PDA

View Full Version : Short (really short) Stories

Robbie McPaul
2011-04-15, 09:34 AM
Hey there everyone,

I recently presented myself with a writing challenge, more specifically I've started writing stories containing five hundred words or less, kind of like novellas for the internet age. All of my preconceived notions on the idea aside, it's been an interesting challenge so far. It's forced me to completely change the way I think about plot structure, character hooks and word choice.

Anyways I decided to use the wonders of this internet thing to allow strangers to comment, praise and critique as the case may be and I figured I'd share the link here so you can come by and take a peek if you so wish. I've been updating two stories at a time on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a week now and plan to keep the update schedule for the time being.

If you have a bit of time come on down and tell me what you think: http://internetnovellas.blogspot.com/

Lissou
2011-04-18, 07:31 PM
I wrote two really short stores once. Here they are:

As they yelled “Surprise!”, I wished I was wearing pants.

“I only want what's best for you”, the man said. She looked up at the scalpel he was lowering to her face and found it hard to believe.

(10 and 30 words respectively).

I agree it's tricky to write very short (I've written longer stories than the two posted here, these were just the ones I can fit in my post easily :P), but I find it very rewarding.
It does make it harder to produce a lot, though, when each short story requires its own plot. And each word needs to really matter when you have so few of them.

vollmond
2011-04-28, 12:50 PM
I really like your stories, Lissou edit: errr, I meant Robbie McPaul :smallredface: your was good, too, Lissou, but nothing to subscribe to :smalltongue:. I've added you to my reader :smallsmile:

I've written one short story: http://ink.imnotpete.com/2011/02/14/short-fiction/ I believe it weighs in around 300 words. Needs a bit of editing, but I'm mostly happy with it.