PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mundane Weapon Modifiers

Drakevarg
2011-04-17, 04:25 PM
This is of course not the first time I've posted this, but the last topic is long since buried and I've added to the formula since. Now in the collection is standardized armor.

Basically my issue with armor was that regardless of what the armor said it was, for the most part it was all fluff with a few pluses and minuses moved about. So instead I took what I felt was a fair average of each armor category and made that the only armor of that category. Beyond that, the exact specifications of the armor are left to the already-developed modifiers and fluff.

As before, these modifiers are meant for a low-magic campaign. I am well aware things would get crazy if magical effects were added to, say, a Red Titanium Greatsword. (Speaking of which maybe I'll get bored later and standardize weapons.)

-----

{table=head]Weapon Description|
Modifier|Cost

Masterwork|
+1 Atk/+1 Dmg|
x2

Fine|
+1 Dmg|
x1.5

Balanced|
+1 Atk|
x1.5

Normal|
--|
--

Imbalanced|
-1 Atk|
/1.5

Poor|
-1 Dmg|
/1.5

Crude|
-1 Atk/-1 Dmg|
/2[/table]

{table=head]Armor Description|Modifier|Additional|Cost

Masterwork|
+1 AC/-1 AP|
Hardness x2|
x2

Reinforced|
+1 AC|
Hardness x2|
x1.5

Fitted|
-1 AP|
--|
x1.5

Normal|
--|
--|
--

Poor Fitting|
+1 AP|
--|
/1.5

Weakened|
-1 AC|
Hardness /2|
/1.5

Crude|
-1 AC/+1 AP|
Hardness /2|
/2|[/table]

{table=head]
Material Name|Bonus to Weapons|Bonus to Armor|
Material Cost

Bronze|
-2 Atk/-2 Dmg|
-2 AC|
5 sp/lb

Iron|
-1 Atk/-1 Dmg|
-1 AC|
1 gp/lb

Steel|
--|
--|
2 gp/lb

Titanium|
+1 Atk/+1 Dmg|
+1 AC|
25gp/lb

Thunderbolt Iron|
+2 Atk/+2 Dmg|
+2 AC|
100 gp/lb

Astral Steel|
+3 Atk/+3 Dmg|
+3 AC|
250 gp/lb

Cocytan Iron|
+4 Atk/+4 Dmg|
+4 AC|
500 gp/lb

Red Titanium|
+5 Atk/+5 Dmg|
+5 AC|
1000 gp/lb[/table]

{table=head]Material Name|Bonus to Armor|
Material Cost

Snakeskin|
-2 AC|
5 sp/lb.

Deerskin|
-1 AC|
1 gp/lb.

Leather|
--|
2 gp/lb.

Yak Hide|
+1 AC|
5 gp/lb.

Rhino Hide|
+2 AC|
25 gp/lb.[/table]

{table=head]
Material Name|Bonus to Weapons|Bonus to Armor|
Material Cost

Elm|
-2 Atk/-2 Dmg|
-2 AC|
5 sp/lb

Ash|
-1 Atk/-1 Dmg|
-1 AC|
1 gp/lb

Oak|
--|
--|
2 gp/lb

Yew|
+1 Atk/+1 Dmg|
+1 AC|
10gp/lb

Ironwood|
+2 Atk/+2 Dmg|
+2 AC|
50 gp/lb[/table]

{table=head]
Armor Type|
AC Bonus|
Maximum DEX Bonus|
Armor Check Penalty|
Spell Failure Chance|
Speed|
Weight

Light Armor|
+2|
+6|
--|
10%|
30 ft., x4|
15 lbs.

Medium Armor|
+4|
+4|
-3|
20%|
20 ft., x4|
30 lbs.

Heavy Armor|
+6|
+2|
-6|
30%|
20 ft., x3|
45 lbs.

--|
--|
--|
--|
--|
--|
--

Light Shield|
+1|
--|
--|
5%|
--|
5 lbs.

Medium Shield|
+2|
--|
-3|
10%|
--|
10 lbs.

Heavy Shield|
+3|
--|
-6|
15%|
--|
15 lbs.[/table]
-Light Armor has to be leather.
-Medium Armor can be leather or metal.
-Heavy Armor has to be metal.
-Light Shields can be wooden, leather or metal.
-Medium Shields can be wooden or metal.
-Heavy Shields have to be metal.

{table=head]
Item Name|
Use|
Cost

Whetstone|
Slashing/Piercing Weapon gains +1 Dmg. No effect on Fine or Masterwork items. Requires DC 15 Craft (Blacksmithing) Check to use. Effect is lost after first critical.|
2 cp

Weight|
Bludgeoning Weapon gains +1 Dmg. No effect on Fine or Masterwork items. Requires DC 15 Craft (Blacksmithing) Check to use. Effect is lost after first critical.|
2 cp

Counterweight|
Weapon gains +1 Atk. Balanced or Masterwork items gain -1 Atk. Requires DC 15 Craft (Blacksmithing) Check to use. Must be balanced to the weapon in question.|
/4 Weapon Cost[/table]

{table=head]
Item|
Craft DC

Simple Weapon|

Martial Weapon|

Exotic Weapon|

Light Armor/Shield|

Medium Armor/Shield|

Heavy Armor/Shield|

--|
--

Masterwork Item|
+5

Fine Weapon|
+2

Balanced Weapon|
+2

Reinforced Armor|
+2

Fitted Armor|
+2

Poorly Fitting Armor|
Miss AC by 2, 50% Chance

Weakened Armor|
Miss AC by 2, 50% Chance

Imbalanced Weapon|
Miss AC by 2, 50% Chance

Poor Weapon|
Miss AC by 2, 50% Chance

Crude Item|
Miss AC by 5

--|
--

Bronze Item|

Iron Item|

Titanium Item|
+2

Thunderbolt Iron Item|
+5

Astral Steel Item|
+10

Cocytan Iron Item|
+15

Red Titanium Item|
+20

--|
--

Snakeskin Armor|

Deerskin Armor|

Yak Hide Armor|
+2

Rhino Hide Armor|
+5

--|
--

Elm Item|

Ash Item|

Yew Item|
+2

Ironwood Item|
+5[/table]

-----

Note, the prices listed are for the cost of the materials. Crafting multiplies the cost by x3.

Lazy Genius
2011-04-17, 05:18 PM
From what I've seen, this seems like great stuff. Of course, I can't say or sure without running a few generic test-encounters using this system, but I think it'll hold its own. Under this system, buying a masterwork (steel) greatsword would be Craft DC20, and cost me 96gp, correct? Also, a simple weapon weighing one pound costs the same as an exotic weapon weighing the same, while the exotic one is twice as hard to make, doesn't quite seem right to me. Might want to add x1.5 to price for martial weapons, x2 for exotic.

While I was already planning to run a low-magic campaign before I saw this, this really made up my mind, and I think I might use this variant in my game. I'm now also very interested as to what you'll do with the weapons to making them standardized.

If I may though, can I suggest (since you standardized armor anyway), a different craft DC for armor: DC10 for light, DC15 for medium, DC20 for heavy, with the same for shields? This also prevents confusion as to the specific craft DC of Armor, as the "10+AC" part of the DC for a (Masterwork) Red Titanium Heavy Armor is officially 22, while I think you meant 16. The +5 for Masterwork including the +1AC it brings, and the +20 for Red Titanium including the +5AC it brings, grand total being 47 as written. Though I think you meant the DC for that would be 41. No? :smallconfused:

All in all, minor nitpicks not withstanding, I'm a big fan of this, and will most likely use it come my next (low-magic) campaign.

Edit: I also don't see any reason against using leather armor whenever you can, as it's strictly cheaper than metal, and decidedly the same quality, though it only goes so far.

Lyndworm
2011-04-17, 05:21 PM
This is really, really, cool. I'd love to see the standardized weapon list, as well. It seems like you'd need a few different types for each Proficiency, though. You'd need weapons that deal damage, weapons that crit, weapons with reach, and weapons that grant bonuses. Maybe I'll work something up if I get some time.

Drakevarg
2011-04-17, 05:41 PM
From what I've seen, this seems like great stuff. Of course, I can't say or sure without running a few generic test-encounters using this system, but I think it'll hold its own. Under this system, buying a masterwork (steel) greatsword would be Craft DC20, and cost me 96gp, correct? Also, a simple weapon weighing one pound costs the same as an exotic weapon weighing the same, while the exotic one is twice as hard to make, doesn't quite seem right to me. Might want to add x1.5 to price for martial weapons, x2 for exotic.

Exotic weapons aren't exotic because they're complex in design so much as they're complex (or obscure) in proper use. Exotic weapons would probably simply display their rarity by the fact that you couldn't find these at some random smithy's shop. In fact, the smithy probably doesn't have a clue how to make one.

If I may though, can I suggest (since you standardized armor anyway), a different craft DC for armor: DC10 for light, DC15 for medium, DC20 for heavy, with the same for shields? This also prevents confusion as to the specific craft DC of Armor, as the "10+AC" part of the DC for a (Masterwork) Red Titanium Heavy Armor is officially 22, while I think you meant 16. The +5 for Masterwork including the +1AC it brings, and the +20 for Red Titanium including the +5AC it brings, grand total being 47 as written. Though I think you meant the DC for that would be 41. No? :smallconfused:

This is a good point. I was considering this, but stopped for reasons I don't fully recall. I'll make the adjustments, as you say, as DC10, DC15, and DC20.

Edit: I also don't see any reason against using leather armor whenever you can, as it's strictly cheaper than metal, and decidedly the same quality, though it only goes so far.

Right, something I forgot to mention:
-Light Armor has to be leather.
-Medium Armor can be leather or metal.
-Heavy Armor has to be metal.

I'll need to come up with wood qualities at some point. Like leather, it'll only go up to +2.

This is really, really, cool. I'd love to see the standardized weapon list, as well. It seems like you'd need a few different types for each Proficiency, though. You'd need weapons that deal damage, weapons that crit, weapons with reach, and weapons that grant bonuses. Maybe I'll work something up if I get some time.

I tried assembling a crude list, but couldn't really think of a way to fill all three size categories of the four weapon skills I decided on (Sword/Axe/Mace/Spear) in all three proficiency levels. Might need to go off the rails a bit here.

[EDIT]: Tentative weapon standardization:

{table=head]
Weapon Class|
Sword|
Axe|
Spear*|
Mace|
Weight

Simple Light|
1d4, 19-20/x2|
1d4, x3|
--|
1d6, x2|
2 lbs.

Simple 1H|
1d6, 19-20/x2|
1d6, x3|
--|
1d8, x2|
4 lbs.

Simple 2H|
1d10, 19-20/x2|
1d10, x3|
1d10, x2|
2d6, x2|
8 lbs.

--|
--|
--|
--|
--|
--

Martial Light|
1d6, 19-20/x2|
1d6, x3|
--|
1d8, x2|
3 lbs.

Martial 1H|
1d8, 19-20/x2|
1d8, x3|
--|
1d10, x2|
6 lbs.

Martial 2H|
2d6, 19-20/x2|
2d6, x3|
2d6, x2|
2d8, x2|
12 lbs.

--|
--|
--|
--|
--|
--

Exotic 1H|
1d10, 19-20/x2|
1d10, x3|
--|
2d6, x2|
8 lbs.

Exotic 2H|
2d8, 19-20/x2|
2d8, x3|
2d8, x2|
2d10, x2|
16 lbs.[/table]

*Reach Weapon

Lazy Genius
2011-04-17, 06:10 PM
Right, they're called exotic, not complex. Thanks for clearing that up. If you could add any changes you make now to the OP (since I'm going to be using this as one of my Resources for my Campaign), that would help me a great deal. I'm also more than a little concerned with the way that this interacts with the already-written special materials and related DR. Could you clarify that as well?

I'll try to run those generic encounters at various levels soon and tell you how that has worked out. Give me some time to crunch numbers into my calculator. :smallwink:

flabort
2011-04-17, 06:15 PM
Say... How much would a masterwork Titanium Repeating light crossbow cost?

Lets see... 25/lb... Thats 25(6)... equals 150... times two... which is 300...

Say, why does it only cost 50 gp for a +2 Attack/+2 Damage bonus?

Or why does one (without the Masterwork bonus) cost 150, while the original is 250? That's spending 100 gp less, and getting a +1/+1 bonus anyways. :smallconfused:

...what am I missing, here? :smallconfused:

Drakevarg
2011-04-17, 06:17 PM
Right, they're called exotic, not complex. Thanks for clearing that up. If you could add any changes you make now to the OP (since I'm going to be using this as one of my Resources for my Campaign), that would help me a great deal. I'm also more than a little concerned with the way that this interacts with the already-written special materials and related DR. Could you clarify that as well?

Well, for the setting I built it for, both Cocytan Iron and Red Titanium are mildly magical in origin, and I consider them to bypass both DR/Cold Iron (though if you wanted to get picky here, Cocytan Iron would be most apt as a Cold Iron equivalent as Cocytus, which the material derives its name from, is the final and frozen level of Hell) and DR/Magic.

DR/Silver would be unaffected by either.

Beyond that, these materials are intended to replace all of the special materials in vanilla DnD, though if you insisted on using the old materials, then their effects would be in relation to Steel.

Say... How much would a masterwork Titanium Repeating light crossbow cost?

Lets see... 25/lb... Thats 25(6)... equals 150... times two... which is 300...

Say, why does it only cost 50 gp for a +2 Attack/+2 Damage bonus?

Or why does one (without the Masterwork bonus) cost 150, while the original is 250? That's spending 100 gp less, and getting a +1/+1 bonus anyways. :smallconfused:

...what am I missing, here? :smallconfused:

Repeating Light Steel Crossbow: 36 gp, +0/+0
Masterwork Repeating Light Steel Crossbow: 72 gp, +1/+1
Repeating Light Titanium Crossbow: 450 gp, +1/+1
Masterwork Repeating Light Titanium Crossbow: 900 gp, +2/+2

What you're missing is that exotic materials are rare and therefore expensive. Additionally, while it's cheaper to get Masterwork Steel than Titanium, Masterwork Steel can't get any better. If you want better, you have to switch to Titanium. Masterwork Titanium is in turn cheaper than Thunderbolt Iron, but again cannot improve beyond its current quality.

...and yet it's still MUCH cheaper than a vanilla +2 Repeating Light Crossbow.

Lyndworm
2011-04-17, 06:36 PM
It seems that all of your spears are two-handed reach weapons, which... I just don't care for, to be honest. In real life (if not in fantasy) spears are probably the single most common weapon of all time. They're used in one hand very nearly as often as two, and the shield and pike style is seen (to some degree) in almost every culture. I don't mean to get all preachy, but a one-handed spear is probably a good idea.

A one-handed spear with reach might be a good idea as an exotic weapon, actually.

There should also be weapons capable of tripping, I think.

Drakevarg
2011-04-17, 06:42 PM
It seems that all of your spears are two-handed reach weapons, which... I just don't care for, to be honest. In real life (if not in fantasy) spears are probably the single most common weapon of all time. They're used in one hand very nearly as often as two, and the shield and pike style is seen (to some degree) in almost every culture. I don't mean to get all preachy, but a one-handed spear is probably a good idea.

It bothered me, too. Thing is I tried to give each weapon type it's own perk:

Swords - Wider crit range.
Axes - Crits harder.
Spears - Reach.
Maces - Bigger damage dice.

Problem being that a 1H or Light spear with reach didn't make much sense to me and I couldn't think of a way to compensate for it.

There should also be weapons capable of tripping, I think.

You could probably trip with an axe, but beyond that I can't think of a weapon that you would actually expect to see on a battlefield (beyond polearms, of which there is a different type for every piece of scrap metal ever put on the end of a stick) that are actually adept at tripping.

flabort
2011-04-17, 07:09 PM
The problem is that, by my math, a masterwork titanium light repeating crossbow is 300 gp, while by vanilla rules, it's 250, and so you're only spending 50 gp more. :smallconfused:

But now I see the x3 for crafting, Aka the price is 3 times what I calculated. So actually 900.

Still, the original is 250 gp, for 6 lbs. These rules greatly reduce the price for a masterwork one. :smallconfused:
I assume the original price is because of the complicated mechanisms within? something that these rules don't cover?

Drakevarg
2011-04-17, 07:12 PM
The problem is that, by my math, a masterwork titanium light repeating crossbow is 300 gp, while by vanilla rules, it's 250, and so you're only spending 50 gp more. :smallconfused:

But now I see the x3 for crafting, Aka the price is 3 times what I calculated. So actually 900.

Still, the original is 250 gp, for 6 lbs. These rules greatly reduce the price for a masterwork one. :smallconfused:
I assume the original price is because of the complicated mechanisms within? something that these rules don't cover?

The original price is ignored when using this system. So while not using this, a Light Repeating Crossbow costs 250 gp. However, when using this system you would use the price it would be if you crafted the crossbow out of Steel (since steel has no modifiers); that is, 36 gp.

Lazy Genius
2011-04-17, 07:28 PM
With the special materials, I think going with the Cocytan Iron bypassing Cold Iron, the Red Titanium the bypassing Adamantine AND Cold Iron, and keeping the same rules for alchemical silver; you can put silver into anything, but you get -1 attack for it and it costs more (how much more specifically is up to you).

After play-testing and calculating, the most obvious thing that stands out is that weapons are accessible faster under this system than the regular system, and while the barrier from regular to Masterwork to better materials etc, is somewhat higher. All in all, the power level of this compared to the old system with Masterwork and Magic weapons, is higher and more realistic, as it scales with weight.
A +5 attack +5 damage greataxe costs 36,000gp with this system, and 50,350gp with the old system. (heavy: 12 lbs)
A +5 attack +5 damage battleaxe costs 18,000gp with this system, and 50,310gp with the old system. (medium: 6 lbs)
A +5 attack +5 damage rapier costs 6,000gp with this system, and 50,302gp with the old system. (light: 2 lbs)
I'm not sure if this was your goal, but it works well for the purpose I want to use it, so I'm not complaining.

I like the standardized weapon, but I agree with Lyndworm in that there should be 1H spears (though probably not all with reach), and Light spears of which none have reach.
The one thing clearly lacking from the list of standardized weapons is ranged weapons and throwing weapons, but I'm assuming you haven't quite gotten to that yet, so I won't go into that.

Drakevarg
2011-04-17, 07:42 PM
With the special materials, I think going with the Cocytan Iron bypassing Cold Iron, the Red Titanium the bypassing Adamantine AND Cold Iron, and keeping the same rules for alchemical silver; you can put silver into anything, but you get -1 attack for it and it costs more (how much more specifically is up to you).

It's -1 Dmg, but yeah. I'd say 1.5x, same as a +1 Dmg bonus (trading -2 Atk for bypassing DR sounds... vaguely reasonable). This is for alchemical silver folded directly into the weapon during the forging. The item... quicksilver, as it? Acts as usual. Akin to a Whetstone.

After play-testing and calculating, the most obvious thing that stands out is that weapons are accessible faster under this system than the regular system, and while the barrier from regular to Masterwork to better materials etc, is somewhat higher. All in all, the power level of this compared to the old system with Masterwork and Magic weapons, is higher and more realistic, as it scales with weight.
A +5 attack +5 damage greataxe costs 36,000gp with this system, and 50,350gp with the old system. (heavy: 12 lbs)
A +5 attack +5 damage battleaxe costs 18,000gp with this system, and 50,310gp with the old system. (medium: 6 lbs)
A +5 attack +5 damage rapier costs 6,000gp with this system, and 50,302gp with the old system. (light: 2 lbs)
I'm not sure if this was your goal, but it works well for the purpose I want to use it, so I'm not complaining.

It's worth it to point out that for my own campaigns, without massive stockpiles of magic weapons to buy, I use NPC WBL/2 -1000gp for PC WBL. (Why the -1000 gp? Because at 3rd level, where I usually start the PCs, they never, EVER buy a house (which I'll give to them for free if they want at CharGen) and wind up with more money than they know what to do with.) And truth be told, since I haven't had to deal with higher level PCs yet, I might get rid of the -1000 gp and just use NPC WBL/5 or something. We'll see.

I like the standardized weapon, but I agree with Lyndworm in that there should be 1H spears (though probably not all with reach), and Light spears of which none have reach.

The issue is finding a way to compensate for the lack of reach; without it, spears are hands-down the worst weapon in the game.

The one thing clearly lacking from the list of standardized weapons is ranged weapons and throwing weapons, but I'm assuming you haven't quite gotten to that yet, so I won't go into that.

I was thinking for thrown weapons make all light weapons throwable (10 ft. range increment, maybe 20 ft. for spears), and maybe make 1H spears throwable with a 10 ft. increment... that might work for their non-reach compensation.

As for ranged, I think it'd be prudent to come up with wood modifiers first.

?? -2 (Elm?)
?? -1 (Ash?)
?? -- (Oak? Willow?)
Yew +1
Ironwood +2

Lyndworm
2011-04-17, 08:42 PM
{table=head]Weapon Type | Blade, Curved | Blade, Heavy | Blade, Straight | Hammer | Mace | Spears | Special Weapons
Simple Light | 1d3 (18-20/x2) | 1d4 (20/x3)| 1d4 (19-20/x2) | 1d3 (20/x4) | 1d6 (20/x2) | - | -
Simple 1-H | 1d4 (18-20/x2) | 1d6 (20/x3)| 1d6 (19-20/x2) | 1d6 (20/x4) | 1d8 (20/x2) | 1d8 (20/x2) | -
Simple 2-H | 1d6 (18-20/x2) | 1d8 (20/x3)| 1d8 (19-20/x2) | 1d6 (20/x4) | 1d10 (20/x2) | 1d10 (20/x2)1 | -
- | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
Martial Light | 1d4 (18-20/x2) | 1d6 (20/x3)| 1d6 (19-20/x2) | 1d4 (20/x4) | 1d8 (20/x2) | - | 1d4 (20/x2)
Martial 1-H | 1d6 (18-20/x2) | 1d8 (20/x3)| 1d8 (19-20/x2) | 1d6 (20/x4) | 1d10 (20/x2) | 1d10 (20/x2) | 1d6 (20x/2)
Martial 2-H | 1d8 (18-20/x2) | 1d10 (20/x3)| 1d10 (19-20/x2) | 1d8 (20/x4) | 2d6 (20/x2) | 2d6 (20/x2)1 | 1d8 (20/x2)
- | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
Exotic Light | 1d6 (18-20/x2) | 1d8 (20/x3)| 1d8 (19-20/x2) | 1d6 (20/x4) | 1d8 (20/x2) | 1d8 (20/x2) | 1d6 (20/x2)
Exotic 1-H | 1d8 (18-20/x2) | 1d10 (20/x3)| 1d10 (19-20/x2) | 1d8 (20/x4) | 2d6 (20/x2) | 2d6 (20/x2)1 | 1d8 (20/x2)
Exotic 2-H | 1d10 (18-20/x2) | 2d6 (20/x3)| 2d6 (19-20/x2) | 1d10 (20/x4) | 2d8 (20/x2) | 2d8 (20/x2)1 | 1d10 (20/x2)[/table]
1 This weapon has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.

Blades, Curved:
These weapons consist of sharpened metal or stone of varying length, though more or less curved in design. They deal both slashing damage and piercing damage, though only one type for any given attack.

Blades, Heavy:
These weapons consist of sharpened metal or stone of varying length, though the design varies considerably. They deal slashing damage. On a coup de grace heavy blades are treated as having one more multiplier in their Critical Damage entry.

Blades, Straight:
These weapons consist of sharpened metal or stone of varying length, though more or less straight in design. They deal both slashing damage and piercing damage, though only one type for any given attack.

Hammers:
These weapons consist of a large head on one end on the end of a short, sturdy pole. They deal either bludgeoning or piercing damage, and may ignore any hardness up to its own.

Maces:
These weapons consist of a weight of nearly any shape and size on the end of a short, sturdy pole. They always deal bludgeoning damage, though some deal piercing or slashing as well.

Spears:
These weapons consists entirely of a sharp tip of some sort on a stick of varying length, and are the most basic of all weapons. They always deal piercing damage, though some can deal slashing as well. Those that do not deal slashing damage may be set against a charge.

Special Weapons:
These weapons take many shapes and sizes, and at first glance may even appear to fit into one of the other groups. They provide the wielder with some sort of special bonus, such as the ability to Trip, a +2 bonus on a combat action (IE; Disarm, Feint, etc.), or some other special quality (like being Finessable despite not being a Light weapon).

Mayhem
2011-04-17, 10:39 PM
This is great stuff, good work :smallsmile:. I'm inspired to update my armour system again.

Actually, do you want me to fit my armour customisation system into yours and post it here? Yours is a better base than the PHB I've been using, I could probably just replace my primary armour with yours and it's done.

Screw it, I'll post it in a spoiler. :smalltongue:

Secondary Armour
{table="head;width=600"]Armour Name | AC | ACP | Max Dex | Price | Weight | ASF
Limb guards, Light | +1 | -1 | -1 | 5gp | 2lbs | +5%
Limb guards, Heavy | +21 | -2 | -2 | 50gp | 5lbs | +10%
Helmet, Light | +1 | 0 | - | 5gp | 3lbs | -
Helmet, Heavy | +21 | -22 | - | 50gp | 7lbs | +5%
[/table]

In a light armour, this only gives a +1 to AC instead of +2
These penalties apply to spot and listen checks only.

Lazy Genius
2011-04-18, 07:09 AM
I'm loving this stuff, the secondary armor, if not for the mechanical ease of use this would provide, then for the fluff reasons to include it. Made me think of a couple weapon additions. Though now I may be going a bit overboard, not sure.

{table=head]
Item Name|
Effect|
Weight

Light Wristguard|
Possible only for Light and 1H weapons, adds +1AC when fighting defensively or usng combat expertise with a -2 or more penalty to AC. 1H weapons with this modification may only be used one-handed.|
+0.5 lbs

Heavy Handguards|
Possibly only for 1H and 2H weapons, adds +1AC when fighting defensively or using combat expertise with a -2 or more penalty to AC. 1H weapons with this modification may only be wielded two-handed|
+1.5 lbs[/table]

Marxism
2011-04-18, 09:55 PM
I would like to point out to everyone that while yes a +5 rapier only costs 6k when you have 6k kicking around you will be fighting monsters with DR and not even having a magic weapon will to put it lightly cause trouble and to put it honestly the monster will laugh as you try to hurt it.

Drakevarg
2011-04-18, 10:01 PM
I would like to point out to everyone that while yes a +5 rapier only costs 6k when you have 6k kicking around you will be fighting monsters with DR and not even having a magic weapon will to put it lightly cause trouble and to put it honestly the monster will laugh as you try to hurt it.

You apparently didn't see the part where I mentioned that the +4 and +5 materials count as magical for the purposes of DR.

flabort
2011-04-18, 10:13 PM
The original price is ignored when using this system. So while not using this, a Light Repeating Crossbow costs 250 gp. However, when using this system you would use the price it would be if you crafted the crossbow out of Steel (since steel has no modifiers); that is, 36 gp.

Hmm. Ok...
I Guess that makes sense...
But I'd figure that it costs so much for all it's special abilities.
Maybe a separate table modifying cost for ranged weapons and special abilities from the weapon?

Drakevarg
2011-04-18, 11:15 PM
Hmm. Ok...
I Guess that makes sense...
But I'd figure that it costs so much for all it's special abilities.
Maybe a separate table modifying cost for ranged weapons and special abilities from the weapon?

Probably. But it'd be a complex system. Difficult to codify and migt need to be taken on a case-by-case basis.

Drakevarg
2011-04-19, 09:36 PM
Formally added wood material tiers.

Lyndworm
2011-04-19, 10:30 PM
Very nice. This project has my continued support. I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to add, however.