PDA

View Full Version : Forces of Gondor IC Thread



tigerusthegreat
2011-04-19, 08:28 AM
The cursed Easterlings have sowed chaos into the people of Gondor. While the King raises an army, mercenaries have been hired to provide a stop-gap measure. You are those mercenaries, members of the White Eagles.

Your squad of six, lead by the tactician Keira, has been tasked with finding a nearby Wain, or Wagon, and its compliment of soldiers, the Wainriders. Doubtless the nearby villagers will know where it was seen last, as they have been terrorized by it for many days. Ahead of you lies Ardaron, a village of perhaps fifty people. It seems a good enough place to start. There are no people in the street, but there are about twenty houses and shops along the main street.

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10813099#post10813099)

Umbranar
2011-04-19, 09:18 AM
Mondalar walks through the street, looking for any sign of life behind the windows of the buildings.

"The people must be hiding for something, lets see if we can find an inn of some sorts or the house of the village elder."

Perception: [roll0]

MKnight
2011-04-19, 12:33 PM
Aelar

Turning to Mondalar "I should think they were hiding considering the trouble they have been enduring. Perhaps they are not yet aware that we are here to help. Seeking the village elder is a fine suggestion. Which one of these buildings do you suppose that might be?"

Honikan
2011-04-19, 01:22 PM
Orassin stops and leans against a house, "Well, why don't we just try knocking on each door?" he puts out a fist, charges a little force into it and knocks hard on the door, almost slamming it open. "What? I didn't mean to open it that hard..."

Nixed
2011-04-19, 03:31 PM
A wry smile over at the mage. "Blasting open doors may not be the best way to announce our intentions to aid these people.."

Honikan
2011-04-19, 04:06 PM
Orassin

He smiles back, "I'll keep that in mind, can we at least look inside?" Orassin peers in, making sure to leave his staff outside so as not to frighten anyone even more. He confidently walks in, his white cloak following him. "I apologize about the door..."

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-19, 04:08 PM
Your instincts point to the house in the middle of the village, slightly larger than the rest, as the place to find those in power.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-19, 04:10 PM
The house you choose to break into has been ransacked. FUrniture has been broken and there are no valuables apparent. There are bloodstains on the floor.

Honikan
2011-04-19, 04:47 PM
Orassin

"You all might want to take a look at this." he warns, as he backs out the door. Orassin grabs his staff and tries to quikly remember some words of power in case of an unfortunate situation.

Umbranar
2011-04-19, 05:08 PM
Mondalar

"If i was planning to blast down doors without caution, i would have done it myself."

He takes a peek into the house, then continues to the larger building in the center.

Honikan
2011-04-19, 06:33 PM
Orassin

"That's it?" he says as Mondalar walks away.

"Some people are just stone faced. Can you believe him?" he mutters to Aerthic.

Orassin closes the door slowly and walks on behind the group, dropping his guard once again.

Umbranar
2011-04-19, 07:46 PM
Mondalar

Stops for a moment looking back at Orassin. "I share your concern, regarding the blood in that house. But sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice, i am sure the elders or mayors house would have more clues about what happened here, since he was the person of importance here."

He waits for responses and then continues for the house letting the warrior types take the lead.

Honikan
2011-04-19, 08:00 PM
Orassin

"Eh," he sighs, "yes, you are my superior and you know better." Orassin stays silent for a time, feeling a little put down.

Once arriving, Orassin pipes up, "Should I knock?"

Nixed
2011-04-19, 08:30 PM
Draws his blade, keeping it down at his side as they proceed. It may be that they find someone and get answers. It may also be whatever spilled the blood in the other house is still lurking. Stepping in front of the others he leads the way deeper into the village.

MKnight
2011-04-19, 10:01 PM
Aelar

Aelar has not seen much true combat and so he strides somewhat carefree in the middle of the group. Upon seeing the house though he is taken aback a bit. "What a horrendous sight" he says shaking his head.

With that sight in mind he discreetly readies an arrow and tightens his grip on his bow as they make their way to the house they believe is of someone of importance. "There are many questions here... hopefully we will soon get some answers." Along the way he keeps a watchful eye of the shadows and the windows and door ways of the houses they pass.

Perception check: [roll0]

Umbranar
2011-04-20, 05:06 AM
Mondalar

Mondalar look at Orassin, he isnt quite sure about being his superior. The two of them just seem to have a different source to pull their powers from. It is true that in the order he might have had a higher status but he left the order.

"I have shunned the order from my life, so we are equals within the White Eagles. But by all means, be my guest to knock. Lets do it the descent way first, if we get no reaction feel free to blast it open. In fact ill help if need be. Who can resist a display of fireworks from time to time."

Mondalar smiles at Orassin, they are both young and probably like to show their power from time to time.

Honikan
2011-04-20, 08:41 AM
Orassin

A wide grin appears on Orassin's face, "Same here," he raises his hand and knocks, waiting for an answer.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-20, 02:37 PM
There is no answer, though the door appears to be solidly locked.

Honikan
2011-04-20, 03:08 PM
Orassin

"I guess decent is overrated... Hmm?" Orassin raises his hand once again. He mutters a word and power and knocks, a small shock of lightning dispersing at contact. The force knocks the door off it's hinges. Orassin steps back to let someone else in first. "Who's first?"

Umbranar
2011-04-20, 04:40 PM
Mondalar

Mondalar has readied for this, if the door didnt buckle under the force of Orassin`s spell he fires a bolt of concentrated force at the door.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-20, 04:55 PM
Inside the house is a large common room. There are many tables, stairs leading up, and a door each to the right and left. There are a dozen people seated inside, all with their hands bound and throats cut.

Umbranar
2011-04-20, 05:09 PM
Mondalar

Mondalar looks around for candles or torches and lights them using tiny bits of his magic. He then looks around the room for clues.

"Seems like we found the worst of it. Lets start looking around, in pairs at least in case trouble is still around."

Perception [roll0]
Insight [roll1]
I continue to light every candle or torch with my cantrip. I also just the light cantrip on my staff and refresh it every 5 minutes.
If things need lifting ill use Mage Hand to do so.

Honikan
2011-04-20, 05:50 PM
Orassin

Orassin walks over to dead hostages, "May you rest with the gods." he says, as he closes their eyes.

PS. Umbranar: check what I said in my last OOC post. It will help you.

MKnight
2011-04-20, 07:37 PM
Aelar

Aelar is visually shaken. The killing of a foe in battle is one thing but to slaughter so many helpless people is unthinkable to him. He takes a moment to lean against a post and mentally catch his breath.

As Mondalar suggests looking around, Aelar snaps back to attention. "Yes. Lets keep moving. Perhaps we should all stick together. It seems we have several ways to proceed but I see no obvious choice which way should be first. Might I suggest going up the stairs then?"

Nixed
2011-04-20, 10:40 PM
The typically quiet soldier's expression gets grim as they locate the murdered villagers. Stepping over to one he attempts to determine how long they have been dead.


Guessing maybe heal check to see if the murder was recent?
[roll0]

oblivion6
2011-04-20, 11:06 PM
who could have done this keira mutters to herself this is murder

oblivion6
2011-04-20, 11:09 PM
your suggestion is sound Aelar. no matter what happens, stick together keira tells her squad

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-21, 06:51 AM
You search the area, and find that everything even remotely valuable has been stripped. There is evidence of gilding on some of the chairs that has been ripped away, and tan lines where rings used to be on the villager's dead hands. In one case a whole ring finger has been cut off.

The bodies appear to have been dead at least a day, but less than a few. It is hard to say, but they are stiff and have not yet begun to rot.

Umbranar
2011-04-21, 07:58 AM
Mondalar

Mondalar walks outside after they have searched the whole building. "Whoever did this is on the move again or maybe camping nearby. Lets see if we can find any tracks."

Outside he looks around for tracks, preferring those of a group.

Perception: 18 (Take 10 since there is no real pressure)

Honikan
2011-04-21, 03:35 PM
Orassin

Orassin follows Mondalar outside, "Maybe there in a trail. Possibly made by horses, or we could look to see how the carnage traced through the town. Either way, we should move swiftly, the Wain move faster than us; and until we can get horses, our travel shall be slow." Orassin calls into the house for the others to exit. "Do any of you know how we might get horses, the Wainriders seem to be long gone. It will take quite a long time to catch up to them."

Nixed
2011-04-21, 03:40 PM
Glances over at Orassin. "It appears the village has been fairly thoroughly ransacked. It would seem likely they took any livestock as well. It seems we'll be marching for now, if we can find trace of them at all."

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-21, 04:29 PM
If there were any tracks, time and your group wandering into the village have destroyed them.

Umbranar
2011-04-21, 06:23 PM
Mondalar

Mondalar looks frustrated. No tracks and no villagers to ask. Were on a dead end than. Maybe we should search the whole village. Unless someone remembers which general direction they went?

Using abit of magic Mondalar produces an image that looks like a map of the town and its surroundings, then he stares at it trying to figure out where to go.


Nature check to determine direction. We must have been notified about the general direction of the wainriders. Roll result 22, rolled in ooc thread.
Insight: 16 rolled in ooc thread.

Honikan
2011-04-21, 08:20 PM
Orassin

Orassin stands back, eyes closed, leaning on his staff. Small shocks of electricity are running through his hair as he searches for magical presences. Maybe there were mages with the Wainriders? Maybe Orassin's magic could feel where they went from the village when they were last here?

Arcana- (1d20+5)[22]
Insight- (1d20+7)[27]

MKnight
2011-04-21, 09:07 PM
Aelar

"I, too, will scout the area looking for tracks. Perhaps I can notice something you did not." With that Aelar begins his search for tracks around the village. Several times he thinks he finds something but they seem to end quickly. He doesn't give up though. I've got to find something to aid my companions. He thinks.

Nature check to search for tracks or other marks left by the wain: [roll0]

Umbranar
2011-04-22, 05:46 AM
Mondalar

Mondalar looks at Orassin and sees what hes doing. At that he follows his example, trying to find lingering magic thats not his. He closes his eyes for a moment and builds up a small magical field to detect other magics.


Arcane: [roll0]
Detect Magic


"Hmm i have a hard time focusing here, my own castings and yours are obscuring anything cast before we came." he says to Orassin.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-22, 07:24 AM
There is some form of lingering magic that leads towards the east. There is another village in that direction a few miles down the road.

Honikan
2011-04-22, 09:21 AM
Orassin

Out of a momentary silence, from the back of the group Orassin breaks it, "That way!" he points in a direction, "To the east, we must hurry." as he says this, his hair looses it's charge and falls back down. He stands up, grabbing his staff in a sweeping motion, and immediately starts walking off at brisk pace, not waiting for anyone. Just hoping they heard him.

MKnight
2011-04-22, 10:34 AM
Aelar

Aelar follows Orassin's lead. As the pace quickens he says "I am unfamiliar with this area. What lies to the East?"

Umbranar
2011-04-22, 12:14 PM
Mondalar

"Im not sure, maps reveal little. I think Orassin managed to pick up a trail of magic, let me try and confirm."

Arcane: [roll0] (little down the trail Orassin has discovered.)

Honikan
2011-04-22, 04:07 PM
Orassin

"Yes Mondalar, there is some lingering magic that trails directly towards the east. I know of a small town about a 20 minute walk from here if we keep a pace." Orassin doesn't turn around to say this, determined to get there before more carnage is wrought.

oblivion6
2011-04-22, 04:54 PM
"squad form up!! we march to the east" keira says to her squad

Honikan
2011-04-23, 05:16 PM
Orassin

After assuming formation, Orassin thinks for a moment, then walks up to Keira.
"I realize I was out of line earlier when I took a lead towards our next destination before clearing it with you. I don't have the kind of inspiration, power, or confidence to lead a group. But, I went on my instincts to do what I thought was right."
He offers a quick bow, as they are walking so swiftly.

oblivion6
2011-04-24, 03:59 AM
that is quite all right orassin. we are all equals. do not be afraid to speak your mind. keira replies to her companion.

MKnight
2011-04-24, 02:08 PM
Aelar

Aelar listens to his companions silently for a few moments then adds "We all have the same desire in mind. We want to protect the innocent of this world and defeat the looming threat. And as stated our first priority is to travel with haste to the next town in the hopes we can prevent the slaughter we just observed." He shakes his head and then becomes silent again.

Umbranar
2011-04-25, 05:07 AM
Mondalar

"I hope the next town has some sorts of a protection. Militia or something or a palisade. Either way we must hurry to catch up and stop this unnecessary violence."

Meanwhile Mondalar focuses on the trail of lingering magic.

Nixed
2011-04-25, 09:07 AM
"We should go." Moving to take his spot in the front of the group for the march towards the next town.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-28, 09:01 AM
The next small town comes into view, and it is panicked. Dozens of villagers are throwing things into wagons and hitching up horses. It is clear that they are all clearing out and in a hurry.

MKnight
2011-04-28, 11:22 AM
Aelar

"Something is happening in the village. Let us be quick." And with that Aelar sprint towards the town with his senses heighted.

Perception check: [roll0]

Nixed
2011-04-28, 12:46 PM
Hurries after the elf, though not quite at the same rate. Sprinting in plate armor is not a recipe for high battle effectiveness.

Honikan
2011-04-28, 03:29 PM
Orassin

Orassin takes off, following Aelar. Each step he takes emints small cracks of thunder as he accelerates past the heavily armored warrior.

oblivion6
2011-04-28, 05:05 PM
keira sprints off after her squad.


ooc
ooc:does there appear to be a militia or any sort of leadership?

Umbranar
2011-05-01, 05:38 AM
Mondalar

Mondalar runs after the rest but keeps the same pace as his armored compagnion, staying close to his side.

tigerusthegreat
2011-05-03, 11:49 AM
It is hard to get some of the people to stop to talk to you, but it is clear that the Wainriders have been spotted, and they are heading for town.

Nixed
2011-05-03, 11:58 AM
Entering the panicked village, and hearing the news of their query drawing close he looks to his companions. "We need to get eyes on the incoming force. If we have time to clear out the civilians we could lie in wait and ambush the raiders. If they're too close we will need to move out to engage them to try and buy these people time to flee."

MKnight
2011-05-03, 03:39 PM
Aelar

"I'll try to get a better vantage point to see the Wain and determine how much time we have." Aelar moves swiftly to find the spotters of the village and to survey the situation for himself.

Perception check: [roll0]

Honikan
2011-05-03, 05:35 PM
Orassin

Orassin runs over to assist the towns people, helping them put their things in the carts, directing people, and all the time watching his companions for signals. Once the fighting starts, these people have to be out of here, or even we might not be able to defeat them.

Umbranar
2011-05-05, 07:05 AM
Mondalar

"Ill go to the scouts aswell, if they are coming ill signal you with my magic...you will know it when you see it." He then runs after Aelar.

tigerusthegreat
2011-05-06, 12:10 AM
Aelar spots something on the road about a mile away. It seems like a very large wagon, surrounded by men. You cannot tell what they are doing, but they are not moving towards the village yet.

About half the villagers have left the village.

MKnight
2011-05-06, 06:53 AM
Aelar

Aelar sees Mondalar approach. "Mondalar. It seems there is a wagon some distance...perhaps a mile down the road. They do not appear to be moving towards us but there is a grouping of men around it. They could be building their forces for an attack on the village. We should tell keira and the others."

Honikan
2011-05-06, 07:08 AM
Orassin

Orassin hurries to get the civilians onto their horses and carts. He calls up to Aelar, "How long do we have? I don't think I can get them all out in time." he continues pushing people along.

Nixed
2011-05-06, 08:22 AM
Makes his way into the crowd as well, attempting to find someone in charge, and baring that maintain some sort of order. He may be the same rank as his companions, but there's something about a full suit of plate armor that gives an air of authority. All the while attempting to figure out the layout of the village and find it's more defensible points.

MKnight
2011-05-06, 12:53 PM
Aelar

Calling down to Orassin "It is difficult to say how long we have. The group doesn't appear to be moving. For the moment we are lucky that we have time to help the townspeople leave.... but that luck may change quickly if they are merely waiting to build their forces."

Aelar continues to keep watch and will update the group should the situation change.

oblivion6
2011-05-06, 08:31 PM
keira moves to see what her comrades have found

Umbranar
2011-05-08, 06:04 AM
Mondalar tries to spot the wagon aswell and also tries to count the number of persons.

[roll0]

"They are to far away for my magic to be of any use, but if they come in close formation they are in for a suprice."

tigerusthegreat
2011-05-13, 08:24 AM
I really hate doing this, but I have to discontinue this adventure. My work load (and now school load as I am having to take a summer course) is severely limiting my online time. I am sorry to do this to you guys.