PDA

View Full Version : has anyone created Cherubael?

big teej
2011-04-20, 10:15 AM
greetings playgrounders,

my players have managed to become enemies on a first name basis with one of the Kings of Hell.

he has tasked one of his minions, Cherubael. to destroy them.

Cherubael is a Daemonhost I shamelessly stole from Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn novels.

I am curious.
have any of you homebrewed this being? do you have any tips for doing so?
is there any way we can peg his CR/abilities to be beatable somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 (a CR 10 version and a CR 15 version would be awesome)

thanks in advance playgrounders.

tzaan
2011-04-20, 03:31 PM
irrelevant point seeing as how you've only stolen the idea for a character + his name, but wasn't Cherubael vastly more powerful than Eisenhorn and his entire crew? He could only be dealt with via his specific weaknesses (bog standard D&D devil/demon metal weakness)

I'd suggest making him a terrifying encounter but give the PCs access to some rituals to weaken and/or bind him (going from CR 20 to your requisite 10-15). Perhaps a "One-Quest-Only" artifact type weapon that gets destroyed in the final battle? Another daemonhost they've bound and trapped to fight for them specifically for Cherubael?

Have a gander at the Fiendish Codexes- demons of corruption and whatnot. Perhaps a glabrezu with psionics instead of magic? It'd match the general fluff of the ol' Cherub of Bael

I remember Eberron has rules for possession that also appear in the Fiendish Codexes if memory serves. Demon in the skin of a man, can use all the demon's powers etc etc but can be banished from the host

I dunno, hope the ramble helps

big teej
2011-04-20, 04:14 PM
irrelevant point seeing as how you've only stolen the idea for a character + his name, but wasn't Cherubael vastly more powerful than Eisenhorn and his entire crew? He could only be dealt with via his specific weaknesses (bog standard D&D devil/demon metal weakness)

I'd suggest making him a terrifying encounter but give the PCs access to some rituals to weaken and/or bind him (going from CR 20 to your requisite 10-15). Perhaps a "One-Quest-Only" artifact type weapon that gets destroyed in the final battle? Another daemonhost they've bound and trapped to fight for them specifically for Cherubael?

Have a gander at the Fiendish Codexes- demons of corruption and whatnot. Perhaps a glabrezu with psionics instead of magic? It'd match the general fluff of the ol' Cherub of Bael

I remember Eberron has rules for possession that also appear in the Fiendish Codexes if memory serves. Demon in the skin of a man, can use all the demon's powers etc etc but can be banished from the host

I dunno, hope the ramble helps

helpful indeed, the psionic daemon idea had not occured to me. however I lack the fiend folios/codecies

and yes, he was worlds away in power from the Inquisitor's power (up until he learned the binding rituals required.)

in regards to a pskyer-daemon...
should I simply replace it's magical abilities? or start giving it levels of psion?

I was thinking about using the posession rules from BOVD as a base.
but I think I might like this idea better.

perhaps a psion 'possessed' by a daemon of appropriate power?
Cherubael's boss is meant to be the end of the campaign encounter CR 20 along with minions

but that's for another post in the future.

SlashRunner
2011-04-20, 04:54 PM
Cherubael destroyed a Titan. I think that he'll be pretty difficult to make CR 15 unless you exaggerate his weaknesses immensely.

big teej
2011-04-20, 05:16 PM
I haven't read the third eisenhorn book recently, but I seem to recall that cherubael was 'unbound' when Eisenhorn sicced him on the titan.

I even think Eisenhorn expressely stated "he was far more powerful than phyisically/psychically possible when bound to a host"

I'm throwing the "bound" version into the mix, so he is 'limited' by his flesh.

hence placing him within the actual realms of possibility, unstead of making HIM the CR 20 end game, and his boss an epic challenge.