PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII d20 Limit Breaks

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-16, 12:47 PM
after posting links to my first draft of the above system, the comments i had reflected that the limit break system was complicated and that the way you gain them through the heroic class was a rip-off, so i decided to make it simpler.
I have created the Limit Tree system and they are presented below in all their glory.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Sword Art
Ranger
Dragoon
Vehicle Strike
Monk
Ninja
Spellcaster
Gambler
Demonic

Solaris
2011-04-17, 12:31 AM
Now, if only you'd post a link in this thread...

NineThePuma
2011-04-17, 02:00 AM
Found it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10783770#post10783770).

*goes back to my cave*

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-17, 03:59 AM
i haven't been able to post links to the newer version yet and i won't be able to for some time as my laptop has gone funny and need to get it fixed. However, i will be posting the newer ideas on the board just so i could run them past you guys first to see what you think.

I know this should be in a new thread, but after researching more on the compilation of final fantasy vii, i've decided to add Moogle and Goblin as playable races, so players could choose between them as well as Human and a Shinra-created specimen.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-04-17, 04:29 PM
Well, if I designed a system like this from the ground up, I think it would be best to keep breaks extremely simple. How about this?

"A limit break is an ability a character can use once per day, and only when he is bloodied (at half his maximum hit points or lower.) Most limit breaks do not require attack rolls or saving throws, they automatically hit. Using a limit break is a full-round action unless noted otherwise."

Charging Strike
Class: Fighter
Effect: You may move any distance in a straight line, up to twice your base land speed. You may move through allies and enemies, must make checks and movement penalties appropriate for the terrain, and do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Any enemy adjacent to you during this movement takes damage as though you scored a critical hit with your weapon (roll separately for each enemy you hit.)

Arcane Fire
Class: Wizard
Effect: All enemies within 100' take 1d8 fire damage per two caster levels (minimum 1d8, no save.) This effect goes around corners like a burst, and can break through obstacles at your discretion as long as it does enough damage to destroy them.

Anyways, a quick rundown on the mechanics. If you make it limited to one effect per day, it's that player's "cool thing" that they get to do once per session. The bloodied limitation means that PCs usually can't open combat with the ability, they only get to use it in the dramatic parts of fights.

Just my two cp.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-18, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your comments Thomar_of_Uointer. I think if could fuse the Limit Tree idea along with the your idea on how limit breaks are to be used then it might be a solid system, but, i don't know, i'm thinking there's something missing.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-04-18, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your comments Thomar_of_Uointer. I think if could fuse the Limit Tree idea along with the your idea on how limit breaks are to be used then it might be a solid system, but, i don't know, i'm thinking there's something missing.

Really, the only thing missing is "how do you earn them?" I guess the easiest thing to do would be to say "you only get one limit break, and you can change which limit break you know after 8 hours of rest." Then just give a big list with prerequisites (mostly class- and level-based, with some spell- or feat-based ones too,) and say that you can pick any one limit break you meet the prerequisites for.

KISS is a good way to run things when you're proposing variant rules.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-18, 01:02 PM
Really, the only thing missing is "how do you earn them?" I guess the easiest thing to do would be to say "you only get one limit break, and you can change which limit break you know after 8 hours of rest." Then just give a big list with prerequisites (mostly class- and level-based, with some spell- or feat-based ones too,) and say that you can pick any one limit break you meet the prerequisites for.

KISS is a good way to run things when you're proposing variant rules.

That was the whole idea about the Limit Trees, in that they work similar to talent trees, and it gives the players a variety to mix and match.

For instance, a player could choose Braver as their first limit break at 1st level then select Rush Assault as their second limit break at 3rd level, etc.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-04-18, 02:11 PM
How about something like this?

A limit break is a unique ability that PCs can use when they are in a crisis. Each PC knows only one limit break, but he can change it to any break he meets the prerequisites for after eight hours of rest.

You can only use a limit break with a spell prerequisite if that spell is on your list of spells known (as a spontaneous caster) or if you prepared it the last time you prepared spells (as a prepared caster.)

Using a limit break is a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, unless noted otherwise. Limit breaks usually do not require attack rolls and usually do not allow saving throws.

A limit break can only be used once per day, and you can only use it when you are bloodied (at half your maximum hit point total or lower.) Limit breaks cannot be used in conjunction with feats or other class features unless noted otherwise.

Charging Strike
Prerqs: Martial Weapon Proficiency
Effect: You may move any distance in a straight line, up to twice your base land speed. You may move through allies and enemies, must make checks and movement penalties appropriate for the terrain, and do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Any enemy adjacent to you during this movement takes damage as though you scored a critical hit with your melee weapon (roll separately for each enemy you hit.)

Dancing Flames
Prereqs: Burning hands
Effect: All enemies in a 100' burst centered on you take 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level.

Deathblow
Prereqs: Fighter 1
Effect: You automatically hit one opponent within your reach or within one range increment (if you are using a ranged weapon,) dealing damage as though you scored a critical hit with your weapon. You may also add double your base attack bonus to this damage, plus an additional 5 points of damage for every extra attack you gain from a high base attack bonus. You may Cleave with this attack, but subsequent attacks are resolved with normal attack and damage rolls.

Feral Dance
Prereqs: Animal Companion
Effect: If you are within 30' of your animal companion, the two of you each deal melee damage for one attack to every opponent within 30' of either of you. You and your animal companion may move up to your base land speed without provoking attacks of opportunity as long as you end your movement adjacent to one another. All damaged enemies are considered flanked, and remain flanked until the end of your next turn. This is a full-round action for both you and your animal companion.

Grand Summonning
Prereqs: Any summon monster or summon nature's ally
Effect: You immediately summon one creature that you could normally summon, but under the effects of a divine might spell.

Healing Wind
Prereqs: Cure light wounds
Effect: You and all allies in a 100' burst heal 10 points of damage per caster level, divided as you choose among them.

Icicle Lance
Prereqs: Ray of frost
Effect: All creatures in a 120' line take 1d6 cold damage per caster level, and are slowed for one round per caster level.

Instant Summons
Prereqs: Any summon monster or summon nature's ally
Effect: Pick any three creatures that you can summon with summon monster or summon nature's ally spells. They are summoned immediately, and act as you direct. However, the duration of the summoning effect is halved (to a minimum of one round.)

Life
Prereqs: Raise dead
Effect: One ally you can see is warded against death. If he is at -1 hit points or lower, he immediately heals as many hit points as his hit point total. This effect lasts for one round per caster level, or until the target is slain. You may use this limit break as an immediate action, quickly enough to revive an ally when a killing blow is struck.

Strike Rush
Prereqs: BAB +6
Effect: Make a charge attack against one opponent you could normally charge. You may make a number of melee attacks against that opponent equal to your base attack bonus, all at your highest attack modifier, plus the bonus for charging. If you use two weapons or a double weapon, you gain a number of additional attacks equal to your Dexterity modifier and suffer the normal penalties for two-weapon fighting.

Thunderstorm
Prereqs: Shocking grasp
Effect: For one round per caster level, you may strike one enemy within 60' with lightning as a swift or standard action. Each strike deals 1d6 damage per two caster levels (minimum 1d6.)

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-18, 03:24 PM
Now that's more like it :). Thanks for that, obviously i won't be using the same abilities that you listed here (i don't want to get sued lol) but the idea is the same as what i had pictured in my head.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-04-18, 07:22 PM
Now that's more like it :). Thanks for that, obviously i won't be using the same abilities that you listed here (i don't want to get sued lol) but the idea is the same as what i had pictured in my head.

Feel free to use them. I'd like to see what you do with them, and maybe I'll compile them for my blog.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-19, 02:49 PM
i think when it comes to being faithful to ff7 (well, 95% anyway) i want to stick to the limit breaks shown within the compilation and rework them in d20 mechanics. So i would like to say thank you for your offer but i'm disinclined to acquised your request.

Zeta Kai
2011-04-19, 05:06 PM
I made a Limit Break system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54941) a couple of years ago that provides LB for almost every Final Fantasy game, from VI to XII. I'll be comparing the two, to see how this one stacks up.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-21, 06:35 AM
Hmm, this presents a problem. After looking over the ffvii limit breaks i find myself in a situation where no matter how hard i try to word them, im more than likely to be copying yours.

But this is a challenge, and i love challenges.

Already i've changed how gaining limit breaks is aquired. I have decided to remove the Limit Breaker feat entirely and replaced it with the Limit Tree system (see below). How you use limit breaks will be the same as in my first draft core rulebook i posted a link to in the thread titled "Final Fantasy VII d20 Core Rulebook - Compilation Edition". For those who haven't checked it over, here is a brief explanation:

On the character sheet there is a large box made up of 30 smaller boxes, numbered 1-30 appropriately. Every time a character is attacked by weapon/unarmed/natural weapon damage, the character crosses off ONE box. If the character is attacked by magic damage, the character crosses of TWO boxes; summon damage allows a character to cross off THREE boxes. If a character crosses of a number of boxes equivilant to his/her Wisdom score, s/he can use a limit break they have gained thus far. Using a limit break uncrosses 5 of the crossed off boxes.

LIMIT BREAKS
You gain a limit break ability at 1st level, and every three levels thereafter (3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). When you reach a level where you gain this class feature, choose a limit break from any of the Limit Trees presented in Chapter 6: Limit Breaks. You must meet the prerequisites (if any) before gaining that limit break.

LIMIT TREES

SWORD ART
You are gifted in the ways of using a blade.
Prerequisite: Weapon Proficiency (swords)
Braver: You make a single attack against one target within line of sight of you. The attack is considered an automatic hit for purposes of this limit break.
Cross-Slash: You make an attack against a single target within line of sight of you. The attack is considered an automatic hit for purposes of this limit break and you are considered to have the Triple Attack feat, regardless of whether you have it or not. If the target still has hit points after the attack, the target is knocked prone for the next round of combat.
Blade Beam: You shoot a wave of energy from your sword and deal 3d12 points of damage to a single target within line of sight of you. Any targets within a 6-square radius from the main target receives 1d12 points of damage each. The damage increases by 1 die every second level after gaining this limit break
Prerequisites: Braver, Heroic level 6
Climhazzard: You skewer a single target within line of sight of you. The attack is considered an automatic hit for purposes of this limit break and you deal an additional 1d6 points of damage for every heroic level you've gained thus far.
Octaslash: You make two full attacks against a single target within your line of sight. You are considered to have the Quadruple Attack feat, regardless of whether you have it not, and the attack is considered an automatic hit.
Prerequisites: Braver, heroic level 12
Omnislash: You make three full attacks against a single target within your line of sight. The attack is considered an automatic hit and you are considered to have the Quadruple Attack feat, regardless of whether you have it or not.
Prerequisites: 3 Sword Art limit breaks, heroic level 18

RANGER
You are a master of the gun and some throwing weapons.
Prerequisites: Weapon Proficiency (pistols), Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons)
Big Shot: You fire a large ball of energy at a single target within line of sight of you. The attack is considered a critical hit for purposes of this limit break.
Mindblow: You deplete one target's mp, who is within line of sight of you, by 2d4 points. The mp damage increases by 1d4 for each level you've gained thus far.
Grenade Bomb: You make an area attack with a grenade. You can throw the grenade into any unoccupied square, ignoring any penalties that normally apply. The attack is considered a critical hit and deals triple max damage (instead of double) to all in the grenade's blast radius for purposes of this limit break.
Prerequisites: Big Shot, grenade, heroic level 6
Dynamite: You make an area attack with a dynamite. You can throw the dynamite into any unoccupied square, ignoring any penalties that may apply. The attack is considered a critical hit and you deal an additional 1d8 points of damage to each target within radius for each heroic level you've gained thus far.
Prerequisites: Heroic level 3, dynamite
Ungarmax: You fire with your gun at all enemy targets within a 6-square radius from you, dealing triple max damage to each as though you rolled a critical hit.
Prerequisites: Big Shot, heroic level 12
Catastrophe: You inflict plasma damage with your gun to all enemy targets within a 6-square radius from you. The attack is considered a critical hit and you deal max damage times four (instead of the normal times two) to each target within radius.
Prerequisites: 3 Ranger Limit Breaks, heroic level 18

DRAGOON
You are highly skilled with jump attacks and melee brawling.
Prerequisites: Trained in Jump skill, minimum Strength score 12
Boost Jump: You vault into the air and crash into one enemy target that is in your line of sight, dealing your weapon's damage as though it were a normal attack. The attack is considered an automatic hit and the damage increases by 1d8 points for every heroic level you have.
Hyper Jump: You leap into the air and land in an unoccupied square, driving your melee weapon into the ground which causes a shockwave that hits all opponent targets in a 6-square radius from your drop point. The distance you can move is equivilant to your speed and the attack deals a critical hit to all opponent targets within range.
Prerequisites: Boost Jump, heroic level 6
Dragon: You summon a Dragon to attack an enemy target that is within your line of sight. The dragon deals 3d6 points of claw damage and for every point of damage you restore the same amount to your hit points and magic points. The damage increases by +1 die every two levels after gaining this limit break.
Dragon Dive: You make a number of attacks equivilant to one-half your base attack bonus (rounded-down) on all enemy targets within a 6-square radius from you. The attacks are considered automatic hits and you can divide the number of attacks between each target to how you want it.
Prerequisites: Boost Jump, heroic level 12
Big Brawl: You make a number of attacks equivilant to your base attack bonus against all enemy targets within a 8-square radius from you. The attacks are considered automatic hits and you can divide the number of attacks between the targets as you see fit. The attack after the first suffers a -3 penalty to damage and an additional -1 penalty to all subsequent attacks until the end of the limit break.

VEHICLE STRIKE
You use a vehicle's weapons as though they're your own.
Aerial Assault: As a full-round action, you call upon a vehicle with which you are familiar with to attack all enemy targets within a 12-square radius from you, ignoring any range penalties that may apply. The weapon must be either, torpodo, missile, or assault gun.
Prerequisites Vehicular Combat feat, Familiar class feature, heroic level 18.
Satellite Beam: You call on assistance from a vehicle to attack all enemy targets within a 10-square radius from you, ignoring any range penalties that may apply. The vehicle weapon must be either laser beam or mako beam.
Prerequisites Vehicular Combat feat, heroic level 12.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-04-22, 12:10 PM
LIMIT TREES - Continued

MONK
You are well versed in the art of hand-to-hand combat.
Prerequisite: Martial Arts I feat, Block class feature.
Beat Rush: You unleash a series of four unarmed attacks against a single target within line of sight of you. The attacks are considered automatic hits for purposes of this limit break.
Somersault: You attack a single target within your line of sight with a flipping kick. Your unarmed attack is considered an automatic hit for purposes of this limit break.
Waterkick: As you high-kick a single target within your line of sight, you deal an additional 3d8 points of water damage to the target as well. The unarmed attack is considered a critical hit and you deal an additional 1d8 points of water damage every second level gained after aquiring this limit break.
Prerequisites: Beat Rush, heroic level 6
Meteodrive: You pick up a single target within your line of sight and deliver a backdrop, inflicting a number of points of damage equivilant to your unarmed damage roll x 3.
Prerequisites: Martial Arts II feat, 2 Monk limit Breaks
Rush Assault: You deal a series of 8 unarmed attacks against a single target within your line of sight. The attacks are considered automatic hits for the purpose of this limit break.
Dolphin Blow: You deal an unarmed attack against a single target within your line of sight. Roll a d10 and compare the result below:

1 - Attack fails. Your turn ends immediately.
2/3/4 - Normal attack (target's Reflex Defence sets the DC check).
5/6/7/8 - Normal attack (target's Reflex Defence sets the DC check). Deal an additional 3d10 points of water damage.
9/10 - Critical Hit against target. Deal an additional 5d10 points of water damage.

Prerequisites: Beat Rush, heroic level 12
Meteor Strike: You grab a single target within line of sight of you, jump into the air before slamming them back to the ground. The damage dealt by this limit break is equivilant to a number of d10 dice times your level (a 15th level character, for example, deals 15d10 points of damage).
Prerequisites: Trained in Jump skill, 3 Monk limit breaks
Hammerblow: You roll an unarmed attack against a single target within your line of sight. If the attack roll exceeds the target's Reflex Defence, the target is automatically removed from the encounter and is considered unconscious.
Final Heaven: You punch a single target within your line of sight so hard, the force of it is similar to that of a nuclear explosion; dealing 20d12 points of damage (your Strength score applies).
Prerequisites: 5 Monk limit breaks, Martial Arts III feat, heroic level 18

NINJA
You are highly trained in quick attacks and maneouvres.
Prerequisites: Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons), Sneak Attack class feature.
Greased Lightning: You attack a single target within a 8-square radius from you. The attack is considered a critical hit for purposes of this limit break, and you deal quadruple damage instead of the normal double damage.
Landscaper: You throw your weapon along the ground, causing a large tremor that deals damage equal to 3d8 x one-half your heroic level to a single target within your line of sight. If you are using the shuriken weapon, the damage is inflicted to all enemy targets within a 6-square radius from the main target.
Prerequisites: Greased Lightning, heroic level 6.
Bloodfest: You attack all enemy targets within an 8-square radius from you 10 times. The attacks are considered automatic hits and you choose how many attacks affect which targets.
Prerequisites: Greased Lightning, heroic level 9
Doom of the Living: You either attack all enemy targets within an 8-square radius or a single target within your line of sight. You make a number of attacks equal to one-half your base attack bonus. All attacks are considered automatic hits for purposes of this limit break, and you choose how many attacks hit each target if you decide to hit multiple targets.
Prerequisites: Greased Lightning, heroic level 15

SPELLCASTER
You are a master of the magic arts.
Clear Tranquil: You heal hit points equal to 3d12 (x your Intelligence modifier) to you and all allies within a 5-square radius from you.
Lunatic High: Roll 1d20 and apply your heroic level and Intelligence modifier, comparing the result against DC 30. If the result equals or exceeds the check, you and all allies are affect with the Haste status-effect. Roll a d6 to determine how long the effect lasts for.
Meteorain: You leap into the air and launch several comets at all enemy targets within an 8-square radius from you, dealing 1d12 x your heroic level to each foe.
Prerequisite: Heroic level 12.
Stardust Ray: You summon a cluster of stars to attack either a single target or all enemy targets within a 6-square radius from you, dealing 5d10 x one-half your heroic level points of damage to the target(s).
Prerequisites: Lunatic High, heroic level 9.
Apocalypse: You summon a circular beam of radiant light beneath all enemy targets within a 6-square radius from you. Roll 1d6 and compare the result below:

1/2 - No affect. The spell instantly fails and your turn immediately ends.
3/4 - All enemy targets within range loses half their current hit points.
5/6 - All enemy targets within range loses all but 1 of their current hit points.

Prerequisite: Heroic level 15.
Gauntlet: You summon a large vortex beneath all enemy targets within an 8-square radius from you, dealing 5d10 x one-half your heroic level (rounded-down) points of damage to each target.
Prerequisites: Clear Tranquil, heroic level 12.
Earth Rave: You automatically hit each enemy target, that are within an 8-square radius from you, with the fire, blizzard, thunder, quake, and poison spells (the secondary effect of the poison spell do not apply).
Prerequisites: Lunatic High, heroic level 15.
Supernova: You summon a solar flare from the cosmos, dealing 10d12 x one-quarter you heroic level (rounded-down) to each enemy target that are currently participating in combat.
Prerequisite: Heroic level 18.
All Creation: You blast all enemy targets participating in combat with a huge beam of iridescent light, dealing 10d10 points of damage each. One-quarter of your heroic level (rounded-dowm) multiplies.
Prerequisites: Clear Tranquil, heroic level 18.

GAMBLER
You take chances and risk luck to gain desirable ends.
Dice: You automatically deal 4d6 points of damage to a a single target within line of sight of you.
You can select this limit break more than once. Each time you do, the damage increases by 1d6.
Slots: Roll 3 d6s and compare the result with the list below:

1/1/1 - You and all allies restore all lost hp and mp. Any status-effects inflicted are instantly removed.
2/2/2 - All enemy targets within a 6-square radius from you are attacked. The attack is considered an automatic hit for purposes of this limit break.
3/3/3 - You attack a target within line of sight of you with a randomly determined spell. Roll a d6. If you roll a 1, you cast fire; if you roll a 2, you cast blizzard; if you roll a 3, you cast thunder; if you roll a 4, you cast poison; rolling a 5 means you cast quake, and rolling a 6 means you cast flare.
4/4/3 - You and all allies' hp is reduced to 0. Game over.
4/4/4 - Your ally's current hp and mp are halved. You gain all experience points associated with the current encounter.
5/5/5 - All attack rolls made by you and your allies are considered critical hits for the remainder of the encounter.
6/6/6 - Instant victory. All enemy targets' hp is reduced to 0 and are KO'd.

Note: Any other combination of numbers results in an instant fail.
Prerequisites: Dice, heroic level 6.

DEMONIC
Your monstrous emotions gets the better of you.
Transform: You can transform into a monstrous form of your own making. Creating the monster is similiar to character creation, except you are free to invent a number of unique weapons and special abilities equal to your Charisma modifier. The GM will create the damage rolls/DC checks. You don't, however, use the heroic class for the monster's creation, instead you use the Beast class described in Chapter 13: Allies and Opponents.
You can select this limit break multiple times (to a maximum of 4). Each time you do, you create a new monstrous form. If you select this limit break at 1st level, you can't select any other limit break at any of the other levels where you gain limit breaks.