PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e PrC] Metamagic Expert (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-05-10, 06:43 PM
Note the lack of "NPC". This one is made for PCs.

Metamagic Expert

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs30/f/2008/081/c/7/mage_by_EternalLordsTeam.jpg
"Spells are but a starting point. Know how to manipulate the formulas, and the true power of Magic is unleashed"

-Roagish, Metamagic Expert

Spells are collections of Arcane Formulae that have been tried and tested throughout the ages. Metamagic alters those formulas to produced desired effects. Metamagic equals versatility. Versatility equals power. All Wizards want Power. This is the origin of the Metamagic Expert. They seek ultimate Arcane Enlightenment through their devotion to Metamagic. They learn how to modify spells as they are being cast and draw upon previously undiscovered powers.

Becoming a Metamagic Expert
Metamagic Experts are almost exclusively Wizards that began their careers as diligent students in a prestigious Arcane College. To become a full-fledged Expert they need only spend their time researching the methods of Metamagic and devoting themselves to these methods. Occasionally there are Master-Apprentice relations, but most often Metamagic Experts are self-taught. As a matter of fact, some are widely suspicious that others will steal their hard-earned secrets.

Entry Requirements
Feats: Any three Metamagic feats
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8, Spellcraft 8
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd level Arcane Spells

Skill Points each level: 2+Intelligence Modifier
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft.
Hit Dice: d4

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Spellcasting

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2
Metamagic Reserve I
-

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3
Bonus Metamagic Feat
+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+3
Metamagic Identification

4th

+2

+1

+1

+4
Metamagic Reserve II

5th

+2

+1

+1

+4
Bonus Metamagic Feat

6th

+3

+2

+2

+5
Undo Metamagic
-

7th

+3

+2

+2

+5
Metamagic Reserve III

8th

+4

+2

+2

+6
Bonus Metamagic Feat

9th

+4

+3

+3

+6
Hastened Metamagic

10th

+5

+3

+3

+7
Metamagic Reserve IV

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Metamagic Experts gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Metamagic Reserve: The primary ability of the Metamagic Experts is that of Spontaneous Metamagic. They can apply their Metamagic Feats on the fly be expending an amount of their Metamagic Reserve, which recovers entirely with 8 hours of rest. Their Reserve contains 3 spell levels at 1st level, 6 at 4th, 9 at 7th, and 12 at 10th. Spontaneously applying Metamagic Feats with this ability increases the casting time as if the caster were a Sorcerer utilizing a Metamagic Feat and costs a number of Reserve Points equal to the slot adjustment of the feat. A spell modified by this ability can never be of a total level exceeding the highest level the Expert can cast.

Bonus Metamagic Feat: At 2nd, 5th, and 8th level the Metamagic Expert gains an additional Metamagic feat.

Metamagic Identification: Starting at 3rd level a Metamagic Expert can immediately identify any Metamagic feats present in any spells that they witness or examine via Detect Magic. Additionally, learning Metamagic Feats alters the way one casts even "Normal" spells. The Expert can pick up on these slight differences. When they witness another caster cast any spell not modified by metamagic, they may attempt a Spellcraft check at DC 15+Target's CL. If successful, the Expert learns one Metamagic feat the target has. For every 5 that they exceed, they learn of one additional Metamagic feat.

Undo Metamagic: A Metamagic Expert becomes so innately attuned to Metamagic that they can strip the altered effects off of a spell being cast by another. As an immediate action they may attempt to remove the effects of one or more Metamagic feats from a spell being cast within Close range of them. The Expert first spends an amount of Reserve Points equal to the slot adjustments of the metamagic feats which he wishes to remove. This is followed by an opposed Caster Level check for each feat in question. On a success, the effect of that feat is removed from the spell.

Hastened Metamagic: Starting at 9th level a Metamagic Expert no longer suffers from an increased casting time from spontaneously applying Metamagic feats.

This was made to provide an interesting NPC in an upcoming competition in my campaign. It also makes a bunch of those situational metamagic feats slightly more useful.

Daverin
2011-05-10, 07:35 PM
Just to clarify, do you only spend as many levels in the reserve as adjusted, or equal to the total level of the spell? Seems silly, but I could see some DM of the "me vs party" mentality "interpreting" whichever one screws over the party most without clarification.

Thugorp
2011-05-10, 07:39 PM
Ummm... sorry I ... ummm... It seems a bit strong for an N.P.C. class doesn't it??? :mitd: :eek: :smalltongue: :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Welknair
2011-05-10, 08:59 PM
Just to clarify, do you only spend as many levels in the reserve as adjusted, or equal to the total level of the spell? Seems silly, but I could see some DM of the "me vs party" mentality "interpreting" whichever one screws over the party most without clarification.

Adjusted. I'll add the clarification.

Ummm... sorry I ... ummm... It seems a bit strong for an N.P.C. class doesn't it??? :mitd: :eek: :smalltongue: :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Note the lack of "NPC". This one is made for PCs.

(This was the first line of the post...)

Daverin
2011-05-10, 10:20 PM
I am guessing the multitude of smilies were to indicate a joke. I think. Am I right?

Thugorp
2011-05-10, 11:07 PM
indeed.________

Daverin
2011-05-11, 02:28 AM
Yay!

As for the class; hard to say (at least to my inexperienced critical eye). Metamagic can be very powerful, but losing caster levels is obviously quite a hit. I suppose that, since not having this will not prevent abusing metamagic if so desired, and given how nice the concept is, I would probably call it done well. I especially like the idea of removing metamagic from a spell; just imagine the reaction from an arcanist seeing his magic warped before his very eyes! :smalltongue:

Welknair
2011-05-11, 08:12 AM
Yay!

As for the class; hard to say (at least to my inexperienced critical eye). Metamagic can be very powerful, but losing caster levels is obviously quite a hit. I suppose that, since not having this will not prevent abusing metamagic if so desired, and given how nice the concept is, I would probably call it done well. I especially like the idea of removing metamagic from a spell; just imagine the reaction from an arcanist seeing his magic warped before his very eyes! :smalltongue:

It would be particularly useful when you've captured an enemy caster. As he tries to use Still Spells, you just strip off that metamagic and he finds himself needing to make the gestures. Then he remembers he's tied up. :smalltongue:

And thank you. I did my best to keep it balanced. The lost CL should be about even with the extra spell levels gained. Playtesting never hurts though...