PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Techniques

Milo v3
2011-04-13, 12:59 AM
I am currently creating a Blood Manipulation class which is "Heavily" based on the Sand Bender class (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sandbender_(3.5e_Class)) but I've got a problem.

I can't think of an equivalent to the Natural Techniques:

Living Shield: No Idea
All is One: I think I'll keep this one
Moon Sand: I was thinking it would be called "Thinker Than Water" and if choosen twice it allows the Bender to turn water into blood.
Sun Sand: I was thinking it would stop it from drying up but I think thats to weak.
Storm Sand: No idea
Hands of Drought: Causes blood to burst out towards the Bender

Or Greater Controls:

Living Barrier: No Idea
Embodiement of the Desert: No idea
One is all: Blood Mist form
Wielder of the Red Sands: No idea
Wielder of the Black Sands: No idea
Wielder of the White Sands: No idea

byaku rai
2011-04-13, 08:24 PM
I think your link is broken. Maybe you should just describe what the Sandbender stuff does for us?

Milo v3
2011-04-13, 08:50 PM
Natural Techniques:
Living Shield: The sandbender gives 1 cubic foot of attuned sand a limited sentience with the sole goal of protecting the sandbender. The sandbender permanently loses control of that cubic foot of sand meaning it can no longer be used for techniques (but still counts against the amount of attuned sand the sandbender may have) but in return the sandbender gains a permanent +2 to touch AC and +1 to Reflex save. This sand is no longer magical but instead could be considered almost a creature. This new sand will remain invisible until something attempts to harm the sandbender in which case it moves in the way of the incoming attack, blocking it. This does not stop functioning in an anti-magic zone or any other type of anti-magic area.
Moon Sand: Water holds no power over the sandbender's attuned sand anymore. Now all the attuned sand the sandbender controls (including that already made) has the property to not get wet. After taking this, a sandbender may move its attuned sand through water but at half its normal move speed.
Sun Sand:
The attuned sand of the sandbender is now resistant to heat. All of the sandbender's attuned sand is immune to fire and thus cannot be made into glass by taking fire damage as well as is able to provide shelter from extreme heat.
Storm Sand:Electricity is changed from weakness to power. Your attuned sand may store electricity it comes into contact with, giving each cubic foot of sand that comes into contact with spells or creatures with the electricity subtype (or lightning) a charge that deals 1d8 damage to the next creature that touches it. A DC 15 Spot check may notice small electric bolts jumping on charged sand occasionally but the sandbender always knows what sand is charged and what isn't. Also, electricity in all its forms no longer transforms the sandbender's attuned sand into glass.

Greater Controls:

Living Barrier:
The sentient sand evolves to a whole new level, giving even greater protection to the sandbender. An enemy that wishes to move within 5' of the sandbender must succeed on a DC 10 + Wisdom Modifier + 1/2 technician level Strength check or Reflex save to break through or avoid the protective sand. A creature that fails the check may not move adjacent as it is blocked (meaning they were touched by the attuned sand) and those that fail by 10 or more are pushed back 5 feet. Also, the sand will provide shelter from area of effect attacks giving the sandbender the Improved Evasion feat while the living barrier is still in effect.
Embodiement of the Desert:
Dry Hands now deals 2d6 + Wisdom modifier damage. The sandbender may change the terrain of a 10' radius area into 10' deep sand anywhere within 25 + 1/2 technician level feet by placing its hands on the ground as a full round action. Any creatures of size medium or less within the radius of the sand sink to their waste and must take a full round to get out of the sand. Using this ability is considered absorbing 100 gallons of water. Also, the sandbender may spontaneously create 4 cubic feet of attuned sand that lasts for one round and does not apply to its normal attuned sand limit anywhere within 20 feet 3/day as a swift action.
Additionally, the sandbender may create 1 small glass worth of water by pulling the moisture out of the air in 18 seconds at will.
Wielder of the Red Sand:
Your attuned sand now has such water absorptive properties that it can absorb the blood of creatures right out of their bodies by being in contact with them. As such, your attuned sand takes on a dark red appearance as it is stained the color of the blood is absorbs. It also gains the property to move through the blood vessels of a body.
Wielder of the Black Sand:

Putting your attuned sand through incredible heat constantly has colored it black. It now attains ignitable properties resulting in explosive techniques.

Wielder of the White Sand:

Mastery of friction induced electrical currents has purified your attuned sand resulting in a white color. This sand can conduct electricity very easily and can produce extremely high voltages capable of harming most any creature.

Mutazoia
2011-04-13, 10:05 PM
You know...I was about to take this seriously until I realized that the Sand Bender is basically Gara from Naruto..

Seriously though, you might want to think about what the techniques you think a blood based character would have. Probably instead of living shield acting as a defense, maybe living blood would give a regen effect, etc.

Would probably not even try to mimic moon sand.

Sun sand would be Hot blooded and give you basic fire DR...

make Storm Sand into...say...blood spray...a poison spit attack (or you can coat your blade with your own blood, poisoning the blade...would also give you resistance to most poisons.

The main problem is your taking a class that manipulates an external resource for power and trying to duplicate that using an internal (and much more limited) resource. Blood magic would mostly be internal control of your own body with very few external applications.

Mutazoia
2011-04-13, 10:19 PM
Moon Sand: I was thinking it would be called "Thinker Than Water" and if choosen twice it allows the Bender to turn water into blood.

Although that might be funny at parties (but only once) unless you are going to be a vampire as well, it's probably not going to get much use. I would probably make it thin a targets blood, giving them a poison/bleed effect.

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 10:52 PM
Considering it has bender in the name, it is far more closely related to Avatar: the Last Airbender than anything else. And I like that stuff, it's pretty epic.

I think what you're attempting is Blood Bending right? I mean it seems you're attempting to use your own blood to do it, while that would certainly make for an interesting Sakrier combination I think it would kill a lot of the caster types that benders tend to be.

Strictly speaking, Blood Bending falls under Water Bending, especially since Blood is mostly water.

Mutazoia
2011-04-13, 11:45 PM
Considering it has bender in the name, it is far more closely related to Avatar: the Last Airbender than anything else. And I like that stuff, it's pretty epic.

Yeah but most of the abilities Mimic Gara, so probably an amalgam of the two.

I honestly see very little you can use your own blood for that isn't pure defense. The whole object of adventuring (beyond the power and riches) is keeping as much of your blood inside of you as possible, while at the same time spraying your opponents all over the landscape...

Milo v3
2011-04-14, 12:34 AM
My class the "Bender of the Sanguine (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Bender_of_the_Sanguine_(3.5_Class))" can use other peoples blood as well as you're own. But to use you're blood you still have to damage you're self.
Please note that the class isn't finished I still have allot of work to do.

Also I didn't put that picture of Gara their as I didn't make the page. Me and the creator of the Sandbender have a deal were we both create more Technicions.

Mutazoia
2011-04-14, 07:36 PM
My class the "Bender of the Sanguine (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Bender_of_the_Sanguine_(3.5_Class))" can use other peoples blood as well as you're own. But to use you're blood you still have to damage you're self.
Please note that the class isn't finished I still have allot of work to do.

Also I didn't put that picture of Gara their as I didn't make the page. Me and the creator of the Sandbender have a deal were we both create more Technicions.

didn't see the page...just the description of the abilities you posted lol

TechnOkami
2011-04-14, 09:18 PM
...oi vey, that system of a fluid substance control sounds interesting. Although, instead of technique points, I suggest you connect it with the pc's hit points, giving a bigger hit die if need be.

Milo v3
2011-04-15, 03:35 AM
...oi vey, that system of a fluid substance control sounds interesting. Although, instead of technique points, I suggest you connect it with the pc's hit points, giving a bigger hit die if need be.

I increased the HD to d8 (I don't think it should be d10). It it uses Technique points because its a technician. They also already lose Health when they use their own blood as part of the Attuned Blood Ability.

TechnOkami
2011-04-15, 08:30 AM
Ah, ok. If you look down below at the "Blood magic... " thread, I'm in the process of making a Blood Mage of sorts as well.

Vadin
2011-04-15, 11:51 AM
First: I would recommend strongly changing his allotment of Technique points from a daily amount to a per encounter amount. For real, 1 point all day at first level? That's...not that exciting. Especially when you consider that, as written, he doesn't get any weapon or armor proficiencies. In addition to an encounter-based power budget, you might want to think about raising his BAB to 3/4 and his HD to d6 or d8. The blood mage concept typically lends itself more to a hands-on arcanist than one that always sits in the back and keeps out of the action.

That aside, I hope you don't mind if I take my time and comment on these technique by technique? I've only gotten through the first half for now, but I plan to come back later and finish the list.

Further food for thought.
It's just my two cents, but I really feel like the trademark feature (so to speak) of this blood bender should be the Natural Techniques. Unlike the very limited list of Techniques (which, if I might be so bold as to come out and say it) are basically just sand-themed psionic powers with a different name.

If this is a bloodbender and not a sandbender, we're going to expect him to have different spells, yes? It would not, I'm sure, be out of the question to envision a blood mage performing more obviously supernatural feats than the sandbender could. If natural techniques were beefed up a little and made a more central feature of the class, the powers the bloodbender manifests could take something of a backseat role. The class could, functionally, look something like a psionic warrior/warlock hybrid. Raise the BAB a step, make natural techniques stronger (they're like a warlock's invocations- a new power or feature that lets the player do a few cool and thematically related things without having to worry about running out of damage-dealing resources).

In fact, I'd go so far as to recommend gutting the 'techniques' for the class and wholesale replacing them with the psionic warrior's powers and power progression (with a few changes to the power list, I'm sure). By and large, though, the psionic warrior would actually mesh very well with the idea of a bloodbender not needing any outside weapons- many of the class's powers deal with giving a character natural weapons, enhancing a character's natural weapons, or otherwise changing ones form so as to survive and thrive in close combat.

Natural Techniques
Living Shield: Let's see...Sanguine Shield sounds like a pretty ok name. When this technique is taken, the bloodbender learns how they can use their telekinetic and transmutative powers over blood to keep themselves safe: they take unconsciously focus a roving area of the blood within their body, ready to jerk themselves out of harm's way on a moment's notice or harden the blood in the area in question to deflect incoming attacks. While the shield is active, the bloodbender gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC, a +1 bonus to Reflex and Fortitude saves/5 levels in the class, and DR 1/-. This technique is automatically activated at the beginning of the bender's first turn in an encounter. If an attack breaks through their defenses and the bloodbender's focus is interrupted (an attack beats his AC or he fails a Reflex or Fortitude save), the sanguine shield goes away until the bender takes a swift action to reactivate it.
Each additional time this technique is taken, the dodge bonus to AC increases by +2, the bonuses to Reflex and Fortitude saves are both increased by +1, and his DR from the sanguinary shield increases by 1. Additionally, the shield no longer dissipates after the bender is damaged by an attack. Instead, the bonuses it provides are all decreased by 1 and the shield isn't eliminated until the bonuses reach 0. At the beginning of a bender's turn, if the bonuses are below their maximum but not yet 0 (the sanguine shield is damaged still intact), the bonuses regenerate by 1 (and obviously will not go above their maximum value).

Moon Sand: I think your idea definitely works as a starting point here. It needs another element to it, though, maybe something relating to battlefield control and forced movement? I hope you don't mind if I run with this.
Perhaps the ability to influence blood and now (to a much lesser degree) water makes the bender able to upset and unbalance the fluids within and around his foes. With a ranged touch attack, he may target one foe within close range he has line of effect to. If the attack hits, the target must make a fortitude against the bloodbender's save DC. On a successful save, the target is sickened (-2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks) until the end of its next turn. On a failed save, the target is nauseated (unable to attack, concentrate, or otherwise perform actions that require serious attention) for 1 round/5 levels in the class.
By taking this technique again, the bloodbender grows more skilled at stirring up his foes. The bender may spend a full round action to target 1 additional foe with the unbalancing ranged touch attack for each rank in this technique after the first (additionally, each enemy targeted beyond the first confers a -1 penalty to each attack roll made as a part of the full action). His skill against single enemies is likewise enhanced -when he uses the standard action option to target a single enemy, he gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll and save DC for each rank the bender has in this technique beyond the first.
Should this power be taken a third time, single targets nauseated by the bloodbender are sickened after the nauseated condition ends for a number of rounds after that equal to the ranks the bender has in this technique. Additionally, any target sickened as a result of a successful save is affected for 1 round/5 levels in the class (where previously the duration was just 1 round).
When taken a fourth time, single targets that fail their save are also fatigued (can neither run nor charge and take a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity) for the duration of the nauseated condition caused by this technique. The bloodbender no longer takes attack penalties when targeting multiple foes with this power.
If this is taken a fourth time, subjects hit by the single target version of this ability that fail their save and are nauseated are, instead of being fatigued, exhausted (move at half speed and take a -6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity) for the duration of the condition. Targets that succeed on their save, whether as part of a single attack or a full round action, are fatigued for the duration of the sickened condition.
Should this technique be taken a fifth time, the bloodbender sees a significant boost in power. Subjects that succeed on the save are nauseated and fatigued for 1 round, after which they are sickened (and, consequently, fatigued) for 1 round/5 levels in the class.
I know the techniques in the original don't have different abilities as they level up like this one does, but I felt that for this particular ability, which is about debilitating conditions and not scalable damage, I felt it made sense. If these are unsuitable, perhaps they could exist as a feat chain that enhances this specific technique? Also, "Moon Sand" doesn't really work as a name anymore...maybe "Unbalance The Humours"?

Sun Sand: Start it off with the second ability, letting them heat the blood inside them to cause themselves to glow or allowing them to superheat and suspend in midair a swirling, magical sphere of sanguine energy. Also, maybe call it "Sun Soul" or "Radiant Concentration"?
At its initial level, the power this technique generates inside the bloodbender's body can be expended either internally or externally. The bender begins the technique by using a swift action to pool the otherworldly essence of solar fury into his physical form. His hands shed bright light in a 10' radius, and his body is infused with arcane heat, granting him 5 fire resistance/5 levels in the class. He may release this magic in the form of fire and heat, the energy bursting from his hands and searing his foe, adding 1d4 fire damage/5 levels in the class as part of one particular melee attack (if used during a full attack, the bender must specify which attack roll is benefiting from the extra damage before he rolls the attack dice). If the technique is used on a foe and not the bender himself, the bender makes a ranged touch attack (close range) against a single foe with a Constitution score. Utilizing the principal of sympathetic magic, the bloodbender causes the boiling in his own blood to be echoed and exaggerated in the ever-flowing fluids inside his foe. On a successful attack roll, he dramatically manages to bring the energies in his hands to the brink of bursting out and, concentrating carefully on the liquid essence of his enemy, the bender deals 1d4 fire damage/2 levels in the class to his enemy.
There we go, the initial technique gives a situational utility (10' radius of light), a situationally significant defensive bonus (fire resistance), an offensive boon for melee oriented bloodbenders (for a swift action they can ready the ability, then on the same turn expel the Radiant Soul and add an extra 1d4 damage/5 levels to a standard action melee attack that turn), and a ranged offensive option for more users of blood magic who prefer the old-school ranged damage of evocation spells (swift action to initialize, ranged touch attack, 1d4 damage/2 levels of a commonly resisted but still usually useful damage type).
Taking this technique again could go two ways. First, there's a setup like the one for what was "Moon Sand". Odd ranks could provide modest increases to damage die size, bonuses to attack rolls, and increased defenses beyond just fire resistance while the ability is charged. Even ranks could convey new rider effects, like fatiguing for one or more rounds anyone hit by the technique's attacks, causing a round of exhaustion and rounds/rank fatigue on a critical hit, and the option to reverse the effects entirely (channeling entropy instead of energy, dealing cold damage instead of fire, and sickening/nauseating the enemy instead of fatiguing/exhausting them).

Storm Sand: Hmm...that's tough. It's totally sand-oriented and doesn't translate well into a blood-bending technique. If you want to keep the feel of this particular technique, it could be a power that gives the bloodbender the ability to ready a retaliatory defense against electricity or convert magical energy to electrical energy within their bodies. I might call it "Veins Of Lightning" or "Storm Heart".
When the bender enters this state as a full-round action, he becomes 'conductive' until the end of his next turn. If struck by an electrical attack from any source or hit by an unarmed melee attack, natural weapon, or metal weapon, the bender takes only half damage from the triggering attack as the attacker is temporarily stunned by the shocking backlash and is left unable to completely follow through on their attack. If the attack dealt electricity or lightning damage, the attacker takes 1d6 untyped damage/4 levels as the bloodbender saps more energy from the target than they intended. Otherwise, the attacker takes 1d4 electricity damage/4 levels in painful static discharge. After this reaction, the bloodbender is no longer considered 'conductive'. The conductive state can be extended until the end of his next turn by spending a swift action to maintain it.
Taking the technique a second time could give the bender the option of not discharging themselves immediately upon getting attacked and could give them the option of 'charging'. When he spends a swift action to extend the state, he also charges up and increases the damage die of his retaliatory attack by one size (up to 4 times [d4>d6>d8>d10>d12], but no damage die will increase past a d12). An interesting side effect of their heightened levels of energy can be observed in the jitters of those who study the secrets of the Veins Of Lightning technique-- the shakes caused by all the extra power bound up inside the bender put his nerves on edge and jump in shock more often than usual, giving him a +1 bonus to Reflex save for each charge he holds.
A third rank gives the bender's electric aura a heightened ability to excite his own nerves as energy flows out of his body (or into it, if the triggering attack was electric). When an attacker beats the bender's defenses while he is conductive and charged (his damage die has been raised at least one step), he may expend one or more charges to lower the value of the attacker's roll 2 points while not lowering his own defenses for the expended charge until after the attack is resolved. Additionally, he gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to the number of times he has charged the Veins.
I don't know if this really warranted it's own spoiler or not, but I don't want it to take up space if it doesn't need to be read.
For example, a level 8 bender with 26 AC (24+2 charges) has been hit by a bastard sword with an attack roll of 29, a mere 3 points higher than the bloodbender's defense. Obviously, he could discharge himself, reduce the damage by half, and deal at least 2d8 electric damage to the assailant. Now that he has the third rank of this technique, however, he could opt to lower his damage die by 2 ranks, first from d8 to d6 then from d6 to d4. This slight static shock against the incoming foe reduces his attack roll by 4 points, from 29 to 25, now one too low to beat the bloodbender's defense- the bender's defense drops down to 24, but he still has the Veins Of Lightning activated and ready to cut his damage intake in half.
The fourth rank of this gives the bloodbender minor but noticeable upgrades. First, the bender is now able to more precisely control the twitches created by the his electricity, letting him finely manipulate his body and move it with lethal speed and precision- for every rank that the bloodbender is charged he gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls. Similar to the defensive ability of the previous rank, the bender may now expend charges before rolling an attack to gain a +2 bonus to attack for each lost charge (as with the other ability, the loss of attack bonus from giving up charges isn't taken into account until after the attack is resolved). Additionally and perhaps most significantly, the Veins now start off charged by one step, meaning that the swift action to form and activate the Veins gives the character +1 to attack rolls, +1 AC, +1 to his reflex save, and a d6/d8 damage die.
I can't think of a fifth and final ability right now. It would definitely include a little capstone bit about increasing the damage done by class level/4+the number of charges the bender has and decreasing the damage taken in an already-reduced attack by the same amount (for example, being level 18 with 5 ranks in this technique and 3 charges would let you deal 4d10+7 electricity damage to the man who just hit you with that rapier, and the damage he deals would drop from 30 to (30/2=15-7=8) a mere 8 damage.

Hands Of Drought: Without the specific sand elements this one gives a 1d10 touch attack that deals untyped damage. Useful at 1st level, not so good after that. Playing off the idea that this technique is one in which the bloodbender literally pulls the blood out of his opponents skin, I would say this should be a pretty iconic option. As is, it's not too good. But we can fix that! To give some direction to the technique, perhaps it shall be called "Essence Leak"?
To start, the touch attack is being changed. The bloodbender can touch a creature's flesh and cause it to obey his painful biddings: spontaneous cuts across the arm, tender bruises across the ribcage, deep piercings from inside the gut- not only are all three possible, they're some of the most common attacks employed by melee-oriented practitioner of the sanguine arts. By spending a swift action to coax the blood from his opponent's body, the bender sets his foe up for massive damage. The bender can make a melee touch attack using his Wisdom in place of his Strength or Dexterity to hit (if his Wisdom is higher) with any weapon he holds against a foe with a Constitution score. In addition to the weapon's normal damage, this touch attack deals 1d6 damage of the same type as the weapon he wields for every 4 class levels he has. If any die in the damage roll lands on a 1, reroll it until it is no longer a 1. In addition to this new special attack, the bender adds his current Wisdom modifier to his health.
There! Now this entry level special attack is actually not awful. It's a snazzy weapon that can potentially deal some very nice damage but is it the very least a viable melee option.
Upon learning the second rank of this technique, the bender is better able to practice his unnatural arts at a distance. His melee touch attack may now be made as a ranged touch attack if the character so chooses and is for all other intents and purposes the same. Practice makes perfect, they say, and the bender's frequent self-experimentations have made him tougher than he was before, giving him DR 1/-.
The third rank sees a serious leap in the bloodbender's power as the special attack provided by the class now deals 1d6 damage per 3 levels (instead of 4). His body continues to toughen up, and he permanently adds 2x his current Wisdom modifier to his health.
The most notable advancement in this technique's fourth rank is the advancement of the bender's DR to DR 3/-. In addition to these fixed numerical increases, the bloodbender's attacks grow adept at finding and exploiting a foe's momentary weakness. Whenever a bender deals damage to a foe he dealt damage to on the round before (damage from any source), he gains a stacking +1 bonus to hit that target until the bender takes damage, attacks a different target, or misses an attack.
The fifth rank of Essence Leak is the capstone of this technique's power. While the changes are simple, they're all undeniably noticeable. The additional damage increases to 1d6 damage/2 class levels and he permanently adds 3x his current Wisdom modifier to his health. Finally, the bloodbender now adds his Wisdom modifier to all damage rolls from ranged or melee weapon attacks.

Again, mostly scattered thoughts and probably unbalanced ideas. Just food for thought. Looking over things again, I'm not sure I see the need for the Greater Control abilities. If you get them at a set level and you can only choose them if you've already taken so many steps down a particular Natural Talent road, well...why not just add them into that Natural Talent? Seriously, you're getting one new rank in a Natural Talent every three levels, right? So at level 10, when you get your first Greater Control, you more or less have to pick the one that relates to the Natural Talent you've invested at least 2/3rds of your upgrades in. And then you get another Greater Control at level 20? You only get 2! And there's no mystery about which one a character will pick- they'll pick the one based on their preferred Natural Talent. That being the case, the two things ought to be combined.

Choosing a natural talent at present gives you new and permanent options by granting a character special attacks, unique defensive measures, or straightforward numerical advantages in something combat related. If Greater Controls are eliminated, they could be replaced by the third level of a technique giving you access to a new and thematically unified set of powers that complement the abilities granted by that Natural Talent. Additionally, a tiered system where each rank in the Talent gives whole new boons usurps the other role of Greater Control, the addition of new powers to an already competent set of powers.

Thoughts?

Milo v3
2011-04-15, 07:01 PM
Well that was a lot of reading. But I like that. It means that theirs hope for this class. But back onto fixing it.

Food for thoughts Answers.
Technique Points

I would recommend strongly changing his allotment of Technique points from a daily amount to a per encounter amount. For real, 1 point all day at first level? That's...not that exciting. Especially when you consider that, as written, he doesn't get any weapon or armor proficiencies
I changed the base Daily allot to Encounter. And Bonus points work kind of like Spell-like abilities (But please not they are not spells).

Base Attack and HD

In addition to an encounter-based power budget, you might want to think about raising his BAB to 3/4 and his HD to d6 or d8. The blood mage concept typically lends itself more to a hands-on arcanist than one that always sits in the back and keeps out of the action. [/QUOTEI don't think I should Increase his BAB as he would rarely use weapons and it is pretty good for a combatant that doesn't use weapons. I already changed the HD to 8. But I must remind you that they don't need to make the Attuned Blood in the field. They can make it whenever and they don't need to use their own blood.]
Sand Techniques
[QUOTE]Unlike the very limited list of Techniques (which, if I might be so bold as to come out and say it) are basically just sand-themed psionic powers with a different name.
Firstly I haven't put a list of techniques in. The natural techniques don't use the technique points they are contast abilities. I just want to also say that Benders don't use Magic, Psionics, Incarm (Or whatever its called) they use Techniques. The Natural Techniques and Greater Controls aren't actually techniques.
Psychic Warrior/Warlock

If this is a bloodbender and not a sandbender, we're going to expect him to have different spells, yes? It would not, I'm sure, be out of the question to envision a blood mage performing more obviously supernatural feats than the sandbender could. If natural techniques were beefed up a little and made a more central feature of the class, the powers the bloodbender manifests could take something of a backseat role. The class could, functionally, look something like a psionic warrior/warlock hybrid. Raise the BAB a step, make natural techniques stronger (they're like a warlock's invocations- a new power or feature that lets the player do a few cool and thematically related things without having to worry about running out of damage-dealing resources).
You can expect different Techniques. I have yet to put them on the site so far (One will be using the Iron in the Attuned Blood to eviserate the enemy).
The Natural Techniques aren't realy the main focus because the Techniques will be. Their resources will be limited on their Damage-Dealing Resources because they can only use a certain amount of Techniques per encounter. These will be their main abilities.
Psionic Warrior

In fact, I'd go so far as to recommend gutting the 'techniques' for the class and wholesale replacing them with the psionic warrior's powers and power progression (with a few changes to the power list, I'm sure). By and large, though, the psionic warrior would actually mesh very well with the idea of a bloodbender not needing any outside weapons- many of the class's powers deal with giving a character natural weapons, enhancing a character's natural weapons, or otherwise changing ones form so as to survive and thrive in close combat.
No. Just. No. The Bender of the Sanguine is a Technician. It will use Techniques. They can't use magic or Psionics. If I take away the Techniques then I'll take away the Natural Techniques & the Greater Controls & Bloody Hands & Attuned Blood, ect. I'lll tell you why, because these are technician abilities. What you asked for is to make a completely different class with blood abilities.

I'll respond to the other parts in a while (Probably on a second post) as I have something I need to do.

Vadin
2011-04-18, 11:04 AM
No. Just. No. The Bender of the Sanguine is a Technician. It will use Techniques. They can't use magic or Psionics. If I take away the Techniques then I'll take away the Natural Techniques & the Greater Controls & Bloody Hands & Attuned Blood, ect. I'lll tell you why, because these are technician abilities. What you asked for is to make a completely different class with blood abilities.

But...they are the same. The sandbender's technician points are just about exactly halfway between the psionic warrior's and the psion's (127 and 343, respectively- the sandbender gets 233, two less than the 235 that would actually be the midpoint).

The powers, regardless of what you call them, work the same way. Sure, these techniques have a higher limit on augmenting than psionic powers do (psionics- you can't spend more than your manifester level in points on something, techniques- it varies with the power). But seriously, the techniques listed on the site...not that balanced. If you want to look for mechanical balance in your powers/techniques (or whatever you want to call your abilities that require the expenditure of points and may be augmented by spending additional points), I strongly urge you to look at psionics, not the sandbender.

Milo v3
2011-04-18, 06:16 PM
Are you saying they are too weak or too strong? Also I've never played a game using Psionics so I wouldn't know if they are balanced (But I have heard they are more balanced then spells). I think the fact that their is only a tiny amount of Techniques and this balances their strong nature.

draconomial
2014-05-10, 12:48 AM
Funny, I only now realize that you had Gaara in mind as well. I guess the Blood Gourd does fit.

Necro!

kennysmith1234
2014-05-10, 01:39 AM
Basic and probably lame suggestion, but you might get a good idea from it, so here is my attempt:

Natural Techniques:
Sanguine Arms: The Bloodbender gives 1 cubic foot of attuned blood a limited sentience with the sole goal of protecting the Bloodbender. The Bloodbender permanently loses control of that cubic foot of blood meaning it can no longer be used for techniques (but still counts against the amount of attuned blood the Bloodbender may have) but in return the Bloodbender gains a permanent +1 to touch AC and +1 to Reflex save, and deals 1+(half of the Bloodbender's level rounded down) damage to any melee attack that lands. This blood is no longer magical but instead could be considered almost a creature. This new blood will remain invisible until something attempts to harm the Bloodbender in which case it moves in the way of the incoming attack, blocking it. This does not stop functioning in an anti-magic zone or any other type of anti-magic area.
Spilled Water: Water up to half the amount that can be attuned by a Bloodbender can be transformed into blood and utilized. This adds a +1 bonus to all effects of Sanguine Arms. This bonus becomes +2 if the Transformed Water is used as the Sanguine Arms.
Burning Blood:
The attuned blood of a Bloodbender deals an extra 1d6/(3 levels of Bloodbender) fire damage to any creature it comes in contact with. Sanguine Arms deals an extra 1 point of fire damage to attackers.
Lightning Bleed:All attuned blood the Bloodbender controls now deals an extra 1d8/(5 levels of Bloodbender) electric damage to any creature it comes in contact with. Sanguine Arms deals an extra 1 point of Electric damage to attackers.

OP or lame, still something to work with. Have fun.

Mith
2014-05-11, 11:55 AM
1) This makes me think of Roland (http://kate.ilona-andrews.com/players/roland/) from the Kate Daniels series. The ink is mostly bits about his history, but basically he could form his blood to create interesting artifacts, and is really quite terrifying.

2) Suggestions for the class

- Make a mechanic that signifies the amount of blood drawn from the body with each draw, and the effects it has on the body (one would pass out by the first draw). The average human has 1.5 gallons of blood in it's body, so one would . To get around that, maybe have the ability to create a vial of blood made of ruby which holds more blood than it apparent volume up to twice the volume the bloodbender can control. They can only store their own blood in the vial.

- Have a Regenerative feat that maybe starts out from being active from sleeping and eating, as well as a medative rest, and growing to a lesser Restoration after every draw. If this is used, then the above vial wouldn't be needed. Maybe have that a Bloodbender that attempts to overdraw, and doesn't decide to kill themselves with the casting will instead pass out and go into a restorative sleep.

Hanuman
2014-05-11, 01:05 PM
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Vladimir