PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Help -- For a beginner

cupkeyk
2011-04-13, 10:45 PM
Okay, a new guyw ill be joining our three year old Eberron Campaign and his previous experience is 3.5e. He has never heard of Divine Metamagic Cheese so i guess he's not an over optimizer. He likes wading into combat, buffing allies and healing. That being said, I was told to put together an easy character to play for him for our Sunday game. And then I fail. Everything I put together is complicated with riders up the wazoo. I made a Battle Cleric but I tried explaining the math and he's so confused he is confusing me. So can someone put together a Cleric on training wheels? Either Battle Cleric or Melee (Storm?) Warpriest for me/us?

Requirements:
Level 15
Race must be human, preferrably a dragonmarked heir but not necessarily.

tcrudisi
2011-04-13, 11:47 PM
Well, I was actually confused. 4e is very newbie friendly and you were wanting help creating a straightforward class. No problem. And then I read level 15.

Yikes.

That's your problem. Making a decent and fun level 15 anything is not going to be straightforward.

I really, really suggest running a couple of sessions at level 1 so he can get the basics down. Then go back to the level 15's. He'll still be thrown to the wolves, but that way he'll know the wolves are coming and have a shield to hide behind. There's just so much at level 15 that one can do: 4 encounter attack powers, 3 daily attack powers, 2 at-wills, crazy item synergies and powers, paragon path stuff, feats ... just, no. No matter how beginner the character is made, it's still going to be complicated in the eyes of a newbie. He needs to learn the system before being thrown into paragon tier.

cupkeyk
2011-04-13, 11:54 PM
Thanks... I might run him a single session of kick in the door combat/adventure.

Another issues is that since the existing party is three years old, we have tactics like very-vicious-mockery/chicken-din/radiant mafia. We want to include him but doing so will need for him to learn the synergistic features. Sigh

mobdrazhar
2011-04-14, 12:26 AM
Thanks... I might run him a single session of kick in the door combat/adventure.

Another issues is that since the existing party is three years old, we have tactics like very-vicious-mockery/chicken-din/radiant mafia. We want to include him but doing so will need for him to learn the synergistic features. Sigh

actually all the party with have to learn to work together... not just the new guy getting used to your tactics

MeeposFire
2011-04-14, 12:34 AM
Make him a cavalier paladin. They have only one encounter power to keep track of. Pick a few party buffs like wrath of the gods and that should help. Multiclassing into shaman and taking spirit talker should get you an encounter heal. It is a bit easier.

Knights and slayers would fit the simple class idea but it is hard for them to buff (control and help the party by defending sure but buffing would be hard.

All of these work well with humans.

One idea make a human cavalier and take virtuous strike (it is a cha based MBA). This will allow you to make a cha based cavalier. Since you can dump str this makes the two normal at wills in the cavalier useless (they are str based) Normally this would be bad but since your player needs simplification losing those at wills will not be missed further this boosts his other stuff (since they are cha based). In this case your player will have only one at will which is his MBA (which is similar to 3.5) and only 2 encounters (one that boosts your at will and something from your paragon path). You would still have the same number of utilities and dailies but you are doing better especially in the area he would be most uncomfortable (at wills and encounters which were less common in 3.5). Just be sure to pick cha based dailies.

gurban
2011-04-14, 04:09 AM
To make his character simpler, give him mostly passive feats. By level 15 just about every player should take Improved Defenses and Resilient Focus.

Kurald Galain
2011-04-14, 04:13 AM
I made a Battle Cleric but I tried explaining the math and he's so confused he is confusing me.

Basically what tcrudisi said. Also, suggest he play a striker (since they are generally the easiest role to play) and/or a 4.4 class (since they tend to be easier to build).

Dalek-K
2011-04-22, 02:06 PM
I would say go Pacifist Cleric from 4e, sure he will have tons of things to do but give him "spell cards" and that will be taken care of.

Why?

Cause Pacifist Clerics are insanely awesome (or was... not sure if they got an errata) and he will be useful. Being useful in a new group will do wonders for group unity and tactics.

Also this way he can stay out of close combat, run around , and still be effective :D

Gillric
2011-04-22, 02:35 PM
I would say go Pacifist Cleric from 4e, sure he will have tons of things to do but give him "spell cards" and that will be taken care of.

Why?

Cause Pacifist Clerics are insanely awesome (or was... not sure if they got an errata) and he will be useful. Being useful in a new group will do wonders for group unity and tactics.

Also this way he can stay out of close combat, run around , and still be effective :D

A pacifist cleric is not something that qualifies as simple. And yes, it has been touched some by the errata. It only works well in certain types of groups anyway.