PDA

View Full Version : Badger's Hollow - A mini campaign setting

Savannah
2011-04-16, 07:16 PM
All new work taking place here (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/badgers-hollow)!

Not-As-Brief-As-I'd-Like Background
This setting is designed for a mini (1st-7th level or so) sandbox(ish) campaign for new players to D&D 3.5. Basically, what that means is that I set out to make a world that allows for a broad range of adventures without being too big - wilderness exploration, dungeon crawls, political intrigue, stealth, murder mysteries - it can all be found in or near Badger's Hollow. I'm also trying to limit my house rules and other changes from normal D&D, so as to provide a fairly representative example of D&D. Whether or not I succeeded is another matter....

I'm posting it here as an eventual player resource when I actually start a game in the world, and because this is something like the third time I've started working on this world, and posting it will (hopefully) finally force me to finish it. Feel free to steal borrow stuff, ask questions, poke me to post something new, point out typos, and whatever else you want to do.

Overview
This will get nifty flavor text at some point :smalltongue:

Basically, Badger's Hollow is a large town nestled in the wooded foothills of a mountain range, near to the pass through the mountains. In its heyday, there were a lot of traders coming to use the pass to reach the large dwarven mine on the other side (and pay the toll to use the pass) and to trade for the pelts that the hunters of Badger's Hollow provided. Lately, however, the town has fallen on hard times. First, the Deadwood, a mysterious section of forest characterized by dying trees and undead creatures, grew to include the main road to the town. This was "solved" by creating a detour - right through goblin territory, which the goblins weren't too happy about. Even facing goblin raids, traders were still willing to risk travel to Badger's Hollow. But then the dwarves mined too deep - as dwarves are prone to do - and broke through to something that should have remained buried. Within a short time, their settlement was gone, and soon the travelers through Badger's Hollow were, too. Since then, the town has been gradually declining.

Now, things are even more unstable. The Lord Mayor, who had been keeping the town on its feet with careful management, has died and his daughter - although she tries to follow in her father's footsteps - doesn't have the political clout to stand up to the guilds, all of whom have their own vision for Badger's Hollow....

To do:
Teaser flavor text.

Savannah
2011-04-16, 07:23 PM
Geography
Quick-and-dirty map, which will be updated and eventually made all pretty:
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2731/sketchmap.png

Cosmology
Most people are only vaguely aware of the cosmology, although they usually know a little bit about the fey realms. Most of this information is only known by those who study the planes.
An explanation of planes can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm).

Standard Planes
The material, transitive, and inner planes are the same as standard D&D.

The outer planes are nearly the same as standard, however there are fewer and some are in slightly different spots in the cosmology. There are only nine planes, one for each alignment. The planes are as follows:
Celestia - still LG.
Bytopia - now NG.
Ysgard - now CG.
Mechanus - still LN.
Outlands - still N.
Limbo - still CN.
Nine Hells - still LE.
Carceri - now NE.
Abyss - still CE.

Since they’re virtually unchanged otherwise and unlikely to ever come up in the game, I’m not going to detail them further. Assume any outsiders from the missing planes have been reshuffled to whatever remaining plane is most appropriate.
The biggest difference between this cosmology and the normal D&D cosmology is the demiplanes of the fey.

Fey demiplanes
A grove of ancient oaks; the bottom of a lake; a single tree, ten times the size of the largest tree in the mortal world; a forest meadow full of butterflies; a cluster of mushrooms on the bark of a log, the mushrooms the size of trees — the fey realms are universally beautiful and often strange places.
The fey realms are not particularly dangerous to a mortal traveler on their own, although the inhabitants may be far from friendly. The biggest difficulty a mortal traveler faces when visiting a fey realm is returning to their plane, as this is nearly impossible without the help of the Lord of the realm. An additional concern is that time in a fey realm flows strangely, and mortal visitors may return to the material plane to discover that no time at all or weeks have passed since they left. They fey seem unaffected by such matters, and some scholars speculate that the Lords can choose how much time passes in their realm.

The Fey Lords
Each fey realm is ruled by a Fey Lord. The Lords know everything that takes place within their realm and can control when mortals enter or exit their realm.

Travel to the fey realms
Fey and fey-kin may choose to step between the material plane and any nearby fey realms at will, and can bring a mortal along with them if they so choose.

For mortals, reaching a fey realm is a much more random event. Most of the time, a mortal will enter a fey realm accidentally, by triggering a gate. The gates are called fey rings as they are always a perfect ring made of natural materials which resist disruption. The exact form varies, but typical fey rings are a perfect ring of white mushrooms, particularly lush grass, dead grass, or pebbles. The gates are usually fairly easy to spot, but some may be subtle. What causes a mortal to pass from the material plane to a fey realm can vary from simply stepping into the ring to sleeping a full night in the ring. The Lord of a realm can block mortals from entering through a gate, if he or she wishes.

In addition to the fey rings, there are also fey paths. Like fey rings, fey paths are made of natural materials and resist disruption of their perfectly straight form. Typical fey paths are a perfectly straight line of particularly lush grass, pebbles, or plants that have been beaten down as if by many feet but which bear no signs of tracks. Fey paths are typically used by fey or fey-kin to travel from realm to realm, and therefore usually begin and end at fey rings. A mortal walking along a fey path will find that they travel more quickly than normal and do not tire, but risk finding that they have passed from the material plane to a fey realm at some point along their journey. For this reason, fey paths are usually avoided by travelers. Anyone who blocks or cuts a fey path risks the wrath of the fey who use it.

Exiting a realm is tricky for mortals, and can generally only be done by the will of the Lord of the realm. For this reason, few people seek to enter a fey realm, and most actively seek to avoid entering a realm.

Some spells allow a mortal to enter and exit a fey realm or block a fey from stepping into a realm, although this always infuriates the Lord of the affected realm or the trapped fey and so are often not worth the consequences.

Mechanics
The fey demiplanes, generally referred to as the fey realms, are small (generally no more than 10 miles across) demiplanes coterminous with the material plane. Usually, anyone who sets out to walk across the demiplane will find themselves back where they started, although a few demiplanes are bounded by a thick white mist that blocks all passage.

To do:
Geography and notable locations.

Deadwood
Goblin lands
Lizardfolk lands
Tower Watch
Dwarven mine
Naming everything :smallsigh:
Badger's Hollow itself.

Political structure, especially guilds
Locations of interest
Deities.
Finish map (once geography is finalized).
History, both recent and ancient.
Calendar.

Savannah
2011-04-16, 07:25 PM
PC Races
The races here all differ at least a little from the standard races presented in the Player’s Handbook. In most cases, the change is minimal as I’m just tying them to this setting. However, the fluff for gnomes and the fluff and stats for the goblinoids have been changed extensively.
(Remember, as well, that the following notes are all generalities, so it is quite possible to play a member of a race against the norm for that race and you may meet NPCs that act against the norm for their race.)

Dwarves
Physical description
Dwarves are significantly shorter than humans, with males standing, on average, 4’1” and females averaging 3’9”. They are quite stocky, however, and males average 160 lbs while females average 130 lbs. They reach adulthood at around 40 years and can live up to 450 years.
The dwarves of Badger’s Hollow are almost all from clan Terokk, so they tend to share common features. Their skin is usually light brown and their hair ranges from reddish-brown to red. Females usually wear their hair long and in complex braids. Males usually wear their hair in simple styles or even shave their heads to better show off their beards, which they braid as intricately as the females braid their hair. The pattern of braids shows the individual dwarf’s clan, profession, age, and more, although few but the dwarves understand the meanings. In contrast to the complex beard- and hairstyles, dwarves’ clothing tends to be simple and sturdy, made for comfort and protection while performing hard manual labor rather than for show.

Stats
Same as standard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#dwarves), except that there are no orcs in the area, and so the dwarves do not have practice fighting against them (no +1 attack vs. orcs) and they do not have orc as a bonus language.

Elves
Half-elves

Gnomes

Goblinoids
See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195405) for stat discussion.

Unlike standard D&D goblinoids, goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears are not separate species. Goblins are the main species, but approximately 1 out of 10 goblinoids born are actually hobgoblins. Hobgoblins breed true, but generally take goblin mates due to their low numbers. (Hobgoblinism is a recessive genetic mutation.) Approximately 1 out of 100 goblinoids born are bugbears, which are always male and infertile. (Bugbearism is a recessive, sex-linked genetic mutation which causes infertility.) Socially, hobgoblins are respected and are generally leaders of the clan due to their strength. Bugbears are even more respected, but tend to become the clan's prized warriors rather than their leaders. Sisters of bugbears are almost guaranteed a hobgoblin mate, due to the prestige their brother brings to their family.

Goblins
There is a setting where halflings are dinosaur riders. Can someone point me towards that, as I'd like to look at the dinos as possible mounts for the goblins here? Found.

Hobgoblins
(Bugbears)
Bugbears are not a PC race, but it fits better to discuss them here.

Halflings

Humans

Non-PC Races
Fey
Lizardfolk

To do:
Descriptions for all races.
Stats for gobliniods, minor changes to half-elves.

Savannah
2011-04-16, 07:33 PM
To do:
House rules

Pokonic
2011-04-16, 07:46 PM
Huh, looks interesting. I suppose it will function much like other large citys in dnd that can be self inclosed settings for edventure, Ex: Neverwinter and Waterdeep?

Mayhem
2011-04-16, 07:54 PM
There is a setting where halflings are dinosaur riders. Can someone point me towards that, as I'd like to look at the dinos as possible mounts for the goblins here?

Eberron has halfling dino-riders. The main dino they ride is almost identical stat-wise to the warpony.

Oh and from the SRD this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lizardMonitor.htm). Seems comparable to the heavy horse.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-16, 08:13 PM
About Dinosaurs, you could always ask around in LOTRfan's thread on them. I think one of the regulars their (Dire Moose) is an Archaeologist or some such.

Savannah
2011-04-16, 08:21 PM
Eberron! I knew I knew it! Thanks.

As for the dinosaurs, I don't actually want dinosaurs, just giant lizards, but I wasn't too happy with the monitor lizard so I wanted to see what sorts of lizard-y stats were out there.

Mayhem
2011-04-16, 08:34 PM
No worries.
And yeah, as AtlanteanTroll said give LOTRfan a buzz. Chances are, if he doesn't have he'll at least know where it is or help you out.

Savannah
2011-04-16, 09:00 PM
Huh, looks interesting. I suppose it will function much like other large citys in dnd that can be self inclosed settings for edventure, Ex: Neverwinter and Waterdeep?

I somehow missed seeing this. I actually don't know, as I'm not familiar with Neverwinter or Waterdeep. My basic idea was to create a setting for all kinds of adventures and let the PCs actions determine what happens - they could just go and do whatever seems fun to them, they could work to bring wealth back to Badger's Hollow (which could include keeping the new Lady Mayor in power, siding with one of the guilds, taking over the city themselves, or not worrying about who's in power but just working on the other "issues"), or any number of other things. The setting isn't just the city, however, it's the entire region, including the abandoned dwarven mine, the Deadwood, the other races' tribal homes, the demiplanes of the fey, and so on.

Pokonic
2011-04-16, 09:23 PM
I somehow missed seeing this. I actually don't know, as I'm not familiar with Neverwinter or Waterdeep. My basic idea was to create a setting for all kinds of adventures and let the PCs actions determine what happens - they could just go and do whatever seems fun to them, they could work to bring wealth back to Badger's Hollow (which could include keeping the new Lady Mayor in power, siding with one of the guilds, taking over the city themselves, or not worrying about who's in power but just working on the other "issues"), or any number of other things. The setting isn't just the city, however, it's the entire region, including the abandoned dwarven mine, the Deadwood, the other races' tribal homes, the demiplanes of the fey, and so on

Ah, sounds a bit like Neverwinter, then.

Neverwinter is the large city-state that the players can influence/adventure in in the neverwinter nights vidieo game series, and serves as the main local in both games, and has oppotunitys to adventure in varying locals around the area outside it

Trog
2011-04-17, 07:47 AM
Looks like a good start! :smallsmile: I like that there used to be some sort of sense of purpose to the region but that events have shifted that and now everything is in ruin in a way. I could see all sorts of quests that could pop up for the players in a region like this. And all sorts of NPCs trying to bring themselves to the top of the heap to wrest control of this floundering trade route.

Janus
2011-04-17, 02:27 PM
Aw, so no real dinosaurs, then? :smallfrown:
Just to contribute something, do the riding lizards look anything like this?
http://www.ngp.cc/archives/yane.jpg
Drogmors from EverQuest (they come in a variety of colors!).

Savannah
2011-04-17, 02:41 PM
Glad you like it, Trog. That's exactly what I was thinking, too....

And I have no idea if the lizards look like that (although I'm thinking not - I'm envisioning more of a gila monster). I'm not even sure that they are going to be lizards, to be honest.

Andre
2011-04-18, 10:16 AM
*thumb up*

History, both recent and ancient.

Question-that-seems-OOT-but-it-is-not; do you fancy history?

If you wish, you really have the chance to make it more important than it normally is - by contrast. Technically, since the flow of trade has slowed significantly, so should have the flow of information coming in, forcing people to rely more on past knowledge and vague rumours. And as Badger's Hollow becomes more isolated by the day, the knowledge the players rely upon gets more and more outdated and could be very imprecise or very wrong beyond the zone that is commonly dwelled by people extensively. Some may not like it... I would find such a scenario realistic, though. (and hilarious)

Savannah
2011-04-18, 06:23 PM
Finished up the cosmology, particularly the demiplanes of the fey. It's definitely not standard D&D, but I like my fey a little more mysterious and dangerous than standard :smalltongue: Also, I'm quite sure that there are more than one type of location that will put you under the power of the fey in folklore, but I can only remember the fairy ring at the moment. Does anyone remember any others (or where to go looking)?

(Why did I start with cosmology? Because I asked a friend I was chatting with what to start on and that's what he said. Since the precedent of me working on whatever is requested has been started, is there anything you want me to work on next? :smalltongue:)

Question-that-seems-OOT-but-it-is-not; do you fancy history?

I tend to prefer legend :smalltongue:

If you wish, you really have the chance to make it more important than it normally is - by contrast. Technically, since the flow of trade has slowed significantly, so should have the flow of information coming in, forcing people to rely more on past knowledge and vague rumours. And as Badger's Hollow becomes more isolated by the day, the knowledge the players rely upon gets more and more outdated and could be very imprecise or very wrong beyond the zone that is commonly dwelled by people extensively. Some may not like it... I would find such a scenario realistic, though. (and hilarious)

That's definitely an interesting idea, however since the loss of the Old Road and the dwarven mine is fairly recent and the PCs aren't going to go beyond this area, I'm not sure how much it would apply.

You'd like the other campaign setting I was working on, though. I'm detailing the history and legends according to each PC race (in that world, the races are generally quite separated) and of course each is a mix of fact and fiction, which hides essential clues to defeating the BBEG(s). (I haven't posted that world, yet, though.)

Lady Moreta
2011-05-30, 11:09 PM
I like this setting, it's cute :smallsmile:

Also - other ways to get into Faerie (I'm bored at work, what can I say?)

Will-O'-The-Wisp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_o%27_the_wisp). Wikipedia says the fey used it to confuse travellers and one could avoid trouble by simply not following it, but it could be used by angry fey to trap the unsuspecting. Maybe they want to catch a mage who used magic against them.

Fairy rings can be more subtle than mushrooms. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/FairyRingSchoolField.jpg/800px-FairyRingSchoolField.jpg) Let me know if you can't see the bigger one (in the background), the small one at the front is really obvious, but I had to look twice to see the bigger one and I'm trained for that sort of thing.

Fairy Paths. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_path) Generally straight line paths between 'significant' sites like fairy forts, fey circles, other places of traditional significance. Perhaps somewhere in a forest there's a strand of green that runs straight between otherwise meandering trees?

Fairy forts. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_fort) Says they were generally avoided, but shouldn't be too hard to have someone accidentally enter one.

Stone circles. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_circle) Can't believe I didn't think of that one...

And that was just googling 'entrances to fey lands' :smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-05-30, 11:22 PM
I like this setting, it's cute :smallsmile:

Thanks...I think :smalltongue: (Why "cute"?)

Also - other ways to get into Faerie (I'm bored at work, what can I say?)

Ooh, thanks! I'll see about adding those in sometime soon :smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-31, 12:22 AM
Thanks...I think :smalltongue: (Why "cute"?)

I don't know... because I'm in a weird mood today? I think it's the name... Badger's Hollow just sounds - cute and rustic. Plus the fact that it's just this region, not an entire world. General rule: the smaller something is, the cuter it is.

Ooh, thanks! I'll see about adding those in sometime soon :smallbiggrin:

They could climb a tree ala Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree :smallbiggrin:

Eldest
2011-05-31, 01:48 PM
If there is a lake nearby, you could walk across the reflected moon to get to faerie. Out of my imagination.

Savannah
2011-05-31, 06:40 PM
Added more details on gates to the fey realms and fey paths.

Will-O'-The-Wisp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_o%27_the_wisp).

Interesting... I think I'm not going to include it in that section, although I probably will note when I'm detailing the common fey creatures that Will-o'-Wisps will sometimes try to lead travelers into fey rings.

Fairy rings can be more subtle than mushrooms. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/FairyRingSchoolField.jpg/800px-FairyRingSchoolField.jpg)

Noted.

Fairy Paths. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_path)

I cannot believe I forgot those! Definitely added :smallbiggrin:

Fairy forts. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_fort)
Stone circles. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_circle)

Hmm... I have other plans for old ruins in the woods, so I think I'll leave those sorts of things for that. However, I did add rings of pebbles as a possible fey ring, which is sorta like stone circles :smalltongue:

If there is a lake nearby, you could walk across the reflected moon to get to faerie. Out of my imagination.

Interesting idea. However, I already have plans for the lakes...I probably shouldn't say more :smallamused:

Wyntonian
2011-05-31, 10:58 PM
I have really enjoyed reading this setting so far, and I'm tempted to run a game in it if you don't mind. I just have a couple of questions. One, I'm a little fuzzy of Faerie. So, I know pretty well how one might enter it, but what is it? I understand that it's a semi-overlapping demiplane ruled by a faerie lord... but aside from that, what is it for? Just a faerie bachelor pad? Or a place for adventurers to go kill stuff?

Savannah
2011-05-31, 11:17 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin: You're welcome to run a game in it, but it's very, very much unfinished at the moment, so I'd suggest waiting. (The fact that you want to is a sign that I've done what I wanted to -- made a place where it's very easy to set all sorts of adventures!) I do have some additional DM notes on the mechanics of what I've got so far, so if you ever do run a game, send me a PM and I'll send you the stuff I don't want players knowing :smallwink:

As for the Fey Realms, they're a series of small demiplanes, each ruled by a different Lord, where the fey live most of the time. They're not a place for adventures to just go kill stuff; the Fey Lords are extremely powerful and don't take kindly to people just killing their kind. I'll be detailing the fey and fey-kin later in the races section. As for what happens there... Parties, dances, hunts, court, weird rituals that no mortals have ever seen, and pretty much anything the DM wants. While there might be adventuring there, it's likely to be trying to get back to the material plane after accidentally stumbling in, rescuing a captive mortal and escaping alive, or possibly negotiation with one or more of the Lords.

Mulletmanalive
2011-06-02, 07:46 PM
Perhaps Faerie Fief (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10937660#post10937660) would be useful for your demiplanes.

Feel free to use anything in the thread, just link back if you use stuff.

Omeganaut
2011-06-02, 09:21 PM
Keep going. This sounds like something that would be great for a rookie DM (Like I'm going to be sometime in the future) to start with. With most of the details planned out, its a lot easier for a DM to keep a game running rather than having to try and make up important details on the fly as characters make unexpected decisions.

Savannah
2011-06-08, 04:08 AM
Added a tiny bit to the races section. I have a lot more that I've been working on, but unfortunately a lot of it is either loose notes that need to be properly typed up or DM-only information that I can't post.

Thanks, Mulletmanalive, that's quite an interesting feat. However, don't think it's quite what I was going for.

Glad you like it, Omeganaut! Like I'd said earlier, when I get done there will be a lot of DM-only information not posted, so if you're thinking of running a game in it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Eldest
2011-06-21, 11:36 PM
Now that I think of it, I'd like a copy of the DM stuff only once you finish.
And now for the actual helpful part: how many Fae Lords/Ladies are there, and will they all have their own demiplane? Or could (as a random example) a Fae of Summer and a Fae of Winter share a plane and be locked in ceaseless battle, with fortunes turning as the seasons turned...
On second thought, that sounds more like a thing for dieties. But the question still stands.

Savannah
2011-11-18, 06:25 PM
If anyone is still interested in this, I've moved it here (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/badgers-hollow) as I was having a lot of trouble keeping my notes organized in a way I liked. I don't think I've added any new information and I'll probably forget about it for months again, but I figured I'd give anyone interested an update as I'm not planning on updating this thread when I work on this more.

Eldest
2011-11-18, 08:41 PM
YAY! It's still alive!

Savannah
2011-11-18, 08:46 PM
I rarely abandon projects. I just ignore them for months :smalltongue:

Pokonic
2011-11-18, 09:04 PM
Arise dead thread that eternal lied, for even great threads like these have died.

Great to see you working on it again.:smallsmile:

And I have no idea if the lizards look like that (although I'm thinking not - I'm envisioning more of a gila monster). I'm not even sure that they are going to be lizards, to be honest.

Giant flightless birds have never been called unoriginal.

Savannah
2011-11-19, 04:32 AM
Alright, I think I've transferred all the information in this thread, and added some minor stuff.

The issue I have with giant flightless birds is that it's a pretty heavily wooded area and flightless birds depend on being able to run across open planes. I'm thinking either giant lizards or big cats for the goblin mounts...although I'm not sure how you would ride either...

Wyntonian
2011-11-19, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking either giant lizards or big cats for the goblin mounts...although I'm not sure how you would ride either...

Very carefully. Would it be too far-fetched for them to use a canine? Wolves are overdone, but coyotes can do ok in thick woods, as can foxes. Maybe rather large, canny foxes bred for the smallish goblin scout troops...

Savannah
2011-11-19, 12:48 PM
Goblins + worgs? Yeah, canines in general are overdone. I'm leaning towards the cat, on the grounds that it would be cool for goblin ambushes to involve being pounced on from the trees.

Wyntonian
2011-11-19, 01:29 PM
That sounds....terrifying.

Pokonic
2011-11-19, 02:01 PM
Goblins + worgs? Yeah, canines in general are overdone. I'm leaning towards the cat, on the grounds that it would be cool for goblin ambushes to involve being pounced on from the trees.

You know whats also underdone? Giant, preditory Olms.

Think for a moment: Your group of adventurers are going fine and dandy thru the woods. Its all going rather well, until you find some rather odd tracks that are not-quite sluggish and not-quite reptile. As it becomes darker, your local Ranger thinks something is rather odd going on, considering that there is almost no wildlife in the area.

As the night falls, a great, moist slithering comes from the local streams and hidden pockets of water below ground. As the olms burrow up from the ground, there goblin riders come out from there camp to mount them. As they come to the camp at impressive speed, the last thing the adventures hear is the crunching of there skulls in the beasts mouth.

Might not be entirly practical, but it is a option for the underground goblinoids who prefere a more exotic form of travel.

Wyntonian
2011-11-20, 01:17 AM
You know whats also underdone? Giant, preditory Olms.

I'm a little shocked that my google-fu says they're real critters. I feel like a slimy amphibian would be kinda hard to stay on as a mount. But I would agree, yes, that they are underdone.

Omeganaut
2011-11-20, 01:30 AM
While flightless birds do tend to live on plains more often, they most certainly could have powerful jumping abilities. Reduced weight due to bone structure and packed muscles in important areas would allow them great jumping abilitis. Let their vestigal wings be used for gliding, and they would make terrifying predators.

Savannah
2011-11-22, 02:01 AM
Okay, I'm stalling on racial write-ups because I know I need to say enough about personality for someone to play a member of the race, but I'm not sure what I should be saying. Any ideas (not so much for the personalities, but more for how to format the vague information I have in my head)?

Pokonic
2011-11-26, 06:44 AM
I'm a little shocked that my google-fu says they're real critters. I feel like a slimy amphibian would be kinda hard to stay on as a mount. But I would agree, yes, that they are underdone.

Why, did ya think nature was not that weird? Everyone thinks riding a giant frog would be dandy, but they always forget the slimy critters of the deepest caves...
Hey, dont doubt the goblins ablity to make due with there mounts. Heck, how do you think they can ride Worgs and such?

Okay, I'm stalling on racial write-ups because I know I need to say enough about personality for someone to play a member of the race, but I'm not sure what I should be saying. Any ideas (not so much for the personalities, but more for how to format the vague information I have in my head)?

Social standereds, racial relations, and interpersonal outlooks?

Calmar
2011-11-26, 10:03 AM
I really like your mini setting! It is an original approach, but still solidly rooted in traditional myths and campaign concepts.
I like your take on the fey. I use them in my own setting and your ideas are quite inspiring. :smallsmile:

How about varying degrees of overlap between the fey realms and the mortal reals? Some faery places might appear to be situated in the mortal world, like an enchanted castle within a deep forest or in a remote valley in the mountains?

Do the goblins live underground, or on the surface? What about spiders or degenerated wyverns (a Medium-sized breed that has no ability to fly) as goblin mounts? Hogs or dire goats might be cool, too, since the area around the New Road appears to be plains or hills terrain.

Savannah
2011-11-26, 11:29 AM
I really like your mini setting! It is an original approach, but still solidly rooted in traditional myths and campaign concepts.
I like your take on the fey. I use them in my own setting and your ideas are quite inspiring. :smallsmile:

Why thank you :smallsmile:

How about varying degrees of overlap between the fey realms and the mortal reals? Some faery places might appear to be situated in the mortal world, like an enchanted castle within a deep forest or in a remote valley in the mountains?

In this instance, I think not. If there's some remote valley, it is simply a remote valley with something strange in it, not a fey holding. On the other hand, if you don't realize you've slipped into a fey realm...

Do the goblins live underground, or on the surface? What about spiders or degenerated wyverns (a Medium-sized breed that has no ability to fly) as goblin mounts? Hogs or dire goats might be cool, too, since the area around the New Road appears to be plains or hills terrain.

...aw, man, I had just settled on cougars when you had to go add the option of wild hogs. Now I've gotta think about it again! :smalltongue: (They live on the surface.) Actually, come to think of it, I should look into large flying creatures as well...

Calmar
2011-11-26, 05:09 PM
I'm curious, how do you intend the goblins to be like?

Are they rather serious like these boys...
http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/1383.jpg

or are they of the ridiculous kind?
http://images.wikia.com/pathfinder/images/b/b0/Burnt_Offerings_cover_detail.jpg

(while I don't normally steal from LotR, I have to admit that it's the ultimate sollution to me whe it comes to all things orcs&goblins...)

...aw, man, I had just settled on cougars when you had to go add the option of wild hogs. Now I've gotta think about it again! :smalltongue: (They live on the surface.) Actually, come to think of it, I should look into large flying creatures as well...
To me, pumas appear to be graceful and noble animals. Assuming your goblins are the pathetic wretches goblins usually are, I think pumas do not fit very well to them. In case Badger's Hollow lies in an area vaguely similar to central/northern Europe, I'd associate those exotic cats with the fey realms, rather than the mundane world. On the other hand, they seem to thrive in most climates (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Puma_area.png) (and even set up an exclave in Florida :smalleek:).

For flyers I'd suggest wyverns or giant bats.

Savannah
2011-11-26, 05:18 PM
Not necessarily like LotR, although probably closer to those goblins than others... Not pathetic wretches, really.

Pokonic
2011-11-26, 05:40 PM
Not necessarily like LotR, although probably closer to those goblins than others... Not pathetic wretches, really.

Hmm...

Would you be willing to twist what the name "goblin" means? Because I am sure that a less regimented Hobgoblin would fit your idea of a goblin. Organised, well-armed, and willing to use lesser kin as fodder and workers respectivly?

Also, do they live underground or do they have above-ground settlements?

Calmar
2011-11-26, 06:10 PM

On second thought I think I used the wrong words; what I meant was more like "depraved and malicious". :smallredface:

There are also goblins living in the mountain, aren't they? As far as mounts and gear are concerned, it might make sense to clearly distinguish between the New Road raiders and mountain goblins then. They might also have been twisted by whatever it is that now lurks in the ruined halls of Terokk (changing them into dreaded fiendish goblins, or worse!).

How recent is the Unearthing of the Horror, anyways? Since the decline of Badger's Hollow is already visible, it must be a few years already, doesn't it?

You could provide us with a brief timeline of the major events in the recent history of the area. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-11-26, 06:16 PM
You could provide us with a brief timeline of the major events in the recent history of the area. :smallsmile:

That would require having decided on a final version :smallredface:

Calmar
2011-11-27, 04:28 PM
I felt inspired today and put together a possible, incomplete, timeline of the events since the founding of Badger's Hollow. I tried to stick to canon and have not made up any names for places mentioned by you, like the Mountains. solved
I hope you don't mind me meddling with your project - you may consider this to be the setting's first fanfic. :smalltongue:

A Timeline
Of the History of the Lands of Badger's Hollow

Since the Arrival of Human Settlers from the South

http://www.chgh.net/heraldik/d/da/bilder/dachs.jpg

Year 1 - Helena Berethys leads an army from Emberi to the north and conquers the lands to the north-west of Andyn Forest up to the foothills of the mountains of Drakken Range.
Year 1-4 - A castle is built at Badger’s Hollow to rule and protect the land. The Road, a path connecting Badger’s Hollow to the rich cities in the south, is cleared along the western edge of the forest.
Year 5 - Halflings from remote villages along the slopes of the Drakken Range begin to trade with the newly arrived humans.
Year 6 - A horde of Lizardfolk from the Blackwater Marches in the south-west, lead by the red-scaled sorcerer named Slas the Fiery (rumoured to be a scion of Tangarazar the Flying Inferno) attacks Badger’s Hollow in an attempt to drive the Human invaders back to the south.
Year 28 - Troops from Badger’s Hollow vanquish the host of Grishwûsh the Blacktooth and free Baraz of Clan Terokk from goblin imprisonment.
Year 29 - A trade pact is made between House Berethys and the Dwarven lords of Clan Terokk. Human Traders are allowed to buy ores from the Dwarven mines and sell their goods to the dwarves. During the following years the settlement begins to grow and prosper as traders and further settlers from the south arrive.
Year 60-62 - A wall is build around the city of Badger’s Hollow to protect its inhabitants and wealth from marauders and goblin raiders.
Year 81-83 - Tower Watch is built to guard the road through Agamid's Gate.
Year 86 - Lead by the city’s guilds, the inhabitants of Badger’s Hollow organise themselves in a Conspiracy to further their economic interests; emboldened by their wealth they demand greater autonomy for themselves. Their request is rejected by lord Ormynt Berethys.
Year 95 - Increasingly often shadows and wights are seen stalking outlying farmsteads along the Road.
Year 97 - Again the demand for an autonomous government of the city of Badger’s Hollow is rejected by its lord.
Year 99 - On his return from the disastrous campaign against the giants of the Misty Hills, the citizens of Badger’s Hollow refuse lord Berethys entry to the city. They successfully demand the city be governed by a Lord Mayor elected by the guilds and appointed by the lord.
Year 120 - Late that year, a group of adventurers, the Company of the Emerald Banner, is tasked to hunt down a band of brigands reported to hide within Andyn Forest. The mercenaries are nearly vanquished near an area of large barrow-mounds deep in the forest. The survivors report on a pale wight of horrid magical powers, clad in ancient armor and mounted on a fell nightmare.
Year 125 Few dare to enter the forest now only known as the Deadwood any longer. Evil spirits and walking dead prey upon those foolish enough to step into the now slowly, but surely expanding forest.
Year 130 - The Road is nearly impassable in the haunted Deadwood and any attempts to keep the way clear by force have failed repeatedly over the course of the last years.
Pressure by the guilds of Badger’s Hollow leads to the clearing of a new connection to the south. The new route, simply known as the New Road, branches off the Old Road at the town of Twohares and runs through goblin territory.
Year 134 - The Road is completely devoured by the twisted and dead, yet ever-expanding trees of the cursed forest up to the town of Millford.
Year 142 - The traitorous Castellan of Tower Watch is put to justice after two months of siege.
Year 190 - The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. Nobody knows what they awoke in the darkness of Tor Terokk...
With their main settlement suddenly destroyed, most of the surviving dwarves retreat to their holdings within the mountains, while a fair number flees to the allied Humans of Badger’s Hollow.
Horrors stalk the forests and valleys of the Mountains, making travel or mining almost impossible. The guilds of Badger’s Hollow, mostly dependent on ore and timber from Drakken Range, are cut off from their supplies.
Year 200 - Cut off from its lucrative metal-trade, stuck between the dangerous Mountains, the haunted Deadwood and the goblin-warlords of the south-western hills, Badger’s Hollow is facing difficult times. The premature dead of the Lord Mayor leaves his daughter, his designated representative, in charge of the city council.

Because I don't know if there's an important fixed date of reckoning in your setting I did not make one up. If there's none, I think one should add a number between 800 and 1200 to the dates to make them appear more medieval.

Savannah
2011-11-27, 05:14 PM
...I'm totally going to have to steal bits of that.

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen this (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/badgers-hollow), as that's where I'm doing all the work now. The mountains are named :smallwink:

Calmar
2011-11-28, 05:49 AM
...I'm totally going to have to steal bits of that.

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen this (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/badgers-hollow), as that's where I'm doing all the work now. The mountains are named :smallwink:

Thanks!. Seems I missed that information. :smallsmile:

So,
Dargor is the Dwarven Realm to the North of Drakken Range,
Emberi the land where the people from Badger's Hollow originate from,
Agamid's Gate is the pass through Drakken Range where Tower Watch stands,
and Tor Terokk is the mine where the dwarves dug too deep?

Savannah
2011-11-28, 12:07 PM
No problem, I realized I'd forgotten to put it in the opening post :smallredface:

And, yes, those are the names. Which may end up changed by the time I'm done, but those are the names for now :smalltongue:

Calmar
2011-11-28, 07:24 PM
No problem, I realized I'd forgotten to put it in the opening post :smallredface:
I had seen that link, but didn't notice there was more information hidden there than here.

An adventure crossed my mind. Hope you like...

The Curse of Millsford (short to long adventure)

The length of this adventure ultimately depends on individual preference. It might offer a good opportunity to explore various places in the lands of Badger’s Hollow, involving lots of roleplay, or it might be solved as a straightforward combat adventure.

Background
The village of Millsford is a small community of a couple dozen timber-framed houses, sitting at the northern banks of the Catfish Flow as it slowly wiggles its way from the foothills of Drakken Range through the grassy hills and meadows north-west of the Deadwood. Overlooking the village, the stone keep of the barons of Millsford sits atop of Thistle Hill. Millsford is a hub for grain grown alongside the river and the road to the north; its three watermills grind almost two thirds of the flour sold to the Baker’s Guild of Badger’s Hollow. Before the dead trees of the cursed forest devoured the old Road and crept up to the river, Millsford was also the gate to Badger’s Hollow for Emberian traders and the barons of Millsford made a considerable fortune with tolls charged on trespassing the ford. Today, few dare cross the Catfish Flow anymore at this point and the village has come to be colloquially known as Road’s End. Since the flow of strange merchants stopped and life became quiet in Millsford, the Halflings of the surrounding areas have come to more frequently visit the village to trade, or to simply spend some time in the Wagon’s Wheel, the village’s inn.
For nearly three months, the ogre Bragg, a spawn of the ancient hag Derdraigen, harassed and robbed farmers and travellers around Millsford until he. After he at last killed two of Millsford’s armed guards, a group of heroes was hired to slay the monster. The adventurers ambushed the ogre as he tried to intrude into an outlying farmstead and managed to drive the hulking brute off. Mortally wounded, Bragg finally died on his way to his mother’s domain in the flood plains east of Millsford, a boggy area of rotting trees that was believed to be an enchanted place of death even before the Deadwood expanded to its current size.
Upon the discovery of her dead son, Derdraigen began to horribly scream and wail for three nights and three days; her crying was such that it could be clearly heard in Millsford. On the fourth night, she summoned her sisters to conjure an unseelie curse on the village to make its inhabitants pay for the murder of her offspring. In that night the river ceased to flow in Millford and its waters turned stale and sour within two miles distance around the village. A few miles upstream and downstream the water flows normally, as it should. Thick mists now engulf the settlement most of the day except for the noon hour. At night, walking bog bodies (mummies), giant spiders and various dire beasts are now frequently sighted within the still area of the Catfish Flow and the hills surrounding the village.
The characters can become involved with the adventure in various ways. The baron and the inhabitants of Millsford are desperate to have the curse lifted, for they fear for their lives and depend on the flow of the stream to employ their mills. The Baker’s Guild of Badger’s Hollow is also heavily affected by the sudden decrease of flour imported and the Guildmaster is willing to pay a good price to anyone who puts the mills of Millsford back into operation. The characters could even have been the ones who slain Bragg in the first place (an adventure in its own right) and might now feel responsible to solve the ensuing trouble.

Lifting the Curse
There are two ways of lifting the curse of Millsford:
The most straightforward is slaying the hag Derdraigen. However, the hag is a being of great magical power and was already ancient when Badger’s Hollow was founded. In order to confront the hag, one must find her thrice-enchanted lair within the flood plains to the east of Millsford, an area of dangerous marshland roamed by dire beast, ogres evil faeries allied with Derdraigen. It is almost impossible to avoid detection by her enchanted animal sentries and magical charms hidden in the bushes and trees of the marsh. Therefore such an endeavour should only be attempted by very powerful or very foolish heroes.
The other possibility is to perform a complicated ritual that requires several magical components, a remove curse spell and at least three druids or clerics of a deity of nature and life. The characters can discover this information on a DC 30 Spellcraft check. Otherwise they can consult a sage in Badger’s Hollow, or the druids of Reagh Hill (situated between Badger’s Hollow and Millsford to the east of the road connecting the two settlements). The magical components required are three drops from the river head of the Catfish Flow, the blood of a mountain harpy and tongue of a swamp snake (as well as far more common herbs and substances). These are found three days march to the east of Badger’s Hollow, in the area west to Tower Watch and either in the boggy realms of the Lizardfolk, or Derdraigen’s domain, respectively. Each of these areas might contain a wide range of dangers and encounters with NPCs, be it a powerful elemental guarding the origin of the stream, the hunt on a mountain harpy, or Lizardfolk trying to keep intruders away from their territory. From the components a concoction must then be brewed (Alchemy DC 20) which is then poured into the cursed water during as part of a ritualistic chant performed by three priests or druids (or any combination thereof) at midnight (Spellcraft DC 18).

Concluding the Adventure
Having performed no small feat, the heroes should be adequately rewarded and probably they have earned themselves some fame as well. If Derdraigen is still alive, it is very unlikely that she will forget what the PCs have done and might bide her time for revenge...

Calmar
2011-12-02, 09:42 AM
Hey, I hope I haven't scared you off. I thought someone else's active interest might be motivating when one works on a campaign setting.

Give us moar canon! :smallbiggrin:

Savannah
2011-12-02, 11:01 AM
Nah, I'm not scared off, just super busy at school :smalltongue: Not to mention the fact that I write in spurts...

Savannah
2011-12-08, 02:57 PM
Give us moar canon! :smallbiggrin:

Your wish (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/badgers-hollow/wikis/drakken-range) is my (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/badgers-hollow/wikis/agamids-gate) command (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/badgers-hollow/wikis/history).

...okay, so it's not much, but I'm getting ready to go to class, so it will have to do.

Zansumkai
2011-12-10, 11:36 AM
Just wanted to say that I really like what you've put together here, and it feels very much (to me anyways) like excellent nostalgic D&D. It's making me regret my overly complicated Tarrasque-eaten wasteland even, haha. Also, as an addition to what you've got for the goblins thus far I was wondering if you were familiar with Pathfinder's goblin dog? It basically is a sickly seeming giant rodent that can give you a terrible rash if you touch it, though goblins are immune so they ride them.

Savannah
2011-12-10, 12:55 PM
Never regret a Tarrasque-eaten wasteland! I was trying for a more traditional feel, though, as I'm aiming the game at beginners and so traditional is good to start with. I was not familiar with the goblin dog, thanks.

Wyntonian
2011-12-10, 01:20 PM
While I have nothing particularly constructive to add, I'd like to thank you for turning me on to Obsidian Portal. I think I'll put my own setting up there at some point. It looks too good to pass up.

Calmar
2011-12-14, 06:15 PM
Your wish (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/badgers-hollow/wikis/drakken-range) is my (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/badgers-hollow/wikis/agamids-gate) command (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/badgers-hollow/wikis/history).

...okay, so it's not much, but I'm getting ready to go to class, so it will have to do.

Yeah, that's indeed quite brief. :smalltongue:

I feel Drakken Range and Agamid's Gate are way too hazardous now. I was figuring something in the way of the (http://www.destination360.com/europe/poland/images/s/tatra-mountains.jpg) Tatra (http://www.krakow-info.com/images/tatry.jpg) mountains (http://www.travlang.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/tatra_mountains_331.jpg) between Poland and Slowakia, the (http://www.birminghamuk.com/wales/cambrian/family6%20061_m.jpg) Cambrian (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/336673.jpg) Mountains (http://img.fotocommunity.com/photos/12755348.jpg) in Wales, or the (http://petebuckley.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/massif-central-0012.jpg?w=640&h=438) Massif (http://www.francethisway.com/places/images/gorges-ardeche.jpg) Central (http://peaklist.org/images/france/puydesancy.jpg) in France. You know, big and possibly dangerous, but not that lethal. I think not even Hannibal's army was facing altitude sickness when he crossed the Alps off the convenient paths. The way it stands now, Drakken Range seems to be of the scope of the Himalaya.

As far as the background is concerned, I think the Emberi Era is the only one that needs detail. The events of past millenia shouldn't be groundbreaking enough to vastly affect the events of to-day, especially considering that it is for a mini-setting and not a full-fledged campaign world.

Savannah
2011-12-14, 09:38 PM
I feel Drakken Range and Agamid's Gate are way too hazardous now.

Understand that this is the view of the level 1 commoners in the area. The adventurer's job is to take on the dangerous areas -- it wouldn't be much fun to say "I successfully traversed Mt. Pleasant and survived the Cave of Easy Encounters!" now would it? :smallwink:

I think not even Hannibal's army was facing altitude sickness when he crossed the Alps off the convenient paths. The way it stands now, Drakken Range seems to be of the scope of the Himalaya.

Well, it is a major mountain range, otherwise the fact that Agamid's Gate is the only pass in the area wouldn't be so significant. Also, I'm just using the DMG's guidelines for mountain travel, and a lot of the dangers can be negated with proper preparation.

As far as the background is concerned, I think the Emberi Era is the only one that needs detail. The events of past millenia shouldn't be groundbreaking enough to vastly affect the events of to-day, especially considering that it is for a mini-setting and not a full-fledged campaign world.

Well, aside from how the Dark Age explains a lot of racial hatreds that are still going on and how the other ages explain the old ruins the heroes will be exploring :smalltongue: And that's part of the point of it being a mini-setting -- I can provide a lot more information than if I needed to detail the entire world! (The players won't be required to read it -- I'll have a section on the first page with links to the pages they need to read to play, and anything else is optional.)

Calmar
2011-12-15, 03:56 PM
Understand that this is the view of the level 1 commoners in the area. The adventurer's job is to take on the dangerous areas -- it wouldn't be much fun to say "I successfully traversed Mt. Pleasant and survived the Cave of Easy Encounters!" now would it? :smallwink:
I suppose it's the low-level folks who depend on bearable passages through the mountains. Unless this area is the only source of metal within a huge distance the dangers would outweight the benefits. I'm not saying the Range should be completely devoid of dangers, but dangerous ravines and deadly monsters are one thing, while an environment that kills you for simply being there is something different. :smallwink:

Well, aside from how the Dark Age explains a lot of racial hatreds that are still going on and how the other ages explain the old ruins the heroes will be exploring :smalltongue:
My point is that these events do not usually affect your immediate goals and actions. Robin Hood's gang does not recquire detailed knowledge about the beginnings of Greek and Western civilisation, or even the time before Norman occupation in order to know what's right, nor did the mercenaries of the Thirty Years War need to know the whole history of the Empire since Roman times to deal with the events. Ultimately that's just my approach and you're free to concentrate on whatever you wish, but I had the impression that this setting is supposed to be a somewhat open campaign-setting and therefore thought the imediately useful stuff should be most important. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-12-15, 05:53 PM
while an environment that kills you for simply being there is something different. :smallwink:

It's not going to kill you for being there unless you're stupid enough to try to cross mountains without winter coats...

I had the impression that this setting is supposed to be a somewhat open campaign-setting and therefore thought the imediately useful stuff should be most important. :smallsmile:

Personally, I find campaign settings where the DM has a firm grasp on the background of the world to be much more interesting to play in than when you're just wandering around killing stuff. When a good proportion of the dungeons you go into have artifacts from [ancient empire], as opposed to each one being totally independent, you get a sense that it's a real world where real things happened.

As for why I'm writing it now, I can't just sit down and write whatever I think needs writing most -- that ends with me staring at a blank screen for an hour before quitting in frustration (and often abandoning the project for months). I have to write what I have an idea for and what is currently interesting to me, which happened to be those sections that day. 's just my style, I guess.

Calmar
2011-12-15, 07:51 PM
You should definitely stick to your style. I don't know you or the games you run and I can only make statements based upon my experiences, which may or may not correspond to yours. Actually, the ages long gone are no central aspect of my games, because some of my players like to believe that any interesting plot situated in the past or in distant lands would be more interesting than the events at hand (which used to annoy me to no end, but I learned to deal with it). Therefore there are only references of the Old People who build the ancient stone circles or barrow mounds here and there, or of the Empire that once ruled the land many centuries ago. It did not occur to me such things might be important to other people's games. :smallredface:

I don't want to annoy you, nor convince you how you should do this. Just ignore suggestions that are not useful to your project. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-12-15, 08:11 PM
I don't want to annoy you, nor convince you how you should do this. Just ignore suggestions that are not useful to your project. :smallsmile:

Nah, it's cool. It's always good to make sure I have a justification for what I do (and I'm going to be checking my wording on the Drakken Range and Agamid's Gate when I get back to the project to make sure it doesn't come across as more dangerous than I want it to) :smallsmile: