PDA

View Full Version : Forwarding mail using Gmail

BooNL
2011-04-06, 07:53 AM
Hey all,

I recently got a new e-mail address at work and unfortunately I'm forced to use an MS Exchange server. I loathe Exchange, as half the time it doesn't work properly.

I've already forwarded my mails to my Gmail account, so I don't have to check two accounts at once (and also so I can check my work mail on my smartphone).

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to set up both accounts in such a way that I can reply from my work account using Gmail (including the correct e-mail address and signature).

Can anyone help me in this?

Cheers

rakkoon
2011-04-06, 07:57 AM
Mail settings
accounts and imports

Send mails as or use a POP3 servers if that is allowed.
the only downside is that it sends
"Rakkoon sends a message in the name of Rakkoon"
sometimes, which is weird
I can send from 4 mail adresses from my gmail and my hotmail and outlook automatically disappear from the account to my gmail (pop3)

BooNL
2011-04-06, 10:46 AM
But do the sent emails appear as Gmail or (in your case) Hotmail e-mails when sent? Also, will it automatically attach your signature from other accounts?

I know I can reply to emails sent from my work account, but it'll display as my Gmail account, which I want to avoid.

If that's not possible, at least I have a way to check my mail without logging into Exchange every time.

valadil
2011-04-06, 11:09 AM
But do the sent emails appear as Gmail or (in your case) Hotmail e-mails when sent? Also, will it automatically attach your signature from other accounts?

Send an email to yourself and find out. The signature probably won't work though, unless exchange is capable of some voodoo I'm unaware of.

lesser_minion
2011-04-06, 03:29 PM

This may be useful to you. (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22370)

In short, yes, the e-mail will list your work e-mail address as the 'from' address, not your Gmail address.

However, your Gmail address will still be mentioned in the e-mail (otherwise, it might be regarded as a fake e-mail), and it might be shown to the person receiving your e-mail.

The link above also explains how to prevent that happening.