PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e NPC PrC] The Bartender (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-05-09, 05:07 PM
The Bartender
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs34/f/2008/303/b/4/Saloon_Bartender_II_by_Zyklon8B.jpg
Information? Yeah, I might have something. You need to buy a drink first, though.

-Jorg, Bartender

The world is full of taverns, inns, and pubs. And everyone knows that heading such an establishment is always the Bartender. He hears things and manages not to get hit from stray Fireballs, mostly. But he is there. This, my friend, is his story. Or his statblock.

Becoming a Bartender
Well... it's a profession. Likely the joint has been owned by the family for generations. Less likely, though still possible, is that you founded the establishment yourself. Whatever the means, you have chosen that your life's calling is to evade rabid PCs while serving cooling beverages.

Entry Requirements
Skills: Profession (Bartender) 6, Listen 2, Knowledge (Local) 1
Special: Must tend a Bar, Inn, Tavern, or similar establishment.

Skill points at each level: 4 + Intelligence Modifier
Class Skills: Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (Local), Profession, Listen, Spot, Sense motive

Hit Die: d8

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st

+0

+2

+2

+0
Uncanny Dodge

2nd

+1

+3

+3

+0
A Little Bird Told Me

3rd

+2

+3

+3

+1
Evasion

4th

+3

+4

+4

+1
Seen it All

5th

+3

+4

+4

+1
Indomitable

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, one martial weapon of their choice, and has improvised weapon proficiency with bar implements such as mugs, bottles, and chairs.

Uncanny Dodge: Barfights can often come out of nowhere. One must be prepared for such occurrences. Dodging a beer mug that flew outta nowhere is standard fare for a Bartender. As the Rogue ability of the same name.

A Little Bird Told Me: At 2nd level, a Bartender gains the ability to know relevant information just as a Bard does. This ability functions exactly like Bardic Knowledge, save for the modifier to the check is the Twice the Bartender's Bartender Level plus his Wisdom modifier.

Evasion: Bars are home to PCs. PC parties are home to Wizards. Wizards like casting spells such as Fireball. Fireballs hurt. Getting out of the way is usually a good idea. As the Rogue ability of the same name.

Seen it All: After a few years in the business you get a bit jaded. After you've stared down a fifteenth level Minotaur Barbarian, not much scares you. You can no longer be Intimidated and gain a +4 bonus to all Sense Motive checks and saves against Fear Effects and Enchantment.

Indomitable: Bartenders are tough to kill. They gotta be, or they don't last long. Once per day, they can simply not die. When they would otherwise be reduced to -10 or below, they can (And really should) activate this ability to instead drop to -9 and be immediately stabilized. This ability can instead be used to automatically succeed on one save versus a Death Effect.

I heard someone wanted more NPC PrCs?

Morph Bark
2011-05-09, 05:49 PM
Really nice PrC, awesome. I'd lower the prerequisites a tiny bit and add Gather Information to the skill list.

Welknair
2011-05-09, 05:54 PM
Really nice PrC, awesome. I'd lower the prerequisites a tiny bit and add Gather Information to the skill list.

Good call. Just realized how skill point intensive the requirements are. Changing it now.

Mulletmanalive
2011-05-09, 07:40 PM
Why do they have to own the bar? I've worked as a bartender a lot and I've not come close to owning one yet...

This also lacks the most powerful ability the bartender has; "So...what'll it be" the line that will end up with you hearing another life story...

The Alien
2011-05-09, 07:57 PM
Pretty cool. I like it.

Welknair
2011-05-09, 08:24 PM
Why do they have to own the bar? I've worked as a bartender a lot and I've not come close to owning one yet...

This also lacks the most powerful ability the bartender has; "So...what'll it be" the line that will end up with you hearing another life story...

Changed it to "Must tend a..."

As for that... I can't decide if that should be a feature or simply the result of the other party consuming large quantities of alcohol. I try to keep the abilities to things that wouldn't usually be allowed by standard rules and I think that this would be. You don't have to be a Bartender to hear a drunk person going on about things that they really shouldn't be. Then again, there would be an amount of skill involved... But a Diplomacy check (Or perhaps Gather Information? Can that be used for questioning someone?) would likely cover it.

Seerow
2011-05-09, 08:33 PM
Maybe another couple of skill points wouldn't go astray? Most NPCs don't have particularly great Int, and you require 3 different skills to enter, and don't even have the social skills you'd expect (such as gather information, bluff, or diplomacy). He doesn't need all of them, but I'd expect at least a couple, especially out of a class that is so obviously skill oriented. I'd also consider making the A Little Bird Told me bonus twice your Bartender level, just so he might occasionally actually succeed at a knowledge check that the PCs interracting with him would care about.

Welknair
2011-05-09, 08:51 PM
Maybe another couple of skill points wouldn't go astray? Most NPCs don't have particularly great Int, and you require 3 different skills to enter, and don't even have the social skills you'd expect (such as gather information, bluff, or diplomacy). He doesn't need all of them, but I'd expect at least a couple, especially out of a class that is so obviously skill oriented. I'd also consider making the A Little Bird Told me bonus twice your Bartender level, just so he might occasionally actually succeed at a knowledge check that the PCs interracting with him would care about.

Both changes made. I was trying to figure how to boost the ALBTM modifier to a reasonable level... I considered having it be Level+Listen but decided against it. Level*2 works pretty well. I also realized that they didn't have near enough skill points given how many they really need, as you pointed out.

I also have a whole slew of NPC PrCs that I'm getting ready to post... The Guard, Magic Item Dealer and Messenger. I'm also juggling around ideas for the Mage's Apprentice.

ericgrau
2011-05-09, 09:18 PM
Hmm warrior 1 / bartender 5 / fighter X. Now 1/day I can't die :P.

Or... expert 1 / bartender 5 / bard 7 / loremaster X. 2 rerolls on your bardic knowledge. Btw metamagic feats don't have pre-reqs so you can start taking them at level 1 :P.

Noremak
2011-05-09, 09:29 PM
Maybe "So what will it be?" should give a bonus to diplomacy checks? People are predisposed to trust and view the local bar tender in a more favorable light. +1 per class level to diplomacy checks.

Also perform(Bar Tending Flair) as a class skill for tips. :smallbiggrin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkN0rLvmpI

Welknair
2011-05-09, 09:53 PM
Hmm warrior 1 / bartender 5 / fighter X. Now 1/day I can't die :P.

Or... expert 1 / bartender 5 / bard 7 / loremaster X. 2 rerolls on your bardic knowledge. Btw metamagic feats don't have pre-reqs so you can start taking them at level 1 :P.

If you ever gain any class features from any class that is not an NPC PrC you lose all class features from your NPC PrCs. Bonus feats count as class features.

Thugorp
2011-05-10, 02:54 AM
First I love this class and can't wait to see the other N.P.C. Pr.C.s.

just a few comments, If you want the Bartender to loss all class abilities should he ever take a level of something other than a N.P.C. Pr.C., then you should probably say so in the class description and maybe include an Ex-Bartender section. Though honestly I don't like this idea because bar-tending is a profession not like a magical mumbojumbo... One question I wonder is do you loss all abilities even if you get class features from N.P.C. base classes?

Welknair
2011-05-10, 08:10 AM
just a few comments, If you want the Bartender to loss all class abilities should he ever take a level of something other than a N.P.C. Pr.C., then you should probably say so in the class description and maybe include an Ex-Bartender section. Though honestly I don't like this idea because bar-tending is a profession not like a magical mumbojumbo... One question I wonder is do you loss all abilities even if you get class features from N.P.C. base classes?

Well the main idea was that these would be entirely off limits to heroes. These are the 'Normal People'. The class feature restriction can easily be disregarded. And as it is, don't you lose class features if you no longer qualify for the class itself? I think that might be true but I'm not sure. And mostly I'm too lazy to go through all of my NPC PrCs to add "Ex-____" sections and special notes saying that they do indeed lose their powers.

averagejoe
2011-05-10, 10:38 AM

I think back in the day the bartender was usually the inn/tavern owner, but I'll admit to not having any real knowledge about that. Not saying the ability shouldn't be changed, but using modern day experience isn't always correct. :smallwink:

I feel like he should have the ability to flawlessly slide a cup across a countertop.

Thugorp
2011-05-10, 10:38 AM
Then why does is say P.E.A.C.H. in the title? Don't get me wrong if you dissagreed with adding it I wouldn't have said this, but if you are just to, "lazy," to make a change then why bother asking for people to critique your work? :-P

Welknair
2011-05-10, 04:35 PM
Then why does is say P.E.A.C.H. in the title? Don't get me wrong if you dissagreed with adding it I wouldn't have said this, but if you are just to, "lazy," to make a change then why bother asking for people to critique your work? :-P

Well, that's more of a preference issue than a balance issue...

And I do believe that by default if you no longer meet the entry requirements you no longer gain the benefits of the class.

Thugorp
2011-05-10, 07:21 PM
fair I guess... ummm I feel a little silly saying it here, since I am literally just using Firefox's find function to find all of your classes to make sure I don't miss any of the awesomeness, but... I think this one needs weapon/armor proficiency.

Welknair
2011-05-10, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I'll go through all of these and add proficiencies when I have a bit of time.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-10, 07:43 PM
Make sure they get Improvised Weapon Proficiency in Mugs, Bottles, Barstools and similar bartending implements. :smallbiggrin: I can't really personally see them being proficient in much else though, daggers maybe?

Thugorp
2011-05-10, 07:47 PM
Daggers, clubs(or baseball/cricket bats), Cross-Bowes(the one he keeps under the bar), and 1 kind of sword(long or longer, the one hanging above the bar that he/his father/his grand father/great great grand... used to use on adventures as a young man/brought home from the war/used in the age before the city was built.) :-)

Welknair
2011-05-10, 08:56 PM
Daggers, clubs(or baseball/cricket bats), Cross-Bowes(the one he keeps under the bar), and 1 kind of sword(long or longer, the one hanging above the bar that he/his father/his grand father/great great grand... used to use on adventures as a young man/brought home from the war/used in the age before the city was built.) :-)

I think Simple Weapon Proficiency along with proficiency with a single Martial Weapon of their choice should cover this. Add in "And with mugs, bottles, and chairs" and most of the Improvised weapons at their disposal should be covered as well.

PoorHobo
2011-05-10, 09:12 PM
I can't imagine any campaign setting except maybe Ebberon where a bartender learns evasion before some sort of unarmed or improvised fighting skills.

Also immune to intimidate would make it a no-no in any campaign I ran. As other's have pointed out this is powerful enough to be a PC class

As far as weapon proficiencies, a sap. Killing your customers is bad for bussiness.

Welknair
2011-05-10, 09:19 PM
I can't imagine any campaign setting except maybe Ebberon where a bartender learns evasion before some sort of unarmed or improvised fighting skills.

Also immune to intimidate would make it a no-no in any campaign I ran. As other's have pointed out this is powerful enough to be a PC class

As far as weapon proficiencies, a sap. Killing your customers is bad for bussiness.

Check the proficiencies. Bartenders can are proficient with all simple weapons and most common bar items.

RaggedAngel
2011-05-10, 09:19 PM
Hm. I feel like you should either give them a good Will save, or stick something in there to help protect them from charm and domination; you'd think that after a while they'd build up a tolerance to bards, sorcerers, and wizards Charming them as a means to escape paying for room and board.

Welknair
2011-05-10, 09:22 PM
Hm. I feel like you should either give them a good Will save, or stick something in there to help protect them from charm and domination; you'd think that after a while they'd build up a tolerance to bards, sorcerers, and wizards Charming them as a means to escape paying for room and board.

Hmm. You actually have a point there. Wait, so we're saying that this is going to be an NPC class with all good saves? I know, I'll squeeze it into Seen it All.

Debihuman
2011-05-10, 09:58 PM
It seems like you should say this:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, martial weapons, and one improvised weapon of his or her choice: mug, bottle, or chair.

See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#martialWeapons
(if you look down the page there is a chart listing the martial weapons).

Don't forget --characters take a -4 penalty to attack with a weapon if they are not proficient with that weapon.

Debby

Debihuman
2011-05-10, 10:00 PM

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, martial weapons, and one improvised weapon of his or her choice: mug, bottle, or chair.

Don't forget --characters take a -4 penalty to attack with a weapon if they are not proficient with that weapon.

Debby

Welknair
2011-05-10, 10:15 PM

Debby

Reworded it a bit. I don't believe that they should be proficient with all Martial weapons, however. It doesn't make a lot of sense as to why they would have training with all of those...

Morph Bark
2011-05-11, 03:26 AM
Check the proficiencies. Bartenders can are proficient with all simple weapons and most common bar items.

The sap is a martial weapon.

Welknair
2011-05-11, 08:10 AM
The sap is a martial weapon.

Well darn. I guess that they could choose that as the martial weapon which they are proficient with?

Debihuman
2011-05-11, 10:41 AM
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, one martial weapon of their choice, and bar implements such as mugs, bottles, and chairs.

Bar implements are Improvised Weapons. You should give them Improvised Weapon proficiency with bar implements (mugs, chairs and bottles, etc.).

Debby

Welknair
2011-05-11, 04:53 PM
Added in that their proficiency with the bar implements counts as Improvised Weapon Proficiency. Also, you seem to be double-posting a bit...

Thugorp
2011-05-14, 04:05 AM
Ummmm.... I am pretty sure there is no such thing as, "improvised weapon proficiency," ... that's sort of why they are Improvised weapons... there is even an entire Pr.C. called the weapons expert ... the core ability of it is that the character can use any item as a weapon without the -4 improvised weapon penalty... if any character could just gain that with a feat they wouldn't have had to make it a special feature and base a PrC. around it.!

Also, maybe exchange Reflex for Will in the good bad save department? Why give them a poor Will save only to later give them a plus four against just about everything thing for which you would have to make a Will save against?

Veklim
2011-05-14, 08:10 AM
Don't see too much wrong with this at all personally. The bartender is being given a PC style boost with this for the simple reason of survival. The horrors visited upon my poor earlier bartenders and tavern keepers were astounding and brutal so I see the appeal of this.

Also, perform as a class skill would make at least a little sense. I ran a bar for 3 years and it's basically a long thin stage with a 3 1/2 ft high barrier between you and the audience. If the customers are entertained, they stay longer and pay for more drinks. Makes sense!

I am pretty sure there is no such thing as, "improvised weapon proficiency,"
Well....there is now! :smalltongue:
Why not after all? Is this character going to be built specifically to deal major damage with every item, or assassinate group members? No, probably not. He's being built to survive the group, let him have his day!

Debihuman
2011-05-14, 08:58 AM
All the Improvised Weapon Proficiency does is remove the -4 penalty to attack with improvised weapons. It makes sense to create this even if it isn't in the rules. However, I'm fairly sure I've seen it in other places so this isn't a new idea.

Debby

Welknair
2011-05-14, 09:20 AM
Ummmm.... I am pretty sure there is no such thing as, "improvised weapon proficiency," ... that's sort of why they are Improvised weapons... there is even an entire Pr.C. called the weapons expert ... the core ability of it is that the character can use any item as a weapon without the -4 improvised weapon penalty... if any character could just gain that with a feat they wouldn't have had to make it a special feature and base a PrC. around it.!

Also, maybe exchange Reflex for Will in the good bad save department? Why give them a poor Will save only to later give them a plus four against just about everything thing for which you would have to make a Will save against?

You know, that's what I was thinking as well. Though I would allow my players to take "Improvised Weapon Proficiency" as if it were Martial Weapon Proficiency. As in, pick one. Not the best investment of a feat, but hey. If you want to spend the time learning how to effectively use a chair... Anyways, it doesn't really make a difference what you call it. They can use Bar Implements without the -4.

Well, they kind of need a Good Reflex for their Evasion. Without it, it seems like kinda a moot ability. And then giving them all good saves seemed a bit.. overpowered for a supposedly "NPC" class. So a specific bonus to Compulsions seemed like it would be a better compromise.

Thugorp
2011-05-14, 11:08 PM
That's fair :-),

Also, ya taking proficiency with one, or one class of item(as in proficiency with cups, or proficiency with chairs, or proficiency with books), is something I think you can gain for a feat! :-D So ya that's totally legit. :-)