PDA

View Full Version : Favorite place?

loopy
2011-04-07, 08:38 PM
Where is your very favorite place? The place where you go to relax, or just to admire the view. It could be somewhere that makes you feel safe, relaxed, or even energized.

I'm a sucker for city lights, especially city lights over water. Back where I'm from there is a suburb called Saratoga which overlooks the city of Gosford, which lies beyond a big lake-ish body of water. A road wraps around the entirety of Saratoga waterfront, and when I walk around it I see at least one shooting star a night. Considering I used to walk around Saratoga every night for several years, that's quite a few wishes I must have stored up.

So playgrounders, what are your favorite places?

Flickerdart
2011-04-07, 08:43 PM
My windows overlook a park, through which winds a river. If you leave the paved walkways, there's a trail which leads to a stony outcropping that juts into the river. It's a nice peaceful place.

Zocelot
2011-04-07, 08:46 PM
I'm not much for natural beauty, but I once spent a couple days at a cabin on a turquoise lake, surrounded by mountains in the Yukon. I spent pretty much my entire time there marveling at the sight of the place. I can't think of anywhere else that I've spent more than five minutes looking at the natural world.

THAC0
2011-04-07, 08:53 PM
Far, far away from people. Which is why Alaska is awesome.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-07, 09:12 PM
In Perth? Favourite place is probably wherever my husband is... or curled up in the recliner, I like our recliner...

Overall - my favourite place is the Dunedin botanic gardens. Specifically there was one spot I found in my wanderings there, there was a small side track off the main path, and if you went down it, it came out on this small clearing that was completely hidden from the path. The main path went up a hill, and this clearing was on the level, right by the stream that ran through the gardens. Hidden, really quiet, a lovely green patch of grass, it was always quiet, I used to go there when I really needed to hide.

I have fond memories of the entire gardens, I've lost count of the number of times I went walking through them, either on my own or with friends. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could...

rayne_dragon
2011-04-07, 09:21 PM
Gosh... there are so many beautiful places I like.

The third beach in Stanley park out here is really nice around midnight on a clear night with a full moon. Nothing like chilling on sands that most of the time are underwater.

thubby
2011-04-07, 09:30 PM
my roof.

my house is at the highest point in the city. from the roof you can see over the trees (the city makes a serious effort to maintain greenery) and the rest of the city all the way down to the bay.

its quiet, warm, and a hell of a view.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-07, 09:46 PM
Where is your very favorite place?

Right behind you.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-07, 09:48 PM
Right behind you.

*Doubletakes*

Whew. Ok. I'm good.

My favourite place depends on my mood. One of my favourite places is Yonge-Dundas Square, in downtown Toronto. For those who don't know it, imagine Picadilly Circus, only more, or Times Square, only less. It's generally much busier than Picadilly Circus, cause one of the biggest shopping malls in the city is right there on the square.

Egiam
2011-04-07, 09:54 PM
Probably the Musee Dorsay in Paris. It's possibly the most inspiring place I've ever been in. Coming in at a close second is napping on the bean bag after a long day with my little dog on my chest.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-07, 10:18 PM
Downtown San Fransisco. Northern Californian born and bred; give me bus money and enough cash for a Mission burrito and I'm set. :smalltongue:

Trog
2011-04-07, 10:22 PM
In the embrace of a lover.

Erloas
2011-04-07, 10:28 PM
Well I'm not sure if it is my favorite place, but at the moment I can't think of many better. Its also where my mom said she wanted us to leave her ashes when she dies.

Granite Hot Springs a little outside of Jackson Hole, Wy.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/5495_1194696236426_1499040041_539453_2506155_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5495_1194695956419_1499040041_539446_2175875_n.jpg

loopy
2011-04-07, 10:32 PM
Right behind you.

And what a view it is! :smallwink:

arguskos
2011-04-07, 10:38 PM
In the embrace of a lover.
Dammit. You beat me to what I was gonna say. Well, I'll have to give a more expected answer.

My favorite place and the place with the most memories for me are different. I'll list both here.

My most memorable place on the face of the earth is probably the pool at my first apartment complex. It was a two-level pool, and the raised bit was also part fountain. My sig. other at the time and I would spend literally hours up in that fountain part in the summer, relaxing and talking underneath the stars. It was the happiest time of my entire life, and I have tons of memories from that fountain/pool.

My favorite place though is my grandparents house on San Juan Island, off the coast of Seattle. They have a house on the west coast, looking out at the sea. You can see the Olympic Mountains on the left and Victoria on the right. It's beautiful beyond words. I wish I could go back there some day, but I can't (they're divorcing).

I guess since I should perhaps mention somewhere I can actually GO again, I'll go ahead and say my back yard, due to anything more profound escaping me at the moment. I live on an acre of land in the middle of a suburb, it's kind of a nice little "escape within the city" set-up. Our yard is large and spacious, and good for thinking and relaxing in.

Serpentine
2011-04-07, 11:32 PM
Heron Island. Until I travel the world and find somewhere better, it's my Happy Place.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2695/0/62/1030392692/n1030392692_30399634_2026343.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2695/0/62/1030392692/n1030392692_30399666_3755946.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2695/0/62/1030392692/n1030392692_30399778_4191858.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2695/0/62/1030392692/n1030392692_30399709_1891354.jpg
More generally, in a decent car, with good company, with good music up loud. Makes me happy.

ZombyWoof
2011-04-07, 11:35 PM
Wandering the El Dorado foothills of northern California, admiring the various shapes and twists of the great oak trees and hearing the soft "crunch" of their leaves underfoot.

Once I see those hills rise around me I just... feel so much better about the world.

factotum
2011-04-08, 01:21 AM
Favourite place is always home for me, wherever that happens to be at the time!

Lady Moreta
2011-04-08, 01:50 AM
Right now my favourite place is outside! It's a beautiful day out there today... perfect autumn weather, lovely and warm enough for a t-shirt but not so hot you get sweaty. Light breeze with that lovely fresh, crisp autumn feel to it. Beautiful pure blue sky and no clouds. It's just gorgeous.

What a day to be stuck inside with a desk job... :smallsigh:

Asthix
2011-04-08, 06:17 AM
My happy place? Well its a beautiful park with nice fountain and a big comfy bed right in the middle of the lawn. then the girl in lingerie walks up carrying a pitcher of beer in each hand while my grandmother totally hits the jackpot on the slot machine and celebrates with the midget cowboy on the tricycle.

*Whuh? Oh, sorry. I was just daydreaming. Favorite place you say? I'd say my favorite place is on a bike. It's hard to describe what that looks like.

Thanqol
2011-04-08, 06:38 AM
My house is right on the side of Mt. Rogers. I can walk up to the top in about half an hour to an hour and have a spectacular place to sit and watch the entire city.

Sometimes I go up in early morning or late evening to watch the sun rise or set. Beautiful.

KuReshtin
2011-04-08, 07:44 AM
Anywhere is paradise, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dMFwnzJa6M) when you're with the one you love.
Anywhere is a place that's nice, when you're with the one you dream of.
Anywhere is paradise, when you're with a love that's true.
There's nowhere I'd rather be, baby, than anywhere with you. :smallwink:

Seriously, though, I always liked heading over to the castle in Kalmar when I lived there. The castle walls at night, with the city lights to one side and the Sound of Kalmar to the other side is pretty damn nice.

Haven't really found anything like that here in Scotland, yet.

banjo1985
2011-04-08, 07:54 AM
The walls of Dubrovnik, in the bright sunshine, looking out over a swathe of red terracotta rooves out towards the sea. Even if I never make it back there, those views will stay with me for the rest of my life. Cwm Idwal in Snowdonia is pretty awe inspiring too, though the weather is markedly worse. :smalltongue:

As for a happy place closer to home, my car with the windows down, Mrs B in the passenger seat, a long winding country or mountain road, and a loud rock album kicking out of the stereo. Bliss. :smallsmile:

Agamid
2011-04-08, 09:29 AM
bed.

otherwise. i love the country just inland and across the border from qld into nsw. nimbin-ish area (though i don't like nimbin). cool rainforests, lots of clear water and peace.
if i weren't so afraid of werewolves (and by that i just mean i have a dangerously active imagination) i would totally live there.

Serpentine
2011-04-08, 09:31 AM
I've heard a poem about Nimbin. It goes like this:

Nimbin.
Nimbin, Nimbin.
Yeah, Nimbin.

Agamid
2011-04-08, 09:37 AM
sounds about right serpy.

best pizza i have EVER had was in nimbin though. but really unsurprising that they do good food there :P

my little brother was born in ferndale, uki. in a litte house my dad build in the middle of the rainforest. no electricity, bathroom outside, one room-house.

house is still there and the tree my little brother's placenta was buried under. someone cut it down, but it grew back! (ha-ha!) really, really love that area. there is a picture of it under 'peace' in the dictionary in my head.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-04-08, 09:51 AM
Our neighbour has a massive avocado tree, I climb up it and read books while listening to music to get away from everything.

Granted sometimes you need to vacate it fairly quickly if you hear the neighbour in the vicinity :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-04-08, 09:53 AM
Ooooh, that sounds nice. Does it bear fruit?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-04-08, 10:01 AM
It does, but we have about 20 or so of our own trees (granted, they are just normal sized) which we pick and sell at markets, so we let off looting the neighbours avacado tree. (His plum trees are in a bit more peril though:smallwink:)

EDIT: sorry Serp, misread question, silly me!

No, no bear-fruit, only non-clawed avocados sadly:smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2011-04-08, 11:45 AM
Rooftops! I love rooftops. Also, various wilderness, I love camping, desert or backpacking or whatever.

Gaelbert
2011-04-11, 12:58 AM
Downtown San Fransisco. Northern Californian born and bred; give me bus money and enough cash for a Mission burrito and I'm set. :smalltongue:

Wandering the El Dorado foothills of northern California, admiring the various shapes and twists of the great oak trees and hearing the soft "crunch" of their leaves underfoot.

Once I see those hills rise around me I just... feel so much better about the world.

I live in Berkeley, backing up to the edge of the city. There's a little hike, 3 miles maybe (with a vicious grade) out to the side of a hill. From this spot, you can see all of Berkeley with the green swath of the campus and the Campanile piercing the sky, some of Oakland, Marin County off to the right, and all of San Francisco spread out in front of you. I've seen the sun set over the Golden Gate Bridge and when it's down, the entire Bay lights up like so many jewels. I know how cliche that sounds, but it's true. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
Second favourite would be the corner of Montgomery and Market in San Francisco.

Serpentine
2011-04-11, 01:02 AM
EDIT: sorry Serp, misread question, silly me!No no, my bad. That was pretty poor grammar on my part :smallamused: