PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e PrC] Contingency Caster (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-05-11, 06:24 PM
Soon there will be a large tournament in my main campaign, focused around Arcane Casters. I felt that this would get a bit repetitive if most of them were straight-up Wizards. So of course I looked at PrCs and the classes in Complete Arcane and the like. However, I also felt that this was an opportunity to do some brewing. You may have seen my Metamagic Expert, for example. Then I was struck with the idea for a character focused around large numbers of Contingent spells. Well, by default you can only have one such spell at a time. Enter homebrew PrCs. This got me started on a massive number of PrCs focused around specific spells or small groups of spells. I largely based them off of the Wayfarer Guide and how they went about things (Hence the 3-level-ness and the lack of a casting increase at second) as it did almost exactly what I wanted to do. And so here we are. Be prepared for a flood of these things.

Contingency Caster

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/098/1/7/Fire_mage_by_devrimkunter.jpg
"It's good to be prepared."

-Gerald, Contingency Caster

Wizards are set apart from the barbaric Sorcerers by their devotion to study and their constant foresight of events that allows them to wisely select which spells to prepare. Some Wizards see even further and prepare spells on a much longer-term basis via the use of Contingency. However, Contingency is so... limiting in it's base form. And so the Contingency Caster was born. These individuals focus on enhancing their ability to utilize and create Contingent spells to be ready for any happening.

Becoming a Contingent Caster
Contingent Casters usually start their careers as Wizards with a talent for planning ahead. They realize that their best defense against the dangers of the world is simply to have a spell for every occasion. Sadly, this isn't possible under normal circumstances. They find that they can at least get a step closer by having Contingencies for many possible dangers. And this is where their journeys into the wonders of Contingency begin. Most Contingency Casters are self-taught. You don't need a specialized mentor or ancient tomes to learn how to better use a spell that you already have access to. You just need practice.

Entry Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 10
Spells: Able to cast Contingency

Skill Points each level: 2 + Intelligence Modifier
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft.

Hit Dice: d4

Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special | Spellcasting
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2| Contingency Capacity | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| Extra Condition, Quick Contingency | -

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3| Nonpersonal Contingency | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Contingency Casters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Contingency Capacity: The main talent of the Contingency Casters is their ability to hold more than one Contigency at a time. Namely, they can have an additional Contigency Spell for each level that they have in this class. Additionally, if they have Craft Contingent Spell, this ability similarly effects the number of Contingent Spells which may be crafted for a certain individual.

Extra Condition: Some spells are quite versatile. It's a waste to reserve them for only a single eventuality. Because of this Contingency Casters learn how to add an additional Condition whenever they cast Contingency. This condition may be an "And" or an "Or" condition. As in the Caster can decide whether one or both may be needed to be fulfilled in order for the spell to trigger. When creating a Contingent Spell through Craft Contingent Spell, this ability can be added as well. However, doing so increases the cost as if the spell were one level higher.

Quick Contingency: Sometimes you don't have ten minutes to cast a Contingency. Contingency Casters learn to deal with less, reducing the casting time to a single Full-Round action, or the casting time of the spell in question, whichever is greater.

Nonpersonal Contingency: The ultimate perfection of the Contingent Caster's craft is to be able to make Contingencies for spells with ranges other than "Personal". These allow for all sorts protections. However, they also require more previous definition. All choices about the spell must be made at the time that Contingency is cast. For example, a Caster could have a Contingent Fireball and they could specify that this spell would be cast on the first person to attack them. This could be a very bad decision if said attacker happens to be a melee individual. So they need a bit more planning and this is where Extra Condition comes in handy. This ability may not be used in conjunction with Craft Contingent Spell.

Yeah. Not great, but should make for an interesting character.

Demidos
2011-05-11, 07:31 PM
Nice!
I would suggest swapping Extra condition to level one (with no spellcasting level advance) and contigency capacity (and the spellcasting advancement) to second level. That way, it prevents one level dips to just get the contigency capacity for "free", while still giving a good ability at first level.

Just my take:smallsmile:

Edit: or I guess contigency capacity is more helpful, so you could just move the advancing spellcasting back one level.

Thugorp
2011-05-15, 11:31 PM
I don't know... it seems a bit lacking... is three contingency spells per day really enough for these guys to call themselves an entirely different order of Magi? Maybe give them an entirely different pool of spells, and 5-10 levels, keep the one contingency spell per-level rule(or maybe make it two per-level or three per-two levels), but then specify that a contingency magi can ONLY use their Contingency Magi spell pool(/ spells per-day) as contingencies. This way they still have some utility out side of their contingency casting(what ever they have from their base class), but there new spell progression and spells per-day is only usable through the unique abilities of this class. It gives them an entirely new casting mechanic, lets them keep their old one, makes them more unique and ... well more contingencies. :smallcool:

Edit: I think 5 levels is probably better than ten(but as many as 7 wouldn't be too bad if you don't mind odd numbers).

EdroGrimshell
2011-05-16, 03:51 PM
I'd actually use it as is, but maybe take into account the feat Craft Contingent Spell, like give it for free and let them apply more of those as well or something like that. Actually, if you'd be willing to DM it, i'd playtest this for you since i'm pretty good at thinking outside the box.

And mixing this with the metamagic expert in a campaign could be a lot of fun for being both prepared ahead of time and being able to modify on the fly.

Welknair
2011-05-16, 04:44 PM
Again, this is based off of the Wayfarer's Guide from CA. It's actually one of fifteen or so such classes that I've created. I just haven't gotten around to posting the rest. These are for things such as Antimagic Field, the Orb Spells, Ray Spells, Wall Spells, Enervation/Energy Drain, Mist spells, and more that I can't remember off the top of my head. These classes are meant to represent a bit more proficiency with their chosen spell or small group of spells. They are hardly an entirely different group of mage. That was not my intention. My intention was to build upon the versatility of these spells in a way to allow spellcasting characters to become more proficient in their use and use them in new and exciting ways.

And it would be four Contingencies. A bonus per each level, plus the one that characters can already use. Beyond that and you may have problems keeping track of them, especially with Extra Condition.

You are quite right, Edro. It would make for one heck of a character. Good luck getting him into a situation he can't get out of. This class is actually being used by one of my NPCs in the aforementioned Tournament. I'm curious to see how he fares against my party's Evoker who... plays like she's a tier three character. If I'm smart with the choice of Contingencies, it should turn out to be quite an interesting match. If I'm not, we're going to have a pile of ash to Resurrect.

Added in a little sumtin for Craft Contingent Spell.

Veyr
2011-05-16, 05:04 PM
Let's see.... Contingency is one of the most powerful effects in the game, and probably the most important one for making sure that a Wizard is never going to be caught with his pants down... and you want to give them more of these?

One spellcasting level isn't even remotely cost enough to justify this. Actually, I'm pretty sure that as a DM, I just wouldn't want this to exist in the game.

It's a cool idea, I'll admit, but Contingency is just so powerful. I really think you're underestimating the effects that Contingencies, and especially more and more flexible Contingencies, is going to have on the game.

Qwertystop
2011-05-16, 05:29 PM
Yeah, isn't Contingency pretty much the entire reason that it's a bad idea to ban Evocation?

EdroGrimshell
2011-05-16, 05:35 PM
You are quite right, Edro. It would make for one heck of a character. Good luck getting him into a situation he can't get out of. This class is actually being used by one of my NPCs in the aforementioned Tournament. I'm curious to see how he fares against my party's Evoker who... plays like she's a tier three character. If I'm smart with the choice of Contingencies, it should turn out to be quite an interesting match. If I'm not, we're going to have a pile of ash to Resurrect.

Added in a little sumtin for Craft Contingent Spell.

Offer still stands, i'm up for helping to playtest any of these PrCs of yours, they're some of my favorites so far (though RoC's Xenotheurgy still is my number 1).

Veyr
2011-05-16, 05:35 PM
Yeah, isn't Contingency pretty much the entire reason that it's a bad idea to ban Evocation?
Err... well, no. Because you can Greater Shadow Evocation to get Contingency. So it's still a good idea to ban Evocation, despite Contingency. But yeah, Contingency is pretty much the only Evocation in Core that you'd actually care about losing when you ban Evocation.

I suppose this has that going for it: the requirement is to be able to cast Contingency, so Greater Shadow Evocation for Contingency probably won't work. So you can't ban Evocation. Still worth it.

unosarta
2011-05-16, 05:37 PM

It's literally never a bad idea to ban Evocation. You gain so little (in core, I suppose) from not banning it that it isn't even worth thinking about.

Thugorp
2011-05-17, 07:55 AM
why in the world would any one ban a school of magic??? If your at the point where your banning major game eliments maybe its just time you found a new D.M. ... :mitd:

unosarta
2011-05-17, 08:48 AM
why in the world would any one ban a school of magic??? If your at the point where your banning major game eliments maybe its just time you found a new D.M. ... :mitd:

I am not sure if you are entirely serious, here, but really? All wizards have to ban at least one school of magic, unless they are elves and are taking specific substitution levels. However, for the rest of wizard-dom, unless you are a diviner, you will have to ban at least one school of magic as a wizard.

I think I can see that you are saying it is being banned in general by a DM, but that is not what we are talking about.

Qwertystop
2011-05-17, 09:15 AM
I am not sure if you are entirely serious, here, but really? All wizards have to ban at least one school of magic, unless they are elves and are taking specific substitution levels. However, for the rest of wizard-dom, unless you are a diviner, you will have to ban at least one school of magic as a wizard.

I think I can see that you are saying it is being banned in general by a DM, but that is not what we are talking about.

Actually, you do not need to specialize. If you specialize, you ban two schools in exchange for bonus spell slots in one school, or ban one school only if you are a diviner.

However, you can choose to not specialize, meaning you get no bonus spells but can use any school.

unosarta
2011-05-17, 09:40 PM
Actually, you do not need to specialize. If you specialize, you ban two schools in exchange for bonus spell slots in one school, or ban one school only if you are a diviner.

However, you can choose to not specialize, meaning you get no bonus spells but can use any school.

Honestly, those bonus spell slots are well worth banning Evocation and your choice of Necromancy/Enchantment/Illusion.

Veyr
2011-05-17, 10:20 PM
Necromancy hurts to lose; Illusion hurts a lot to lose (especially since banning Evocation and Illusion means no Contingency ever). I'd ban Abjuration before Illusion, and before Necromancy too if there was a Cleric around who could handle things like Dispel Magic (most Sor/Wiz Abjurations are also on the Cleric list, IIRC). Evocation and Enchantment offer very little that can't be found in other schools.

Enchantment can skyrocket in usefulness in the right campaigns. A more political campaign, with mostly humanoids who are not going to have access to 8th level spell effects? Enchantment is awesome.