PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Monster] Beast Elemental

Hyudra
2011-04-05, 12:06 PM
Beast Elemental, Small

http://i56.tinypic.com/262xoau.jpg

Small Elemental (Shapechanger, Extraplanar)
HD: 2d8 (Average HP)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares); Climb 10 ft, Swim 10 ft, Burrow 10 ft.
Init: +0
AC: 18; touch 11; flat-footed 17
(+1 Size, +7 Natural)
BAB: +1; Grp +0
Attack: Feral Attack +5 (1d6+4, plus Feral Attack effect)
Full-Attack: Full attack +5 (1d6+4, plus Feral Attack effect)
Space: 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Feral Attack, Pack Hunter
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', Scent, Predatory Senses
Saves: Fort +4 Ref +0 Will +0
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +5, Hide +3, Move Silently +2
Feats: Track
Environment:: Arborea, the Feywild, the Endless Maze, Forest
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None.
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 3HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

With a menacing growl that affects you on a deep, primal level, the creature stalks towards you. It is hard to tell what it is, because it seems to be something different with every passing moment. Is it because it is changing so slowly you can't spot the differences from one moment to the next, only seeing the change when you look away and look back again? Perhaps it is because the creature simply is something different in different lighting and from different perspectives. Every beast at the same time, and yet, no one species specifically.

What you know is this: it is a predator incarnate, eyes glowing yellow from the gloom, bristling with teeth, claws, fur, horns and scales. You can't quite tell which because you know if you break eye contact, it'll lunge and you'll be getting the answer to your question when it is mauling you.

Beast Elementals are manifestations of the lifeforce of beasts and predators in areas where nature or feral beasts reign supreme. Physically, they reflect an amalgamation of all the animals found in their current environments, their general shape shifting and flowing subtly between combinations of the various animals with every passing moment.

Beast Elementals understand Abyssal, Celestial or Sylvan, depending on their current environment, but do not speak.

Combat

Feral Attack: The Beast Elemental is capable of manifesting whatever natural weapons are most needed at the time. All Feral Attacks are natural weapons that do the damage listed on the chart above. In addition, each turn, the Beast Elemental may choose one of the following to manifest. The use of one option prevents the use of the same option until the end of the Beast Elemental's next turn. If no options are available, the Beast Elemental adds no special effect to its natural attack.
Horns - The Beast Elemental does a bonus 1d4 + ½ Str modifier damage on a charge.
Fang - A Beast Elemental that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip its opponent (-1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Beast Elemental.
Tusk - The Beast Elemental may make an immediate 5' step if an opponent makes a 5' step in the round after it was struck by the Tusk effect.

Predatory Senses: The Beast Elemental gains a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.

-------------------------------------------
So there it is. This is actually my first monster homebrew, so PEACH is appreciated.

I think I'd add more options to Feral Attack as I advanced it to medium, large, (and so on) size. No point giving it pounce or rend when it only has the one attack, for example.

For now, however, I'm just positing it by way of the CR1 version to get feedback before I invest in the larger variants.