PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for a homebrew prestige class (for a ranger/cleric). Pls help.

Volfogg
2011-05-18, 09:35 PM
Hi All,

First time posting here (long time lurker). So, first off, I would like to say hello!

Now, on to my question. I am currently running a game and have need of a prestige class. Specifically, I am need of a prestige class which requires a character to be a ranger/cleric of some kind or another. Normally I would cobble something together myself, however. I am kinda running low on ye ol' creative mojo and thought that I would cast my net in the hopes of finding something that I could use. So I come before you all humbly to ask for some help in this endeavor. If you have something that fits with what I am in need of please feel free to post it here.

Just in case, here is what I am looking for:
10 level prestige class
the prestige class must combine ranger and cleric in some manner
non evil
the prestige class should continue spellcasting (either 9/10 or 8/10)

Any and all suggestions/comments/links are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Volf

Veklim
2011-05-19, 05:42 AM
An undead hunter INSTANTLY comes to mind, you'd want it to stack up for favoured enemy (undead of course) and turning, probably with slightly reduced spellcasting (drop 2 or 3 levels over 10) but give extra bonuses and combat abilities in compensation. Looking at D8, 4+int skills, good fort and will, full BAB. Probably wanna start with playing around with damage types for each combat style, getting favoured enemy damage vs. undead (there's a feat and/or spell for this, consider finding and combining?) and being able to wear medium armour without the ranger abilities penalties.
Might actually crunch some numbers if you like the sound...?

Volfogg
2011-05-19, 08:46 AM
An undead hunter INSTANTLY comes to mind, you'd want it to stack up for favoured enemy (undead of course) and turning, probably with slightly reduced spellcasting (drop 2 or 3 levels over 10) but give extra bonuses and combat abilities in compensation. Looking at D8, 4+int skills, good fort and will, full BAB. Probably wanna start with playing around with damage types for each combat style, getting favoured enemy damage vs. undead (there's a feat and/or spell for this, consider finding and combining?) and being able to wear medium armour without the ranger abilities penalties.
Might actually crunch some numbers if you like the sound...?
Actually, I do like the sound of that Veklim! Your idea is pretty much exactly what I am looking for.

Cheers
Volf

Veklim
2011-05-19, 09:26 AM
OK, gimme a day or two and I'll get something started on here. As a preliminary, I'd say you'll want to be thinking along the lines of:

Requirements:
Class features: Favoured Enemy (undead), Animal Companion, Turn Undead, Access to 2nd level divine spells
Feats:Track, Empower Turning (Comp.D p81)
Skills:Knowledge (Religion) 10 ranks, Survival 5 ranks

If I'm right, this can actually be got at a few dozen different ways using just published ACFs, which I think is a good idea, honestly. It's built for a ranger/cleric (3/4) to be able to hit without trying, only needing one feat, and a good one at that, multiplies the turn check by 1.5 after all your modifiers.
Gonna play on turning and the animal companion as combat support, and basically merging the favoured enemy stuff from ranger with the turning/healing of the cleric. Undecided on spell progression, don't wanna stilt it too much though, combat will be the primary focus, but there will likely be a couple of SLA running off Cha or Wis /day to give alternatives. Most likely adding choice of bonus divine or fighter feat at 2, maybe 3 levels, and a healthy dose of flavour. Since you're the one who wants it, gimme a bit of fluff and concept, I'll see what comes to mind.

Volfogg
2011-05-19, 10:02 AM
Requirements:
Class features: Favoured Enemy (undead), Animal Companion, Turn Undead, Access to 2nd level divine spells
Feats:Track, Empower Turning (Comp.D p81)
Skills:Knowledge (Religion) 10 ranks, Survival 5 ranks
I like the requirements, however. I would change the Knowledge (Religion) requirement to 8 ranks. I would also remove the animal companion requirement as well. I really don't see this sort of character progressing that specific ability to be honest.

Since you're the one who wants it, gimme a bit of fluff and concept, I'll see what comes to mind.
You shall have some flavour text ... as soon as I return from work. ;p So far it appears that you understand exactly what I am going for! So thanks a bunch for all of your help! It's greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Volf

Veklim
2011-05-19, 11:02 AM
I like the requirements, however. I would change the Knowledge (Religion) requirement to 8 ranks.
Gotcha, fair enough.

I would also remove the animal companion requirement as well. I really don't see this sort of character progressing that specific ability to be honest.
I was planning on giving the animal companion a set of alternate abilities, including smites and divine damage to natural attacks, kinda faithful hound style to juxtapose the zombie hunter :smallamused:... no worries if you don't want it included, many other things I could do instead!

Volfogg
2011-05-19, 12:26 PM
You asked for it ... fluff!

Sacred Scourge

Undead. These, more than most other creatures, are reviled as an afront to nature and something that must be destroyed without remorse. It's not surprising that many take up the mantle of unholy vanquisher in order to rid the world of undead menaces. Though many call themselves slayer of the undead fewer still can call themselves a sacred scourge. These rare individuals combine the talents of an impeccible hunter with the holy power of a divine servant.

A sacred scourge combines their potent abilities to devastating effect against their most hated foe; undead. However, though focused, a scourge is unrelenting in the their pursuit of monsters and dangerous creatures which seek to harm the innocent. Because of this many that follow this path will take a favoured enemy which reflects possible supernatural or mundane menaces in their area.

Sacred scourges are usually found amongst the clergy of gods which are associated with hunting, nature or animals. They perceive undead as a disease which must be excised from the world as they disrupt the natural cycle of life and death.

This is a work in progress. As such I haven't bothered overly much with proper grammar/punctuation. I will revise this later when I have more time.

Cheers
Volf

Edit: Updated fluff slightly.

DracoDei
2011-05-19, 09:52 PM
Many undead are smelly.
Many animal companions can track by scent.
Animal companions can get more ranks in Survival as they gain HD I think.
Regardless of if they do get more ranks, I think having the class give the animal companion bonuses to tracking undead could be relevant to some interests...
Smiting and such are all very well and good, but, really, at the end of the day it is hit-point damage, and if all we wanted a combat machine we would take Leadership and get a Half-Orc Barbarian or something as our cohort.
Let the animals be INTERESTING.

Volfogg
2011-05-19, 10:17 PM
Many undead are smelly.
Many animal companions can track by scent.
Animal companions can get more ranks in Survival as they gain HD I think.
Regardless of if they do get more ranks, I think having the class give the animal companion bonuses to tracking undead could be relevant to some interests...
Smiting and such are all very well and good, but, really, at the end of the day it is hit-point damage, and if all we wanted a combat machine we would take Leadership and get a Half-Orc Barbarian or something as our cohort.
Let the animals be INTERESTING.
I agree, having an animal companion is very interesting, however. For the scope of my original idea I would prefer if the class did not have one. I am not to worried about wanting a combat machine ... divine power kinda fixes that for clerics if the need arises.

Another, more mundane, issue arises when traveling with animal companions, how do they accompany you into the "Deep Dark Well of Doom" to destroy the evil undead that lurk below. A lot of times it gets really tricky trying to figure out how to have your animal companion follow you into a crypt, or tomb, or whatever else. I am not saying it's impossible. It's just a real pain in the arse sometimes. :tongue:

Cheers
Volf

DracoDei
2011-05-19, 10:34 PM
Ah... I see...