PDA

View Full Version : Ambuscade 3.5 Base class

Corsair420
2011-04-21, 02:15 PM
So, I'm building a base class, I call it the Ambuscade(name subject to change). He's kind of a mixture between a rogue, a ninja and an acrobat (yes they are all kinda similar). this is taking some of the features from all of these and some features from other classes i've come across. Thought i'd post what I have so far here and get some comments and opinions from anyone willing. Please try to keep it constructive. This is what I have so far;

Ambuscade

Abilities: Dexterity provides protection for the Ambuscade. Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom are important for a majority of the Ambuscade's skills. A high Strength will help the Ambuscade, on Jump, Climb and Swim checks. A high Intelligence will give more skill points. A high Wisdom will allow the Ambuscade to use his abilities more times per day

Alignment: Any non-good
Race: Any
Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope

Skill points at first level: (6 + Int mod) x 4
Skill points at each addtional: 6 + Int mod

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: The Ambuscade is proficient with all simple weapons as well as the Handaxe, Kukri, Rapier and Scimitar. They are proficient with Light armor but not shields.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Abilities
1 | +0 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Sudden Strike +1d6, AC Bonus
2 | +1 | +0 | +3 | +0 | Evasion, Ghost Step
3 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | Sudden Strike +2d6, Ambuscade +3
4 | +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement(+10ft)
5 | +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Sudden Strike +3d6, Leap of the Clouds
6 | +4 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Uncanny Step, Ambuscade +6
7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Sudden Strike +4d6, Spring Attack
8 | +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +2 | Improved Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement(+20ft)
9 | +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +3 | Sudden Strike +5d6, Ambuscade +9
10 | +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Ghost Rush, Ghost Strike
11 | +8/+3 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Sudden Strike +6d6
12 | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Ambuscade +12, Fast Movement (+30ft)
13 | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Sudden Strike +7d6 Improved Evasion
14 | +10/+5 | +4 | +9 | +4 | Perfect Landing
15 | +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +9 | +5 | Sudden Strike +8d6, Ambuscade +15
16 | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Hide in Plain Sight, Fast Movement(+40ft)
17 | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Sudden Strike +9d6
18 | +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Ambuscade +18
19 | +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Sudden Strike +10d6
20 | +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +6 | Fast Movement(+50ft)
[/table]

Special Abilities:

Sudden Strike: If an Ambuscade can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from an attack he can strike vital areas for extra damage. Any time an opponent would be denied their dexterity bonus to AC this damage is applied. Only weapon damage is multiplied on a successful critical hit, not the Sudden Strike damage

Ranged attack can count as Sudden Strikes only if the target is within 30 feet.

Sudden Strike only works on living creatures with discernible anatomies. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants and incorporeal creatures cannot be effected by Sudden Strike as they lack vital areas(the exception to this rule is using the Ambuscades Ghost Strike ability to attack an incorporeal creature)

AC Bonus: An Ambuscade is extraordinarily dexterous when Unarmored and unencumbered. The Ambuscade is able to add his Dexterity modifier and a half to their AC when unarmored and unencumbered, for example: if your dexterity is an 18(a modifier of +4) your AC bonus from dexterity would be +6 instead of the normal +4. This bonus is also lost any time you would otherwise be denied your dexterity bonus to your AC.

Evasion: At 2nd level and higher, an Ambuscade can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex save against attacks that normally deal half damage on a successful save(Such as the Fireball spell), he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ambuscade is wearing light or no armor. A helpless Ambuscade (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) doesn't not benefit from evasion.

Ghost step: Ghost Step allows the Ambuscade to turn invisible for 1 round. Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. An Ambuscade is able to use this ability 2 time per day Plus his Wisdom modifier(minimum 1)

Ambuscade: This ability gives an Ambuscade a +3 bonus to Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Move silently and Tumble checks. This bonus increases by +3, every 3 levels(+3 at level 1, +6 at level 6, +9 at level 9 and so on).

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 4th level an Ambuscade can react to danfer before her senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC(if any) even if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. He still loses this bonus if immobilized.

If the Ambuscade already has uncanny dodge from another class, he automatically gains Improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Fast Movement: Starting at 4th level an Ambuscade benefits from an enhancement bonus to his base land speed. This bonus starts at +10 feet at 4th level and increases by +10 every 4 levels after (+20 at 8th, +30 at 12th and so on up to +50 at 20th level. This Bonus is lost if the Ambuscade wears armor heavier then Light or while carrying a medium or heavy load.

Leap of the Clouds: At 5th level an Ambuscades jumping distance(vertical or horizontal) is no longer limited according to the characters height

Uncanny Step: On reaching 6th level an Ambuscade can take part of his move actions on a wall or other vertical surface so long as the movement begins and ends on a horizontal surface. If movement is ended before reaching a horizontal surface the Ambuscade falls, taking appropriate damage.

Treat Vertical surfaces as normal floor for the purposes of calculating distance. Passing the boundary from vertical to horizontal is equivalent to 5 feet of movement on normal floor. Opponents still get attacks of opportunity if the Ambuscade passes through their threat range. An Ambuscade can take other move actions in conjunction with uncanny step, such the Spring Attack feat, and the Tumble and Jump skills.

For instance, Kangling the ambuscade has a base land speed of 40 feet. she begins her action with her back to a wall facing some enemies who guard the building across the street. Kangling turns, runs up the wall for 10 feet, and then leaps 15 feet across the street(using the Jump skill and the Leap of the clouds ability) to land on the wall of the building the men were guarding, she then moves 5 feet to an open window and ends her movement on a horizontal surface by stepping through the window.

Spring Attack: At 7th level an Ambuscade gains the benefits of the Spring Attack feat even if he doesn't have the prerequisites.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 8th level or higher an Ambuscade can no longer be flanked; he can react to danger on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single opponent. This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least 4 more levels of rogue then the target does.

If the character already has uncanny dodge from another class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character

Ghost Rush: Upon reaching 10th level an Ambuscade gains the use of the Ghost Rush ability 3 times per day. This ability allows the Ambuscade to charge an opponent using a special form of ethereal jaunt. Using this ability causes you to jaunt forward 10 feet at a time, each time in a different place in a 10ft wide line towards the enemy, you must end the charge in the closest square to the enemy as with a normal charge attack. This ability can be used in conjunction with Leap of the clouds and Uncanny step, allowing you to walk along walls and jump from place to place on the way to your target.

If the attack succeeds you catch your opponent off guard and are able to apply your Sudden Strike to the damage roll. If you miss the attack the use of the ability is wasted. If the target can see ethereal creatures whether through the True Seeing spell or some other means they are not caught flat-footed and they retain their Dexterity bonus to their AC.

Ghost Strike: Ghost strike allows the Ambuscade to strike incorporeal targets for up to 2 rounds per day plus his Wisdom modifier(minimum 1). This allows him to make a full attack in a round where he uses Ghost Strike. This ability allows the Ambuscade to apply his Sudden Strike to damage rolls made against incorporeal creatures any time they are denied their dexterity bonus to their AC

Improved Evasion: Improved evasion works like evasion except that even on a failed reflex save the Ambuscade takes only half damage from spells and effects that allow a reflex save for half damage. A successful save still lets the Ambuscade take no damage.

Perfect Landing: When the Ambuscade needs to make a quick escape, he doesn't always have time to take the stairs. Perfect landing allows the Ambuscade to leap from higher heights and take no damage from the fall. The ambuscade makes a jump check vs the distance he falls, if he succeeds he takes no damage, on a failed save damage is taken normally and the Ambuscade falls prone

Hide in Plain sight: At 16th level an Ambuscade is able to use to his hide skill even while being observed

---

As you can see, hes not finished yet, i'm having issues trying to think of what abilities to give him to finish off the last few levels, i'm open to changing abilities or adding or removing some should the need arise.

I also made a prestige class I call the Shock Archer, its a ranger or fighter build focusing on using a bow to inflict more damage using lightning, if yall are interesting I can post him.

Mayhem
2011-04-21, 04:03 PM
Interesting. Here you go:

{table=head]an orc has| a pie | i like pie
you can kill the orc! | you can take his pie! | perhaps there is a secret[br] orc bakery making these things!
[/table]

{table=head]an orc has| a pie | i like pie
you can kill the orc! | you can take his pie! | perhaps there is a secret[br] orc bakery making these things!
[/table]

The skills stay as even numbers, so keep it to 6 or 8.

You've got a few abilities that rely on wisdom, so how about for AC bonus just give them their wis instead of half dexterity?

Other than that, seems like a reasonable class :smallwink:

Oh yeah, try and add some highlights would you kindly? Bold the ability names in the description of class abilities, etc.

Corsair420
2011-04-21, 04:22 PM
yea that table confused me, dunno why you put it there.

As for the AC bonus, i didn't want to use wisdom because i wanted to be different from the monk and the ninja. and the class gets dex and a half, which really scales almost as well as wisdom.

for skill points there is nothing that says it has to be evens and i wanted it to have less skills then the rogue but more then the ninja, so I went with 7, it may only be for skill points at level but that's the difference between 1 maxed skill or not.

I'll add some highlights when i have a little more time to actually fiddle with it, i just copy and pasted from note pad so i screwed some of the stuff up

Sypher667
2011-04-21, 04:36 PM
He posted the table so that you would have an idea of how to format yours. As is, it's difficult to read. Also, as said before me, bolding ability names and other highlights would make this class easier to look at and read as well.

Corsair420
2011-04-21, 05:54 PM
yea, now that i had time to sit and actually do it that looks WAY better, thank you.

after consulting the comments on the EN world forum as well, i'll be lowering the skills to probably 5, 6 if you can give a good reason to keep with the even numbers for skills

Elfstone
2011-04-21, 06:49 PM
Having odd skills is challenging every. Single. Other. WotC class. Ever. So you better have an amazing explenation for why you are going against the unwritten rule of tradition. Also, Id consider giving the class pounce, as the BAB is mediocure.

Corsair420
2011-04-21, 07:17 PM
Having odd skills is challenging every. Single. Other. WotC class. Ever. So you better have an amazing explenation for why you are going against the unwritten rule of tradition. Also, Id consider giving the class pounce, as the BAB is mediocure.

because i'm a rebel? honestly it was because i wanted more skills then the ninja but less then the rogue, the only option was 7 since the ninja gets 6 and the rogue gets 8, but after comparing it with the bonuses of ambuscade, i'll be lowering it to at least 6, and after doing some calculating later tonight it might even go down to 4 but probably not, he will need lots of skill points to be able to keep boosting all the skills he would NEED to use.

also i'm not familiar with pounce, whats it do

Welknair
2011-04-21, 07:38 PM
also i'm not familiar with pounce, whats it do

Let me Google that for you. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Pounce+D%26D)

Elfstone
2011-04-21, 07:54 PM
Thats... Not a great reason. But what ever. And yes thats pounce.

Welknair
2011-04-21, 11:27 PM
Thats... Not a great reason. But what ever. And yes thats pounce.

I had a friend who made a base class with a 12/20 BAB.

"No. You can't DO that!"

There are some rules that are never stated but always followed. Such as even skills, BABs that are 1/2, 3/4, or 1/1 and not using physical ability scores for casting. That's just how things work.

I agree that the skills should be changed. In my opinion, 6 seems decent for this class.

Eldan
2011-04-22, 05:24 AM
So, is it just me or does this class get everything worthwhile the rogue gets, plus half the things of two other classes? Why should anyone ever take a rogue again if this class exists?

Corsair420
2011-04-22, 07:47 AM
ok, some notable changes today, I changed Sneak attack to Sudden strike, I added weapon and armor proficiencies, and I defined some of the abilities a little better then they were before, like Ghost strike, Ghost rush, and Fast movement. and for those that care, I corrected a few typos that I caught

I also edited the skill points down to 6 for now