PDA

View Full Version : Polozius and Z

Saeyan
2011-04-27, 11:36 PM
No divider, better hair etc.: See post 15

Eh, just a little random stuff. #789 was great, can't wait for the next one.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/krysjez/pz.jpg

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-04-28, 11:00 AM
Oooh pretty!

This is very nice, I like the colours and shading and brushwork. What software do you use? Photoshop? GIMP? Open Canvas? Other?

Also you seem to have been the quickest with the Zz'dtri is Polozius fanart: I was thinking of doing a pony for the OotS pony collection on that theme after reading 789 but I was too lazy/busy. :smalltongue:

Dvandemon
2011-04-28, 11:02 AM
Awesome too smiley/Good axis looking

Ninjaman
2011-04-28, 01:50 PM
Cool, i think it would however be even cooler if you removed the line and made a gradiant transformation.

Dvandemon
2011-04-28, 02:05 PM
It appears that to do that, she just has to remove the line

TheSummoner
2011-04-28, 02:45 PM
Ya know... I agree with Ninjaman... So long as it isn't too trouble, could you let us see it without the black line?

Even as is, it is a very nice drawing. Good job ^_^.

Saeyan
2011-04-28, 09:05 PM
OK, without the line, further revealing my failure at symmetry:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/krysjez/pz2.jpg

What software do you use?
This was done in school during my lunch break, so I had to use what they had which is Photoshop CS4 (terrible brush lag, has put me off upgrading) and Wacom Intuos3. The colors may be a bit wonky because the monitor is not properly calibrated. I normally use Photoshop CS3 with an Intuos4.

I believe SAI would give a smoother effect with the blending. If I had it, I'd use it to do the initial color laydown before moving on to Photoshop for details.

OotS pony collection on that theme
I evidently haven't been here in a while - what's with the ponies everywhere?

too smiley/Good axis looking
Slightly fixed on Z's side.

scienceguy8
2011-04-28, 11:19 PM
I evidently haven't been here in a while - what's with the ponies everywhere?

Some children's cartoon that seems to be resonating with the forum members.

By the way, great job with this.

Ninjaman
2011-04-28, 11:55 PM
Thatīs even more awesome.

Dvandemon
2011-04-28, 11:57 PM
Well, since it's a spell being dismissed, it doesn't have to be completely symmetrical. It can actually add to the effect
Slightly fixed on Z's side.

Oh gods, he looks ready to kill me :smalleek::smallwink:

TheSummoner
2011-04-29, 09:25 PM
Eh, the only part that looks odd to me is where the hair changes... Everything else seems blended fairly well... Transitioning from the Polozius disguise to Zz'dtri's true appearance... But the hair is a bit more... Abrupt is a good word for it I suppose.

Also the Polozius eye looks a bit weird to me... More slanted and narrow than the Zz'dtri eye. If they were both that way it probably wouldn't stick out though...

Know that I still think you did a great job. These criticisms are minor and meant to help you improve in the future, not at all a shot against you ^_^.

Ajadea
2011-04-29, 09:38 PM
Minor criticism: the nose looks a bit bulbous, perhaps, for an elf. It's really great though.

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-04-29, 09:57 PM
Some children's cartoon that seems to be resonating with the forum members.

By the way, great job with this.

:smallredface:
If I hadn't been posting so late at night I probably wouldn't have mentioned the P word. One reason there are so many of them floating about the forum is that there was an avatar theme week on them which only attracted more people to the thread in the Arts and Crafts section devoted to ponytars somebody compiled a banner of contributions to the thread around the time of "Pony Week" which had featured 130+ of the things. :smalleek:
I have mixed feelings on it myself, I like making stuff and they're cute but I get why so many people are bored stiff of them too.

Buuut, that's kind of a tangent. :smallredface:

Eh, the only part that looks odd to me is where the hair changes... Everything else seems blended fairly well... Transitioning from the Polozius disguise to Zz'dtri's true appearance... But the hair is a bit more... Abrupt is a good word for it I suppose.

Also the Polozius eye looks a bit weird to me... More slanted and narrow than the Zz'dtri eye. If they were both that way it probably wouldn't stick out though...

Know that I still think you did a great job. These criticisms are minor and meant to help you improve in the future, not at all a shot against you ^_^.

I did notice Polozius' eye looks different in shape and angle to Zz'dtri's and a couple of other similar discrepencies but personally that made me like the piece more: it shows that Saeyan almost definately drew both sides of the face from scratch instead of a simple copy paste and flip job. Furthermore, real faces are usually at least slightly asymmetrical and I think the slightly different look to the faces heightens the effect since Polozius and Zz'dtri are members of different races of elf and thus if the disguise was truly convincing the features probably would have slight but noticable differences in shape and not just a palette swap. No idea if that was a deliberate aim when the picture was being made but I like to attribute superfluous "meaning" to stuff...
I also like art to include imperfections. Speaking of which: am I the only one seeing a vertical trio of faint grey rings on P's cheek kind of in line with the eye? If not, what is that?

I like the little traces of green around P's eye too: eyeshadow or a biological pigment like the hair I wonder? Or it could just be a lighting thing I guess. I prefer the P side to the Z side though. Z looks a little flat/ less lifelike in comparison. I'd imagine getting a grey skin tone to look life like would be tricky though.

Have to agree on the transition effect falling a little flat on the hairline though.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-29, 10:09 PM
Okay, this is freaking awesome.

Saeyan
2011-05-01, 08:17 AM
I guess this is the RC version of this drawing then:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/krysjez/pz3.jpg

But the hair is a bit more... Abrupt is a good word for it I suppose.

Have to agree on the transition effect falling a little flat on the hairline though.
That is true. Hopefully it's a little better now.

These criticisms are minor and meant to help you improve in the future, not at all a shot against you ^_^.
Not at all. I'm really glad you took the time to point them out.

Saeyan almost definately drew both sides of the face from scratch instead of a simple copy paste and flip job.
Yes, that's true. I tried flipping but I didn't like the look of it. Too bland.

(on shape of eyes) No idea if that was a deliberate aim when the picture was being made but I like to attribute superfluous "meaning" to stuff...
Superfluous but at least it taught me a bit more about D&D :smallsmile: I have next to no knowledge of the game actually!

am I the only one seeing a vertical trio of faint grey rings on P's cheek kind of in line with the eye? If not, what is that?
It's not just you. I think it's an accidental series of brushstrokes. Painted over it now.

I like the little traces of green around P's eye too: eyeshadow or a biological pigment like the hair I wonder?
It's not really anything, just a series of blue-shifted pixels. P's coming for you...

Minor criticism: the nose looks a bit bulbous, perhaps, for an elf. It's really great though.
I gave Z some rhinoplasty, though I'm not really sure about how to un-bulb noses...

Themrys
2011-05-01, 12:54 PM
If (dark) elves are this cute, I'm very, very happy indeed I don't have to fight them. :smalleek:
It is so hard to destroy something so beautiful.

super dark33
2011-05-01, 01:19 PM
I spy small S's near the neck!

TheSummoner
2011-05-01, 03:23 PM
Yeah, theres a S on both sides near the neck. I just assumed it was a bit of a signature (S is for Saeyan!) and didn't think it was anything that needed commenting on.

It looks much better now that you've fixed the hairline. Also, I consider it a GOOD thing you took the time to draw each side instead of just drawing half and flipping it.

leakingpen
2011-05-02, 11:26 AM
Well, since it's a spell being dismissed, it doesn't have to be completely symmetrical. It can actually add to the effect

Oh gods, he looks ready to kill me :smalleek::smallwink:

That was my thought as well, I would expect it to be asymetrical, as there SHOULD, in my mind, be facial differences in the spell, if it was simply a coloring change, people will be able to see through that.