PDA

View Full Version : Image Hosting: Preferences?

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-05-20, 08:08 AM
...So.

Basically I'm making this thread so folk can discuss the pros and cons of various image hosting sites as well as related stuff like hotlinking and bandwidth (which I understand very little about, personally).

At present I'm using Photobucket to host the images I post on GitP although I've also posted pictures online via Craftster (a crafting forum, surprisingly enough) and Facebook (not my favourite website. I'm on it due to peer pressure) but I wouldn't post photos or pictures from either of those sites on GitP.

Other options I've heard of include Imageshack, DeviantArt and Flickr. Oh, and presumably hosting images on blogs and hardcore self-built sites are options for some too. :smallbiggrin:

As of yet I've found photobucket pretty easy to use and haven't run into the bandwidth issue myself but there again I've not hosted a huge amount of images there (or anywhere) either so...

...yeah.:smallredface:

PS: Resizing images... I tend to prefer the results when I do that offline in the programme I made the image in rather than using the tools built into photobucket but that could just be 'cause I've not taken the time to get used to the photobucket rescale (and it usually crashes on me at least once before I'm done - think that might be my bad internet connection rather than photobucket but couldn't say for sure)

Serpentine
2011-05-20, 08:12 AM
I use Photobucket, and Devian Tart for, well, art, and Facebook for photos I've uploaded there anyway.
I've never had troubles of any sort with Photobucket (aside from some glitchiness, but I think that's due to connection rather than the site).

Dr.Epic
2011-05-20, 08:17 AM
I use Photobucket, and Devian Tart for, well, art, and Facebook for photos I've uploaded there anyway.
I've never had troubles of any sort with Photobucket (aside from some glitchiness, but I think that's due to connection rather than the site).

I used to use Photobucket, but the way images were viewed changed and I didn't like. I use imageshack now though.

Hyudra
2011-05-20, 08:28 AM
I used imageshack for a long while, but they kept doing these experiments where they didn't allow direct linking for images or they added caption bars or whatever to them. It became more of a headache than it was worth. Photobucket just always felt clunky.

I've been using Tinypic. It's clean, fast, and to the point, and does everything I need. I find the image resizing also works rather nicely. I've yet to have an image I hosted with it be taken down (for not being used for a while or whatever), too.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-20, 09:16 AM
I use photobucket 99% of the time. The other 1% is Imageshack when I make large bits of art, because photoshop can't handle pics over 1 megabyte.
I don't like Imageshack that much, mainly because it's constantly trying to download a virus to my computer. =\

lesser_minion
2011-05-20, 09:30 AM
I'm currently using imgur. It's not without its flaws, but it works, and it also gets brownie points for supporting OpenID.

I used to use Imageshack, but a lot of people apparently have issues seeing images that are hosted there.

Elder Tsofu
2011-05-20, 10:55 AM
I use photobucket, it works nicely as long as you don't have a couple of prolific people hotlinking their avatars from it. (I got the advanced in a weak moment, so personally I couldn't care less)
It is smooth and easy, but I don't use the editing tools since I do that better before uploading the image.

Savannah
2011-05-20, 04:43 PM
I use ImageShack, but I seem to keep having technical problems with it...

Does anyone know of anything else that:
1) Does not alter my image (Rumors that Photobucket converts everything to .jpeg: true or false?)
2) Allows me to create an account to keep all my images together
3) Allows me to upload images "privately" so that only someone with the direct link can find them
4) Is okay with large images/file sizes

Edit: 5) Is not Photobucket -- I've looked at it and I don't like it
I should also add that, of all ImageShack users I've talked to, I'm the only one that has problems with it. I'm quite sure it's something odd about my computer's security settings, although I have yet to track it down.

Domochevsky
2011-05-20, 06:57 PM
Well... both deviantArt and my own webspace are the ways to go for me. Especially the latter is great for hotlinking images directly into posts for all eternity. (Pretty much no size limit and no traffic limit are nice too.) :smallsmile:

Darklord Bright
2011-05-20, 07:07 PM
I occasionally upload to Dev, but tend to use Imageshack. Never really run into a problem with it - photobucket was much more finnicky and annoying to me, since I don't always upload things, and thus it was constantly threatening to close the account, and the resize sucked for me since most of my pictures were larger than they liked.

Trazoi
2011-05-20, 07:31 PM
I use imageshack for throw-away image hosting, mostly because it's so easy to load up the image and go. It's getting more finnicky about what it allows though, like clamping down on direct linking and animated GIFs without an account, so I'm slowly migrating towards tinypic.

If I start with a collection more important like an art practice drawing gallery I'll go to deviantart or use my own hosting.

billtodamax
2011-05-20, 09:33 PM
I use Tinypic whenever I need to upload an image. I usually don't make anything big, so I couldn't tell you if it re-sizes or not, but it works well and it's nice and simple.

araveugnitsuga
2011-05-20, 10:07 PM
I use ImageShack, but I seem to keep having technical problems with it...

Does anyone know of anything else that:
1) Does not alter my image (Rumors that Photobucket converts everything to .jpeg: true or false?)
2) Allows me to create an account to keep all my images together
3) Allows me to upload images "privately" so that only someone with the direct link can find them
4) Is okay with large images/file sizes

1) False, JPEG would mean no transparency, and my avatar has it so...
2)You HAVE to create an account to be able to use photobucket.
3)Photobucket does have private albums no one can access except you and those whom you allow.
4)Define Large, photobucket has a 1MB limit I believe.

Savannah
2011-05-20, 10:50 PM
3)Photobucket does have private albums no one can access except you and those whom you allow.

That's not quite what I meant, I don't think. I have all my images in ImageShack set to private, so when you look at my profile page none of them appear. However I can link to them on here and anywhere else and everyone can see them. Basically, I don't want anyone to be able to randomly look through images on the site and find mine.

I was actually looking for a non-Photobucket option that meets those criteria (which I should have specified, sorry), as I've been really unimpressed by Photobucket every time I read their privacy policy/terms of service or try to find out any information on them from their website.

Elder Tsofu
2011-05-21, 02:22 AM
That's not quite what I meant, I don't think. I have all my images in ImageShack set to private, so when you look at my profile page none of them appear. However I can link to them on here and anywhere else and everyone can see them. Basically, I don't want anyone to be able to randomly look through images on the site and find mine.

I know you aren't interested - but for completions sake that's exactly what you get with the private albums on photobucket.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 02:25 AM
Ah, cool. I wasn't sure if it was a different situation or us just wording it differently. Thanks :smallsmile:

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-05-21, 07:06 AM
Cool :smallcool:

Imgur* is a new one for me and whilst I'd heard of tinypic before I'd never really heard much about it. I think I'll be sticking with Photobucket for the time being but it's good to know what's out there. I'm not confident enough with programming (I basically don't know how to do it) yet to consider my own webspace as an option yet. Also, good to hear more about the private album settings - the explanations on site aren't always perfectly clear and it's tried to dissuade me from changing albums to "private" when I've thought about doing so in the past.

Still have mixed feelings on DeviantArt.

*Factoid: pronounced Image-er allegedly. Madness. :smalltongue:

Domochevsky
2011-05-21, 10:37 AM
You don't need to know any programming to use your own webspace. You just upload the picture and link it. :smallwink:

leakingpen
2011-05-24, 10:56 AM
Yeah, using your own webspace if you have it is EASY! Now, you're going to pay 5-10 a month for the webspace, but then, you just need to find multiple ways to use it.