PDA

View Full Version : "Goblins" the Chief's Spear

Nightmarenny
2011-05-18, 02:10 AM
I'm DMing a campaign with a character thats going for a Master Thrower build. I'd like to give her a weapon similar to the Chiefs Spear in "Goblins". I'd like some opinions on how you might represent that. I figure its either multiple weaker attacks at a penalty to hit or high damage dice with a reflex save.

PoorHobo
2011-05-18, 02:13 AM
You got a link to a peticular comic so that those that don't read it can look at it?

Nightmarenny
2011-05-18, 02:30 AM
Here's its intro (http://www.goblinscomic.com/08062006/)

And here's it in action (http://www.goblinscomic.com/05092007/)

Basically its a spear with a custom enhancement. It makes it to brittle to use as a melee weapon. Fluff-wise, when thrown it divides into several spears, hit the targets and then reform into the throwers hand.

Darwin
2011-05-18, 02:43 AM
Sounds like a Splitting Returning weapon to me.

Lvl45DM!
2011-05-18, 02:54 AM
The goblins reaction to it when thrown 'woah look at it go' seems to imply that it has distance as well

Eldan
2011-05-18, 03:50 AM
There's no rules for "too brittle to use in melee", as far as I know, but I'd probably call it a javelin: it's a ranged weapon and has a -4 on attack rolls when used in melee. Plus, it flies the farthest of all spears.

Draconi Redfir
2011-05-18, 04:04 AM
According to Thunt on livestream, the spear only returns to the user after two things occur.

1. The spear reaches a certain speed
And 2. The spear actually hits something.

Or something likes that. Basically if you were to drop the spear down a bottomless pit, you would never get it back. Likewise if you only dropped it about two feet it wouldn’t reform in your hands.

Also i think the wont divide unless it's gotten to a certain speed / gone a certain distance. not too sure.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-18, 07:59 AM
well, you would get the spear back, as things still accelerate in abottomless pit, they just never hit the bottom.

also, it dosen't have reduced damage (http://www.goblinscomic.com/08062006/), considering it went through near to the end into a stone wall. (pannel 4)

I'd say it's a range enhanced, splitting, returing + 3 thrown spear. with the splitting/returning effects enhanced.

It's too long to be a javeling, but it's flight seems to be powered by magic (rediculous penetrative power, speed and distance) so + 3 seems about right as to make it not to over-powered (2 artefacts in a 4th level party is a bit...) and it'd be a fun weapon to use

Draconi Redfir
2011-05-18, 08:06 AM
well, you would get the spear back, as things still accelerate in abottomless pit, they just never hit the bottom.

i know, but what i'm saying is that it needs to hit something in order for it to return to the user. So unless one of those spears hits the wall of the pit, you ain't getting that thing back.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-18, 03:29 PM
But it will inevitably hit a wall at some point since it is impossible to drop it straight down the bottomless pit without it going at an angle. It simply couldn't be perfectly balanced enough or even dropped right.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-18, 03:52 PM
The chief's spear also crackled with lightning when thrown. I think it's a splitting shocking returning javelin.

Tiniere
2011-05-18, 06:28 PM
Isn't that part of the Chief's Individual magic effect or something though? So it happens when ever he interacts with magic?

Lateral
2011-05-18, 06:32 PM
No, that only affects the color for them; they're low-level. It's part of the spear.

Nightmarenny
2011-05-18, 07:03 PM
Which book is splitting in?

Lvl45DM!
2011-05-18, 07:07 PM
I dunno i think the lightning is just a dramatization of the splitting

Lateral
2011-05-18, 07:16 PM
Which book is splitting in?
Champions of Ruin, I believe, but I think it's in another, less obscure supplement too.

I dunno i think the lightning is just a dramatization of the splitting
There is lightning coming from the spear. I doubt it's there just to look cool.

Draconi Redfir
2011-05-19, 04:38 AM
i dont see why it cant. The spear splits and gives off some sparks. i mean we havent seen anything act electrocuted or become surrounded by the lightning when hit by the spear did we?

Yuki Akuma
2011-05-19, 04:47 AM
It's probably Teleporting, not Returning.

Because it teleports back to his hand rather than flying through the air back to his hand. :smalltongue: Trust me, there's a difference.

Cieyrin
2011-05-19, 09:17 AM
It's probably Teleporting, not Returning.

Because it teleports back to his hand rather than flying through the air back to his hand. :smalltongue: Trust me, there's a difference.

Teleporting is the far cooler version, anyways. :smalltongue: