PDA

View Full Version : [FFd6] Final Fantasy 9 Prequel Discussion

steelsmiter
2011-05-02, 01:28 PM
Ok guys I've not had a final fantasy 9 set in the last 10 years or so that worked all the way to 4th disc until fairly recently. I've just for the first time gotten to the fourth disc and the 3rd/4th disc "History dump" has provoked me to want to run a prequel in Dust's FFd6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173958) but in order to do so I would like to run a little collaborative discussion on the assumptions I plan on using.

I'll be using the fuel of this discussion for a face to face game and if it is productive enough I may use it for a game here or in rpol.net but it will be a game of slow posting, maybe once a week... Here's the historical assumptions I'm making so far:

Dr. Tot says: The words Jewel and Summoner Tribe disappeared from records some 500 years ago.
Eiko quotes Lord Avon, a reference Dagger easily gets, and Zidane notices first edition copies of Lord Avon's plays in Alexandria's library and in Mandain Sari.
There is a mention of first edition books from Lord Avon's books being 500 years old.
Interesting how two first edition books show up right next to two summoners isn't it?
This isn't a direct statement of Lord Avon's connection to summoners but in connection with Dust's Side Quest suggestions it makes for an excellent assumption in my opinion.
Shiva was the first summon, Later, some 500 years ago, they had a summoner fail to summon an eidolon. The summoner tribe made the same mistake recently. I'd have to guess that implies they were new to summoning about 500 years ago.
The jewel was supposed to be a reminder of their failure, and of their exodus from their homeland, though I'm a bit confused whether this has anything to do specifically with that summon or not.
There is a rumor of an eidolon in Esto Gaza which implies that might have been their homeland. EDIT: Now that I think of it, technically both the Ark and Madeen weren't strictly from Mandain Sari legend.
Garland made mention of the summoners spliting the jewel and separating its peices.
There's mention of Garland's purpose as one who assimilates planets into Terra and who expressly made the lifa tree for that purpose.
There's mention of a prior failure, but I'm not clear on the dates.

steelsmiter
2011-05-04, 09:04 AM
Also it occurs to me that even though the Lindblum war referred to in the quizzes of the ragtime rat ended in 1608 I neither know what year Garnet turned sixteen nor what signifies year zero.

Dust
2011-05-05, 01:51 AM
Sure is an awful lot of Final Fantasy on the first page.
I'll see if I can answer your gaps in knowledge.

There was indeed an Eidolon in Mt. Gulug at some point, one that was never encountered by the player. It was brought into being by the legends of the mole people tribe that once lived there, and Kuja was seeking an Eidolon there when he was after the Gulug Stone that was said to be even more powerful than Alexander (Perhaps Diabolos, though Titan oddly doesn't make an appearance in the game either). Though this fact is disputed by some people, his quotes later in the game confirm it absolutely. ("You two just don't get it! I need an eidolon more powerful than Alexander! An eidolon with the power to bury Garland!")
And again, Gulug was sealed due to Garland's fear of Gaia's eidolons.
Year zero is the date when the races of the world began keeping track of dates via a calender. It took five thousand years to recover from the near-global extinction caused by Terra's attempted assimilation.
The current year is 1799. Garnet was born in 1784, and turns 16 during the course of the game (speculated to be early February, as her coronation is on the 9th of that month).
Ark is special, as it isn't technically an eidolon in the sense we understand them as Shiva/Ramuh/Etc. Rather, it was an airship left in Oeilvert by Garland as protection for the Gulug Stone. At first this seems to be contradictory, as Terra did not have the means to create Eidolons, and yet it obviously originates from there. So rather, Ark was really just a mechanical warmachine at first - but as eidolons are given form and power by souls and memories, it transformed from a vessel to an entity by Terran souls, 'converted' into a new state by Gaia's core. This fusing of worlds is why Ark is such a significantly powerful summon.

All that said, this isn't really the right forum for these questions, since you're essentially looking to spark a discussion the story from a specific game. Try this forum, steelsmiter; Click me! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)

steelsmiter
2011-05-06, 09:26 AM
Thanks Dust, I'll be sure to assimilate your information into my own, it changes things quite a bit... Is there a way to get this thread moved or do I need to start over and point a link at this thread?

DracoDei
2011-05-07, 09:33 AM
You can request an administrator to move it.

Of course, since homebrew appears to be the end-goal, it COULD stay here, but it might get better/more response in that other portion of the forum (I honestly wouldn't know).

steelsmiter
2011-05-12, 12:46 PM
ok I've got some other questions but they'll wait til I figure out how to put in for that request.