7|+7|+5|+2|+5|Cold Battlefield, +1 Str
8|+8|+6|+2|+5|No Rest for the Wicked, You've Failed me for The Last Time +1 Con
9|+9|+6|+3|+6|Cold Assault +1 Cha
10|+10|+7|+3|+7|Tactical Devil, +1 Str
11|+11|+7|+3|+7|Cold Mirage, +1 Con
12|+12|+8|+4|+8|Expendable Sacrifice, +1 Cha
13|+13|+8|+4|+8| Cold Aura (Unholy Aura), Ice Spear, +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha

[/table]
Skills: 6+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level, class skills are Balance, Bluff , climb Concentration , Diplomacy , Disguise, Hide, Intimidate , Knowledge (any) , Listen , Move Silently , Search , Sense Motive , Spellcraft , Spot , Survival , Use Magic Device

Proficiencies:Simple and martial weapons, it's own natural weapons.

Features:

Ice Devil body:The Ice Devil loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits (basicaly darkvision 60 feets). It's a medium sized outsider with base 40 feets and two natural claw attacks dealing 1d6+Str mod damage each and a bite attack dealing 1d8+1/2 Str mod. In a ful attack, the Ice Devil takes no penalty for using both claws at the same time, but the bite attack takes a -5 penalty.

The Ice Devil also gains a bonus to Nat armor equal to his Con modifier.

Cold Tactician: The Ice Devilcan use the Aid Another as a move action.

At 6 HD they can do so as a swift action.

At 12 HD they can do so an an immediate action.

Devil:At second level the Ice Devil gains resistance to fire and and a bonus on saves against poison equal to his HD, and resistance to acid and cold equal to half his HD. Plus telepathy 40 feets plus 10 feets for each extra HD from here. Also gains the evil and lawfull subtypes and his weapons/natural attacks count as evil and lawfull for bypassing DR.

In addition, its darkvision applies to all kinds of darkness, even deeper darkness.

Summon Legion:Ice Devils serve as commanders of the Nine Hells, wich gives them direct acess to its legions. Once per hour the Ice Devil may summon forth reinforcments as a standard action, that instantly appear adjacent to him. The creature summoned depends on it's HD:

2HD: 2 Lemures.
5HD:Bearded devil
9HD: Bone Devil
13HD: Ice devil
17 HD: Choose two times.
20 HD: Choose four times.

Instead of the strongest creature possible, the Ice Devil may instead summon twice the amount of the next weakest creature, or quadruple the amount of the next weakest creature, and so on. So for example a 13 HD Ice Devil could summon 2 Bone Devils, or 4 Bearded Devils, or 16 Lemures.

Those devils serve for 1 minute per HD and then disapear. They can't use their own summoning abilities.

Hell Skin:At third level the Ice Devil gains DR/silver and good equal to half it's HD and SR equal to 11+HD.

Minion Shield: Ice Devils specialize in taking cover behind their troops. At third level they gain +1 to AC, all saves, SR, DR, and resistances for every adjacent summon that's at least one size category smaller than the Ice Devil (or bigger).

Cold Spear: At 3rd level, the Ice Devil may as a fullround action create a masterwork spear suiting it's tastes, of a material of it's choice (including special materials like adamantine or cold iron). It has the normal stats of a spear and it has an enanchment bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to 1/4 HD (minimum +1). Only one such spear at a time. Creating a new one makes the old one to melt away.

At 10 HD it gains the ghost touch poperty.

At 14 HD it gains the Frost Property.

At 17 HD the Icy Burst Property.

At 20 HD any +2 weapon enanchment of the Ice Devil's choice, like Wounding, or Keen+Defending. This extra bonus may be changed whenever the Ice Devil makes a new spear.

Cold Rise: At 4th level the Ice Devil can use Fly as an SLA as a swift action 1/day for every HD it has.

Regeneration: At 4th level the Ice Devil gains regeneration equal to 1/2 it's HD, rounded down. An Ice Devil takes normal damage from good-aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

Ability Increase: The Ice Devil gains a permanent +1 to
Str at levels 4, 7, 10, 13
Con at levels 5, 8, 11, 13
Cha at levels 5, 9, 12, 13

For a total of +4 Str, +4 Con, +4 Cha at level 13.

Fear Aura: At 5th level the Ice Devil can radiate a 5 foot per HD radius fear aura as a free action. An oponent in the area must succeed on a DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell with CL equal to HD. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same ice devil’s aura for 24 hours. The Ice devil can exclude allies from this effect.

At 12 HD this affects even oponents immune to fear, but they gain a +5 bonus on their saves.

Growth:At 6th level the Ice Devil grows one size category, and also grows a powerfull tail that can deliver a tail slap dealing 3d6+1/2 Str damage. It gains all the related bonus and penalties for size change, except its ability scores and natural armor don't change.

Slowing Blows:At 6th level, whenever the Ice Devil hits an oponent with it's tail or Hell Talon, it must make a Fort save with DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod or be Slowed as the Slow spell for 1d6 rounds. This ignores freedom of movement effects.

Cold Battlefield: At 7th level the Ice Devil can use Ice Wall and Ice Storm 1/day for every 3 HD it has. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod. Its Ice Storm deals 1d6 damage per CL instead of the normal damage, half cold and half bludgeoding.

No Rest for the Wicked: At 8th level the Ice Devil promises terrible punishments to its minions that dare to fall in battle. Any summoned creatures gain regeneration equal to the Ice Devil's own. If they already had regeneration, add them both.

The summons are also now immune to fear, fatigue and exhaustion.

You've failed me for the last time: At 8th level, whenever one of the Ice Devil summons misses a melee attack against an oponent they both threaten, the Ice Devil may sacrifice the summon as a free action to create a distraction that allows it to perform a new melee attack as a free action against said oponent. The summon dies in a specially gory way regardless of defences, but all other summons from the Ice Devil gain a moral bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to the Ice Devil's Cha mod for 1 round per HD.

Cold Assault: At 9th level the Ice Devil can use Cone of Cold and Teleport each 1/day for each 3 HD it has. At 13 HD the teleport automatically upgrades to greater teleport. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+Cha mod. The Cone of Cold has no damage cap.

In adition, creatures failing the save against its cone of Cold are Entangled for 1 round per HD. If they suceed on the save, they're Entangled for just one round.

Tactical Devil: at 10th level, the Ice Devil can exclude any allies it wishes from any of it's area effects when it uses them, such as Cone of Cold and Ice Storm.

In adition, it may use Aid Another as a free action a total number of times per round equal to it's Cha mod, and may do so in any ally whitin 5 feet per HD, whitout needing to be near anyone specific.

Cold Mirage: at 11th level the Ice Devil may use Persistent Image as a SLA 1/day for every 2 HD it has. Save DC is 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

In adition, any creature disbelieving or seeing trough the Ice Devil's Persistent Image takes 1d4 cold damage per CL.

Expendable Sacrifice: At 12th level, the Ice Devil may sacrifice an adjacent summon whitin 5 feet per HD as an immediate action to gain one of the following
-Bonus to attack rolls, DR, resistances, saves, skill checks, AC and damage rolls equal to the HD of the sacrificed summon for 1 round.
-Inflict a penalty to AC or a single skill to an adjacent oponent equal to half the HD of the sacrificed summon for 1 round.
-Inflict a penalty to the last d20 rolled by an adjacent oponent equal to the HD of the sacrificed summon, after the result is known (this may cause the action to fail).
-Grant all remaining summons a bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to the HD of the sacrificed summon for 1 round.

The summon is destroyed regardless of it's defences.

This isn't necessarily the Ice Devil turning the minion in raw energy to gain the effect. It could also be the Ice Devil ordering the minion to perform a sudden suicidical action to gain the advantage, or a genius maneuver set up in advance whitout anyone else noticing, wich ends up sacrificing the minion as part of it.

Cold Aura: At 13th level the Ice Devil can use Unholy Aura as a SLA 1/day for every HD it has, except that the Strenght damage applies to any attacker, not just good ones. Save DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

Uttercold: At 13th level, the Ice devil may curse its magic with the agony of the souls tormented in Hell. Anytime it uses an SLA that causes cold damage, it may choose for half the cold damage to be negative energy.

In addition, both the cold and negative energy damage from the Ice Devil's SLAs can't be healed by any means unless the victim is inside the effect of an Hallow spell.

Finally, oponents struck by the Ice Devil's Cone of Cold receive one negative level.

Comments

The Ice Devil is suposed to be the frontline commander of the legions of Hell. While Pit Fiends are the true masters, they aren't numerous enough to keep everybody in check, so it's the relatively more common Ice Devils that lead from the front

I took that aproach on this monster class, giving it a semi-spammable summon for geting troops, and then several options to sacrifice said summons for fun and profit gaining tactical advantages during battle.

Besides that, the Ice Devil sports several enanched cold-based SLAs, plenty of natural attacks and the powerfull ability to inflict slow with its tail, and eventually with a custom spear.

Other Monster classes on this thread:
NightWalker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11036676&postcount=5)
Ulgurstasta (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11049895&postcount=7)

Mystic Muse
2011-05-17, 06:54 PM
I think the abilities should be bolded instead of italics. It'll make things easier to read.
My critiques are mostly critiques on formatting. Sorry that I'm not being much help on the actual class. I don't have a ton of experience in 3.5 games. However, making it easier to read will help others critique it. Hopefully I am helping instead of just making it easier for me to read.

Creeping shadow:At third level, the Nightwalker can begin to manipulate light and shadow, gaining the ability to use Deeper Darkness, Invisibility and See Invisibility as SLAs, each 1/day per HD.

The Deeper Darkness SLA of the NightWalker counts as having a level equal to half the NightWalker's HD for purposes of countering/dispelling light spells.

Not sure how to change this, but it reads kind of awkwardly.

Stalking Shadow:At 5th level the NightWalker can use Contagion, Haste and Dispel Magic as SLAs, each 1/day for each 2HD. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier.

Master shadow:At 11th level the NightWalker can use Confusion and Hold Monster as SLAs 1/day for every 4 HD it has. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier.

Crushing shadow:At 13th level the NightWalker can use Planeshift and Shadow Walk as SLAs 1/day for every 5 HD. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+Cha mod.

Unstopable shadow: At 15h level the NightWalker can use Finger of Death as a SLA 1/day for every 6 HD it has, except that it also affects creatures immune to Death effects, including other undead, which are reduced to dust. Those creatures gain +5 on their saves to resist this however. Save DC is 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

I suggest changing these to 1/day per X HD where X is whatever is listed in the ability.

Darkness Fist: at 12th level, whenever the NightWalker hits an opponent with its slam attack, it may spend one of his Deeper Darkness as a free action on that opponent to cover his eyes with pitch black, making it become blind for 10 min per HD. A reflex save with DC 10+1/2HD+Str mod prevents the blindness.

I suggest rephrasing this to this

Darkness Fist: at 12th level, whenever the NightWalker hits an opponent with its slam attack, it may spend one use of its Deeper Darkness SLA as a free action. Unless the opponent succeeds on a reflex save DC10+1/2HD+Strength modifier he is blinded.

Growth: At 6th and 12th level of this class the NightWalker grows one size category.

If all levels of the NightWalker were taken, it grows one more size category upon reaching 18 HD.

I suggest changing this to this. Unless you intended for him to get the ability score boosts, which I advise against. Also, I advise putting Sudden Darkness before Growth

Growth: At 6th level the NightWalker grows to large size. At 12th level it grows to huge, and at 18 HD it grows to Gargantuan.

His AC, bonus to hit, base damage, grapple and skills Change accordingly, but he doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties.

Consuming Shadow: At 7th level the NightWalker can use Unholy Blight 1/day per 3 HD, except that it affects creatures of all alignments except evil undead like they were good creatures, and it has no Maximum damage limit.

Suggest rephrasing to this.

Consuming Shadow: At 7th level the NightWalker can use Unholy Blight 1/day per 3 HD, except that it affects creatures of all alignments except evil undead. This SLA has no Maximum damage limit.

Overwhelming shadow:At 9th level the NightWalker can use Cone of Cold as a SLA 1/day for every 4 HD it has, except that it has no Maximum damage, and oponents are entangled for 1 round per HD if they fail their saves, or for 1 round if they suceed on their saves.

Overwhelming shadow:At 9th level the NightWalker can use Cone of Cold as a SLA 1/day Per 4 HD. This SLA has no Maximum damage. Affected oponents are entangled for 1 round per HD unless they succed on a DC 10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier reflex save. Even if an opponent makes their save, they are still entangled for one round.

Nightmare: at 9th level the NightWalker can fly with poor maneuverability at half its land speed, and gains SR equal to 11+HD.

This needs clarification. If his land speed is suddenly boosted somehow is his fly speed boosted too? What if its a temporary boost instead of a permanent one?

Desecrating Aura: At 10th level a NightWalker gives off a 20-foot radius emanation of utter desecration, imbuing their surroundings with negative energy. This ability works much like a desecrate spell, except that the nightshade’s evil is so great that it is treated as the shrine of an evil power. All undead within 20 feet of the nightshade (including the creature itself) gain a +2 profane bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws, and +2 hit points per HD. Charisma checks made to turn undead within this area take a -6 penalty. Is this +2 HP per HD of the Nightwalker or the HD each undead in the aura? Like one with 2 HD would get 4 HP, one with 4 would get 8? It's an important distinction.

A nightwalker's desecrating aura cannot be dispelled, but its suppressed if a nightwalker enters a consecrated or hallowed area, altough the nightwalker's presence also suppresses the consecrated or hallowed effect for as long as it remains in the area.
This just needs rephrased. How about this instead?

A nightwalker's desecrating aura cannot be dispelled, but it is suppressed if a nightwalker enters a consecrated or hallowed area. The nightwalker's presence also suppresses the consecrated or hallowed effect for as long as it remains in the area.

Megawizard
2011-05-19, 12:45 PM
Changed abilities to bolded if you insist it makes such a diference.

Not sure how to change this, but it reads kind of awkwardly.

If you're not sure how to word it better,

I suggest changing these to 1/day per X HD where X is whatever is listed in the ability.

I believe that would make it more awkward to read, not better.

I suggest rephrasing this to this

Darkness Fist: at 12th level, whenever the NightWalker hits an opponent with its slam attack, it may spend one use of its Deeper Darkness SLA as a free action. Unless the opponent succeeds on a reflex save DC10+1/2HD+Strength modifier he is blinded.

It does read better, thanks!

I suggest changing this to this. Unless you intended for him to get the ability score boosts, which I advise against. Also, I advise putting Sudden Darkness before Growth

Clarified that the player doesn't get the ability score boosts.

Consuming Shadow: At 7th level the NightWalker can use Unholy Blight 1/day per 3 HD, except that it affects creatures of all alignments except evil undead. This SLA has no Maximum damage limit.

Overwhelming shadow:At 9th level the NightWalker can use Cone of Cold as a SLA 1/day Per 4 HD. This SLA has no Maximum damage. Affected oponents are entangled for 1 round per HD unless they succed on a DC 10+1/2HD+Charisma modifier reflex save. Even if an opponent makes their save, they are still entangled for one round.

Ok.

This needs clarification. If his land speed is suddenly boosted somehow is his fly speed boosted too? What if its a temporary boost instead of a permanent one?

Clarified its fly speed is boosted when base speed is boosted. As for temporary vs permanent, I believe its pretty obvious that if the bonus ends the fly speed also resets to normal. Don't a wizard's spells get weaker when he takes out that circlet of intelegence? Isn't the fighter's HP reduced when he takes out the amulet of health?

Is this +2 HP per HD of the Nightwalker or the HD each undead in the aura? Like one with 2 HD would get 4 HP, one with 4 would get 8? It's an important distinction.

Good point, clarified it.

This just needs rephrased. How about this instead?

A nightwalker's desecrating aura cannot be dispelled, but it is suppressed if a nightwalker enters a consecrated or hallowed area. The nightwalker's presence also suppresses the consecrated or hallowed effect for as long as it remains in the area.

I'll trust your grammar skills. Thanks for the help!

Mystic Muse
2011-05-19, 12:48 PM
Changed abilities to bolded if you insist it makes such a difference. I really think it does. It's easier to tell where one ability ends and another begins.

Clarified its fly speed is boosted when base speed is boosted. As for temporary vs permanent, I believe its pretty obvious that if the bonus ends the fly speed also resets to normal. Don't a wizard's spells get weaker when he takes out that circlet of intelegence? Isn't the fighter's HP reduced when he takes out the amulet of health?

I mean I was wondering whether temporary boosts would affect it at all as opposed to something more permanent like a Monk's speed boost. That's all. Was probably a stupid question now that I think about it.

I believe that would make it more awkward to read, not better.

Then could you change the ones that say "1/day per X HD" to the other version for the sake of consistency?

I'll trust your grammar skills. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome:smallsmile:

EDIT: the ability boosts says it boosts strength every level, but then says the strength boost is only +14. I know it's nitpicking, but that still should be changed.

Megawizard
2011-05-21, 06:26 AM
NightWalker
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG196.jpg

HD:d12
{table]Level| Bab| Fort| Ref| Will| Feature
1| +0 |+0|+0|+2| Darkness Body, Daylight Aversion, Chilling Blow, +1 Str
2| +1 |+0|+0|+3| Darkness Skin, +1 Str
3| +1|+ 1| +1|+3|Creeping Shadow, +1 Str
4| +2|+ 1| +1|+4| Evil Gaze, +1 Cha, +1 Str
5| +2|+ 1| +1|+4| Stalking Shadow,+1 Str
6| +3|+ 2| +2|+5|Growth, Sudden Darkness, +1 Str
7| +3|+ 2| +2|+5| Consuming Shadow, +1 Str
8| +4|+ 2| +2|+6| Summon Darkness, +1 Cha, +1 Str
9| +4|+ 3| +3|+6| Overwhelming Shadow, Nightmare,+1 Str
10| +5|+3| +3|+7|Desecrating Aura, +1 Str
11| +5|+ 3| +3|+7|Master Shadow, +1 Cha,+1 Str
12| +6|+ 4| +4|+8|Growth, Darkness Fist, +1 Str
13| +6|+ 4| +4|+8|Crushing Shadow, +1 Cha, +1 Str
14| +7|+ 4| +5|+9| Crush, +1 Str
15| +7|+ 5| +5|+9| Unstopable shadow, +1 Cha, +1 Str
16| +8|+ 5| +5|+10|Eclipse, +1 Str, +1 Cha
[/table]
Skills:2+int modifier per level, quadruple at firt level, No class skills.

Proficiencies:The Nightwalker is proficient only with its own natural weapons
Features:

Nightwalker Body: a NightWalker loses all other racial modifiers and gains the following undead traits
* No Constitution score.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
* Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
* Heals naturaly.
* Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
* Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
* Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
* Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

The NightWalker is a medium sized undead with two natural slam attacks dealing 1d6+Str modifier damage each and base speed 40 feet. The NightWalker takes no penalty for attacking with both claws at the same time. Any class levels the NightWalker takes have their HD increased to d12.

In addition, a NightWalker gains a Natural armor bonus equal to it's Charisma modifier.

NightWalkers cannot speak, but they have telepathy out to 20', with an additional 5 feet per HD

Daylight Aversion: If exposed to natural daylight (not merely a daylight spell), a NightWalker take a -4 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks. The nightwalker can avoid this penalty by wearing a cloak or some other sort of heavy cloaking.

In return, a Nightwalker gains +1 to attack rollls, saving throws and skill checks while in an area of darkness. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 HD of the Nightwalker.

Chilling Blow:The NightWalker may temporarily paralyze parts of an oponent's body, or force them to drop what they're carrying Whenever the NightShade hits an opponent with one of their slam attacks, they may choose to deal half damage and prevent the oponent from using one of his natural weapons for 1 round (NightWalker's choice), or perform a disarm atempt as a free action.

Darkness Skin:At 2nd level, the NightWalker gains DR/Silver and a bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks equal to half their HD, plus resistance to cold equal to their full HD.

At 6th level it improves to DR/Silver and magic

Ability Increase: The Nightwalker gains a permanent +1 to Str at all levels and +1 to Cha at levels 4, 8, 11, 13, 15, 16, for a total of +14 Str and +6 Cha at level 16.

Creeping shadow:At third level, the Nightwalker can begin to manipulate light and shadow, gaining the ability to use Deeper Darkness, Invisibility and See Invisibility as SLAs, each 1/day per HD.

The Deeper Darkness SLA of the NightWalker counts as having a level equal to half the NightWalker's HD for purposes of countering/dispelling light spells.

Evil Gaze:. At 4th level, as a standard action, the NightWalker may look directly into an opponent within 30 feet, which must succeed on a DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod Will save or be paralyzed with fear for 1 round. Whether or not the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by the same NightWalker’s gaze for 24 hours.

This is a gaze attack subject to all the normal flaws and drawbacks of this kind of attack, plus that it targets a single creature and needs a standard action to use.

At 8 HD the NightWalker may use this as a move action.

At 12 HD it can affect creatures normally immune to fear, but they gain a +5 bonus on their saves.

At 16 HD this becomes a full power gaze attack, affecting all whitin 30 feet of the NightWalker whitout need of actions.

Stalking Shadow:At 5th level the NightWalker can use Contagion, Haste and Dispel Magic as SLAs, each 1/day for each 2HD. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier.

At 10 HD the NightWalker's contagion can affect even creatures immune to disease, but they gain a +5 bonus on their Fortitude saves to resist it.

At 11HD the Dispel Magic upgrades to Greater Dispel Magic.

Growth: At 6th and 12th level of this class the NightWalker grows one size category. It gains all the related bonus and penalties, except its ability scores and natural armor don't change.

If all levels of the NightWalker were taken, it grows one more size category upon reaching 18 HD.

Sudden Darkness: At 6th level, the Nightwalker can use Deeper Darkness as an immediate action.

Against actual creatures of good alignment, it counts them as good outsiders.

Against actual good outsiders, it deals 1d8 damage per caster level.

Summon Darkness:at 8th level the NightWalker can summon forth 1d2 shadows 1/hour as a standard action. They arrive instantly and serve for 1 minute per HD. Undead summoned this way can never spawn other undead.

At 10 HD the NightWalker may summon 1d4 shadows or 1d2 Wraiths instead.

At 12 HD the nightwalker may summon 1d6 shadows, 1d4 Wraiths or 1d2 Greater shadows instead.

At 14 HD the nightwalker may summon 1d8 shadows, 1d6 Wraiths, 1d4 Greater shadows or 1d2 Dread Wraiths

At 16 HD the summoned Undead can deal half ability damage/drain to oponents normally immune to it.

Nightmare: at 9th level the NightWalker can fly with poor maneuverability at half its land speed, and gains SR equal to 11+HD. Any changes to its base speed also alter its fly speed.

Desecrating Aura: At 10th level a NightWalker gives off a 20-foot radius emanation of utter desecration, imbuing their surroundings with negative energy. This ability works much like a desecrate spell, except that the nightshade’s evil is so great that it is treated as the shrine of an evil power. All undead within 20 feet of the nightshade (including the creature itself) gain a +2 profane bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws, and +2 hit points per HD of the affected undead. Charisma checks made to turn undead within this area take a -6 penalty.

Master shadow:At 11th level the NightWalker can use Confusion and Hold Monster as SLAs 1/day for every 4 HD it has. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier.

Darkness Fist: at 12th level, whenever the NightWalker hits an opponent with its slam attack, it may spend one of his Deeper Darkness as a free action on that opponent to cover his eyes with pitch black, making it become blind for 10 min per HD. A reflex save with DC 10+1/2HD+Str mod prevents the blindness.

Crushing shadow:At 13th level the NightWalker can use Planeshift and Shadow Walk as SLAs 1/day for every 5 HD. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+Cha mod.

Crush:At 14th level a NightWalker can destroy any weapon or item at least one size category smaller than itself (even magic ones, but not artifacts) by picking it up and crushing it between its hands. The nightwalker must make a successful disarm attempt to grab an item held by an opponent. The item is entitled to a DC 10+1/2HD+Str modifier Fortitude save to resist destruction.

If it fails, it's crushed into fine diamond powder worth the same amount as the destroyed item.

This also allows the NightWalker's to automatically destroy lasting magical effects (even ones such as a Wall of Force) by hitting them with his Slam attack and spending one of his Greater Dispel Magic uses.

Unstopable shadow: At 15h level the NightWalker can use Finger of Death as a SLA 1/day for every 6 HD it has, except that it also affects creatures immune to Death effects, including other undead, which are reduced to dust. Those creatures gain +5 on their saves to resist this however. Save DC is 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

Eclipse:At 16th level, 1/day as a standard action, the NightWalker can block the very Sun (or whatever main source of light illuminates the current plane it is on) on top of smoothering all other light sources by covering them with pitch black. Mundane fires, lanterns and the like grow dark (but aren't actually put out) and even magic sources of of light are suppressed unless they're from artifacts. This means the NightWalker and other creatures that are normally vulnerable to daylight take no penalty for the duration of the eclipse, wich lasts 10 minutes per HD.

Spells with the light descriptor of 8th level or lower are automatically countered/dispelled on a radius of 1 mile per HD centered on the NightWalker during the duration of the Eclipse.

Finally, during the Eclipse, all the bonus from the Desecrating Aura becomes equal to the Nightwalker's HD/2, its area increases to a radius of 5 feet per HD, and the penalty to turning increases to -10.

Comments:

In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you! :p

Ahem, the Nightwalker is a shaddow-focused undead, altough it itself is corporeal, and instead of ability damage/drain it focuses on breaking stuff up.

At first level you've got a disarmer/sunderer that's also usefull against weaponless oponents. As the NightWalker grows it unlocks DR, some skill bonuses, a wide variety of SLAs focusing on stealth and debuffing/disabling, size increases, minions, flight, SR and some other goodies, making for a quite versatile monster. I buffed some of the more limited SLAs to give it some extra punch.

The signature ability, Crush can also be used to break down Walls of Force and the like, and I gave it Shaddow walk because it seems to fit.

As a capstone you can literally cover the land in darkness for some hours, allowing you and your minions to spread terror unchecked by pesky daylight.

Megawizard
2011-05-21, 06:28 AM
Added the Ulgurstasta to the first post.

Megawizard
2011-05-23, 10:47 AM
Ulgurstasta
http://aow-old-schizm.wikispaces.com/file/view/Ulgurstasta.jpg/30506471/Ulgurstasta.jpg

HD:d12
{table]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Ulgurstata body, Improved Grab, Acid breath, +2 Str
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Tendrils, Incorporate Magic, +1 Str
3|+1|+1|+1|+3| Growth, Swallow Whole, +1 Str
4|+2|+1| +1|+4| Maggot Flesh, Acid Maw, +1 Str
5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Spawn Skeleton, +1 Str
6|+3|+2|+2 |+5|Growth, Acid Spit +1 Str
7|+3|+2|+2|+5| Necromantic Acid, +1 Str
8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Consume Memory, Corrode, +1 Str
9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Growth , Devouring Maw, +1 Str
10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Acid Coating, Necrobolism, +1 Str
11|+5|+3|+3|+7|Putrid Assault, Kyuss Legacy, +1 Str
[/table]
2 Skill points+Int mod per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills: none.

Proficiencies:its own natural weapons only.

Features:
Ulgurstata Body: The Ulgurstata loses all other racial bonuses, and gains the following Undead traits.

* No Constitution score.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
* Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
* Heals naturaly.
* Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
* Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
* Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
* Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.
The NightWalker is a medium sized undead with two natural slam attacks dealing 1d6+Str modifier damage each and base speed 40 feet. The NightWalker takes no penalty for attacking with both claws at the same time. Any class levels the NightWalker takes have their HD increased to d12.

It is a medium sized undead with a bite attack dealing 1d8+1,5 Str mod and base speed 40 feet. It is unable to speak or peform fine manipulation of any kind, altough it can perform basic body communication with its flexible body.

In addition, it gains a bonus to natural armor equal to 2+Str mod and resistance to acid and cold equal to its HD.

Improved Grab: If an Ulgurstadta hits an opponent with a bite attack, it deals normal damage and can attempt to start a grapple as a free action whitout provoking an attack of opportunity. Thereafter, the Ulgurstasta has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simple use its bite to hold the opponent (-20 penalty on grapple check, but the ulgurstasta is not considered grappled). In either case, each successful grapple check it makes during sucessive rounds automatically deals bite damage.

At 7 HD the Ulgurstatsta ignores Freedom of Movement effects with Improved Grab.

Acid Breath: An Ulgurstadta's stomach is filled with powerfull acids, giving it four Acid charges per HD. As a standard action, it can vomit part of them, affecting a cone of 5 feet plus 5 feet per HD (so 10 feet at first level) that deals 1d6 acid damage per four Acid Charge spent. Reflex save DC 10+1/2HD+Str mod for half. The Ulgurstadta recovers Acid Charges at the rate of 1 per HD every round.

Ability Increase: An Ulgurstadta gains +2 Str at first level, and then +1 Str at every other level of this class, for a total of +12 Str at 11th level.

Tendrils: At 2nd level the millions of pores on an ulgurstata's body provide it with a deadly defense. Each pore contains a coiled, hair-thin tendril with a length equal to the Ulgurstadta face size. As an immediate action, the Ulgurstata can extend them to their ful range and make them whip about in a frenzy. This storm of tendrils grants a bonus to the AC of the Ulgurstasta's equal to twice its HD against ranged attacks, even magic ones like rays and orbs. In addition natural 20s on ranged attacks no longer automatically hit the Ulgurstata.

In addition, creatures on the range of the tendrils take 1d4 slashing damage every and a -1 penalty on attack rolls from the endless flaying of the tendrils every round. At 5 HD, and again every other five HD, this damage increases by an extra 1d4 and the penlty increases by an extra -1.

The DC of Concentration checks to cast spells/SLAs defensively, or other actions that demand concentration or a skill check (like tumble) increases by an amount equal to the HD of the Ulgurstatsta while they're on the tendril area.

Puting the tendrils back in is another immediate action. Notice this affects allies as well.

Incorporate Magic: At 2nd level as a fullround action the Ulgurstatsta may eat an unatended piece of magic equipment, in wich case it is destroyed and it's essence incorporated into one the Ulgurstatsta's body granting the full benefits of the normal item. Magic weapons absorbed transfer their magic enanchments to the bite attack of the Ulgurstatsta in the form of extra exotic teeths. Magic armor appears on the form of extra scales. Any other equipment manifests on the form of exotic tendrils that clearly stand out from the rest. As usual equipment, bonus of the same type don't stack, and any penalties the item confers apply to the Ulgurstatsta as well. So assimilating an armor would give the armor's skill penalty and encubrance of said armor. Neither can the Ulgurstasta use this to bypass the normal magic item slot limitations (count it as having the same slots as a normal humanoid).

Basically, this ability allows the Ulgurstatsta to use equipment whitout it actually equiping it.

The incorporated items can be sundered/dispelled as normal magic items but cannot be disarmed. They can however be pulled off forcibly by suceeding on a touch attack that causes attacks of oportunity and winning a Strenght check against the Ulgurstatsta. Once ripped off, their magic essence can be easily be harvested back, meaning they're worth the same value as the original magic item.

Growth: At 3rd, 6th and 9th level the Ulgurstatsta grows one size category. Its bite attack reach is always equal to the size of its face. It gains all the related bonus and penalties, except its ability scores and natural armor don't change.

If all Ulgurstatsta levels were taken, it grows again at 12 HD. Notice it is not a long creature, having face/reach 10 at large, 15 at huge, 20 at gargantuan, 30 at colossal.

Swallow Whole: At 3rd level an Ulgurstatsta can swallow a single creature that is at least one size category smaller than itself by making a successful grapple check, provided it already had that opponent in its maw. Once inside the Ulgurstatsta, the creature is bathed in digestive fluids dealing 1d6 damage per two Acid Charges the Ulgurstatsta has remaining. A successful grapple check allows the swallowed creature to climb out of the stomach and return to the Ulgurstatsta's maw, where another successful grapple check is needed to get free. In alternative, the swallowed creature may try to cut its way out with either claws or a light piercing or slashing weapon. Dealing at least 3 damage per HD to the stomach (AC 10+1/2HD) in this way creates an opening large enough to permit escape. Once a single swallowed creature exits, muscular action closes the hole, thus, another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. An Ulgurstatsta's stomach can hold 2 creatures one size category smaller than itself, 8 two sizes smaller, 32 three sizes smaller, 128 four sizes smaller and so on.

At 7 HD the Ulgurstatsta ignores Freedom of Movement effects with its Swallow Whole ability.

Maggot Flesh:At 4th level, the Ulgurstatsta gains DR/piercing and magic equal to 1/2 its HD, and SR equal to 11+HD. It may lower or rise its SR as a free action at any time even if it isn't its turn.

Acid Maw: At 4th level, when it hits an oponent with its bite attack, the Ulgurstatsta may spend one Acid Charge as a free action to deal an extra amount of Acid damage equal to its HD to the target.

Spawn Skeletons: At 5th level, the Ulgurstasta's digestive acids start to develop necromantic properties. Creatures killed while inside the Ulgurstatsta stomach receive the Skeleton Template if aplicable and are automatically under the Ulgurstatsta's control. The skeletons remain dormant inside the Ulgurstatsta stomach untill regurgitated. To do this, the Ulgurstatsta must use its acid breath weapon as a fullround action, wich allows it to place any skeletons it had dormant anywhere inside the cone area. They act on the following round attacking the nearest creature other than the Ulgurstatsta itself, unless they receive other orders. They automatically understand the Ulgurstatsta intentions just by its body langugage.

The skeletons are also covered in acid when regurgitated, so for 1d6 rounds they deal an extra 1d6 acid damage with their attacks. The skeletons are immune to acid themselves, and may ride over the Ultragulsta if they're at least one size category smaller.

The Ulgurstatsta may also produce skeletons by swallowing corpses that had already been killed. The Ulgurstatsta may control up to 6 HD of skeleton for every HD it has itself. Any excess skeletons blindly attack anything on sight, including the Ulgurstatsta itself.

Acid Spit: At 6th level, as a standard action, the Ulgurstatsta may spend any number of Acid Charges to spit a blob of acid has a ranged touch attack. This attack has a range of 10 feet for every Acid Charge spent and deals 1d6 Acid damage, plus 1 Acid damage for every charge spent beyond first, plus entangling the target for 1 round. Flying creatures drop five feet for every Acid Charge spent. The blob of acid lingers on, forcing creatures hit to make a Reflex save at the beginning of each of their turns with DC 10+1/2 HD+Str mod or be entangled for the next round as well, plus taking the initial damage and droping from the skies again.

Necromantic Acid: At 7th level the Ulgurstatsta's acid becomes even more potent. Instead of dealing Acid damage, the Ulgurstatsta may choose to deal 1d6 Con damage for every 12 Acid Charges spent. Creatures swallowed automatically take 1d8 Con damage per round. Even creatures immune to ability damage take half this damage, unless they don't have a Con score at all.

In addition, skeletons regurgitated when Necromantic Acid is used deal 1 Con damage with their attacks for 1d6 rounds instead of the acid damage.

Consume Memory: At 8th level, the Ulgurstatsta becomes able to absorb memory fragments from the creature it consumes. When a creature dies while on its stomach, the Ulgurstatsta gains one skill point the creature had, and that skill becomes a Class Skill for the Ulgurstatsta. This doesn't allow to bypass the normal limit of skill points of HD +3 on a single skill. The Ulgurstatsta cannot gain more extra skill points this way than 6*(HD+3) total.

In addition, for every twelve creatures from wich the Ulgurstatsta consumes memories, its intelegence increases by 1. This increase can provide retroactive skill points unlike normal Int increases.

Corrode: At 8th level, when the Ulgurstatsta uses its breath attack, spit Acid or hits with a bite attack, it may release corroding acid to lower the target defenses by spending any amount of extra Acid Charges as a free action. Targets hit by the attack take a penalty to their AC and saves for 1d12 rounds depending on the attack used and the number of charges spent

Bite=> -1 for every 3 Acid Charges spent.
Acid Breath=> -1 for every 10 Acid Charges spent.
Acid Spit=> -1 for every 6 Acid Charges spent.

Devouring Maw: At 9th level, the Ulgurstatsta may try to eat several creatures at once. When targeting a creature smaller than itself with its bite attack, the Ulgurstatsta may also target any adjacent creatures to the first target that are also smaller than the Ulgurstatsta. Roll only once for all the targets. Creatures hit can be subjected to improved grab, swallow whole, acid maw and any other abilities that may trigger with the bite attack.

Acid Coating: At 10th level the Ulgurtatsta becomes completely immune to acid and cold. It may expend a number of Acid Charges up to its HD as a swift action to either gain +1 enanchment bonus to Str or +5 feet enanchment bonus to all movement speeds for each Acid Charge spent this way for 1 round.

Necrobolism: At 10th level as a free action the Ulgurstasta may double its Acid Charges regeneration rate for 1 minure, but after that it becomes unable to recover Acid Charges for 1 hour.

Putrid Assault: At 11th level, when the Ulgurtstatsta regurgitates skeletons and places them adjacent to other creatures in the cone area, the skeletons may immediatily make one attack against a creatures and count as charging for that attack.

In addition, for 1d6 rounds (roll only once for this and the extra acid/Con damage) the regurgitated skeletons benefit from all benefical magic effects affecting the Ulgurstatsta itself, including those from Incorporate magic.

Kyuss Legacy: The Ulgurstatsta was created by a mad and powerthirsty necromancer as an almost mindless, mobile skeleton factory, but it quickly proved to be much more than that as it developed an intelegence of its own. An intelegence that never stoped growing, and eventually allows it to learn how to use the necromantic energies coursing trough its body.

If all Ulgurstatsta levels were taken and then multiclasses into a caster class, it may count levels from this class for purposes of total Caster Level, new spell slots and new spells per day gained, but doesn't retroactively grants older spell slots and spells known.

In addition if the Ulgurstatsta multiclasses into a spontaneous casting class, it casts Necromancy spells with +2 CL and such spells no longer have CL limits on their effects.

Comments

The Ulgurstatsta is a massive maggot that eats people, turns them into skeletons and then spits them back out with concentrated gastric juices. Not pretty, but has a powerfull cool factor.

Thus I focused on the whole “super digestive juice aspect”. Many of the Ulgurstatsta abilities run around its personal Acid Charges resource, wich needs to be spent to activate them and then regenerates itself at good rate. Yes the original monster could only “vomit” once a day, but that's kinda limited to a player. Specially because once you vomit you're kinda just reduced to biting people. One bite per turn.

As secondary focus “giant maggot”, growing sizes pretty fast while munching on people and shrugging off ranged attacks with tendrils. You're no longer fully immune to projectiles, but it now works against magic as well, a fair trade I believe. Also lv1 kobolds won't threaten you at 11th level as natural 20s on their crossbows won't hit you anymore.

Another subtheme is munching on other people's memories, wich I translated as gaining skill points. The Ulgurstatsta has pretty damn good skills after all, for something that its suposed to start with Int 1. And as capstone you get some caster synergy in acordance with the fluff text.

Megawizard
2011-05-23, 10:48 AM
Added the Ice Devil to the 1st post.

VonDoom
2011-05-23, 11:12 AM
Ice Devils are among the most cunning non-unique fiends of the Nine Hells, which is probably why they originally (in 2nd ed) were second only to the Pit Fiends. The lack of Int bonuses makes me sad.