PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons: the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition

aazru
2011-04-12, 01:57 PM
Anyone played it? (http://32ndlaw.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/dungeons-the-dragoning-40000-7th-edition/) What can you say about it? :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2011-04-12, 02:04 PM
There's been a thread up about this in Homebrew since April 1st and I made a recruitment thread in Finding Players soon after. You're late. :smalltongue:

That said, haven't played it yet, but being familiar with the major parts it is based off, I like how it has turned out for as far as I have read it.

aazru
2011-04-12, 02:12 PM
Better late than never. :smalltongue:

Otogi
2011-04-12, 02:54 PM
It's pretty sweet. I'm trying to come up with a homebrew race right now.

Weimann
2011-04-12, 03:11 PM
I'm also intrigued. I quite like the effort put in, but the system does have some pretty big problems (admittedly, the first patch came a few days after release, so I hope it'll get better). I have some ideas for homebrew, particularly sword schools, but I'd like to see what the next version looks like before I make anything.

Edit: For reference, author's blog (http://lawfulnice.blogspot.com/), old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193525).

ninja_penguin
2011-04-12, 06:48 PM
Oh my goodness, I was just re-reading over there and I noticed this.

* Vampires can now use parasols to protect themselves from the sun - the more frills the parasols have, the greater protection they give.

Given that my Eladrin vampire was originally pushing as a Remillia joke, this amuses me to no end.

aazru
2011-04-13, 12:02 PM
I actually like gnomes in DtD... =O Truly, this book is beyond the impossible.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-13, 03:59 PM
Want to play. This looks...epic.

Otogi
2011-04-14, 07:47 PM
Not sure if this would go better in the other thread or this one, but some info (http://lawfulnice.blogspot.com/) on the next version is up. Here are some of the big ones if you don't have the time to read it all.

Static Defense now runs on the lower of Dexterity or Wisdom (although Halflings can still choose to use Dexterity even if Wisdom is lower.)
Characters will gain 2 HP every class level.
There will be unarmed weapons (POWER FIST Y'ALL).
Missing "Diseased" condition stops you from gaining HP.
Attacks may run of level ala 4e to make Dex less of a god stat (maybe).

ninja_penguin
2011-04-14, 07:50 PM
I'm rather pleased that they are going back to errata and rebalance this stuff.

SurlySeraph
2011-04-15, 09:37 AM
Static defense now runs off of lower of Wis and Dex
Gain 2 hit points every time you complete a class

I'm happy with these.

Gnomes now just start with one free weapon proficiency and one free armor proficiency.

...can it still be in Power Armor?

Atlanteans 'safe' recharge of motes now requires an hour of meditation per point.

Fine.

Assassins now have Brawl

YES YES YES I LOVE YOU FOREVER! My Tiefling fist-fighting assassin is now fully viable! (He's a Daemonhost. A formerly hard-boiled worshipper of Khorne, who was left bleeding, blinded, and with limbs blown off after a job gone bad. He heard a voice in the back of his head, whispering... whispering "Ohmigod! I can totally help you and stuff! Do you wanna, like, live?" He said yes without really thinking about it. Now he has Androgynous, the Desire sin asset, Dangerous Beauty, bright pink cybernetic limbs, and is very gullible. But since ambushes against him tend to end exactly the same way as his ambushes against others [reads thoughts to find the perfect moment to strike, tears heads off, and bounces away with new bloodstains on his "I <3 Ponies" T-shirt], it's not a big problem).

Full Auto now gives +1k0 damage per raise instead of an extra hit. Not sure it'll stay this way - this was suggested to me and we'll see how it goes. Looks better against armor, worse against peasants.

Not sure, either. It means that guns are definitely further behind melee for damage, but I don't think it disrupts balance much.

Looks good overall.

soir8
2011-04-15, 02:57 PM
Does anyone know if a paragon can use pressure points to modify a roll after the dice have been rolled? The wording doesn't make it clear, and me and a friend have been arguing over whether it's like power attack or luck points.

Tael
2011-04-16, 01:10 PM
I know this is a pretty impressive effort, coming from the guys at /tg/, but it just screams "early alpha" to me. Not enough editing, very little polish, sometimes just badly written. I may play it in the future if it gets a lot of polish, but not any time soon.

Otogi
2011-04-16, 02:27 PM
Anybody else think this needs a dash of Call of Cthulhu? Maybe another game system/setting?

SurlySeraph
2011-04-16, 02:50 PM
Maybe an Exaltation that turns you into a miniature eldritch horror?

Teln
2011-04-16, 03:01 PM
Anybody else think this needs a dash of Call of Cthulhu? Maybe another game system/setting?

Don't use Exaltations. Done.

Tiki Snakes
2011-04-16, 03:35 PM
I shall be keeping my eye on this tasty chunk of wtf.

But am I the only one who feels that the Tau feel weirdly out of place, even though this is a deliberately mad-amalgamation?

Maralais
2011-04-16, 04:23 PM
"This is intended as a work of parody and should not be mistaken for a real roleplaying game."

And there I was, planning to ask people about playing it...

Otogi
2011-04-16, 04:50 PM
Don't use Exaltations. Done.

But then you'd still have Hero Points, and that's all kinds of to powerful.

Actually, I was thinking more in the realm of an Inquisitor class or a good way to run a mystery plot with the rules.

"This is intended as a work of parody and should not be mistaken for a real roleplaying game."

And there I was, planning to ask people about playing it...

Hasn't stopped people on the forums, or the creator for making new versions.

EDIT: MORE CHANGES!!!

The big one is static defense, which has a totally new and complex formula of 10 + (3 x Wisdom) + (3 x Dexterity) - (2 x Size). Halflings can still use just Dexterity for static defense, although now I have no idea of why you would want to
Paragon's gain new abilities based on their Power Stat (now called "Excellence") like all other templates. NOTE: They are pretty sweet.
Some spell schools have been switched around. Now only Bards can use Enchantment, only Magic Users can use Conjuration and Clerics can use Necromancy (although Magic Users still can, too).
Two new item rarities - Ubiquitous and Mythic
Healing spells are changed as well.
Squad Minion rules, meaning you can commit genocide you were probably going to do anyway a lot easier.

There are still some other changes, all on LawfulNice's blog (along with a review of the hit-ish RPG, Animia!)

Notreallyhere77
2011-04-21, 05:24 PM
For Vectron! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icTrzUuWlHI)

I was so surprised when they put that in. Also, as a Deadlands player, it was good to see some of that stuff, too. I'll have to wait until next april 1st to try to get my friends to play, but it'll be worth the wait.

T.G. Oskar
2011-04-22, 10:35 PM
For Vectron! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icTrzUuWlHI)

By Vectron's vilified vices! That's the secret method of proselytizing...wait, why did I say that name? Oh dear, time to do some community service to see if Sigmar doesn't get jealous.

But yeah, that's probably the coolest method of proselytizing I've seen. Quite different to the usual methods.

So...apparently there's gonna be this thread from now on? Perhaps the two have to be merged or something...

Acanous
2011-04-22, 10:51 PM
I need to play a charismamancer named Ciaphas in this >.>

Lord Raziere
2011-04-22, 10:59 PM
hmmmmm.....

I'm thinking Ork Werewolf Paladin

"MOAR SMITTA! WE KAN NEVAH HAV ENUFF SMITTA! SMITTA SMITTA SMITTA! WAAAAAAAAGH! I go Werewulf now, MORE SMITTA! WIF TEEF!"

aazru
2011-04-23, 12:12 PM
Ooh! 1.3 is out. And no change log. Hmm.

Anyway, I'm rather fond of Paragon(I like all things Factotum-like). So many things I want to play...

T.G. Oskar
2011-04-25, 12:51 AM
I know that it's a bit cliche, but a friend of mine and I made up some concepts for the game.

One is an Aasimar Paladin/Cleric who just happens to be a Chosen of Sigmar, obviously following Sigmar (and thus the Blessed Pantheon), whose diplomatic ways vary between "shoot first, ask questions later" and "sandstone on your skin THEN drip salted water on the wound".

The other is a Tiefling Daemonhost Mage/Assassin, who follows Tzeentch, but actually behaves exactly the opposite of your typical Chaos-inclined Daemonhost Tiefling. Quite the talkative man, preferring the tongue to the blade, but skilled in the arts of combat if necessary.

Together...they fight Necr...I mean, MODRONS!!

(And then there's an Elf Werewolf Bard/barian who's the mediator between the two).

It's a shame we really can't play a campaign together, but the few impromptu interactions between the characters ended up with the holiest-than-thou Paladin driving the other two writhing with anger and then calmly defusing the conversation with "just consider I'm holding myself; it could be worse". Just happens that the Aasimar really hates Tieflings, loathes Daemons and doesn't think well of people who delve into the arts of shadow (just like Assassins). And they're forced to play on the same team.

As for 1.3; the changelog is there. Three or four posts below; the creator asked for everybody's opinion before going, and the shift between magic schools is partly my idea, so...

Weimann
2011-04-26, 06:05 PM
Hm, I read this again, and I notice my interest is cooled off. I still like the sword school idea, but all in all, this worked better as a surprisingly well-made April fools. Some of the issues are mechanical (I will never see the rationale in having all attacks and all defenses use Dexterity), but more than that, what seemed cool and interesting then now seems copy-pasted and tacky.

Don't want to be a killjoy, but well... I am :smallamused:

T.G. Oskar
2011-04-26, 06:10 PM
Hm, I read this again, and I notice my interest is cooled off. I still like the sword school idea, but all in all, this worked better as a surprisingly well-made April fools. Some of the issues are mechanical (I will never see the rationale in having all attacks and all defenses use Dexterity), but more than that, what seemed cool and interesting then now seems copy-pasted and tacky.

Don't want to be a killjoy, but well... I am :smallamused:

The recent editions are making Dex less of a god-like stat. Attacks may now presumably run off the character's level instead of Dex, Static Defense now adds Wisdom. So Dex is becoming less and less important with each revision, although still a strong utility.

Considering the book is revised pretty much weekly, and the differences are eventually becoming a system of its own, I wouldn't say it's tacky. Copy-pasted; sure, I mean, that's the whole gist of the book. However, it's starting to get a bit more serious.

But, whatever floats your boat. I'm still interested on giving it a run, tho.

Halae
2011-05-04, 01:54 PM
I decided to join Otogi's game, but one strange little thing is bugging me about character creation.

I'm making a magic using Atlantean Human and have come to the point where I'm figuring out where m experience goes, and I noticed something. Magic schools cost 100 times the rank you have in it - same with our primary stat. Does that mean that... you start with 1 in all of those that you apply to? Since 0x100 is still zero, the first dot in each of those would be free. Or am I missing something? :smallconfused:

a_humble_lich
2011-05-04, 02:23 PM
I decided to join Otogi's game, but one strange little thing is bugging me about character creation.

I'm making a magic using Atlantean Human and have come to the point where I'm figuring out where m experience goes, and I noticed something. Magic schools cost 100 times the rank you have in it - same with our primary stat. Does that mean that... you start with 1 in all of those that you apply to? Since 0x100 is still zero, the first dot in each of those would be free. Or am I missing something? :smallconfused:

You're missing something:smallsmile:

A new Sword of Magic school costs 200xp. Improving one costs 100 times current rank. So rank one costs 200, rank two costs 100 more, ....

Halae
2011-05-04, 02:29 PM
Alright, but would that still mean that the primary stat starts off at 1 for free? like, on my Atlantean, he'd begin with 1 Arcana with no Experience dump?

Thanks for the quick reply though :smallsmile:

a_humble_lich
2011-05-04, 02:55 PM
Alright, but would that still mean that the primary stat starts off at 1 for free? like, on my Atlantean, he'd begin with 1 Arcana with no Experience dump?

Thanks for the quick reply though :smallsmile:

I believe that is true, although I'm not an official source of rules :smallsmile:

Also, you know as an Atlantean you get one free rank in a magic school due to your awesomeness.

Halae
2011-05-04, 03:20 PM
How true! and it doesn't even have to be in one of my normal magic schools. For all it matters, I could choose Transmutation or Healing! :smallbiggrin:

However, I'm going with Evocation and spending enough to get Abjuration and Conjuration as well. should make me fairly versatile.

Thanks for your help, Lich :smallsmile:

Otogi
2011-05-04, 09:55 PM
Anybody else excited about the new version coming up? Classes are totally gonna change!

aazru
2011-05-25, 03:27 PM
So, I thought I'd post something interesting for people today - the list of stuff that I'm working on for the next book. This is not a complete list. I'm sure more will end up being added. But this should give you some idea of what's going on. (http://lawfulnice.blogspot.com/2011/05/dungeons-dragoning-40k-7th-edition-book.html)

RACES:
Thri-Kreen
Kobold
Kenku
EXALTATIONS:
Wraith
Changeling
CLASSES:
Arcane Knight
Monk
Techpriest
Gunslinger
Temple Assassin
FEATS/ASSETS:
More Exaltation Assets for everyone
MAGIC:
New spells for each school
Possibly new schools
SWORD SCHOOLS:
Gun Kata for ranged weapons
Sniping School
Gunslinger School
Etc.
ALIGNMENT:
New gods!
Lolth
The Omnissiah
Secular Humanism
EQUIPMENT:
Weapon Creation System
New Specific Weapons
New Armor
New Bionics
ARTIFACTS:
You better believe there are going to be new artifacts.
VEHICLES:
P-scale vehicle rules, for using cars, planes, and the like alongside characters.
S-scale (Ship Scale) rules for spelljammer combat!