietary/culinary definition of a clear broth?If I'm understanding wikipedia correctly, a consommé should have no fat, or any particles in it. Basically, it should be like Jell-O that hasn't been allowed to solidify.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-06, 05:40 AM
If I'm understanding wikipedia correctly, a consommé should have no fat, or any particles in it. Basically, it should be like Jell-O that hasn't been allowed to solidify.

It's like a jello that you keep hot. Which means it won't solidify.

Oldad
2011-04-07, 01:25 PM
Use an ice cream maker and turn some of your stuff into sorbets...6 weeks on clear liquids...Ulcerative Colitis, or Crohn's? If it's one of them, ask your doctor about elemental diets. They're still boring after a while but better than clears.

Flickerdart
2011-04-07, 01:44 PM
Vodka is a clear fluid.

Delorges
2011-04-07, 01:55 PM
Alcohol is, however, forbidden on a clear liquid diet. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2011-04-07, 04:05 PM
Vodka is a clear fluid.

This is also the third time this joke has been used.

Melayl
2011-04-08, 09:47 AM
Medically speaking, a Clear Liquid diet is anything that is: 1) liquid (or nearly so) at room temperature; 2) Clear (no particles or cloudy material -- no cloudy broths, no orange juice, etc) -- meaning it can be seen through and read through

Pop is OK, but dark colas (like Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, etc) are specifically mentioned as NOT clear liquids. Coffee is included in some clear liquid diets, but not in others (check with your provider to be sure).

If you'll be on it for 6 weeks, make sure you get some clear liquid nutritional supplement drinks (a clear liquid diet is nutritionally inadequate). There are many brands, including Resource and Ensure. They will help make sure you don't end up with deficiencies. Unless that's what your provider wants...

Any medical provider/dietician will be able to give you a thorough list of proper clear liquids.