PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Rocketship Empires 1936?

The_Admiral
2011-05-20, 11:39 PM
I got a secondhand copy of the pdf and only now I googled it and all I found was reviews and the most promising website was bust so what happened to the company?

Jude_H
2011-05-21, 02:56 AM
Just digging around a little bit, it looks like Rocketship Empires was released in early 2008 with 9 supplements planned over the first 4 months. Only 3 of those were ever released. The developer's blog cuts off in 2009, after a couple entries about being overwhelmed by the writing and publication processes and about the costs involved in con appearances.

I think this is just a writer/publisher being unprepared and the game going under. :/

myancey
2011-05-21, 09:28 PM
This setting looks pretty wicked from the rough review I found. Humanity as the demons of half the galactic religions, etc. Pretty cool sounding. Not sure on the game mechanics themselves though.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-21, 10:18 PM
Technically, there is none. It gives you statistics which you are then supposed to input/translate into your system of choice. This means you could play it in GURPS, D20, or almost any system with significant resolution.
That may be one reason it failed, despite the neat DieselPunk asthetic. Many DM's, by no means all, but for many, want something they can use "off the shelf."

myancey
2011-05-21, 10:41 PM
That's too bad. I like low-rule systems. I think I liked D&D the best when it was house rule'd more in my group. Easier to keep it in the mind's eye for some reason.