PDA

View Full Version : Cadbury rabbits. :-)

Thugorp
2011-04-29, 05:14 AM
Disclaimer: This is an update of drawingfreak's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=25591) work, which to make I used yet another person's work.(I would not have done this had I just been able to quote the original file in the first place but the mods. seem quite hell bent on making sure this sights resources are hard to access... on the other hand I probably wouldn't have fixed the math in that case so... meh).

__________________________________________________ _______________

The Rabbits of Cadburry

Size/Type: Diminutive Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d10+1 (6 hp)
Speed: 10ft. (2 squares)
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 16, ff 14
B.A.B./Grap. +1/-16
Attack: Claw +3 melee (1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +3 melee (1) and bite -2 melee (1d3-5+1(bucktooth))
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0
S.A.: Bucktooth, Pounce, Rake(2claws)
S.Q.: Darkvision 60ft., Low-light vision, Magic Egg Laying
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will -4
Abilities: STR 1, DEX 15, CON 12, INT 2, WIS 3, CHA 14
Skills: Jump -1 (+3 to Jump check made after a running start), Survival +4 (natural habitat only)
Feats: Run, weapon finesse(B)
Environment: Elemental Plane of Candy
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Family(2 + 2-8 babeis)
C.R.: 1
Treasure: see Candy Egg Laying notes
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Diminutive), 5-8 (Tiny)
L.A.: -

Cadbury Rabbits
Cadbury Rabbits cluck like chickens. This is often an unexpected, and unusual, surprise for those not native to the Elemental Plane of Candy.

Combat:

Bucktooth (Ex): Cadbury Rabbits deal one extra damage with their bite attacks due to the large size of there top front teeth.

Pounce (Ex): When a Cadbury Rabbit makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability. However a Cadbury Rabbit may not use its Bite as part of a pounce attack.

Rake (Ex): Cadbury Rabbits gain extra natural attacks when involved in a grapple. Normally, a monster can attack with only one of its natural weapons while grappling, but Cadbury Rabbits gain two additional claw attacks that it can use only against a grappled foe. Rake attacks are not subject to the usual -4 penalty for attacking with a natural weapon in a grapple. In addition, if a Cadbury Rabbit charges a foe it may attempt to deal rake damage to that foe as part of the charge attack.

Skills: Rabbits have a +8 racial bonus to Survive in their natural habitat. If you have the Run feat, you get a +4 bonus on Jump checks for any jumps made after a running start.

Candy Egg Laying
These rabbits lay eggs as chickens do, except that their eggs have a hard chocolate shell, and the yoke inside is a delicious creamy confection. These eggs are completely edible (except when they are fertilized), and are quite delicious. A female Cadbury Rabbit can be expected to lay 1d3 eggs/day assuming they have spent at least 12 hours around either a male rabbit or a rooster within the last 7 days. All Cadbury Rabbits(male or female) will also lay one final candy egg just before death, regardless of the cause of death.

These eggs are prized as rare delicacies by the upper-classes on the various planes, where Cadbury Bunnies are not common. The average market price for one of these eggs is around 5gp.

Cadbury Rabbits as familiars:

Cadbury Rabbits can be taken as familiars by casters, or manifesters who take the Obtain Familiar feat.

They grant their master a +5 (+10) feet base speed.

Blynkibrax
2011-04-29, 02:01 PM
The typo in the title of this thread is quite unfortunate. I read it as Cadbury rapists.

Eloel
2011-04-29, 02:05 PM
The typo in the title of this thread is quite unfortunate. I read it as Cadbury rapists.
So I'm not the only one? Phew.

Thugorp
2011-04-29, 02:09 PM
O.K. sorry about that guys, FIXED now. :- z ... sorry bout that.

I was really tired when I titled it last night!

:-)

Bhu
2011-04-29, 05:11 PM
Me likeeb :smallcool:

Thugorp
2011-04-30, 02:07 AM
What...???

Bhu
2011-04-30, 03:45 PM
i meant i like this, twas a funny idea

Debihuman
2011-04-30, 03:49 PM
I recommend changing Magic Egg Laying to Candy Egg Laying as the eggs themselves aren't magical but are made of candy.

Also, shouldn't rabbits have a claw attack instead of a slam attack? It should have 2 claw attacks under Full Attack. Secondary attacks are always secondary even when used as a primary attack. Bite should be at -5 to attack. The strength penalty on bite makes damage on it (1) as well. 1d2-5 can only be a 1.

I'd increase the speed to 30 feet and give it Jump as a skill. You could give it Alertness as a bonus feat too.

Debby

Thugorp
2011-04-30, 04:23 PM
Done, eccept for the claw thing, because I don't really think that rabbits have claws.

A question, originally these guys had a, "Good," alignment. Does anyone think I should put that back? what about if they are a familiar? should they have to be of good alignment if they gain an intelegence score for any reason including that one?

Debihuman
2011-05-01, 08:49 AM
Rabbits have claws, sharp ones. Trust me.
My neighbor's rabbit clawed my face when I was a teenager. I was rabbit-sitting while they were away on vacation and was in the process of feeding it when my beagle got wind of it (she was on the other side of the fence luckily), and started barking. The rabbit promptly launched out of the hutch and slammed feet first onto my face, leaving me with lovely claw marks on both cheeks, as it dropped unscathed to the ground.

The chase lasted about a minute as the dog and rabbit ran back and forth with the fence between them. I managed to grab the rabbit when it headed back in my directions to avoid the dog (even though the dog was on the other side of the fence and couldn't get to it). I caught the rabbit around the middle and turned it over on its back so those kicking feet were well from my face. Then I shoved it back inside its hutch.

After the rabbit was confined, I grabbed the dog and returned to my house to see how bad my face looked. I had little streams of blood flowing down both sides of my face. The wounds were superficial, but I looked a fright for a few days. After that, I wore my dad's work gloves when feeding the rabbit and made sure the dog was locked up at home.
Debby

Thugorp
2011-05-02, 04:15 PM
oh I see I suppose I should edit it back then. Did it cut you with it's front or back paws? is 1 damage apropriate?

Tormented
2011-05-02, 04:27 PM
This is a cute funny idea. And ouch to the rabbit story.

Thugorp
2011-05-02, 04:44 PM
Thank you very much but please remember(as the disclamer says) this is NOT my idea! :-D

Debihuman
2011-05-02, 06:02 PM
You should probably move the disclaimer to the top as people tend to attribute authorship with entry. You should credit the original author too. Giving a link to the original work is nice too or at least mention the website.

Debby

Thugorp
2011-05-05, 04:59 PM
I made many of those changes you suggested, however, I think your math may have been a little off for a couple of them(so that is why the math may be a bit different). There is one thing, I found some footage of actual rabbits fighting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk28__1LnZs) and I was thinking maybe it should be 2claws or a bite attack? what do you think.

also, what do you think of what I did with pounce / rake? I don't think I have ever seen a creature with the variation of the ability that I added there. Is it legal?

Any other thoughts/concerns?

Ummm... ya, as for the attribution the web-sight the Cadbury Rabbit comes form is this web-sight... this forum... this section of the forum actually... It was just locked by the mods... I don't know why, I would have been happy to just quote the original stats but because it was locked I was unable to do that... I am not happy about this as it is a CONSTANTLY reoccurring problem whenever I try to home-brew something. If I have an idea in my head and then I remember that once upon a time I saw something similar to what I want, or an ability I could incorporate, I used to be able to just go back and quote it directly... now... now I have to pretty much re-wright it from scratch... very annoying any way.(but yes I should eventually link it or something... actually I probably wont do that, I will probably eventually put the O.P.'s name in the disclaimer, but since locking a thread mean that no one can increase it's placement in the forum the link would eventually die and just add clutter to this post(I HATE dead links), so... unless the original was for some reason unlocked so that it could be occasionally saved from archiving I will not be linking to it. :-)... I hope that is o.k.

Debihuman
2011-05-05, 10:13 PM
Apparently I have pretty good google-fu. The original text can be found here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3706042&postcount=46 and the author is drawingfreak. That's how you cite to the original text. Both of you misspelled "Cadbury" as "Cadburry". Made it easier to find that way.

Rabbits can attack with a rake (rear claws). They can bite and use both front claws if they choose.

Is there an Obtain Familiar feat? I know there is an Improved Familiar feat. Even if there is, I'm not sure you should get a Cadbury rabbit as a standard familiar. It should be an Improved Familiar (available at 3rd level) since it is a magical beast to start.

Somehow, allowing a male rabbit to lay an egg (even it is a matter of death) is a bit strange.

The Rake attack is missing how much damage it does.

Debby

Thugorp
2011-05-06, 01:23 AM
ummm..., I will add his name.

I am not sure, I looked at a few vids of bunnies fighting and it seemed like they never used their teeth... I don't know if it should be in there pounce. As for the rake, I didn't include damage because according to the SRD rake is a special ability that allows a rabbit to make extra claw attacks under certain specific circumstances, not an actual attack itself(I was surprised as well, but the text I have for pounce and rake are actually pretty much direct quotes form the SRD, I just replaced, "the creature," with, "Cadbury Rabbits."

There is an obtain familiar feat. I have actually thought about whether Cadbury Rabbits(Is Cadbury spelled Cadburry? I have been erasing the extra, "Rs," from the word every time I have written it.?) should be an improved familiar or not. I think I have decided against because it has absolutaly NO combat advantage over say.... a cat... infact it is not quite as good as a cat.

The egg... Ya, I added that back in because I thought I maybe should keep something from the original ability. Pluss I thought at least that way there was something special about the male rabbits... To wierd?

Debihuman
2011-05-06, 09:08 AM
The bunnies fighting for dominance didn't use their teeth. Biting is for survival fighting as when facing down an attacking animal. Also, all the jumping could be a mating dance. More serious fighting probably isn't suitable for YouTube as it would make small children cry.

It is spelled with one "r". Cadbury is correct. The name is from John Cadbury.

It should be the Improved Familiar feat because it is a Magical Beast and you can only summon a normal Animal with Obtain Familiar (feat is from Complete Adventurer).

You still need to list the rake damage in the stat block. See monster entries for how this is done in the SRD. The sphinx entry is especially good for showing this since it uses pounce for the rake.

Rake (Ex):A sphinx that pounces onto a creature can make two rake attacks with its hind legs. Each sphinx’s description provides its attack bonus and damage.

Normally a creature grapples and then rakes, BUT a creature with pounce can also rake. You decided that it rakes are two attacks, however, you neglected to state the amount of damage in the stat block and in the Rake section. You put the damage in parentheses in the Special Ability section of the state block. Since you neglected how much damage, I'm guessing 1d4-5 [a rabbit's rear attack is more powerful than it's front attack], but you should be the final arbiter of this. See the Sphinx entry in the SRD for a guide.

This is how the stat block for Special Attacks would look using my numbers:

Special Attacks: Bucktooth, Pounce, Rake (1d4-5)

This is how the entry for Rake would look using my numbers:

Rake (Ex): A Cadbury rabbit that pounces onto a creature can make 2 rake attacks with its hind legs. The attack is at +3 melee and does 1d4-5 points of damage.

While I'm correcting things you should revise parts of the stat block. You have it as Magic Egg Laying instead of Candy Egg Laying. Candy Egg Laying should probably be a Supernatural ability.

Correction to the Full Attack line: When you add a special attack to the damage it is listed with "plus" not a "+".

Full Attack: 2 claws +3 melee (1) and bite -2 melee (1d3-5 plus 1 bucktooth)

Organization has a few errors still. "Babies" is misspelled.

Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Family (2 adults plus 2-8 babies)

Yeah, I think male rabbits (even Cadbury rabbits) laying eggs before they die is too weird.

Otherwise, it looks really good. Normally, I'd say that you were a bit heavy handed with Special attacks, but it is a magical beast and these attacks compensate for the rabbit's lack of strength.

Debby

Thugorp
2011-05-06, 12:07 PM
I will look into these formating things...

first though, the special attacks, I only added them because I thought you were saying that bunnies should have them????

Like, I had them just with a bite and then you were all like, no they also get claw attacks... I had thought that you also suggested the rakes no? are you suggesting I take those out now?

(This is not meant to sound hostel I am just confused now.)

Debihuman
2011-05-06, 12:23 PM
Nope, I was suggesting that you re-write the entry so it looks better and uses more standardized text. I originally suggested that bunnies should have claw attacks rather than slam attacks and that they should have rake attacks. I stand by those changes.

If you look at your most current Cadbury rabbit, it says it can rake on a grapple but it makes better sense if it rakes on a pounce. It has Pounce and doesn't have Improved Grab. If you also want it to be able to rake on a grapple then make sure your text has both in it.

It's up to you how you want it to work. I'm just making suggestions based on what you've been changing.

See changes here: Note that I also added the Extraplanar subtype since these are from the elemental plane of candy. I hope this explains everything.

The Rabbits of Cadbury

Size/Type: Diminutive Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 1d10+1 (6 hp)
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: +6 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 16, ff 14
BAB/Grapple: +1/-16
Attack: Claw +3 melee (1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +3 melee (1) and bite -2 melee (1d3-5 plus 1 bucktooth)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Bucktooth, Pounce, Rake (1d4-5)
Special Qualities: Candy Egg Laying, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will -4
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 3, Cha 14
Skills: Jump -1 (+3 to Jump check made after a running start), Survival +4 (natural habitat only)
Feats: Run, weapon finesseB
Environment: Elemental Plane of Candy
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Family (2 adults plus 2-8 babies)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: See Candy Egg Laying notes
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Diminutive), 5-8 (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: —

Cadbury Rabbits

Cadbury Rabbits cluck like chickens. This is often an unexpected, and unusual, surprise for those not native to the Elemental Plane of Candy.

Combat:

Cadbury rabbits are not aggressive unless their eggs are threatened.

Candy Egg Laying (Su): Female Cadbury rabbits lay eggs as chickens do, except that their eggs have a hard chocolate shell, and the yoke inside is a delicious creamy confection. These eggs are completely edible (except when they are fertilized), and are quite delicious. A female Cadbury Rabbit can be expected to lay 1d3 eggs/day assuming she has spent at least 12 hours around either a male rabbit or a rooster within the last 7 days. Female Cadbury rabbits will also lay one final candy egg just before death, regardless of the cause of death.

These eggs are prized as rare delicacies by the upper classes on the various planes, where Cadbury bunnies are not common. The average market price for one of these eggs is around 5 gp.

Pounce (Ex): When a Cadbury Rabbit makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks. However, a Cadbury Rabbit may not use its Bite as part of a pounce attack.

Rake (Ex): A Cadbury rabbit that pounces onto a creature can make 2 rake attacks with its hind legs. Each attack is at +3 melee and does 1d4-5 points of damage.

Skills: Rabbits have a +8 racial bonus to Survive in their natural habitat. If you have the Run feat, you get a +4 bonus on Jump checks for any jumps made after a running start.

Cadbury Rabbits As Familiars

Cadbury Rabbits can be taken as familiars by casters, or manifesters who take Improved Familiar Feat.

They grant their master a +5 (+10) feet base speed.
Debby
P.S. You weren't at all hostile. I get that you were confused. The rules can be quite confusing.

Thugorp
2011-05-06, 05:50 PM
You need to check the SRD Rake is ONLY, "usable," during a graple... that is all it is for, there is a special part of the Pounce ability that allows a creature to ALSO, use any attacks it could do as a rake during a pounce... all the ability Rake actually does is allow an extra two attacks during a graple situation... as I said, I quoted the rake ability directly when I added it... I had to give the bunnies pounce in order to give them what YOU thought they should have. and again there is no such thing as, "rake damage," rake just allows a creature to attack 1 or 2 extra times in certain situations.

p.s.: no I wasn't... which is why I was also a bit confused at your hostile tone starting a few posts ago... :smallconfused:

p.p.s.: I hope you don't think me ungratful I realize that you have put in nearly or as much work as I have on this.

Debihuman
2011-05-07, 12:18 AM
Rake is also possible during pounce -- see Pounce. That's an exception to the Rake only happening during a grapple. This is also why I showed you the Sphinx as an example. The Sphinx has Pounce and Rake without Grapple. :-) Not being hostile but trying to explain the finer rules which can be confusing as they aren't all cross-referenced. Obviously, I wasn't clear enough and so I apologize for that.

From the SRD:

Pounce

When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

That's why I changed it to have Pounce and Rake rather than Grapple and Rake (especially as that has been my experience with rabbits). You decided that the Bite wouldn't occur during the Pounce and Rake, so I added that as well. In the end, I think this is a pretty good combination based on how real rabbits attack. Nevertheless, these were only suggestions to make the Cadbury rabbit more rabbit-like. If you aren't happy with the outcome, I'd be more than happy to work with you so you get a result that you like.

If you think my tone is hostile, I apologize as that was never my intent. I'm only trying to see that the Cadbury Rabbit gets to have the best stat block possible as it was a cool idea and you made it better.

Also, if you decide to keep Rake, you need to decide the damage of the rake. I suggested 1d4-5 but it could even be 1d6-5.

Shall we shake hands on it now? Still friends :-)
Debby