PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Character Traits(Cyclical world, World Specific)

Shade Kerrin
2011-05-17, 06:54 PM
For a while, I've been building on the home-brew world I have been running a game in, and as at now, I have reached a moment where I actually need to design some mechanics. This seemed like the best place to flesh it out.

The core of the idea is that this is a circular world, which resets itself once every 1000 years - though with certain variations. In each cycle, a certain aspect of the world is prevalent. In the current cycle, for example, everyone is inherently magical on some level, allowing them to make - and use - magic items on a level assumed by the default setting. However, characters from previous cycles will soon become playable, and need their own unique traits to compensate.

Trait:

Whenever you attempt to make use of a magical item, you must roll a character level check against the DC given by the item in the table below. Failing this check either indicates that you may not gain the benefits of the item for 24 hours, and that a charge is spent with no effect(if the item has a limited usage per day). Success indicates that the item may be used normally for the next 24 hours.
You also gain SR of 15+your character level. This may not be willingly lowered.
Special: A fair number of magic items have lesser and greater versions of themselves. If you fail the check for such an item, but would have passed for a lesser version, you gain the lesser version's benefits for the 24-hour duration. Such items are indicated on the table.

Other cycles that shall be worked on here:
Investigator's cycle: Abilities that improve their ability to delve through secrets, or an ability to partially replicate the strengths of the other cycles.
Sound Body cycle: Abilities that improve their physical capacities
Strong Mind cycle: Abilities that improve their mental capacities. Since no-one has shown any interest in playing with Psionics, I will probably deploy it here.
Technical cycle: Abilities relating to tech.

If possible, I would like to ask for a couple more ideas on cycles.

Shade Kerrin
2011-05-17, 06:55 PM
Whenever you attempt to make use of a magical item, you must roll a character level check against the DC given by the item in the table below. Failing this check either indicates that you may not gain the benefits of the item for 24 hours, and that a charge is spent with no effect(if the item has a limited usage per day). Success indicates that the item may be used normally for the next 24 hours.
In return, you may choose one of the benefits listed below.
You also gain SR of 15+your character level. This may not be willingly lowered.
Special: A fair number of magic items have lesser and greater versions of themselves. If you fail the check for such an item, but would have passed for a lesser version, you gain the lesser version's benefits for the 24-hour duration. Such items are indicated on the table.

{table]Item|DC|Special
Magic Weapons|11+2X1|X=effective total enhancement value. Non - +X traits lost first
Magic Armor|11+2X1|X=effective total enhancement value. Non - +X traits lost first
-- of Stat +2|15|
-- of Stat +41|20|
-- of Stat +61|24|
Tome of Stat+X1|25+X|Rolled only once, on successful reading
-- of Resistance+X1|10+2X|
-- of Armor+X1|10+X|
non-armor AC boost1|10+2X|
Spell Completion item|15+Spell Level|Normal requirements still apply
Spell Trigger item|10+Spell Level|Normal requirements still apply[/table]
1:Item can scale to a lesser version

Shade Kerrin
2011-05-17, 06:56 PM